The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Anchorage vs Reno

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Mar 3, 2013
I'm planning to move somewhere permanently, and am leaning towards Alaska or Nevada, specifically within about 30 miles of either Anchorage or Reno. I don't like cold weather (hah), so Alaska is an odd option, but there is a lot of space and freedom there, and houses are cheap. I like Nevada, and Reno seems like the biggest city that does not get insanely hot. I would be doing remote self-employment work, so I mostly need good internet and realistic healthcare options. Alaska and Nevada seem to be business-friendly (fewer laws and taxes), and have legal marijuana. Any major disadvantages to either of those places related to being self-employed?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Move the chains

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Dec 15, 2019
I'm planning to move somewhere permanently, and am leaning towards Alaska or Nevada, specifically within about 30 miles of either Anchorage or Reno. I don't like cold weather (hah), so Alaska is an odd option, but there is a lot of space and freedom there, and houses are cheap. I like Nevada, and Reno seems like the biggest city that does not get insanely hot. I would be doing remote self-employment work, so I mostly need good internet and realistic healthcare options. Alaska and Nevada seem to be business-friendly (fewer laws and taxes), and have legal marijuana. Any major disadvantages to either of those places related to being self-employed?
Not been to either but Reno has been of interest. Not sure about the wildfires though - they seem pretty bad the last couple of years.

Have you looked into TX or FL? Seems a lot of businesses are moving to those states.

Maybe think about what you want to be doing when you're not working too and factor that into the area you decide on.

WestCoast

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
313%
Jan 20, 2008
Rhode Island for now.
Anchorage beats Reno... but, neither would be a first pick....

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Mar 3, 2013
Not been to either but Reno has been of interest. Not sure about the wildfires though - they seem pretty bad the last couple of years.

Have you looked into TX or FL? Seems a lot of businesses are moving to those states.

Maybe think about what you want to be doing when you're not working too and factor that into the area you decide on.
TX and FL do not have legal marijuana. I had not thought about wildfires, I will have to look in to that.

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Aug 13, 2018
In a grid-down scenario, people in Reno will die from lack of water. People in Anchorage will die from cold. Pick which "worst-case" scenario you'd prefer to deal with, if it came to that.

In a remote work, self-employment situation, good internet is probably going to be localized to fewer regions in the Anchorage area. Maybe @WJK could give insight on this and the available health care options.

Also take into account the extra amount of winter darkness in Anchorage if seasonal affective disorder affects you.

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
Look into Oklahoma, Tulsa is booming. I love it, been here a year. The cannabis is strong and inexpensive due to massive over supply. I get my Ozs of top shelf for 50 bucks now. The weather is not as cold as thought and get a lot of 70 degree days in winter, way better than when I was in Seattle. The summer heat is pretty depressing hot as heck though.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
I live in Alaska. I moved here permanently 19 years ago. I've been coming back and forth from the Lower 48 since 1975. I've owned property here for around half of those years.
I don't know who told you that houses are "cheap" within 30 miles of Anchorage. I think you might wanna revisit that issue.
Health care here is expensive compared to the Lower 48. I pay about $1,200 per month for my husband's major medical policy that has a very stiff deductible. And I have almost no other policies available. I am older than he is and we have about a year until he too will be on Medicare.
The strength of our internet depends on the provider and where you are accessing it. I must have a booster here at home for cell phone service. I have DSL for my internet. We live in the woods, and that can be a problem.
If you don't like cold weather, we only have 7 month winters each year. Right now, looking out my window, we have 5' of snow on the ground. Our piles of snow are about 10' tall. Anchorage hasn't gotten as much snow as we have.
So, why do I live here? I know that Alaska is a very unforgiving place. But, we are very happy here. We hunt and fish. We hike. We snowshoe. We cross-country ski. We take our snow machines, trackster, and Argo out on fun rides. We live in the woods surrounded by acres of my land. We cut wood for our winter fires. We harvest logs for our sawmill. We berry pick, forage, and hunt mushrooms each year. My husband goes gold panning almost every Saturday during our summers. I'm a big frog in a small pond here. We know the people in our community and I'm a leader here. The summers are glorious. The summers are so green in my woods that it almost hurts my eyes. The mountains, the Pacific, and the woods are SO beautiful. It's a lifestyle that we can't find elsewhere.

FYI -- I don't care about the legal marijuana issue. My most valuable asset is my brain. Why would I do anything that messes with that asset?

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Mar 3, 2013
I live in Alaska. I moved here permanently 19 years ago. I've been coming back and forth from the Lower 48 since 1975. I've owned property here for around half of those years.
I don't know who told you that houses are "cheap" within 30 miles of Anchorage. I think you might wanna revisit that issue.
Health care here is expensive compared to the Lower 48. I pay about $1,200 per month for my husband's major medical policy that has a very stiff deductible. And I have almost no other policies available. I am older than he is and we have about a year until he too will be on Medicare.
The strength of our internet depends on the provider and where you are accessing it. I must have a booster here at home for cell phone service. I have DSL for my internet. We live in the woods, and that can be a problem.
If you don't like cold weather, we only have 7 month winters each year. Right now, looking out my window, we have 5' of snow on the ground. Our piles of snow are about 10' tall. Anchorage hasn't gotten as much snow as we have.
So, why do I live here? I know that Alaska is a very unforgiving place. But, we are very happy here. We hunt and fish. We hike. We snowshoe. We cross-country ski. We take our snow machines, trackster, and Argo out on fun rides. We live in the woods surrounded by acres of my land. We cut wood for our winter fires. We harvest logs for our sawmill. We berry pick, forage, and hunt mushrooms each year. My husband goes gold panning almost every Saturday during our summers. I'm a big frog in a small pond here. We know the people in our community and I'm a leader here. The summers are glorious. The summers are so green in my woods that it almost hurts my eyes. The mountains, the Pacific, and the woods are SO beautiful. It's a lifestyle that we can't find elsewhere.

FYI -- I don't care about the legal marijuana issue. My most valuable asset is my brain. Why would I do anything that messes with that asset?

I saw several new houses under $350k that seem to sell in a few days, such as this one:

There are some smaller houses under $250k:

And really small under $150k:

Other places I've been looking, the houses are $400k+, that's why I thought the ones in AK were "cheap". Half of what I read says there will soon be total real estate crash, and the other half says prices will go up. I have no idea what to believe, but I am I going to move to state with legal marijuana, so I am thinking of buying this time instead of renting. The marijuana thing is a medicinal experiment I want to do, but can't because it is illegal in my current location. I'm not trying to harm my brain, I'm trying to fix it.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
I saw several new houses under $350k that seem to sell in a few days, such as this one:

There are some smaller houses under $250k:

And really small under $150k:

Other places I've been looking, the houses are $400k+, that's why I thought the ones in AK were "cheap". Half of what I read says there will soon be total real estate crash, and the other half says prices will go up. I have no idea what to believe, but I am I going to move to state with legal marijuana, so I am thinking of buying this time instead of renting. The marijuana thing is a medicinal experiment I want to do, but can't because it is illegal in my current location. I'm not trying to harm my brain, I'm trying to fix it.
May I suggest that you make a long visit before you make a big decision? In my area, many of the businesses don't hire newcomers until they make it through their first winter here. People come and then quickly go -- all the time.

Wasilla is about an hour north of Anchorage. It's a cute little town. Many people commute to Anchorage each day for work. North Pole is about 12 hours north of Anchorage in the interior. The biggest city close to it is Fairbanks. It gets -60 F degrees there during the winter. That's too cold for me.

The thing you must watch out for is how those houses are heated. We have natural gas where I am that helping with the heating bills.

Texas is small compared to Alaska. It will challenge your idea of big and far away.

Yes, you can get less expensive housing -- but generally not in Anchorage. I think that the average prices are similar to that $400,000 mark you have been looking at.

If you make this decision to come, you need a good 4 wheel drive vehicle. And cold-weather clothes.

There are medical uses for marijuana. My disabled friend uses it because otherwise, she stutters terribly. She is deaf in one ear and half deaf in the other. She has several health issues.

For me, I don't take anything from the pharmacy or other sources. I always have terrible side effects. It's not worth it. Also, using marijuana gives people the munchies. I'm on a program to control my blood pressure and metabolism. I sure don't want to do anything that would hinder all that effort I am making.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Mar 3, 2013
I may go to Montana. Not as far as Alaska, and not as hot as Nevada. Has a good business climate, and legal marijuana.

Last edited:

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
May I suggest moving to another country?

If medical marijuana is super important to you, here's a good list of countries where it's legal:

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Mar 3, 2013
May I suggest moving to another country?

If medical marijuana is super important to you, here's a good list of countries where it's legal:

I want to be able to use it recreationally, so I don't have to get some documented brain malfunction.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
I may go to Montana. Not as far as Alaska, and not as hot as Nevada. Has a good business climate, and legal marijuana.
I think that may be a better decision for you. The winters are shorter but still very cold.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.