The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

An AMAZING thing happened to my INCOME when I traded-in my rusty Honda for a Viper

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
Its because you bought the wrong car lol, I bought my Lamborghini Gallardo at age 26, last year and my life changed.
How has the Lambo changed your life?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
It stayed exactly the same.

It's a well kept secret, a secret that many know from personal experience, as they get out of their leased C-Class at the end of the day and wring their hands wondering how they're going to pay the bills. Millions know this truth personally, but refuse to acknowledge that it applies outside themselves, when they look jealously at others and think they must be living the good life. This is the truth: What you drive, what you wear, where you vacation, where you live-in the world of endless high APR loans and "everybody's approved" financing, has nothing to do with your actual value or net worth. Every day, culture is telling you to look at cars, clothes, make-up, sunglasses, phones, watches, headphones, shoes, and more to see who's really made it in life. It's all a sidewalkian scam.

This is Lil' Bow Wow rocking the Murci:

Bow-Wow.jpeg

In case you're wondering about his net worth, he's flat broke, and had to drive his Bentley to his boss' office to beg for a hand out:

Is Bow Wow Broke?

This is Eric Schmidt's personal car fitted with testing equipment for a project he's working on:

eric-schmidt-png_140450.png

He's a top executive at Google and is worth a touch over 8 billion dollars.

One of the biggest deceptions ever perpetrated on the public is the persistent notion that your value can be gauged by what you consume. That's as crazy as thinking that someone who eats a huge amount of food every day must be an athlete. The problem with that is that somebody who eats 6,000 calories per day can either look like this:

ronda-rousey.jpeg

Or like this:

Fat-2.jpg

But you have absolutely no idea which of the two they are until you see what they do with that energy-what they do with the resources they take in.

One of my first posts on this forum was about how I managed to parlay a low-paying slow lane job into a ball of money big enough to being my fastlane journey. I did it by waking up to this hoax and casting off the superficial trappings of the slow lane-that prosperity is defined by the amount you consume. A friend of mine is dating a broke, former convict, drug-addict bum who just got off welfare and now works at a pet store. He has a nicer car than I had until last year. He has an iPhone 5 with full data. I have the $100 Republic phone with the $25/mo plan. His (rented) house is as big as mine. He goes on nice weekend getaways almost once a month to Atlantic City, cruises several times a year, does regular clubbing, etc. I used to feel like I had no life by comparison.

One of the biggest barriers that you have to overcome is the sidewalk and slow-lane culture telling you you should feel like crap for not having the best phone, car, house, vacation, etc. you can afford. Every bit of success you get, it's crying out "Treat yourself NOW!" You can indulge NOW!" People need to recognize your success NOW!" Every cent you get, this mentality is just crying out for you to take it and consume-give it to someone else, because that is the only way that you can show your true value. For a long time, I felt mad that I had to conserve my resources while Mr. Welfare spent so freely doing all this fun stuff, and had all these cool toys. I was bitter about it until I realized the truth-My careful, production-focused spending wasn't something I had to suffer before I could reach success; it was actually a part of success.

Value and consumption are almost never tied together. Determine your value by looking at what's actually valuable-What you make, what you provide for others, what you do for the world. That is the way your value is defined, not by what you spend and consume.

Have some rep.

Surpasser

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 19, 2017
This thread is so awesome! I can definitely relate and I can tell you that Physicians seem to be especially vulnerable. What's truly interesting is seeing how my staff reacts to my car.

It has a hilarious (but cheap) paint job, has now 222K miles, is completely paid for, and is fine for now. I know that I could go spend cash for a newer car (and will have to eventually given the car's age and how much I drive for work), but I would so much rather have the money to plow into my business than dump it down the drain!

My staff?

"Dr IWU! Why are you driving that POS? Nice doctor like you should at least be driving a BMW! Heck, I drive a better car than you!!"

Which naturally leads to the following responses:

* "Well, my baby is paid for. Is yours? No? You're on a payment plan? Oh, you're leasing (aka "fleecing") the car? Ah, yeah, well us doctors aren't as rich as we used to be....."

Don't get me wrong...I want a nice car. I really want one. But it doesn't make sense...yet. It would be like eating a dozen donuts a day while trying to lose weight..Nonsensical
--
Colleague doc, I feel the same. I feel best with $$$$$$$$$$$ in the bank and basic utilities that serve their purpose. I developed a reflex when I get a hardon when I look at my asset status growing. And with that comes silent confidence.
Another bonus - I dont give a shit for my car in terms of leaving it parked anywhere overnight. Its an old opel that drives by unnoticed, but gets me wherever I need to be. I can put that fella in any nasty spot while whistling some 90's pop songs and I honestly wouldnt notice any scratches since its already scratched as F*ck.
I love that car.

NewManRising

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 30, 2017
Los Angeles
I realized this exact thing not too long ago. You have wealth when you can control the cashflow. A lot of people don't understand this. They have debts and liabilities and their income comes in and and goes right out.

A smart person knows that if you control your cashflow you will build wealth. Really, your only enemy or thing to worry about is The System. Understand how it works, play the game correctly, and eventually beat it. The competition or fight is not with other people. Yet, they have made everyone focus on competing with others to the point they are broke and screwed themselves. When I see people with houses (with mortgages), cars (with monthly payments), a bunch of kids, I just shake my head and see that they have lost and don't even know it. And some people with high income jobs do the same but they just buy nicer/bigger houses, nicer or additional cars, etc.

I don't consider myself as a person who has high income but I have more wealth than some people who make 2-3x what I make. This is because I have no debts or liabilities. I am in way more better financial shape than them. I have more freedom and options. If I don't have a job I can still be fine for awhile because my only expenses are food and gas for my car. People don't understand you can live really simple. And living really simple can/is key to building wealth, especially in the beginning. I could literally camp out somewhere, live in my car, rent a small place, etc. The problem I find with some people is they can't live simple. They live to impress and be among the idiots who want to live like they are "living the life" with all kinds of useless crap. In other words, they need validation from others.

LittleJohn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Aug 30, 2018
Northeast USA
Great post. Thanks for putting so much effort into it.

Reminds me of a line I wish I could attribute to the rightful author:

Too many people spend too much of their lives doing something they hate to buy stuff they don't need to impress people they don't know.

Kinda silly really.

Rep transferred sir.
Ive heard that line from Dave Ramsey quite a bit :)

LittleJohn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Aug 30, 2018
Northeast USA
I went through a similar experience. I purchased (ahem, financed), a 2008 Bullitt Mustang in 2008. I had wanted to sell it for a few years, but had been upside down on it. As my mindset had shifted from consume and take from the world to create and give something to the world, I realized, I did not need all the crap that I had, including the car. In my mind, I hadn't earned the car, and every time I drove it, I felt out of place and empty. All of my friends and family kept telling me that I would regret selling it and that I shouldn't do it. But they are all sidewalkers/slowlaners, and they mean well, but they don't understand where I was coming from and where I wanted to go with my life. I sold the car and it was the proverbial monkey off of my back; I paid off debt with what I made from selling it. I now drive a 1994 Crown Victoria with a stuck odometer and faded paint and I couldn't be happier.

I don't have a problem with someone who can afford a nice car, but I've realized that most of the people today who drive the nice new cars are financing them and trading their time for money. I'm still working on my fastlane and letting go of many of the things that I once believed I needed to be happy, but now realize they were holding me back and were a trap. It's a shame that so many people believe the hype that is espoused by the media and by society at large: that if we don't have the latest and greatest thing, we are missing out. If only people (myself included) would realize that buying/financing consumer goods just to "fit in" is no way to live and that no matter what you buy, it's not going to make you any more appealing to others. All you end up with is a bunch of stuff that you didn't need to begin with.

Granted I've only read up to this post thus far in this thread so i can only go by what i see now but It seems like you should give yourself more credit. It seems like you do understand the consumer mindset is a trap and its better to be on the creator side.

After our shift my wife and I have a pretty small (if any) attachment to 'stuff'. But, as a result of our changes that allow us to live below our means I got to leave my corporate time/life suck (read: job) while she happily supports us working as a nurse while i get to pursue entrepreneurship.
Going back top stuff - its funny/comical/a bit crazy to see others (my MIL) reaction to when we decided to sell everything (fire sale) and move across country. Or when we shun her filling our dwelling with shit (knick knacks, same things kids already have different color, etc.)
No rant intended - sorry for any hijack. I just wanted to acknowledge that it seemed upon reading this comment hat you should give yourself more credit.

LittleJohn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Aug 30, 2018
Northeast USA
Great post, minus that fact that if everyone thought like this there wouldn't be much of a Fastlane haha.
These thoughts usually come through my head as well...
While I am one of the farthest away from authority in these economic matters,
if not, the farthest away from being able to comment intelligently - Ill hide behind my keyboard and suggest that because of 'relativity'? or some kind of natural balancing principal on earth that this scenario would present new and different opportunities to capitalize through business means.

I cant necessarily explain why i think this way but for some reason i choose to believe it. Perhaps it stems from my abundance mentality.

LittleJohn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Aug 30, 2018
Northeast USA
* Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations, and demand proof.

/soapbox
Lot of good stuff here..

However (and there is no voice tone but there is context so..) I am choosing to air my grievance/disagreement :)

I admit when i read this my moral compass began to spin around...Integrity, taking responsibility, countering to potentially shift blame / attention, (demand proof = no problem ;) )

Am I a simple fool who may lack situational discernment or is my compass spinning for good reason?

LittleJohn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Aug 30, 2018
Northeast USA
Hey Man, thanks for this post! I needed that at this point in my life. It's just sometimes silly when you think about it, that there are many biases in human thinking and most of them we carry on with us because of the simple reason - that we take things for granted. ;S I rarely go to Facebook because I'm working most of the time, but I went to check what's new out there today and I saw an acquitance, who was the same age as me, but looked better and had more things to show for the world. Of course I got jealous at first and felt miserable, but just like you say : " One of the biggest deceptions ever perpetrated on the public is the persistent notion that your value can be gauged by what you consume ". Thanks!

Despite being a millennial ( i identify with millennial and the one before me, gen y/next or whatever) I have had very limited Facebook time and really none for like 8 years now. I think it started because i didn't have shit (no social proof) to put out there and now (still no eye opening social proof that anyone would be like WOW about) but I see the research and the qualitative feedback like you are stating and recognizing my own feelings I know that shit cant be a blessing. Only a distraction. Maybe i'm all wrong here but that ill leave to others i suppose. To me its this social construct that provides yet another outlet for more B.S.

I don't know about you but I get really happy when i meet someone that i end up having a real meaningful conversation with that breaks through the 'surface' and where they open up and aren't afraid to vulnerably admit the truth. Too often I find i am disappointed at the level of interaction i have with others because it rarely seems to go beyond surface pleasantries / horse shit they spew that just doesn't add up or make sense.
I do realize this could in part be 'my issue' that needs work but i also do strongly believe its because people are generally more concerned with the 'image' than the true reality.

/rant

:)

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I am so glad this thread came up. I am noticing more and more and more people totally allergic to money.

It is an epidemic. I know several people. High income people. That as SOON as they have 5-10 grand burning a hole in their pocket they buy stuff.

It is ridiculous beyond measure to gauge someone's income or value based on their consumption.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I am so glad this thread came up. I am noticing more and more and more people totally allergic to money.

It is an epidemic. I know several people. High income people. That as SOON as they have 5-10 grand burning a hole in their pocket they buy stuff.

It is ridiculous beyond measure to gauge someone's income or value based on their consumption.
I know people who literally say when they get a bonus: “I’d better spend this before it goes.”

Huh?

Madame Peccato

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jul 14, 2018
Morbegno, Italy
I know people who literally say when they get a bonus: “I’d better spend this before it goes.”

Huh?

My parents keep telling me "Money is meant to be spent". They are not wrong per se, but it seems like the advice they used to give me when I was a kid and had some money saved up from birthday gifts etc "spend wisely" has been thrown out of the window now that I'm an adult, and that I should spend as much as possible for no real reason.

What went wrong?

We all know the answer, and it is right in this thread (and all over this forum, and MJ's books, and around us)

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Two friends of mine are the antithisis to the spending free for all.

One owns several large apartment complexes. Probably worth 40 million+. He drives... a 10 year old Nissan Armada he bought 3 years ago.

The other one is a retired CEO of a fortune 500 company. Probably worth 20+ million. Lives in a 200k town home.

Money talks and wealth whispers.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja

Hey hey hey... money allergy is an equal opportunity employer.. not just for the wealthy

Screen Shot 2018-10-06 at 3.46.14 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-10-06 at 3.49.35 PM.png

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv5JSL4d344

Suzanne Bazemore

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Sep 30, 2018
Spring, TX
True story. Nowadays is all about status and looking for the best photo to put in the social media.

People forget that after the excitment of having a new toy pass, nobody cares about your fancy car and you will not care either, but you still have to worry about paying the car or sustain the car.

People focus less in being good at socializing with people, and focus more in appearing awesome to other people and telling those amazing stories about their toys and trips and other consuming stories.

And then they go home, spend another week slaving themselves in a job they probably dont like , waiting for a weekend to show their friends their new planned consuming aquisition.

Everybody have their own preferences on how to spend their resources and we should not judge them, but the fact is, most people dont see any advantage in having that lifestlye, they feel bad, and they still continue with that rat race, because is what other people see as a "success".
What's interesting to me is that not everyone is a consumer. Some people are frugal, like me, but it's still hard to get ahead because someone else is holding the reins to our lives, and we are allowing it. TMF and Unscripted have opened my eyes. I won't get ahead without taking control of my own destiny.

James Klymus

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 28, 2018
Chicago, Illinois
This made me think about what's going on lately with covid. When it first started, I remember every dealership/car manufacturer commercial saying "We're here to help, Get an 84 month loan at 0% and no payments for 3 months."

Im sorry? You're HELPING me by getting me into an 87 month payment plan on a $40,000 car? At that term you'll certainly be under water the ENTIRE loan if you only make minimum payments. And then you're STUCK with the car, and if you want to get rid of it youll have to pay thousands out of your own pocket just to sell the damn thing.

Or you could roll the balance over into another car loan when you get tired of the car after 2 years, digging you deeper in the hole. Why not? YOLO!

This is the type of predatory lending shit that MJ talks about.

You get some sheep off the street who doesn't even know what a savings account is, You get them in a car for a test drive, Tell them the car is only $400 a month, and next thing they know they're in the finance office getting a $3000 warranty tacked on. They leave $40,000 in debt, and a slave to JP Morgan Chase for the next 87 months.

For those of you who don't know: People who say they're helping you by getting you into consumer debt, AREN'T helping you. They're keeping you in the rat race and the script.

If you can't afford it cash, do your self a favor and keep driving the corolla or civic.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.