The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

All I have is my idea! Where should I go from here?

Idea threads

Kevinthepro

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 5, 2013
Hello everyone! I'm still pretty new to this forum, but, I've already learned quite a bit! Anyways, I apologize if this is a repost, but, I've searched through the forums, and I can't find my specific question.

I have an idea for a widget, that can be added to websites. It fills a very specific need, and I think it could help retail sites especially. All I have is the idea, and I'm not sure what direction to go in. I've searched through patents, and found similar ideas, but nothing that's a carbon copy of mine.

I have basic computer experience, but, I wouldn't know how to build this widget on my own. What is my next step?

Thanks for your time, I look forward to the advice!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Not sure such a thing would be patentable. My advice for folks with big ideas is just take one step at a time. Break apart your full execution plan in steps. A+B+C+D+E+F+G+H+I+K = Completed Concept. Then, attack A, and ONLY A. Solve A. Work on A. Don't worry about D, F, of K. Solve A, move to B. Solve B. Move to C. By the time you get to K, you'll have mastered execution and have a working product.

Kevinthepro

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 5, 2013
Not sure such a thing would be patentable. My advice for folks with big ideas is just take one step at a time. Break apart your full execution plan in steps. A+B+C+D+E+F+G+H+I+K = Completed Concept. Then, attack A, and ONLY A. Solve A. Work on A. Don't worry about D, F, of K. Solve A, move to B. Solve B. Move to C. By the time you get to K, you'll have mastered execution and have a working product.

That makes a lot sense. Thank you. With things like this, it seems stupid to attack the whole project at once. With so many things to factor, and deal with, taking them little by little, one step at a time, seems like the best option. It seems like I'll have to learn, everything I can, about part A, which will naturally bring me into part B, and so on.

Chazmania

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
May 23, 2013
USA
Then, attack A, and ONLY A. Solve A. Work on A. Don't worry about D, F, of K.

That is so true. I like to think of it as "dumbing down", because the smarter we try to be, the less work gets done sometimes. You can't think your way out of it - it just has to be executed. I've embraced that concept when working on large renovation projects with the rentals.

My self-talk: "Ok forget that everything inside and outside needs to be done - just pick up the paint brush/nail gun/spackle knife etc, and don't even look at anything else until that part is done." Then move on to next step and repeat. Yes it's tedious and your mind is screaming to bail-out, but you just have to keep plugging away.

I've renovated entire houses on my own and saved tens of thousands by focusing on one step at a time.

TedM

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
May 21, 2013
Israel
That is so true. I like to think of it as "dumbing down", because the smarter we try to be, the less work gets done sometimes.

It's called "First things first."

Chazmania

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
May 23, 2013
USA
It's called "First things first."
No not really, because there are times when the "first" or "best next" step isn't clear, but there's plenty to do and it's better to do something and get momentum than do nothing at all.

IAmTheJeff

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 5, 2014
Philadelphia, Pa
No not really, because there are times when the "first" or "best next" step isn't clear, but there's plenty to do and it's better to do something and get momentum than do nothing at all.
If you're working on something that's not going to succeed, you're wasting your time and spinning your wheels. First thing first is a good way to increase your chances of success, or send you back to the drawing board. But why waste months "just doing something" when you should be doing things that are efficiently going to improve your success rate?

Chazmania

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
May 23, 2013
USA
If you're working on something that's not going to succeed, you're wasting your time and spinning your wheels. First thing first is a good way to increase your chances of success, or send you back to the drawing board. But why waste months "just doing something" when you should be doing things that are efficiently going to improve your success rate?

I was referring to already successfully completed projects in that post - so how could it be spinning my wheels? It has succeeded because I took massive action and attacked it from all available angles when I felt like I was "stuck", and coming up with a new strategy midstream. You're totally missing the point. There was no "back to the drawing board" - there was only "completion".

There's always a plan of what you think will happen, and then there's what really happens when you're in the deep water of committing to finishing something that you set out to do. It's not always clear what the next step should be but there's always multiple options that you could take action on while you're catching your balance and creating a new list of steps.

I'm not talking about not planning and not doing the first planned step first - I'm talking about pushing forward when you're already in the middle of something even when it's not obvious what the next step is. I always plan out steps - but life doesn't go as planned all the time does it?

And, don't tell me I've wasted my time - the projects I'm referring to are already up and running and consistently putting money in my pocket, as well as the experience of pushing through no matter what bullshit pops up during step #1 or step #104.

Trust me I believe 100% in "first things first" but when you get thrown a curve ball in the middle of step #1 or #5 or whatever, you still need to be action oriented and get the whole project done. "Back to the drawing board" for me is only when all other options won't work, and I will try all options exhaustively. I'm creative and persistent, and aware that plans aren't reality, they're just an educated guess. Good luck, and let me know how your first big project goes in the real world.

IAmTheJeff

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 5, 2014
Philadelphia, Pa
So sorry to have upset you.........since I posted that a week+ ago, I looked back to see what may have caused confusion. I believe I took what you said out of context, based on the quote by TedM.

I really want to know why you took that so personally. Is everything ok? Do you need advice or encouragement? Is there anything that anyone on the forum can help you with? Not being a douche - I'm being serious.

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
I've searched through patents, and found similar ideas, but nothing that's a carbon copy of mine.

Patents for a widget? No buddy, you have a few choices:

a) learn programming yourself (might take a long time)
b) partner with a friend who knows programming (you can help with the marketing etc)
c) hire a programmer from oDesk or other freelance sites to do it for you.

But first and foremost, validate your idea before spending any time or money hiring someone.
Contact some of your targeted customers and ask them specific questions, how much your product would help them save or earn more money in their current business etc.

Chazmania

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
May 23, 2013
USA
So sorry to have upset you.........since I posted that a week+ ago, I looked back to see what may have caused confusion. I believe I took what you said out of context, based on the quote by TedM.

I really want to know why you took that so personally. Is everything ok? Do you need advice or encouragement? Is there anything that anyone on the forum can help you with? Not being a douche - I'm being serious.

I understand you're confused and took my post out of context, that's why I clarified to help you understand. It shows that you don't yet understand "process". For example: it's kinda like looking for a $5k per week "event" by Christmas of this year without really creating $5k per week in value 1st, ya know? As for me though - I'm more than ok and truly never better, thank you for asking. I really do wish you the best of luck in business and life.

Last edited:

IAmTheJeff

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 5, 2014
Philadelphia, Pa
No, no...I do understand process, and yes I do know exactly what you're saying. I just didn't read anything above TedM's post, where he quoted only a small portion of your comment. From that, I could extrapolate that you were only in the beginning stages, not that you were already as far along as you are.

My own ignorance caused my misunderstanding. And for that, I apologize.

Chazmania

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
May 23, 2013
USA
No, no...I do understand process, and yes I do know exactly what you're saying. I just didn't read anything above TedM's post, where he quoted only a small portion of your comment. From that, I could extrapolate that you were only in the beginning stages, not that you were already as far along as you are.

My own ignorance caused my misunderstanding. And for that, I apologize.

No problem at all, just a simple mis-understanding. I probably did a poor job of explaining it to begin with if it was mis-understood. All the best.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.