The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Alcohol drinking habits

Anything related to matters of the mind

Benjamin Pavliha

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Oct 18, 2022
Dubai, UAE
Hey everyone, quite new to the forum here, so thought I would share some of my experience.

Over the past years I have worked with 3 different global corporate companies in 4 different countries, and I have witnessed that drinking alcohol was the main activity that me and my work colleagues used to do in order to relieve the stress associated with work, sometimes even daily, which further developed my alcohol addiction.

As I'm starting with my entrepreneurial journey right now, I'm just wondering if you have noticed similar alcohol drinking patterns in the entrepreneurial world. Do you feel like drinking alcohol is accepted and even promoted amongst entrepreneurs?

P.S. I understand this is a very sensitive topic, so feel free to DM me in case you don't want to discuss it in the comment section.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
541%
Apr 17, 2022
Do you feel like drinking alcohol is accepted and even promoted amongst entrepreneurs?
It doesn't matter what other people do or what society believes is right.

If something causes you harm, stop doing it. If it enables you to live a better live, keep doing it.

Spenny

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
Do you feel like drinking alcohol is accepted and even promoted amongst entrepreneurs?
Accepted, but I don't think promoted. If it causes you harm in the way of an addiction, real friends wouldn't push that onto you.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
Hey everyone, quite new to the forum here, so thought I would share some of my experience.

Over the past years I have worked with 3 different global corporate companies in 4 different countries, and I have witnessed that drinking alcohol was the main activity that me and my work colleagues used to do in order to relieve the stress associated with work, sometimes even daily, which further developed my alcohol addiction.

As I'm starting with my entrepreneurial journey right now, I'm just wondering if you have noticed similar alcohol drinking patterns in the entrepreneurial world. Do you feel like drinking alcohol is accepted and even promoted amongst entrepreneurs?

P.S. I understand this is a very sensitive topic, so feel free to DM me in case you don't want to discuss it in the comment section.
I almost never drink alcohol.

The beauty of entrepreneurship is you make your own rules. That’s freedom.

Put it another way, if you just follow the herd, like drinking because everyone seems to be doing it, that’s the opposite of how great businesses are built. You should have a solid footing, a centre. Then create the life you want. One little step at a time.

For stress, many of us choose : exercise, meditation, reading etc. Booze is a weak tool for stress management, in fact it might just do the opposite.

Jobless

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jun 8, 2017
EU
It is an enjoyable social lubricant in the short-term, but it creates stress and hampers productivity long-term. Main danger of alcohol is not the damage to health etc. but rather you doing something idiotic while drunk that has long-lasting consequences. In a business-related setting, this could be very simple, such as divulging information that is supposed to be confidential.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I don’t “go drinking” I’ll have a drink with dinner on occasion. No one I have ever worked with didn’t accept my desire not to get drunk.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Alcohol does something to you. It changes you. And I don’t mean that when you get “drunk”.

It makes you unproductive, foolish and sluggish. It makes you feel like you are winning when you are really not.

I’ve cut out all alcohol from my life and have seen nothing but benefits.

Boogie

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Nov 27, 2014
Midwest, USA
To me, drinking booze to try to relax or feel better is the start down the slippery slope. I've been around too many alcoholics in my life and seen trail of destruction they've left in their and their families lives, the deaths, divorces, disfigurements, financial ruin, prison, and the pleasure of ending up living on the streets.

I do drink one on occasion for taste, mostly because one of my friends owns a craft beer bar. I make it a point to never drink because I'm stressed. That to me is the ultimate weakness and danger of it all.

When I was fresh out of school and didn't want to go where there might be drinking, my dad who owned a construction company told me I should still go out with people to not seem like a snob. Just get a soft drink and leave if things get out of hand.

The fact that someone is white collar or blue collar, an entrepreneur or in big business or a coal miner relaxing doesn't matter. It's all the same. The drug finds someone who is weak and makes them weaker.

Spenny

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
Main danger of alcohol is not the damage to health etc. but rather you doing something idiotic while drunk that has long-lasting consequences.
Amen, I fell over once and nearly broke my jaw. I try to be more careful.

NakedAmbition

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Sep 3, 2018
I don't think drinking or not drinking is an entrepreneur trait.

Some of the most successful claim to be healthier than most people.

There's so some who have issues with it.

Personally for me, I drink socially and on the weekends.

But I have my limits.

If alcohol is a problem for someone, I say good for them for realizing that. Most people don't before it's too late.

If you notice issues with your drinking habits, cut it out as soon as possible.

Last edited:

fridge

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
Jun 4, 2020
USA
Out of all the substances, I think alcohol is one of the worst to get caught up in addiction wise. In my opinion, a drink here or there when you're out certainly won't hurt.

As long as you're exercising, eating right, sleeping and recovering mentally through rest, hobbies and relationships, I don't see how a drink every week or two would be a devastating thing.

The real problem comes, as with all drugs and substances, in addiction. If you can't function, sleep, produce, or be your self without a substance, theres likely an underlying problem or addiction.

Make no mistake about it, a physiological addiction to alcohol will make your life a living hell - one of the only two substances (the other being benzos) you can die from withdrawals from.

WestCoast

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jan 20, 2008
Rhode Island for now.
I don't drink at all.

18 years of growing a business - now approaching $25M/year.
I just simply couldn't imagine spending time on booze.

I go to bed early, get up early, work hard.
Boozing it up doesn't fit anywhere in that.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
It depends a lot on the culture of where you are. I'm English living in Ireland. Drinks are a big part of both our cultures.

I used to go out a lot. Now I'm bored of it, but enjoy going down the pub when England play Ireland at rugby.

If I'm at a function and others are drinking I don't feel pressured to do so if I don't want to. It's my choice.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
I haven’t drank alcohol since I had a glass of champagne for New Year’s. That’s pretty much my only consumption for an entire year.

Drinking alcohol gives me a high heart rate, and makes concentrating more difficult. I literarily find 0 benefits and many downsides.

Strm

Mamba Mentality!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Feb 4, 2018
Estonia
Amen, I fell over once and nearly broke my jaw. I try to be more careful.

Uhh thats tough. I had a similar accident when I was young and wasted, fell down and hit my face against the frame of the bed, needed stitches on eyebrow and right below the eye too. 1cm here or there and would have probably lost my right eye. So yes, need to be careful! :D

I rarely drink now and in my opinion and experience it is more tolerated/promoted by people who are working regular jobs. It's like "What do you mean you dont want to go out and get drunk? It's F*cking friday!" . And people are amazed why I don't hang around anymore.
Not seeing this so much in the entrepreneurial world.

Occasional drink may not be bad though but to each their own and for many people it is better to just cut it out entirely. Alcohol also messes up my sleep and my heart rate goes up so I feel like shit the next morning even after a couple of beers.

Last edited:

Spenny

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
"What do you mean you dont want to go out and get drunk? It's F*cking friday!"
This. People will look at you like youre also crazy for working on weekends too.

Consolation

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Sep 6, 2017
Malaysia
I've met someone who ran a succesful business, and against his religious beliefs, drinks alcohol. Good guy, easy to hang out with, also a father. When his partner screwed up the business, my man told his son to help him instead of sending him to school. I love working under him, because there are thousands of business lessons I gained from.

Unfortunately, he' has to go for regular dialysis now. Wether alcohol contributes to that, I have no idea.

If you read Mark Cuban early days, he never care about hangover the next morning. In fact, he would spend the time to read computer manuals, recovering from the hangover.

As for me, I drink only on occasion. Not like I used to during college. The next day would be hell. It's so hard to concentrate on even one thing.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
Had one of the worst days of my year today, and have to admit, a beer made me feel a hell of a lot better.

As Krusty the clown would say... Everything's gonna be ooooooookkkkkkkkkk.... :happy:

I would be embarrassed to be seen drunk these days though. I feel like alcohol is becoming a bit stigmatized and pathetic looking, much like cigarettes.

I would feel a bit lame to go on a date and drink water though.

Minuz

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Nov 19, 2019
Acohol is worst thing ever. I drink when going out but altho i enjoy it at the moment next day sucks. Also it only has negative impact in our life, nothing positive.
You can drink a few beers a week and nothing will happen ofcourse , but if you can avoid it its even better.

Mammoth

Amor Fati
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Dec 4, 2019
México
In my experience, there are some people out there who can handle booze and not have it negatively effect their life.

The vast majority of people can't and should stay away from it.

Choate

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Mar 25, 2014
Boston
Due to cultural pressure, you have to set clear boundaries for yourself with alcohol, regardless of whether you've had one drink this year or go out every weekend.

In the previous two years, I barely drank at all. This year, in retrospect, it seems I slipped up. No consequences, but I can (and must) do better. Started going out with a woman earlier in the year and we've done things like attend weddings, take trips, family holiday functions, etc. There have been a handful of times where I've had 5+ drinks. I don't like that at all. I want there to be 0 times where I have between 5+ drinks. I'm ok with having a drink or two on occasion but as a health conscious person, no more than that.

It's more than just alcohol impacting your life. If you want to be a high performance person in all areas of life, you simply can't afford to have nights where you have 5+ drinks.

I'm attending a Christmas party in mid December. Then there's Christmas Eve and New Years. My goal is to not have anymore than 1-2 drinks on any of these three occasions.

What's your goal?

Bones81

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jul 29, 2019
I guess entrepreneurs can be a bit different in the sense that they set the culture of their business. So if the owner wants to go out for drinks a lot, it could lead to some issues. It really depends on the dynamics of the individuals involved.

I've worked for various large banks here in the States and they've all been different. The UK bank I worked for here had a lot of English expats and the bank kept the kitchen fridge stocked with beer, wine, and champagne. It was definitely a pub culture and drinking was common. It lead to a bit of trouble occasionally but was also the most fun I've had working and I'm still close with a lot of those guys. Other banks, no one went out for drinks ever. You just showed up, did your job, and went home.

Ultimately, it's up to the individual to know their limits and if they can handle it or not. Personally, I'm purely a social drinker; I only drink when I'm out with other people and I know that if I go beyond 2 or 3, it has the potential to turn into an all-nighter, so I have to be mindful when it gets to that point. Fortunately, I've never developed a craving for alcohol, drank alone, etc., and I don't go out as much now that I'm older, so it's not really an issues for me now a days.

Panos Daras

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Oct 10, 2022
I quit alcohol for 2 years now and a whole new world has unravelled (I was usually not overdirinking btw).
The thing is, life is much better without it. You have so much more clarity the next day, and your mind just works better in general due to the better quality of sleep.
Stoping drinking also helped me control my weight. Alcohol is full of empty calories.
You also gain control of your life in general
Just quit and see what happens.
You may read Allen Carr's EasyWay book to do that and it provides all the reason one by one on why.
Don't drink because most of the people drink.
Be different.

Shono

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Aug 8, 2021
Had one of the worst days of my year today, and have to admit, a beer made me feel a hell of a lot better.

As Krusty the clown would say... Everything's gonna be ooooooookkkkkkkkkk.... :happy:

I would be embarrassed to be seen drunk these days though. I feel like alcohol is becoming a bit stigmatized and pathetic looking, much like cigarettes.

I would feel a bit lame to go on a date and drink water though.
be it as it is really not tyhough jsut what you said yourself, probably.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Here is a great podcast on alcohol by Andrew Huberman.

Alcohol, even just "one" a day or "one" a week, affects neuroplasticity. In other words it basically keeps you from changing yourself. Yup.

So if you are depressed or have anxiety. Good luck changing as long as you gulp down those 7% ABV Hazy IPAs.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkS1pkKpILY

Shono

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Aug 8, 2021
Here is a great podcast on alcohol by Andrew Huberman.

Alcohol, even just "one" a day or "one" a week, affects neuroplasticity. In other words it basically keeps you from changing yourself. Yup.

So if you are depressed or have anxiety. Good luck changing as long as you gulp down those 7% ABV Hazy IPAs.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkS1pkKpILY
Is this actually true??? How severe are the implications?

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore

Alcohol and tobacco are in the same category. There is no such thing as moderation. Having none of them is still better than sometimes.

steve schweitzer

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
341%
Oct 18, 2015
alma, arkansas
Alcohol and tobacco are in the same category. There is no such thing as moderation. Having none of them is still better than sometimes.
I would also like to add cannabis to that list of never touch drugs if you value your brain.

Watch Hubermans episode on weed and brain health and I can assure you that you will never consider putting that chemical in your brain.

I used to think weed was pretty benign and harmless. Maybe 30 years ago it was different but this super high thc content frankenweed out now and especially these pure thc concentrates and vape carts will really do a number on your brain and could potentially cause permanent damage.

I think we are setting up our society to have a bunch a highly addicted people in a few years since the high school kids seem to really love these thc vape carts.

The amount of damage being done to these developing brains in truly staggering.

David Fitz

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 30, 2020
Ireland
I don't think giving up alcohol gets talked about enough in the entrepreneurial world.

You always hear people talk about how a $4 coffee is a waste of money but what about $7 pints and you can't just have one, you need 15.

You can't make your best decisions when groggy and hung over. One night out can cost you 3 days of feeling like crap.

I'm from Ireland and gave up drinking 3 year's ago. It's a huge part of our culture here and since I gave it up I've noticed Ireland is not a place I want to live in anymore. There's not much to do here if you don't drink and sit in a pub.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.