The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

O/T: HEALTH 2020 resolution: No drinking alcohol for a year.

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

strick

Bronze Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Sep 21, 2018
I haven't consumed any alcohol for the last month and it has been amazing. Over the last month, I've felt like I have super powers! (I've never been really good with moderation, so I may be getting more positive benefits compared to others)

I feel so good, that I'm going to commit to going all of next year sober to see what happens. While almost everyone else is starting the first day of the new year tired and hungover, I'm getting up at the crack of dawn to get after my goals!

Some of the positives from living sober over the last month:

- All of the TIME I get back! I didn't realize how much time I wasted drinking, thinking about drinking, or attending stupid social events. I now spend the extra time working on my business, fitness, reading, being a better husband/dad, etc

- I've been jumping out of bed every morning at 4:30 AM excited to start the day. I hit the gym first thing in the morning and this sets the tone for my day.

- I feel alert, energetic, and just all around happier. My thinking is clearer and I'm doing better work.

- Saving money!

- Dropped a lot of loser friends(also hear a lot of shit, because these people don't like it when you try to better yourself)

- I don't say or do dumb shit that I later regret. I'm fully in control.

- No hangovers. Instead, I wake up early, sip on coffee, and think about how grateful I am to not be hungover and ready to get after my goals!

- People keep telling me I look great( I think my skin has cleared up or something)

- I used to get depressed a lot, now those feelings are gone.

- I sleep like a baby and feel well rested when I wake up.

- Less anxiety, especially now that I'm exercising more. I'm actually starting to feel CALM, no matter what's going on.

- I'm a better person. I once heard somebody ask a successful man I admire, "Why don't you drink alcohol?" and he responded, "It doesn't make me better." I think he's on to something!

If you're interested, give it a shot! I have no regrets.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Last edited:

NickNack

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Mar 11, 2018
Australia
Awesome!

I can attest to all of the above. I've been just a week dry today - my wife and I did an IVF cycle last week to try for our second kid, so I'm foregoing the evening glass (or two) of wine in solidarity. The very least I can do given what she's gone through!

I feel GREAT! I wasn't drinking excessively, but it's amazing how much improvement you can see from even dropping from moderate consumption to zero.

I find I tend to do badly with resolutions - something about the scale of the thing pushes back against me and I tend to fail - so I'm going to go with one day at a time. But "It doesn't make me better" nicely sums it up.

OP
OP
strick

strick

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Sep 21, 2018
Awesome!

I can attest to all of the above. I've been just a week dry today - my wife and I did an IVF cycle last week to try for our second kid, so I'm foregoing the evening glass (or two) of wine in solidarity. The very least I can do given what she's gone through!

I feel GREAT! I wasn't drinking excessively, but it's amazing how much improvement you can see from even dropping from moderate consumption to zero.

I find I tend to do badly with resolutions - something about the scale of the thing pushes back against me and I tend to fail - so I'm going to go with one day at a time. But "It doesn't make me better" nicely sums it up.
Nice! And that's just after one week! Try a month!

NickNack

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Mar 11, 2018
Australia
Nice! And that's just after one week! Try a month!
Absolutely - I suspect the returns will compound!

Another benefit you didn't mention is it makes it much easier to lose/maintain weight. I'm trying to drop a few kgs right now, and ditching those extra evening calories is very helpful. Also now I'm feeling fresh and alert throughout the day I'm less likely to reach for fatty/carby "comfort" stuff to get me through.

Strm

Bunny parent.
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Feb 4, 2018
Estonia
That's awesome! It will be great for you.

Day after tomorrow (on 25th) it will be 500days straight for me without a drop of alcohol (sure, there's some in those alcohol free beers etc). Been thinking about making a thread but postponing this all the time :) Coming from a guy from Estonia - here drinking is considered our national sport. I was a heavy partyguy all the time, crazy.
I just made this decision summer 2018 and it has been amazing. I love your post, the points that you make are pretty much the same for me too. I still go to partys with my old friends, but I can be sober without a problem and still have fun. One of the best decisions of my life, and I'm sure you will feel this too! You got this! :fistbump:

Poplanu

New Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Aug 26, 2019
I also recently realized that the pros of alcohol don't really justify the cons. You covered the benefits perfectly in your post. I'm not good at moderation, so it's like a spiral for me, more often than not:

Drinking → smoking → staying up late → eating crap food → hangover → zero productivity → feeling antisocial → low energy → more crap food (gotta treat yourself when you're feeling bad, right?) → feeling bad because of the bad food...

It takes a whole full day for me to recover now.

I had a couple of non-alcoholic months in 2015-2016 when I was trying to lose weight as fast as possible. It was kind of cool - walking into a club, ordering a cheap soda, and just chilling with my mates while everyone around me (including my mates) was getting wasted and spending heaps of money on drinks.

But you gotta have determination to do that. You need to have a strong WHY to keep being sober while everyone around you is doing the exact opposite.

I'm not trying to lose weight anymore, but my productivity has been in the gutter recently. So I found my WHY again, after all these years. Also, the stakes are way higher now than they were in 2015-2016, so I'm positive that this time it'll stick.

I'm planning to have an alcohol-free January, just to learn to socialize with people again without having to drink. And to be more productive.

I'll probably continue the streak... or at least cut my alcohol consumption down significantly (e.g. only on significant events and no more than once a month, something like that).

Same with smoking.

I'm gonna make myself one of these Seinfeld checklist calendar bad boys and put a cross for each alcohol-free day. By hand, with a pen. So that it's tangible and real.

Stay strong guys.

Last edited:

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
Been sober for 6 weeks now. Started because I wanted to be in shape for a tournament and thought to keep going until Christmas at least.

Pros:
- No hangovers, no emotional hangovers.
- No shitty sleep.
- No stupid stuff done or said.
- Less money spent.

Cons:
- Going out is really no fun at all. At 12 I start yawning and want to go home. I get annoyed by the stupidity caused by drunk people.
- When dating and only the girl is drinking, there's usually some vibe lacking.
- When you're the only sober dude in a group of people drinking, you're like a total outcast.

So in case you don't like to go out, I would recommend. I feel like I can stop drinking without any problems, but it's just not the right time in my life. I don't drink excessively anyway.

Paul David

Silver Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Feb 17, 2015
England
Sitting here with a really bad hangover.

Think it's time to knock it in the head for a while now. For a couple of days after drinking I'm tired and lethargic, I eat crap, don't get up early or exercise. Zero work productivity either.

I've got a spreadsheet which since May13th I've monitored certain things in life which either take me to where I need to go or don't, I put a yes or no in the columns each day. For alcohol I've drank 36% of the days in the last month. The target initially was less than 20%.

On the bandwagon I jump.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I haven't consumed any alcohol for the last month and it has been amazing. Over the last month, I've felt like I have super powers! (I've never been really good with moderation, so I may be getting more positive benefits compared to others)

I feel so good, that I'm going to commit to going all of next year sober to see what happens. While almost everyone else is starting the first day of the new year tired and hungover, I'm getting up at the crack of dawn to get after my goals!

Some of the positives from living sober over the last month:

- All of the TIME I get back! I didn't realize how much time I wasted drinking, thinking about drinking, or attending stupid social events. I now spend the extra time working on my business, fitness, reading, being a better husband/dad, etc

- I've been jumping out of bed every morning at 4:30 AM excited to start the day. I hit the gym first thing in the morning and this sets the tone for my day.

- I feel alert, energetic, and just all around happier. My thinking is clearer and I'm doing better work.

- Saving money!

- Dropped a lot of loser friends(also hear a lot of shit, because these people don't like it when you try to better yourself)

- I don't say or do dumb shit that I later regret. I'm fully in control.

- No hangovers. Instead, I wake up early, sip on coffee, and think about how grateful I am to not be hungover and ready to get after my goals!

- People keep telling me I look great( I think my skin has cleared up or something)

- I used to get depressed a lot, now those feelings are gone.

- I sleep like a baby and feel well rested when I wake up.

- Less anxiety, especially now that I'm exercising more. I'm actually starting to feel CALM, no matter what's going on.

- I'm a better person. I once heard somebody ask a successful man I admire, "Why don't you drink alcohol?" and he responded, "It doesn't make me better." I think he's on to something!

OP was last seen in February

gryfny

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jun 11, 2019
Europe
Cons:
- Going out is really no fun at all. At 12 I start yawning and want to go home. I get annoyed by the stupidity caused by drunk people.
- When dating and only the girl is drinking, there's usually some vibe lacking.
- When you're the only sober dude in a group of people drinking, you're like a total outcast.
For me this has been a plus. It weeds out the alcoholics, which a lot of people are actually.

At the end of last year I decided I wanted to start this. But I waited until after Christmas and new years, because those days will be the hardest for me. It has been quite easy so far, partly due to the lockdown of course. I will continue until the end of the year and then decide if I want to continue or not.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Good for you! If you want to feel even better, dump the coffee as well & hydrate more for energy.

Brown says while most people only have mild negative effects from caffeine, both short- and long-term health risks are possible.

Short-Term Effects of Caffeine

• Raised blood pressure
  • Trouble sleeping (insomnia)
  • Frequent urination
Long-Term Caffeine Health Risks

• Heart palpitations or other heart problems
  • Mental health changes

Kraelog

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Sep 17, 2015
@Paul David Keep it up!

Alcohol gives you immediate relief from whatever is bothering you, but you sacrifice so much in return.

278 Days sober & counting :D

simplymoto

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Sep 21, 2019

Congrats! you have started well.

What was your red pill?

WillHurtDontCare

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
May 28, 2017
USA
- No hangovers, no emotional hangovers.
This was the big reason that I significant cut back on drinking when I was 24. I just started waking up unhappy after having good nights. My normal mood is much better now that I've cut back on drinking (though it wasn't much of an effort).

I still get sloshed on occasion, but I do not miss drinking every weekend.

Bearcorp

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Jul 2, 2012
Australia
Dry July starting tomorrow for me, been too many beers during COVID so time to have a break and get my fitness back!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Fox's Web Design Guide: Earn $100K this year (Yes, 2020!) and Go Fastlane
Hi guys, I repost here my old review with a small update : Feb 2020 : Hi guys, Just wanted...
FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
Ah, I should've checked here to find out that it was free! Although, Amazon only charged $2 for...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
Pick the one you need most. Some just buy them all. :D Loving your email sequence.
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Dropping a quick note in here to say... if you are on TFL, you are part of an elite group of...
MARKETPLACE Kill Bigger Incubator
I joined @Kak's business incubator in the first week of May. During our daily chats we uncovered...

Visit A Forum Sponsor
sponsor

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected - Please Disable

Yes, ads can be annoying. But please...

...to support the Unscripted/Fastlane mission (and to respect the immense amount of time needed to manage this forum) please DISABLE your ad-block. Thank you.

I've Disabled AdBlock