The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Advice into breaking into data analysis/science freelance

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

Gnark Gnark

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Jun 25, 2020
Ontario, Canada
Hello everyone,

First post on the site.

I watched MJ DeMarco's video on going from no money and skills to wealth and it makes a lot of sense. I currently have a somewhat specialized salaried job as a data analyst. I am looking to continue that process by free-lancing.

However, I am finding it challenging finding freelance gigs, so I am looking for recommendations on resources and advice on how to break into free-lancing.

I have tried offering my services on fiverr and kiji ibut no response.

Regards,

Douglas

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
Write a udemy course on how to get "salaried job as a data analyst".

RoadTrip

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 27, 2012
What did you already try?

You can use your network. You can use LinkedIn. You can search job / freelance boards.

In my country there are also a lot of headhunters for freelancers. You can contact those as well

usmanza

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Sep 19, 2020
Lahore, Pakistan
Hello everyone,

First post on the site.

I watched MJ DeMarco's video on going from no money and skills to wealth and it makes a lot of sense. I currently have a somewhat specialized salaried job as a data analyst. I am looking to continue that process by free-lancing.

However, I am finding it challenging finding freelance gigs, so I am looking for recommendations on resources and advice on how to break into free-lancing.

Regards,

Douglas

I have gone through the same thing but what options we have left is to found our client.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Check out @Lex DeVille courses about getting freelance work on Upwork.

Are there websites specifically for IT contractors? Back in the day I used to use jobserve.co.uk.

Make sure your LinkedIn profile is up to date and optimised.

Make sure your CV is optimised too. I’ve a thread going through my CV and the thinking behind it:

Maybe start with your network, as per this thread:

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Also, you could potentially get gigs that aren’t quite data analysis, but where your skills could help.

Creating/using Excel models?

Configuring Tableau?

As someone already mentioned, maybe you can also help people get their first Data Analyst job?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
There are definitely people doing this. Start doing some interesting data analysis that you think might be useful to some customer base. Show it to people. If they're not the right people, they might know the right people. Refine from there if you get feedback.

Posting on web sites can act as a reality screen. Who wants some dude on fiverr to have all their data? I literally just wrote a security awareness class that says "never do that with yer data." Find a data source you can already use, and a set of people you can start to establish credibility with.. Help one or two of them with something, charge them what you need to charge for doing so, and it all follows from there.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Good point @Rabby

Years ago I was switching from being a Database Administrator to Data Analysis. I figured it was going to be a hard sell for me to get into a business to analyse their data. Maybe it would be something I could offer once I was in there already looking after their databases? I decided it wasn't really the route I wanted to take.

I found my calling when I fell into Google Ads. I can now analyse a company's Google Ads data (and then act on it!) and businesses are often delighted an outsider will review their data if they can find out where they're bleeding money. I can also do Keyword Research without a business even knowing, and without their permission. I can send the analysis and show what they're missing out on.

I'm not saying NOT to be a data analyst, just that I prefer to *use* data analysis skills.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Thanks @Andy Black

I get emails for consulting on the regular, due to my YT channel. Creating some high visibility marketing channel is a great way to get leads (in the long run).

Upwork is hit or miss, but there are some good gigs on there. You'll have to be patient to filter through them, and do your best to stand out in the application process. I wouldn't bother with fiverr.

toptal is also worth looking into, although it does take time to get verified and set up on the platform.

As others have stated, reaching out to your network is a great place to start as well. You can also look for building connections with dev shops that are in need of your talents.

Gnark Gnark

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Jun 25, 2020
Ontario, Canada
Thanks for the insight everyone. I really appreciate the ideas.

I am currently trying Deville's Upwork course and decided to start a youtube channel to further market myself.

And you guys are right, I should be working my networks. Got a lot to do - thanks!

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
Hello everyone,

First post on the site.

Regards,

Douglas
I not sure if this is related to machine learning or your field, one of the big name financial firm in my country employed BCG consultants to dig into their customer to identify high probability sales leads to warm them and hope for a sales conversion.

The response from the salesforce is that the project is a total failure.

Now there is a joke now that the modern day B2B con artists need to spin their service with buzzwords like “machine learning”, “Data Analytics” and “artificial intelligence” and the desperate clients with no tech background will come screaming “Come take my money!”

I wonder what is your opinion on this and whether this could be a business opportunity for you.

Kasimir

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Sep 4, 2020
Switzerland
am looking to continue that process by free-lancing.

If I may ask why are you looking for freelancing jobs?
It's not the Fastlane and it's difficult to find compared to a "normal" job as a data analyst. I have attended some courses about data analyzing I couldn't work full-time but just enough that I think I understand it a little. Why don't you build a business around data analysis?
For me working freelancing can only be a temporary solution if you need money or try to network otherwise it's a waste of time.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
If I may ask why are you looking for freelancing jobs?
It's not the Fastlane and it's difficult to find compared to a "normal" job as a data analyst. I have attended some courses about data analyzing I couldn't work full-time but just enough that I think I understand it a little. Why don't you build a business around data analysis?
For me working freelancing can only be a temporary solution if you need money or try to network otherwise it's a waste of time.
I think MJ says it best:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.