The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Advice into breaking into data analysis/science freelance

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

Gnark Gnark

New Contributor
Jun 25, 2020
Ontario, Canada
Hello everyone,

First post on the site.

I watched MJ DeMarco's video on going from no money and skills to wealth and it makes a lot of sense. I currently have a somewhat specialized salaried job as a data analyst. I am looking to continue that process by free-lancing.

However, I am finding it challenging finding freelance gigs, so I am looking for recommendations on resources and advice on how to break into free-lancing.

I have tried offering my services on fiverr and kiji ibut no response.

Regards,

Douglas

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Mar 1, 2016
Write a udemy course on how to get "salaried job as a data analyst".

RoadTrip

Bronze Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Speedway Pass
Nov 27, 2012
What did you already try?

You can use your network. You can use LinkedIn. You can search job / freelance boards.

In my country there are also a lot of headhunters for freelancers. You can contact those as well

usmanza

New Contributor
Sep 19, 2020
Lahore, Pakistan
Hello everyone,

First post on the site.

I watched MJ DeMarco's video on going from no money and skills to wealth and it makes a lot of sense. I currently have a somewhat specialized salaried job as a data analyst. I am looking to continue that process by free-lancing.

However, I am finding it challenging finding freelance gigs, so I am looking for recommendations on resources and advice on how to break into free-lancing.

I have tried offering my services on fiverr and kiji ibut no response.

Regards,

Douglas

I have gone through the same thing but what options we have left is to found our client.

Andy Black

Dad, husband, entrepreneur.
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Check out @Lex DeVille courses about getting freelance work on Upwork.

Are there websites specifically for IT contractors? Back in the day I used to use jobserve.co.uk.

Make sure your LinkedIn profile is up to date and optimised.

Make sure your CV is optimised too. I’ve a thread going through my CV and the thinking behind it:
  • HOT TOPIC - 10+ Years IT Contracting at €300-900/day (Learnings)

Maybe start with your network, as per this thread:

Andy Black

Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Also, you could potentially get gigs that aren’t quite data analysis, but where your skills could help.

Creating/using Excel models?

Configuring Tableau?

As someone already mentioned, maybe you can also help people get their first Data Analyst job?

Andy Black

Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Rabby

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
There are definitely people doing this. Start doing some interesting data analysis that you think might be useful to some customer base. Show it to people. If they're not the right people, they might know the right people. Refine from there if you get feedback.

Posting on web sites can act as a reality screen. Who wants some dude on fiverr to have all their data? I literally just wrote a security awareness class that says "never do that with yer data." Find a data source you can already use, and a set of people you can start to establish credibility with.. Help one or two of them with something, charge them what you need to charge for doing so, and it all follows from there.

Andy Black

Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Good point @Rabby

Years ago I was switching from being a Database Administrator to Data Analysis. I figured it was going to be a hard sell for me to get into a business to analyse their data. Maybe it would be something I could offer once I was in there already looking after their databases? I decided it wasn't really the route I wanted to take.

I found my calling when I fell into Google Ads. I can now analyse a company's Google Ads data (and then act on it!) and businesses are often delighted an outsider will review their data if they can find out where they're bleeding money. I can also do Keyword Research without a business even knowing, and without their permission. I can send the analysis and show what they're missing out on.

I'm not saying NOT to be a data analyst, just that I prefer to *use* data analysis skills.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Thanks @Andy Black

I get emails for consulting on the regular, due to my YT channel. Creating some high visibility marketing channel is a great way to get leads (in the long run).

Upwork is hit or miss, but there are some good gigs on there. You'll have to be patient to filter through them, and do your best to stand out in the application process. I wouldn't bother with fiverr.

toptal is also worth looking into, although it does take time to get verified and set up on the platform.

As others have stated, reaching out to your network is a great place to start as well. You can also look for building connections with dev shops that are in need of your talents.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Gnark Gnark

New Contributor
Jun 25, 2020
Ontario, Canada
Thanks for the insight everyone. I really appreciate the ideas.

I am currently trying Deville's Upwork course and decided to start a youtube channel to further market myself.

And you guys are right, I should be working my networks. Got a lot to do - thanks!

Andy Black

Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Sponsored Offers

FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
Hi Mj, I just bought it. And reading it. I think is a great idea to write using the stories to...
MARKETPLACE Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2020
Great post @Fox, very much appreciated! How can I reach out to you? I sent you a PM a while...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
Hey @Lex DeVille ! Having some issues with the NOREGRETS code? Udemy thinks it has expired...
MARKETPLACE Grow Your Business With a Book (An Unorthodox Marketing Strategy That Built One of the Largest...
Are you looking for a new, lesser-known but potentially very lucrative source of leads to your...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Just got off the phone with @LightHouse. Having just a 45 minute conversation with him has...
MARKETPLACE Kill Bigger Incubator
@Kak Thanks for the reply. Whats interesting is that I have an idea that's been cooking which...

Forum Sponsor

sponsor

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom