The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Admitting there's a problem is the first step.

IAmTheJeff

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 5, 2014
Philadelphia, Pa
@KLaw gave me some shit for my communicative downfall, and from it spawned a new plan for the donation - I'm going to make some calls this week and see if I can get a few local businesses to add a little something to the donation. Yeah I know, maybe I should have thought I this myself way back on April 15th when @Vigilante made the original offer, and more so when @frieden70 offered to throw in an extra $100. Well, it took some mental evolution to arrive at this, and not just thinking about the original task at hand.

Maybe being a bitch has it's place in having a positive impact?

EDIT TO ADD: The more I think about it, the more I think this is what I should have been doing from the start. Maybe this wasn't ever really about taking action in a business atmosphere, but that acknowledging the needs of others is much, MUCH more important than my own wants.

NOW this thread is ready to have a "Progress" tag added to it. NOW I feel like the windmill that @RogueInnovation mentioned is ready for another revolution.

Last edited:

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
I don't know about specifics but pm me I can probably pull some strings. I know some people in tge area who can help. Message me n let me know where its going and ill see what kind of add ons I can scrounge together too ;)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

IAmTheJeff

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 5, 2014
Philadelphia, Pa
I was going to write a script for my calls. I wrote one and tossed it, because it didn't feel natural. I felt more like I was trying to pitch a product more than trying to raise donations. I came up with a list of points I want to make during the calls instead, and let the conversation flow naturally. That may have been my problem when it was making calls for idea extraction early on, too.

Essentially, I'm starting from the beginning all over again, for a selfless cause this time. I'll update with results later.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
@KLaw gave me some shit for my communicative downfall, and from it spawned a new plan for the donation - I'm going to make some calls this week and see if I can get a few local businesses to add a little something to the donation. Yeah I know, maybe I should have thought I this myself way back on April 15th when @Vigilante made the original offer, and more so when @frieden70 offered to throw in an extra $100. Well, it took some mental evolution to arrive at this, and not just thinking about the original task at hand.

EDIT TO ADD: The more I think about it, the more I think this is what I should have been doing from the start. Maybe this wasn't ever really about taking action in a business atmosphere, but that acknowledging the needs of others is much, MUCH more important than my own wants.

NOW this thread is ready to have a "Progress" tag added to it. NOW I feel like the windmill that @RogueInnovation mentioned is ready for another revolution.

Right now, you gave your word to honor an obligation. Right now, you are past due on that agreement. Right now, it looks like you are delaying the fulfillment of that obligation.

It would be a nice gesture to @Vigilante for you to, first, honor the agreement and make the delivery. Take pics, record the event, and THEN build on the momentum.

It does not matter if you have to deliver the stuff on a bicycle or walk or take the bus. Be the person to get the sh$t done, now. Make the delivery ASAP.

IAmTheJeff

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 5, 2014
Philadelphia, Pa
Right now, you gave your word to honor an obligation. Right now, you are past due on that agreement. Right now, it looks like you are delaying the fulfillment of that obligation.

It would be a nice gesture to @Vigilante for you to, first, honor the agreement and make the delivery. Take pics, record the event, and THEN build on the momentum.

It does not matter if you have to deliver the stuff on a bicycle or walk or take the bus. Be the person to get the sh$t done, now. Make the delivery ASAP.
Fair enough, ASAP it will be.

The place is 40+ minutes on the highway. Bicycle, walking, not an option. I'll make it happen this week, before Saturday, without fail.

Else, I'll request a ban of my account for 6 months, or until I learn to grow the F*ck up - whichever is later. No more posting until it's done. See ya'll in a couple days.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas

The place is 40+ minutes on the highway. Bicycle, walking, not an option. I'll make it happen this week, before Saturday, without fail.

Else, I'll request a ban of my account for 6 months, or until I learn to grow the F*ck up - whichever is later. No more posting until it's done. See ya'll in a couple days.

Why not today? You have had weeks to do this. Why not this evening?

Pick up the phone and ask for a ride. Catch the bus, call a cab.

A ban of your account is the cheap way out. For the next hour figure out how to get this done now and then do it.

Maybe call the charity and they will come to you?

Call a news organization and explain the problem. They get the press and may be able to get you the ride.

Get it done!

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
well he has arrangements as soon as I get to town (I am 12 hrs away) I was already coming to town anyway... I am leaving here on the 2nd getting to town sometime that day. if I get in early enough I can do it that day. depending on when I get there it may have to be on the 3rd. at least his procrastination will get them a much bigger donation than they would have gotten otherwise.

my friend Joey is going to hook them up and go along when we go to be there for the donation. as soon as I get whoever is the contact persons info I can arrange for the expanded donation from Warming Hearts.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007

@IAmTheJeff it will be done before the 4th

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio
Why not today? You have had weeks to do this. Why not this evening?

Pick up the phone and ask for a ride. Catch the bus, call a cab.

A ban of your account is the cheap way out. For the next hour figure out how to get this done now and then do it.

Maybe call the charity and they will come to you?

Call a news organization and explain the problem. They get the press and may be able to get you the ride.

Get it done!

@IAmTheJeff
Feel free to share my pm.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
well he has arrangements as soon as I get to town (I am 12 hrs away) I was already coming to town anyway... I am leaving here on the 2nd getting to town sometime that day. if I get in early enough I can do it that day. depending on when I get there it may have to be on the 3rd. at least his procrastination will get them a much bigger donation than they would have gotten otherwise.

my friend Joey is going to hook them up and go along when we go to be there for the donation. as soon as I get whoever is the contact persons info I can arrange for the expanded donation from Warming Hearts.

I understand @CarrieW , you have a heart of gold. But Jeff has had weeks to solve this. He has to grow up and quit making excuses. It's not your job to do it for him. More power to you for helping him, but it is his hurdle to overcome. That charity has needed this stuff and he has been delaying. Time to get it done.

scott.legendre

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
235%
Aug 5, 2013

that's great that you realize you can add to the cause.

but first get your a$$ over and make the donation. See with your own eyeballs the difference that the donations make.

then go bigger...

"Hey mate, i need a lift" seems to work for me, offer your ride a full gas refill in exchange for travel. tell them they are helping with donations to a good cause and get a full refill benefit for it as well. I've done hour long drives for charity without any personal benefit and would easily do it again, but people don't ask me to.

you can ponder and reflect why this happened later, and learn from it, but go get that shit delivered first.

johnp

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Aug 29, 2011
Philly

I have a cousin who wants to be the general manager of the Philadelphia Flyers. It's his dream. He has been talking about it from the time he was like nine years old, he's 16 years old now. The kid can barely drive. He doesn't have a car. And let's face it..the odds of becoming a GM are so far out of his reach, esp for Philly.

Last week I found out that I'm going to the NHL draft with him. He said, "meet me at the train in Wayne"

So Friday rolled around the corner. He pulled me onto the train. And said "follow me." I proceed to follow my 16 year old cousin for the next few hours of as we went from train to train and through the subway of south Philly.

Later I found out that he started doing this awhile back and that's how he gets to the game, sometimes even by himself.

So my point is that if a 16 year old kid could figure out how to get into the city to chase his dream then there is no reason why you can't find a damn SEPTA bus or train or something to get into Philly...

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
if anyone is offering gas money :) lol

I really don't need it I am j/k

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
its a lot easier to get AROUND philly then TO philly from the suburbs LOL trust me I know this... lived there most of my life. its possible but it is a horrendous pain in the a$$

Harley

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jun 9, 2014
End of day one (kind of):

Today was a day of rejection. Not by business owners or managers, but but the dreaded gatekeepers!!!! I did get to speak with a few owners at smaller manufacturing facilities, (I gave no bias to what they make) and so far I've heard a few things that seem interesting, but I really want to talk to the bigger guys.

This is why it's only "kind of" the end of the day. I'll be researching every possible method to get around those obnoxious gatekeepers. Secretaries are great and all, until they try to keep me from talking to the boss.

I did send emails to the guys that were "inaccessible," despite being told they don't use it. We'll see if I get any responses. I'm effin hyped now!

If any of you have any tips on secretary avoidance, please share. I'm confident it would help more than just me!

Thanks everyone!
I like to go in informal and ask something generic like, " Hi is Fred still the G.M here?" I would go in with a pleasant attitude and you already know Fred is, or was the G.M by doing some prior research. Then I have found most of the time they will divulge information you never asked for. Like " yes, but he is off on sick leave and George is now the acting G.M" or whatever. I don't go in and say "is it possible to see the G.M" because this often leads to them asking questions as to the purpose of your visit and you get blocked.
If you go in like you know and have dealt with Fred before it tends to get you further (I have done hundreds of cold calls). Your demeanour is everything so practise will tell you what works.
Then, mostly that first visit is often a fact finding visit - getting the correct information, a little background info if possible, business card with cell phone number hopefully, etc. But, I always ask " is there any chance he has a couple minutes, as I have some information to drop off for him (again the inference is that he is expecting it, without saying this) and occasionally (15-20%) of the time they will give you time there and then. I say occasionally as busy people often like appointments, but in my sales days, I gained some of my best clients by just happening to catch them at the perfect time.
Then if/when you do get the meet that is a whole other story in regards to elevator speeches, uncovering true needs etc etc. SPIN selling is a great book, if you don't have past sales experience. I know this is more of a "find the pain exercise" but same principles apply.
Good luck.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ

IAmTheJeff

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 5, 2014
Philadelphia, Pa
@IAmTheJeff
Feel free to share my pm.

Here is what I would do. You've got a little obstacle to overcome. You don't have to deliver the shit tomorrow or the next day but you must make progress. Tonight, take some pics of the donations and write up a lil script on what and why you are doing what you are doing. Call up some cab, limo, bus companies (hell, call the local newspaper, "meals on wheels", the PD, or the FD). Using your script, tell them what you are doing and your transportation situation is. Email them the pics so they know you are serious. All you are asking from them is to not match your donation but provide you a ride to and from. That would be their part of the donation. Again, take pics of whoever takes you up on it loading and unloading and delivering the boxes. Hell, they could be the ones taking the pics as you pass the shit out.

Think about it, not only do you get the job done but you show the big boys that you know how to conquer any barriers that get in your way. Thoughts?

Dead on.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas

Maybe for you. Not for others. You have wasted weeks farting around with this. Don't use another forum member as an excuse.

You agreed to deliver this stuff. You even told us the day it would be delivered. It has not been done. Quit making it bigger and making excuses. People need the stuff now.

You could stretch this out for 2-3 more weeks doing all this crap.

If you don't want to do it, then be a man and ship it all back to @Vigilante

Get it done.

D

DeletedUser394

This thread is so weird.

Vig sends you $500 worth of stuff or whatever, going out of his way to do so, and it takes you a couple of weeks to fulfill your end of the deal... not to mention it takes you a while to even respond to the guy.

You don't have friends that can drive you? You don't have taxis in Philadelphia?

This is getting way too dramatic. All you have to do is deliver the packages.

I live in another country on the other side of the continent and I can get that shit to it's destination by day's end. As can anyone here, and most importantly, YOU.

I mean, this is one of the easiest problems to overcome.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
The sideshow is not worth all the drama. Let me know if you want me to send you UPS labels to just move the product to the donation beneficiary. I intended this as a fun way for you to recognize your own progress which you convinced me to send you based on your own stated progress.. Several weeks later and now it's just a hassle and a distraction. So, give up and say the word and I will send you UPS labels. I can solve this problem.

To everybody following this, I asked him to not post pictures of the specific items because of the tremendous amount of creepers we have on this forum.

Last edited:

IAmTheJeff

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 5, 2014
Philadelphia, Pa
Arrangements have been made, delivery will be done. Can't undo my failure, but can certainly effect what happens in the coming days.

I think many of you didn't see that I'm currently working a 9-5, which impacts my ability to "just do" anything that suits my fancy. This, coupled with quite a few roadblocks that I've encountered over the past few weeks, adds a layer of difficulty, not only in delivering the packages, but in progressing in a business of almost any sort.

@Vigilante, I was never seeking an "easy way out," and although I appreciate the offer of that option, I'll gleefully decline. These are my roadblocks to conquer, and it will be done.

I apologize for any disappointment you all may feel, but not for the difficulties I've encountered, or even how I've dealt (or didn't deal) with them, rather met them with excuses. Why? Because as I evolve as a person, I'll hit more roadblocks and difficulties. If I don't learn to deal with them properly now, I'll be F*cked for a lifetime.

That's all for now, I'll have photos in a couple days. Thanks for caring enough to take time out of your day to help my evolution, whether that was your intention or not.

leono

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Apr 12, 2012
I think many of you didn't see that I'm currently working a 9-5, which impacts my ability to "just do" anything that suits my fancy. This, coupled with quite a few roadblocks that I've encountered over the past few weeks, adds a layer of difficulty, not only in delivering the packages, but in progressing in a business of almost any sort.
That is not true. Do it first thing in the morning. Get up five hours earlier than you normally would and get it done. Or vice versa, stay up 5 hours later and still get it done. Ask a coworker to take you there. Or borrow their car. Offer them money, gas, to do a work shift for them, whatever it takes. When you stop accepting excuses, you'll make things happen.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Arrangements have been made, delivery will be done. Can't undo my failure, but can certainly effect what happens in the coming days.

When is the delivery date?

I wish you good luck.

Last edited:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
OK so refocus on the objective.

The Drueding Center in Philly focuses on the most vulnerable, helping them recover the dignity of standing on their own. They serve 500 families annually, including 30+ families that live there. Over the years, there have been 1,250 children that have been helped as part of the families helped through their programs.

No matter where any of us on the forum are at this exact moment, chances are most of us have life better than the 500 families that will be touched by the Drueding Center this year. We have day to day challenges when a car breaks down, the finances run tight, or business doesn't turn out exactly the way we thought it would.

My week has been shit and it's only Tuesday. However, I am blessed a thousand fold over the people that are waiting for our donations. Perspective. Recalibration. Reset. Reload.

The Drueding Center in Philly focuses on the most vulnerable, helping them recover the dignity of standing on their own. (repeated for emphasis on the prize)

So, they don't care about your past failures. They don't care what happened last week. These people are worse off than you and I are. You are there to bring them light (figuratively and in your case literally!). For one minute, you can look into the face of a situation more desperate than your own. And you can help solve it. And in so doing, you will affect dozens of people you will never meet. You will give them a moment of hope. And in so doing... hopefully you will capture a moment of hope for yourself also.

That's what this is about.

Work on things that are bigger than yourself. That's how we become great. Big things, giving back, expecting nothing in return. I don't believe in chance or luck, but I do believe in karma. I believe we are blessed by blessing others. It may not manifest itself in material things, but it always comes back around in calmness of spirit and a feeling of gratefulness that you can actually make a difference in your world, and on a more micro level in some individuals life.

Go make some people's day brighter, and in the process light a fire that should continue well after the donation.

And then, tell us it's done so we can put this chapter to bed. It's time to roll on.

Last edited:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
If you haven't done so already, you may want to let the management there know that you are coming with cash and gifts.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.