The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Admitting there's a problem is the first step.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
One of the best threads on here..... this one is on the way to GOLD........

We have one hell of a community! Some real value was created here for the OP and others to come behind.....

Now back to taking action.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

IAmTheJeff

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 5, 2014
Philadelphia, Pa
A little update:

Still trying to get my website the way I want. Three free WP themes, two paid ones, and contacting five different people on fiverr later, I finally found one that I can work on and make it how I want. I know I know, it's not a matter of if I like it or not, but I don't want to put a shitty looking site out there and be regarded as "oh, another cheapy brand." I think b2c will not work as well for me after doing some market research last week, so I'm sticking with my marketing efforts more towards b2b for my primary market. Consumers may be interested later, but presented in a different way.

I want to throw a special thanks to @Vigilante, @RogueInnovation, @zen*******, @Gale4rc, @KLaw, @RichKid, @IceCreamKid, @frieden70, @JackEdwards, and anyone else that might be escaping me at the moment, for your contributions, endless knowledge, encouragement, and regular infusions of reality, and keeping me grounded in this venture. Everyone in the Fastlane family truly care about each other, and I'm glad that I found this community.

Without MJ's book and forum, many of us probably wouldn't stand a chance in the world of business. And to think I found this place by chance - a google search trying to optimize my little flea market business.

I've come a long way, and blessed is anyone that finds a better path for themselves. Back to work now, so I can have something to give back!

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
A little update:

Still trying to get my website the way I want. Three free WP themes, two paid ones, and contacting five different people on fiverr later, I finally found one that I can work on and make it how I want. I know I know, it's not a matter of if I like it or not, but I don't want to put a shitty looking site out there and be regarded as "oh, another cheapy brand." I think b2c will not work as well for me after doing some market research last week, so I'm sticking with my marketing efforts more towards b2b for my primary market. Consumers may be interested later, but presented in a different way.

I want to throw a special thanks to @Vigilante, @RogueInnovation, @zen*******, @Gale4rc, @KLaw, @RichKid, @IceCreamKid, @frieden70, @JackEdwards, and anyone else that might be escaping me at the moment, for your contributions, endless knowledge, encouragement, and regular infusions of reality, and keeping me grounded in this venture. Everyone in the Fastlane family truly care about each other, and I'm glad that I found this community.

Without MJ's book and forum, many of us probably wouldn't stand a chance in the world of business. And to think I found this place by chance - a google search trying to optimize my little flea market business.

I've come a long way, and blessed is anyone that finds a better path for themselves. Back to work now, so I can have something to give back!
Great job.
Keep moving forward and nothings gonna stop you.

Weavie

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
May 12, 2014
This is one of the most important threads I've read on this forum so far. Its shown that taking action really does mean doing stuff and not just thinking about it. On top of that its not just doing any stuff its doing specific stuff to bring you towards your goal, no matter how unpleasant that stuff may be.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
First few boxes of donations shipped out today. I have one more item that we need to ship, but I may not get it en route until after Memorial Day as it is in a different warehouse location. In any case, it has been a privilege to play a minor role in fueling the fire, and you responded with decisive action. As a result, dozens of families that you and I will never meet will benefit. And that's the way the world works. Keep pressing.

thoreau-go-confidently-in-the-direction-of-your-dreams.jpg

Rinzler

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
May 21, 2014
Northern California
Such a motivating thread! Congratulations Jeff! I sat down and read the entire thread in one sitting, and I can tell the difference from Page 1 to Page 6 was HUGE! I subscribed to this thread so I can continue to see your progress. :D

D

DeletedUser394

Can we know what actions led to the shipments being made?

Doesn't have to be specifics.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
Get one HOT lead. Stick with it. Then get another HOT lead. Do your best with the opportunity infront of you.

Just thought I'd highlight this thought.

Yeah you can think big, but business is built in how well we deal with what is infront of us, and how good the next step we choose is.

Building a website for the sale of a product? How can you nail it, hit a home run, without being unrealistic and stupid?
What are the real features you need, who will execute it best, if you can free up time is there some new customers you can drum up, what is the best action there?

Don't rush ahead of yourself and build a whole big wish washy plan, because a whole big wish washy plan is a nightmare to execute. And the reality is that tasks don't require overengineering or babying.
So what does this MOMENT need, and then, where MAY you go next, and is it a d#mn good choice, are you gonna make it a good choice.

Remember that big floaty goals are not going to take you to the promise land. It is a chain reaction of VERY good decisions.
Keep making movement, keep doing the right choices in the moment, keep your mind active and looking towards great execution and a great start on the next step.

Then hit that pavement, look bad to the bone and get it happening. Every time you move, stuff should "just happen". Make people sweat, make sales, make the stuff you need, get the product into those who need it, and don't stop. Do it over and over and over and over again.

Then repeat, layer it up
sandwichphotographtall.jpg

Let that pie develop and become fat and juicy, so you can become fat and juicy too

Don't you just want to bite it?

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Any news?

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
and contacting five different people on fiverr later
That's always fun. I didn't get any creative people on Fivver. I've had better experience with eLance so far.
Awesome thread.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
If you have taken significant action in your life, and posted that via. a progress thread to the forum by May 15th 2014 (one month from now) I will send you a care package you get to hand deliver to the Drueding Center worth $500 retail. Our mutual (product) donation will benefit homeless women and children. You will get to see first hand what the impact of this is. You can hand deliver this to the shelter.
If you fail to take action, and/or make meaningful progress to push past your barriers, the deal is off. And see, in so doing, you have not only sat on your a$$, but you have cost other people something of value. I can do this anywhere. I want to do it with you. In your back yard. To your community.
So Go. No more bullshit posts. Just tangible, fast lane action.
Time to put my money where your mouth is. I look forward to your updates. Don't screw this up. People are depending on you.

Any news?

Updates?

Donation made?

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ

IAmTheJeff

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 5, 2014
Philadelphia, Pa
Sorry guys, been super busy. Donation is being delivered today. Third package finally came in, almost a month after it was sent. USPS <eye roll>

The action that I took to satisfy the challenge: I found a product that I believed would solve a need. I tested it a bit, got some sales, made some money, tried to go further with it, and it immediately dropped off. I killed that product, called it a failure, got excited to get the first one out of the way.

Intelligently, I went and got a job. Wantrepreneur wants to be jobless and free, entrepreneur recognizes that shit takes time, and being hasty is F*cking stupid. Took a few days of letting the excitement of my failure to set in, and went back to looking for an ACTUAL need.

In my "job," I use a ladder with either a hose or a cord, running up and down it all day every day. I thought I a product that I wanted to develop and prototyped it. It worked great!!! After talking to about 300 people that would potentially be my market, I discovered very little interest (8 of the 300 said they'd be interested, at a price lower than the lowest estimate I got to have it made). Product: failure. I'm not calling it a significant failure, but it was significant for me to learn that surveying a market is an extremely valuable tool that will validate or toss away your product/concept/business/idea.

Another idea came along, I mentioned it to Z, he didn't seem enthused. I believe he was frustrated with me.

A few days later, it hit me. "I am being F*cking retarded, I'm not listening to the most valuable information someone could give me, I'm trying to do it on my own!" This epiphany was a revolution in my mindset.

Let's break it down from beginning to this revolution:
1. Action faking like a bitch, scare to do anything, including just trying to do something on a tiny scale.
2. Picked an industry and a business concept, made a shit ton of calls, got no where.
3. Found an opportunity in the niche I've understood best for 10+ years.
4. FINALLY TOOK REAL ACTION,ordered some product, got a website up, made a few sales, but largely failed. First REAL action and mindset shift.
5. Thought about an immediate need for myself, prototyped it, marketed the concept, and failed before I put too much in to it. AWESOME FEELING, knowing that you wasted very little time and very little money in learning a lesson that will save years and THOUSANDS of dollars in the end.
6. Had a revolutionary epiphany, which allowed me to gtfo of my own way, open my damn ears, and LISTEN to someone with much more knowledge and experience than myself. Supplementary mindset shift.

Now, I'm in a Skype group with some effing awesome guys, studying the hell out of TBB 2.0 to learn more about media buying, which is leading me to 2 things that a brilliant mind on this forum discussed with me: Learn how to make money, and learn a skill. Exact quote: "copy, sales, phone skills, i dont care. but get some income in."

Media buying is what I'm currently working on, I'm starting with an affiliate offer as soon as I finish TBB. I got an awesome tip from another brilliant mind, I think I may know which offer I'm going to go with.

Without the help of @Vigilante, @zen*******, @RogueInnovation, @KLaw, and all of the people here who have contributed to this thread, every other thread on this forum, and @MJ DeMarco for creating this forum in the first place, I'd be sitting with a thumb up my a$$, being pissed off every time I see a Ferrari drive by.

Am I in the Fastlane with my life yet? Nope. And I'm glad I'm not. A claimed "Fastlane" this early in my development would be a recipe for disaster.

Quick lesson about the Fastlane everyone - especially the newer guys out there. If you don't have income, you're probably not going to make it. Don't quit your job with a year worth of bill money, thinking you can DEFINITELY make something happen inside of a year. You'll probably blow through it trying (read: spinning your wheels) a bunch of stuff, never actually learning what you really need to do. The Fastlane is a road that you build yourself, it's NOT something you can switch to with a turn of your wheel. @JasonR's story of when he started his business is what you should aspire to. Be a superstar employee, because if you cant work your a$$ off for someone else, you're going to be even worse when no one is looking. I've been at my job for a month, and today I got a 20% raise, two months before i "qualify" for one.

I wake up at 6am to go to work, get home by 6pm, eat dinner and get right to working on my future til 3am, and finally go to sleep. Does it hurt? F*ck yes. Does it suck? You better believe it does, but I love every second of it. I know it's for the greater good in the long run, I know this is just temporary and it will accelerate my path.

Sorry for what seems like a ramble. I wanted to get it all down so I can get back to work. Lots to do, full time business mindset for the weekend. I might not respond to anything for a few days, so don't get mad, guys!

Tony I

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Apr 9, 2013
MA
I wake up at 6am to go to work, get home by 6pm, eat dinner and get right to working on my future til 3am, and finally go to sleep. Does it hurt? F*ck yes. Does it suck? You better believe it does, but I love every second of it. I know it's for the greater good in the long run, I know this is just temporary and it will accelerate my path.

sounds like you made the correct mindset shifts. from talking to taking action.

congrats man keep going.

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
Sorry guys, been super busy. Donation is being delivered today. Third package finally came in, almost a month after it was sent. USPS <eye roll>

The action that I took to satisfy the challenge: I found a product that I believed would solve a need. I tested it a bit, got some sales, made some money, tried to go further with it, and it immediately dropped off. I killed that product, called it a failure, got excited to get the first one out of the way.

Intelligently, I went and got a job. Wantrepreneur wants to be jobless and free, entrepreneur recognizes that shit takes time, and being hasty is F*cking stupid. Took a few days of letting the excitement of my failure to set in, and went back to looking for an ACTUAL need.

In my "job," I use a ladder with either a hose or a cord, running up and down it all day every day. I thought I a product that I wanted to develop and prototyped it. It worked great!!! After talking to about 300 people that would potentially be my market, I discovered very little interest (8 of the 300 said they'd be interested, at a price lower than the lowest estimate I got to have it made). Product: failure. I'm not calling it a significant failure, but it was significant for me to learn that surveying a market is an extremely valuable tool that will validate or toss away your product/concept/business/idea.

Another idea came along, I mentioned it to Z, he didn't seem enthused. I believe he was frustrated with me.

A few days later, it hit me. "I am being F*cking retarded, I'm not listening to the most valuable information someone could give me, I'm trying to do it on my own!" This epiphany was a revolution in my mindset.

Let's break it down from beginning to this revolution:
1. Action faking like a bitch, scare to do anything, including just trying to do something on a tiny scale.
2. Picked an industry and a business concept, made a shit ton of calls, got no where.
3. Found an opportunity in the niche I've understood best for 10+ years.
4. FINALLY TOOK REAL ACTION,ordered some product, got a website up, made a few sales, but largely failed. First REAL action and mindset shift.
5. Thought about an immediate need for myself, prototyped it, marketed the concept, and failed before I put too much in to it. AWESOME FEELING, knowing that you wasted very little time and very little money in learning a lesson that will save years and THOUSANDS of dollars in the end.
6. Had a revolutionary epiphany, which allowed me to gtfo of my own way, open my damn ears, and LISTEN to someone with much more knowledge and experience than myself. Supplementary mindset shift.

Now, I'm in a Skype group with some effing awesome guys, studying the hell out of TBB 2.0 to learn more about media buying, which is leading me to 2 things that a brilliant mind on this forum discussed with me: Learn how to make money, and learn a skill. Exact quote: "copy, sales, phone skills, i dont care. but get some income in."

Media buying is what I'm currently working on, I'm starting with an affiliate offer as soon as I finish TBB. I got an awesome tip from another brilliant mind, I think I may know which offer I'm going to go with.

Without the help of @Vigilante, @zen*******, @RogueInnovation, @KLaw, and all of the people here who have contributed to this thread, every other thread on this forum, and @MJ DeMarco for creating this forum in the first place, I'd be sitting with a thumb up my a$$, being pissed off every time I see a Ferrari drive by.

Am I in the Fastlane with my life yet? Nope. And I'm glad I'm not. A claimed "Fastlane" this early in my development would be a recipe for disaster.

Quick lesson about the Fastlane everyone - especially the newer guys out there. If you don't have income, you're probably not going to make it. Don't quit your job with a year worth of bill money, thinking you can DEFINITELY make something happen inside of a year. You'll probably blow through it trying (read: spinning your wheels) a bunch of stuff, never actually learning what you really need to do. The Fastlane is a road that you build yourself, it's NOT something you can switch to with a turn of your wheel. @JasonR's story of when he started his business is what you should aspire to. Be a superstar employee, because if you cant work your a$$ off for someone else, you're going to be even worse when no one is looking. I've been at my job for a month, and today I got a 20% raise, two months before i "qualify" for one.

Sorry for what seems like a ramble. I wanted to get it all down so I can get back to work. Lots to do, full time business mindset for the weekend. I might not respond to anything for a few days, so don't get mad, guys!
That's awesome man. About the fail fast, I've been watching Shark Tank just because I've heard it mentioned in here so much. (I'm completely disconnected from the TV world.) I can't believe how many people have spent hundreds of thousands on a product they have to push out, not a pull.
Glad you aren't going to be one of those people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
Good stuff, it doesn't make sense to me why you're jumping to a completely different type of fast lane after learning so much in one. If you keep jumping around from idea to idea in completely different industries you'll always be a beginner.

Rootin' for you

G

GuestUser113

That's awesome man. About the fail fast, I've been watching Shark Tank just because I've heard it mentioned in here so much. (I'm completely disconnected from the TV world.) I can't believe how many people have spent hundreds of thousands on a product they have to push out, not a pull. Glad you aren't going to be one of those people.

“It doesn’t matter how many times you fail. It doesn’t matter how many times you almost get it right. No-one is going to know or care about your failures, and neither should you. All you have to do is learn from them and those around you. All that matters in business is that you get it right once. Then everyone can tell you how lucky you are.” ~Mark Cuban

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

IAmTheJeff

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 5, 2014
Philadelphia, Pa
Sorry guys, still didn't deliver. Having a major transportation issue at the moment. Should hopefully be cleared up tomorrow, depending on mechanic.

Ill email you shortly @Vigilante

IAmTheJeff

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 5, 2014
Philadelphia, Pa
Now I feel like a big F*cking pussy for not thinking it was important to update all of you about what's going on.

Guess I have some real life growing up to do now.

IAmTheJeff

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 5, 2014
Philadelphia, Pa
A windmill of learning haha,
Well when weather permits, we look forward to the finale
It'll be great to see
Well, assuming I can get it situated and have time to travel after work, it should be tomorrow. Honestly, I'm still excited as all hell that I get to do this, just regret my lack of transparency about it.

A few lessons learned in one.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
I will be in town in a few days. if you need a ride to do something @IAmTheJeff hit me up. you have my number... I am getting there sometime between the 2-3rd

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
Holy shit, @CarrieW that's a hell of an offer! I should be squared away by then, but if you're down for the ride, I wouldn't mind a photographer!
that's awesome I will bring my good camera :) well one that's not a cell phone :p

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
where are we going? lol somewhere in philly?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.