The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

A daily tool for your efficiency

Do you plan you days?

• Yeah

• Nah

Results are only viewable after voting.

Santi M

See you on the fastlane
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jul 22, 2018
Fastlane
Hello, fastlaners!

I start this thread to tell you about a tool which I’ve used for a “long” time (long enough for having tested it correctly) and I wanted to share it with you so you can take advantage of it if you want to.

I have to say that this tool isn’t a revolutionary thing at all, but implemented correctly can revolutionize how you use your time, namely your life.

I like to call this:

AP2T – Always Plan Tomorrow Today

Always Plan Tomorrow Today, yes, I refer to it like AP2T because it’s easy (and cool in my opinion).

Why use it?
This tool is very powerful because it brings you something very important; time. Using this tool, you are “investing” about 10 minutes today to get back hours tomorrow.

You should always plan tomorrow today if:

• If you know you aren’t making the most of your days and you feel bad about it.
  • If you don’t want to waste a lot of time thinking what to do at every moment.
  • If you want to go to bed more relaxed and have a better sleep.
  • If you want to be more productive.
  • If you want to be more organized.

How to use it?
It’s very easy to plan the next day every day, the “hard” thing here is to have the willpower of doing it every day and above all, stick to it to accomplish your daily goals.

The only thing you have to do is the following:

Grab a notebook/diary and at the end of the day think about the things you have to do tomorrow, including meals, exercise, etc.

Then, you have to write the time you start that activity and right down, the next one carrying out the same procedure. The time you start the next thing is the time you finish the previous one.

NOTE: Of course, your daily goals have to be aligned with your weekly-monthly-yearly goals.

For the people who have never planned his day before it’s normal you don’t know how long take some activities, don’t worry, only allocate the time you want to expend in each activity (and you think it’s enough but not so comfortable) and as the days go by, adjust your schedule.

For making this clear, I’m attaching a photo of the diary I use and an example of a random page of a day planned so you can see how I do it.

Since the year started I’ve been using a diary, but it’s not necessary, I used to do it in a normal small notebook.

I’m from Spain so the text is in Spanish, but I’m translating it beneath the pictures.

IMG_20190201_175148.jpg

I plan only since 15:00 as I'm at the school the whole morning so it doesn't make sense to plan anything at that time.
Translation
(After eating)
15:00 Resting
15:45 Meditation
15:55 Arrange the room
16:05 Reading
16:50 Make an orange juice
17:05 Homework (School)
18:30 Snack
18:45 Online course
20:00 GYM (at home)
20:20 Shower
20:40 Online course
21:20 AP2T - Plan the next day
21:40 Dinner
22:00 Online course
22:30 Reading
23:00 Go to bed

My routine isn't always like this (although very similar), but I will plan every day depending on my priorities.

Of course, I have not invented this, but I have learned it from different successful people and put together the best practices based on my experience.

Probably lots of you already implement/have implemented this before, but I wanted to write about this for people who have never thought about doing it or tested it.

Did you already use this? How do you implement it? Any recommendations? I’m reading all of you!

*Sorry if some parts of this text aren't totally correct/ they don’t make sense; my English isn’t very advanced yet, but I’m trying to improve every day, sorry for the inconvenience.

I hope you enjoy the post.

Thanks and greetings,

Santi.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Marius973

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Jan 31, 2019
Hi, I too was like you before but I had trouble planning my day because:
-If there was a contingency that changed my planing
-If I spend more time on a task so that changes everything
-If I finish school at different times
-My mother call me to eat at different times

And I have a question, the day is you in shape?
Because I think you sleep very tart?

Marius (From France)

Santi M

See you on the fastlane
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jul 22, 2018
Fastlane

Santi M

See you on the fastlane
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jul 22, 2018
Fastlane
Hi, I too was like you before but I had trouble planning my day because:
-If there was a contingency that changed my planing
-If I spend more time on a task so that changes everything
-If I finish school at different times
-My mother call me to eat at different times

Marius (From France)

Hi Marius!
I know sometimes it's difficult to plan a day if you aren't sure about what you are going to do, but I think it's better to have a plan an achieve what you can rather than not planning anything. In case your days are so unpredictable then I'll recommend you to do something simpler, for example, writing down three things you must achieve the next day. It's not like planning the day but at least you will achieve little goals every day.

Regarding this, yes, I keep perfect the whole day. Here in Spain, we go to bed so late (compared with the rest of Europe). But I sleep 8 hours, I think that's ok. I go to bed at 11 pm and wake up at 7 am, so, no problem.
:smile::thumbsup:

Diallo Mamadou

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Feb 1, 2019
Belgium

Zcott

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Jul 24, 2018
I plan my day; it's important. I like to visualise myself doing the things I have planned the night before the next day.

.B.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Jun 18, 2016
Belgium, Europe
Agreed: simple tool and efficient.

The productivity journal from Intelligent Change was great for me to stay on track too.

It uses your P2TD approach and adds a few elements

You can buy their agenda or build your own getting inspired from their sample page: Productivity Planner PDF

It is worth reading how they propose to implement pomodoros. Not the usual way, very efficient to stay focused

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

njord

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Nov 24, 2016
I dont see the point of micro managing your hole day, its very time intensive and if things take longer to do or if things come up your hole "schedule" gets f*cked up.

I just plan 1 to max 3 things that need to be done today and if iv completed them I look at my trello overview for the next task that needs to be done.
This way you dont waste time over planning everything and you stay flexible.

If you plan more things you will just clog your day up and wont be able to focus on what really matters.

I use the system @LightHouse posted i swear by it now its really good and the cool thing is you can custumize it to your wishes:
GOLD! - Achieve Laser FOCUS + PRODUCTIVITY With The System Legendary Fastlaners Use...

Santi M

See you on the fastlane
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jul 22, 2018
Fastlane

Santi M

See you on the fastlane
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jul 22, 2018
Fastlane
I dont see the point of micro managing your hole day, its very time intensive and if things take longer to do or if things come up your hole "schedule" gets f*cked up.

I just plan 1 to max 3 things that need to be done today and if iv completed them I look at my trello overview for the next task that needs to be done.
This way you dont waste time over planning everything and you stay flexible.

If you plan more things you will just clog your day up and wont be able to focus on what really matters.

I use the system @LightHouse posted i swear by it now its really good and the cool thing is you can custumize it to your wishes:
GOLD! - Achieve Laser FOCUS + PRODUCTIVITY With The System Legendary Fastlaners Use...

Hi man, yeah maybe sometimes it can be uncomfortable if things come up, but the point here is not losing time, so if you have to stop doing something to do something more important that's ok, the goal is never to stop doing things and wonder "What should I do now..?" and things like that. Besides, it is not 'normal' that things came up if you have a routine.

Anyway, I've seen people who are more comfortable doing what you said, only planning the 1 to 3 things they have to do and they work perfectly that way. It's up to you and your personality and lifestyle.

In my case, putting 10 minutes in planning will save me some hours the next day.

Thank you for your answer and your recommendation.:thumbsup:

Santi.

Santi M

See you on the fastlane
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jul 22, 2018
Fastlane
Why don't u do it one mobile phone or the internet?

Well, you can do it on your phone if you prefer it, in my case I do it in a notebook because I turn my phone off a while before I go to bed (the time when I do plan the next day) and I turn it on a while after I wake up, also I let it away while I'm working or whatever so I prefer to have the planning separated from the phone for eliminating distraction.

njord

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Nov 24, 2016
Hi man, yeah maybe sometimes it can be uncomfortable if things come up, but the point here is not losing time, so if you have to stop doing something to do something more important that's ok, the goal is never to stop doing things and wonder "What should I do now..?" and things like that. Besides, it is not 'normal' that things came up if you have a routine.

Anyway, I've seen people who are more comfortable doing what you said, only planning the 1 to 3 things they have to do and they work perfectly that way. It's up to you and your personality and lifestyle.

In my case, putting 10 minutes in planning will save me some hours the next day.

Thank you for your answer and your recommendation.:thumbsup:

Santi.

The thing is is you do as you say and delegate multiple tasks throughout the day and follow your sedule when you stop a task before its completed to do a diffrent task you waste so much time and energy.

They have done studys that have shown that people at work that are distracted or interupted with there work need up to 30 minute to get back to their task.

If you keep at one task intill it is completed you will save your self alot of time and energy

Santi M

See you on the fastlane
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jul 22, 2018
Fastlane
The thing is is you do as you say and delegate multiple tasks throughout the day and follow your sedule when you stop a task before its completed to do a diffrent task you waste so much time and energy.

They have done studys that have shown that people at work that are distracted or interupted with there work need up to 30 minute to get back to their task.

If you keep at one task intill it is completed you will save your self alot of time and energy

You are right, but for this reason, I put the time I need in every task. Through practice, analysis and experience in planning your days (I'm talking about 1-2 weeks, not years) you can learn the time that each task takes. Maybe sometimes you have to plan the whole day only doing one thing, where the other things you plan are only eating hours or something like this, no problem with that. But this is never my case at this moment.

andyhaus44

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
May 17, 2017
St. Charles, MO
Hello, fastlaners!

I start this thread to tell you about a tool which I’ve used for a “long” time (long enough for having tested it correctly) and I wanted to share it with you so you can take advantage of it if you want to.

I have to say that this tool isn’t a revolutionary thing at all, but implemented correctly can revolutionize how you use your time, namely your life.

I like to call this:

AP2T – Always Plan Tomorrow Today

Always Plan Tomorrow Today, yes, I refer to it like AP2T because it’s easy (and cool in my opinion).

Why use it?
This tool is very powerful because it brings you something very important; time. Using this tool, you are “investing” about 10 minutes today to get back hours tomorrow.

You should always plan tomorrow today if:

• If you know you aren’t making the most of your days and you feel bad about it.
  • If you don’t want to waste a lot of time thinking what to do at every moment.
  • If you want to go to bed more relaxed and have a better sleep.
  • If you want to be more productive.
  • If you want to be more organized.

How to use it?
It’s very easy to plan the next day every day, the “hard” thing here is to have the willpower of doing it every day and above all, stick to it to accomplish your daily goals.

The only thing you have to do is the following:

Grab a notebook/diary and at the end of the day think about the things you have to do tomorrow, including meals, exercise, etc.

Then, you have to write the time you start that activity and right down, the next one carrying out the same procedure. The time you start the next thing is the time you finish the previous one.

NOTE: Of course, your daily goals have to be aligned with your weekly-monthly-yearly goals.

For the people who have never planned his day before it’s normal you don’t know how long take some activities, don’t worry, only allocate the time you want to expend in each activity (and you think it’s enough but not so comfortable) and as the days go by, adjust your schedule.

For making this clear, I’m attaching a photo of the diary I use and an example of a random page of a day planned so you can see how I do it.

Since the year started I’ve been using a diary, but it’s not necessary, I used to do it in a normal small notebook.

I’m from Spain so the text is in Spanish, but I’m translating it beneath the pictures.

View attachment 23528

I plan only since 15:00 as I'm at the school the whole morning so it doesn't make sense to plan anything at that time.
Translation
(After eating)
15:00 Resting
15:45 Meditation
15:55 Arrange the room
16:05 Reading
16:50 Make an orange juice
17:05 Homework (School)
18:30 Snack
18:45 Online course
20:00 GYM (at home)
20:20 Shower
20:40 Online course
21:20 AP2T - Plan the next day
21:40 Dinner
22:00 Online course
22:30 Reading
23:00 Go to bed

My routine isn't always like this (although very similar), but I will plan every day depending on my priorities.

Of course, I have not invented this, but I have learned it from different successful people and put together the best practices based on my experience.

Probably lots of you already implement/have implemented this before, but I wanted to write about this for people who have never thought about doing it or tested it.

Did you already use this? How do you implement it? Any recommendations? I’m reading all of you!

*Sorry if some parts of this text aren't totally correct/ they don’t make sense; my English isn’t very advanced yet, but I’m trying to improve every day, sorry for the inconvenience.

I hope you enjoy the post.

Thanks and greetings,

Santi.
Thank you for sharing this. I use MJ’s My Fastlane Daily and allocate the time on the back of the planner

.B.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Jun 18, 2016
Belgium, Europe

Agreed with Santi & Njord: have to find what fits your needs, personality, environment, constraints...

Writing the schedule in advance can be a way to help us to make time for the task. (easier to say no to external requests)

And indeed the setup of Trello from LightHouse is pretty cool. And TRello syncs with the phone.

Today I start using the pomodoro app "Focus To-Do":
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.superelement.pomodoro&hl=en

It seems well done (To help stay focused without interruptions and to keep track of the blocks of time spent with focus on the important tasks)

lejus

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Jun 8, 2017
UK
I do it Andy Frisella style. I plan 5 things that will move me forward and to them + my daily habits for which I use habitica, and whatever comes up as necessary to do. It is really variation of the same technique but I might try this for a change to see is there any improvement. Thanks for the post. Good stuff.

.B.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Jun 18, 2016
Belgium, Europe
I ... daily habits for which I use habitica, .

I will give that app a try.

I am a bit put off by the game-like screenshots that might not look serious enough for my ego at work :p

But a habit gamifying app may help put in place habits through Cue -> Craving -> Habit/Process -> Reward

Cf. the book "Atomic Habits" discussed on the forum this month:
BOOK - Atomic Habits, by James Clear (Review & Discussion)

andyhaus44

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
May 17, 2017
St. Charles, MO
I do it Andy Frisella style. I plan 5 things that will move me forward and to them + my daily habits for which I use habitica, and whatever comes up as necessary to do. It is really variation of the same technique but I might try this for a change to see is there any improvement. Thanks for the post. Good stuff.
Coach.me is a great app for tracking habits

S.Y.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 4, 2017
Canada
Very nice. The most important thing is finding what works for you.

On my end, I do plan my days. Well, sort of.

Every day I identify:
- the most important outcome of the day. I block time to do it.
- a maximum of three other tasks that would make a significant difference. Depending on how my agenda looks like (all my appointments are on it), I might block time for that. If not, when I have time, I tackle those tasks.

That's it. I don't aim to be productive and efficient every min possible. My philosophy is to identify the big rocks and knock them off.

Santi M

See you on the fastlane
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jul 22, 2018
Fastlane
easier to say no to external requests
Absolutely! That's another great advantage. I forgot to mention it, thank you.

I think it is so important to learn to say NO.

Santi M

See you on the fastlane
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jul 22, 2018
Fastlane
Is it better than habitica?
I never heard of Habitica and I just took a look at it in the play store, it looks great! Gamification looks very interesting for keeping you "hooked" on accomplishing your tasks... probably I'll test this app. Thank you!

lejus

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Jun 8, 2017
UK
I will give that app a try.

I am a bit put off by the game-like screenshots that might not look serious enough for my ego at work :p

But a habit gamifying app may help put in place habits through Cue -> Craving -> Habit/Process -> Reward

Cf. the book "Atomic Habits" discussed on the forum this month:
BOOK - Atomic Habits, by James Clear (Review & Discussion)

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk[/QUOT

A long time ago I've tried 2-3 different apps (can't remember the name). Most of them had some form of to do list sometimes with 1-2 extra features. Why I kept using habitica:
-decent synchronization between mobile app and website, quick refresh works when problems occur but those are hardly ever
-it is possible to create party and work together with your friends when someone slacks on their tasks everybody lose their health so your friends will nag you do to the work
-a separation between habits, dailies and to do. Therefore I was able to separate my 5 tasks a day from my daily routine and to do list
- tasks, todo and dailies work differently, some need to be tick daily some just change color when not done for too long, etc this way you can easier separate for different types of habits, you can also setup separate timeframes for habits and difficulty level, those are things I didn't see on any other apps
- there is a possibility to work with strangers, there are groups, guilds, and challenges, you can pick from already organized and designed group habits where you get plan and support that is custom build, especially when your habits fall into common categories like: study, read, get fit, productivity etc you probably already have challenge for it created with group of ppl already doing it and supporting each other, you just have to join and read how they planned it, this does not stop you from creating your own, but 10 h/week work challenge is one that helped me a lot with side hustle.I don't join it that often anymore but I kept most of the principles and setup they used in my weekly setup.
- there is an option for negative habits, therefore TV watching, facebook scrolling whatever you press it as a negative habit and you lose health, therefore you can both monitor and make conscious negative habits
Habitica have downsides:
-it is the worst in terms of childish graphic design
- overall as a game it is not a very good one, that might be actually good thing, you don't get caught in playing instead of working it's like a small addition, on the other hand maybe you would work more if it was better, hard to say, either way after few months gaming aspect is something they could remove and I wouldn't care
-since it's complex nature you get occasionally caught up in differences between app and website if you use both but I didn't find this to be a big issue.

I am still reading Atomic habits, I probably should occasionally focus on just one book instead of reading 7 at the same time but I've done it for too long and I am too deep the rabbit hole, I don't think I can't go back. Downside is that sometimes it is short and good book but still takes me long time to finish because other ones are just too addictive :)

EDIT: Sorry for the lengthy post but I noticed few people being interested in habit forming apps, and since habitica seems less mainstream I thought I will share my experience with it since it was mostly positive and , this app definately have more unique futures than any other I've tried.

.B.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Jun 18, 2016
Belgium, Europe
- tasks, todo and dailies work differently, some need to be tick daily some just change color when not done for too long, etc this way you can easier separate for different types of habits, you can also setup separate timeframes for habits

-it is possible to create party and work together with your friends when someone slacks on their tasks everybody lose their health so your friends will nag you do to the work

-... when your habits fall into common categories like: study, read, get fit, productivity etc you probably already have challenge for it created with group of ppl already doing it and supporting each other, you just have to join and read how they planned it, this does not stop you from creating your own, but 10 h/week work challenge is one that helped me a lot with side hustle...

- there is an option for negative habits, therefore TV watching, facebook scrolling ...

EDIT: Sorry for the lengthy post ... since it was mostly positive and , this app definately have more unique futures than any other I've tried.

Don't apologize for a valuable lengthy post! :-D

Thanks, great info in your post regarding the available features.

I was looking for some of those features! (Specifically those above in the quote)

Last edited:

Santi M

See you on the fastlane
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jul 22, 2018
Fastlane
A long time ago I've tried 2-3 different apps (can't remember the name). Most of them had some form of to do list sometimes with 1-2 extra features. Why I kept using habitica:
-decent synchronization between mobile app and website, quick refresh works when problems occur but those are hardly ever
-a separation between habits, dailies and to do. Therefore I was able to separate my 5 tasks a day from my daily routine and to do list
- tasks, todo and dailies work differently, some need to be tick daily some just change color when not done for too long, etc this way you can easier separate for different types of habits, you can also setup separate timeframes for habits and difficulty level, those are things I didn't see on any other apps
- there is a possibility to work with strangers, there are groups, guilds, and challenges, you can pick from already organized and designed group habits where you get plan and support that is custom build, especially when your habits fall into common categories like: study, read, get fit, productivity etc you probably already have challenge for it created with group of ppl already doing it and supporting each other, you just have to join and read how they planned it, this does not stop you from creating your own, but 10 h/week work challenge is one that helped me a lot with side hustle.I don't join it that often anymore but I kept most of the principles and setup they used in my weekly setup.
- there is an option for negative habits, therefore TV watching, facebook scrolling whatever you press it as a negative habit and you lose health, therefore you can both monitor and make conscious negative habits
Habitica have downsides:
-it is the worst in terms of childish graphic design
- overall as a game it is not a very good one, that might be actually good thing, you don't get caught in playing instead of working it's like a small addition, on the other hand maybe you would work more if it was better, hard to say, either way after few months gaming aspect is something they could remove and I wouldn't care
-since it's complex nature you get occasionally caught up in differences between app and website if you use both but I didn't find this to be a big issue.

I am still reading Atomic habits, I probably should occasionally focus on just one book instead of reading 7 at the same time but I've done it for too long and I am too deep the rabbit hole, I don't think I can't go back. Downside is that sometimes it is short and good book but still takes me long time to finish because other ones are just too addictive :)

EDIT: Sorry for the lengthy post but I noticed few people being interested in habit forming apps, and since habitica seems less mainstream I thought I will share my experience with it since it was mostly positive and , this app definately have more unique futures than any other I've tried.

Awesome post man, thank you; This app is definitely so interesting.

I love this: :rofl:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.