The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

[INTRO] Fighting a lifelong depression on a daily basis, thanks to TMF

Raedrum

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
232%
Jul 30, 2019
Hello Fastlaners,

First of all please forgive my rough English, I live in Belgium and speak French, and writing this thread take me a lot of focus.

[EDIT]
Initially I planned to do a very long, multi-part post to explain my life in details, but Lex's genuine interest for my present issues remind me that this is not a psychiatrists forum, but an entreprenneur's one, so I'll for a shorter version.

So it’s been 3.5 years since I read TMF and considering the present situation, it’s time for me to properly introduce myself and ask for some advices. Didn’t do it sooner because there’s so much to tell and I’m not really proud of my life until now. Maybe I was afraid and waited to get some results, finding excuses, but I have the feeling that I’m at a crossroad so it’s now or never. I must engage with the community and take action in order to get feedbacks. This is also a way to bring value on TFF, for now. Maybe someone will be inspired by my story, wich I believe is full of resilience.

In short, I'm a 33 years old, ultra-sensitive guy, living back with his mother since 2 years. Despite being in the 2.5% top IQ (military tests) and my teachers high hopes, I've failed my bio-engineering studies several times when I was younger (because freedom, weed addiction and lies to myself). This and girlfriends ruptures made me dive in a slow but sure depression and developing heavy weed and video games addiction. I've worked incredibly shitty jobs in my 20' (gas station casher, turning night shift, violents clients etc...). Despite the death of my father, in the middle of a shift, I've done them perfectly, being congratulated by my bosses. All for the sake of taking back my studies, in pure engineering, what I've do at 28, living with a girl at the capital. I have learned advanced math entry examination all by myself without any classes or teacher and nailedt it. But when my dream was about to become true, I realized that university as became a shitty place full of monkeys, and working 90hours/week without proper support made me do an explosive burnout, followed by 6 months of total terrifying depression. I began to had suicidal thoughts and some of my hair turned white.

Then (after reading Rich Dad who was... meh) I discover TMF /TFF and I get my FTE. I don't fear to tell MJ saved my life. I was suffocating, he brought me air. I felt blocked, he brought me ways. In short, MJ gave me what I no longer had: HOPE, and the realization that I can do whatever I want with my live, even at 30. It was 3 years ago and I began to slowly bounce back. Today entreprenneurship keeps me alive. It made me begin to question and work on myself, day after day.

So 3 years ago I needed to go with anything for the sake of having a purpose. I find projects about Digital Signage on TFF and began to learn linux networking, bashing, graphic design, eventually developing my own embedded chip, worldwide manageable, again all by myself with internet classes. It felt good to do something. I even learned a third language (Netherlands) in formation. But then came the COVID and with my total lack of marketing skills, I wasn't able to make it profitable. Eventually I breaked up with my girlfriend and came back at my mom's to get time to focus on my business. Nonetheless I get my feet wet and begin to do things I have never imagined I will do in my life, like prospecting large group and obtaining meeting with marketing directors.

1.5 years ago I switched project and begin to do webdesign, following the thread and youtube channel of Fox. I get few results, beginning with websites for friends and eventually sell one for 1000eu to a 25 years long self-employed accountant. All of them was very pleased with my work.

But, prospection is very hard for me. Calling 30 personn a day like some people do is something I can't do yet. So, realising I was blocked by incredible perfectionnism (excuses), delusionnal dreams and doing action-faking for a very long time, I began to take hard decision a few months ago, like giving up on my unemployement benefits, getting full self-employed (with taxes) and putting me in real financial stress in order to delete all excuses.

It worked in some way, pushing me forward, and in the last 3-4 weeks I had several realizations, like the importance of network, and the fact that I must sell strategies instead of just websites. I began to full my agenda and unlock project for next summer. But I'm in a bad financial state right now (3000eu in debt) and I need money now.

So there it is. I have never learned and growed so much as in the last 3 years, and entrepreneurship is what's preventing me to fall appart. I feel at a crossroad and I need to engage with TFF community in order to get support and advices. I bounced back from mediocrity and pain a lot of times in my life, I know what hard work and resilience is. But my action faking and lack of results have slowly eroded my motivation, the desert begin to seems very long.

Webmarketing is complicated, I have difficulties defining my USP (websites ? funnels ? email ? socials ads ?), bringing true results (other than a pretty websites) and my persona. Also phoning is very hard for me. I see the progress and that I become stronger everyday, but I need to go faster, I've lost enough time.

I'm daily fighting my depression and addiction, recently I started to manage to quit smoking weed and drink alcohol (I try since almost 2 years, I was an heavy smoker for 10+ years) and to do sport again. I see the progress in myself since 3 years, people begin to see me differently, but I feel like I'm digging in granit with a spoon.

Nonetheless I'm nowhere near to abandon entrepreneurship for it is the reason I get up in the morning.

To answer your question Lex, what advice do I need ? I don't know, sometime I begin to feel like a loser (I have the tendency to compare myself to other) but I feel like I already know what I'm doing wrong. I must focus on one product that bring results to my clients, and prospect more and more. I hesitate to take a part time job because financial stress, but I can't get over the feeling that this time should be employed for something way more profitable, like the copywriting you do. For the moment I try to sell graphic design (I'm pretty good with photoshop now) but this feel like a waste of time compared to websites and clients are annoying and pay badly.

I know I can do it, I have the feeling that I am close get real results, I work well, I evolve and question myself, but I begin to feel thirsty, of money, of live, because currently I have nothing but my health and a few friends. Maybe I just needed someone like you telling me that I can get up once f*** again. (like you just did)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

BangMan

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Feb 22, 2023
Hello Fastlaners,

First of all please forgive my rough English, I live in Belgium and speak French, and writing this thread take me a lot of focus.

Second, this post will be very long, so I’m going to post it in several parts over the course of the week, because I know that I’m not going to do it at all if I don’t begin somewhere. I’ve already written half of it but I must re-read, correct and simplify. It’s like my first real commitment to the forum.

Third, I’d be very glad if people like @Fox , @Andy Black , @Lex DeVille and of course @MJ DeMarco find the time to read it, because they brought me so much over the past 3 years. Any other persons that are willing to dive in a long and complex story and bring support are of course welcome.

So it’s been 3.5 years since I read TMF and considering the present situation, it’s time for me to properly introduce myself and ask for some advices. Didn’t do it sooner because there’s so much to tell and I’m not really proud of my life until now. Maybe I was afraid and waited to get some results, finding excuses, but I have the feeling that I’m at a crossroad so it’s now or never. I must engage with the community and take action in order to get feedbacks.

DISCLAIMER: I’m gonna be specific and brutally honest, and the story you’re about to read is quite sad and harsh, (kind the opposite of those 20 years old successful entreprenneurs keeping up success that you find on this forum) but please remember I do not complain or try to find responsibles other than myself. I don’t mind getting rushed, but please stay constructive. I’m daily fighting bouncing back from a lifelong depression, addictions, bad habits, fears, doubts, delusional dreams, headlong rush and a LOT of time wasting.

In short, this is a school case of wasted potential. Where young successful entreprenneur turned right and keeped up success, I turned left and keeped up failures.

And please note I’m nowhere near to abandon entrepreneurship, for it have litteraly saved my life and gave me purpose. I have never learned and evolved so much as in the past 3 years, and I’m now asking advices from this unbelievable community, because reading TMF was the first milestone of beginning to work on myself, learn things, self-question and growing as an human. There was a before and an after, entreprenneurship is now what preventing me to fall appart.

I feel that the present situation is a crossroad for me because I’m in a bad financial state but nonetheless I have started taking hard decisions, getting results and progress since the last few months.

So that’s it, now I’m going all-in with you. This is very difficult for me (I’m not the “exposing my life” type) but I believe this forum is the greatest place, and that I will find support by its members. Any kind of advice and even (constructive) shaking will be welcomed.

Who knows, maybe if I become a successful entreprenneur (or just get by with life), somebody will read my story in the darkest of the night and it will help him bounce back and take control of his life. This is my way of bringing value to TFF, for now.

So if you’re still with me, take a seat and be ready for a rolLercOastEr, dark-fantaisy tale ;)

PS: I already feel better to have started this topic, which has been on my list for a long time
I used to be in the same boat. What worked personally was going to the gym, eating healthy food and most importantly meditation.
Now I don’t even know what depression/sadness is. You can try this free guided meditation tool
Hope things get better
All the best!

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Hello Fastlaners,

Second, this post will be very long, so I’m going to post it in several parts over the course of the week, because I know that I’m not going to do it at all if I don’t begin somewhere. I’ve already written half of it but I must re-read, correct and simplify. It’s like my first real commitment to the forum.

Third, I’d be very glad if people like @Fox , @Andy Black , @Lex DeVille and of course @MJ DeMarco find the time to read it, because they brought me so much over the past 3 years. Any other persons that are willing to dive in a long and complex story and bring support are of course welcome.

So it’s been 3.5 years since I read TMF and considering the present situation, it’s time for me to properly introduce myself and ask for some advices. Didn’t do it sooner because there’s so much to tell and I’m not really proud of my life until now. Maybe I was afraid and waited to get some results, finding excuses, but I have the feeling that I’m at a crossroad so it’s now or never. I must engage with the community and take action in order to get feedbacks.

DISCLAIMER: I’m gonna be specific and brutally honest, and the story you’re about to read is quite sad and harsh, (kind the opposite of those 20 years old successful entreprenneurs keeping up success that you find on this forum) but please remember I do not complain or try to find responsibles other than myself. I don’t mind getting rushed, but please stay constructive. I’m daily fighting bouncing back from a lifelong depression, addictions, bad habits, fears, doubts, delusional dreams, headlong rush and a LOT of time wasting.

In short, this is a school case of wasted potential. Where young successful entreprenneur turned right and keeped up success, I turned left and keeped up failures.

And please note I’m nowhere near to abandon entrepreneurship, for it have litteraly saved my life and gave me purpose. I have never learned and evolved so much as in the past 3 years, and I’m now asking advices from this unbelievable community, because reading TMF was the first milestone of beginning to work on myself, learn things, self-question and growing as an human. There was a before and an after, entreprenneurship is now what preventing me to fall appart.

I feel that the present situation is a crossroad for me because I’m in a bad financial state but nonetheless I have started taking hard decisions, getting results and progress since the last few months.

So that’s it, now I’m going all-in with you. This is very difficult for me (I’m not the “exposing my life” type) but I believe this forum is the greatest place, and that I will find support by its members. Any kind of advice and even (constructive) shaking will be welcomed.

Who knows, maybe if I become a successful entreprenneur (or just get by with life), somebody will read my story in the darkest of the night and it will help him bounce back and take control of his life. This is my way of bringing value to TFF, for now.

So if you’re still with me, take a seat and be ready for a rolLercOastEr, dark-fantaisy tale ;)

PS: I already feel better to have started this topic, which has been on my list for a long time

I'm not sure if this is a progress thread or if you need help with something specific.

What do you need advice about?

As long as you're not dead, you can pick yourself up and try again. The past is already behind you.

Raedrum

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
232%
Jul 30, 2019
I'm not sure if this is a progress thread or if you need help with something specific.

What do you need advice about?

As long as you're not dead, you can pick yourself up and try again. The past is already behind you.

@Lex DeVille you genuine interest for my current problems reminded me that this is not a psychiatrist forum but an entreprenneur's one, so I have edited my first post in order to get more straight to the point. It is now a complete resume of what have bringed me where I am, and my current situation/problems. Feel free to re-read it, it is gonna be way more clear like that.

And thanks for helping me stop wasting time, now my intro is done and I can finally cross it from my list and move forward with the forum.
I used to be in the same boat. What worked personally was going to the gym, eating healthy food and most importantly meditation.
Now I don’t even know what depression/sadness is. You can try this free guided meditation tool
Hope things get better
All the best!

Thank you @BangMan I will check that. I have taught Kung-Fu to younglings when I was a teenager and I know bases of meditation. I think what I really need is to get my a*** back to a combat school, this would make me feel incredibly better I'm sure.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
555%
Apr 17, 2022
I'm daily fighting my depression and addiction
This is the root of the problem.
Conquer your mind and you will have the freedom to do everything you want.

The best tools in the box are:
  • removing toxic things from your life (substances or psychological stressors)
  • eating a clean diet
  • training as hard as you safely can

You are clearly smart and hard working, there's a lot of potential here.
Good luck.

mikel_ma

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Nov 10, 2022
Munich

• eating a clean diet

Good luck.
Hello Fastlaners,

[EDIT]
Initially I planned to do a very long, multi-part post to explain my life in details, but Lex's genuine interest for my present issues remind me that this is not a psychiatrists forum, but an entreprenneur's one, so I'll get more straight to the point.

Second, I’d be very glad if people like @Fox , @Andy Black , @Lex DeVille and of course @MJ DeMarco find the time to read it, because they brought me so much over the past 3 years. Any other persons that are willing to help are of course welcome, but please stay constructive.

So it’s been 3.5 years since I read TMF and considering the present situation, it’s time for me to properly introduce myself and ask for some advices. Didn’t do it sooner because there’s so much to tell and I’m not really proud of my life until now. Maybe I was afraid and waited to get some results, finding excuses, but I have the feeling that I’m at a crossroad so it’s now or never. I must engage with the community and take action in order to get feedbacks. This is also a way to bring value on TFF, for now. Maybe someone will be inspired by my story, wich I believe is full of resilience.

In short, I'm a 33 years old, ultra-sensitive guy, living back with his mother since 2 years. Despite being in the 2.5% top IQ (military tests) and my teachers high hopes, I've failed my bio-engineering studies several times when I was younger (because freedom, weed addiction and lies to myself). This and girlfriends ruptures made me dive in a slow but sure depression and developing heavy weed and video games addiction. I've worked incredibly shitty jobs in my 20' (gas station casher, turning night shift, violents clients etc...). Despite the death of my father, in the middle of a shift, I've done them perfectly, being congratulated by my bosses. All for the sake of taking back my studies, in pure engineering, what I've do at 28, living with a girl at the capital. I have learned advanced math entry examination all by myself without any classes or teacher and nailedt it. But when my dream was about to become true, I realized that university as became a shitty place full of monkeys, and working 90hours/week without proper support made me do an explosive burnout, followed by 6 months of total terrifying depression. I began to had suicidal thoughts and some of my hair turned white.

Then (after reading Rich Dad who was... meh) I discover TMF/TFF and I get my FTE. I don't fear to tell MJ saved my life. I was suffocating, he brought me air. I felt blocked, he brought me ways. In short, MJ gave me what I no longer had: HOPE, and the realization that I can do whatever I want with my live, even at 30. It was 3 years ago and I began to slowly bounce back. Today entreprenneurship keeps me alive. It made me begin to question and work on myself, day after day.

So 3 years ago I needed to go with anything for the sake of having a purpose. I find projects about Digital Signage on TFF and began to learn linux networking, bashing, graphic design, eventually developing my own embedded chip, worldwide manageable, again all by myself with internet classes. It felt good to do something. I even learned a third language (Netherlands) in formation. But then came the COVID and with my total lack of marketing skills, I wasn't able to make it profitable. Eventually I breaked up with my girlfriend and came back at my mom's to get time to focus on my business. Nonetheless I get my feet wet and begin to do things I have never imagined I will do in my life, like prospecting large group and obtaining meeting with marketing directors.

1.5 years ago I switched project and begin to do webdesign, following the thread and youtube channel of Fox. I get few results, beginning with websites for friends and eventually sell one for 1000eu to a 25 years long self-employed accountant. All of them was very pleased with my work.

But, prospection is very hard for me. Calling 30 personn a day like some people do is something I can't do yet. So, realising I was blocked by incredible perfectionnism (excuses), delusionnal dreams and doing action-faking for a very long time, I began to take hard decision a few months ago, like giving up on my unemployement benefits, getting full self-employed (with taxes) and putting me in real financial stress in order to delete all excuses.

It worked in some way, pushing me forward, and in the last 3-4 weeks I had several realizations, like the importance of network, and the fact that I must sell strategies instead of just websites. I began to full my agenda and unlock project for next summer. But I'm in a bad financial state right now (3000eu in debt) and I need money now.

So there it is. I have never learned and growed so much as in the last 3 years, and entrepreneurship is what's preventing me to fall appart. I feel at a crossroad and I need to engage with TFF community in order to get support and advices. I bounced back from mediocrity and pain a lot of times in my life, I know what hard work and resilience is. But my action faking and lack of results have slowly eroded my motivation, the desert begin to seems very long.

Webmarketing is complicated, I have difficulties defining my USP (websites ? funnels ? email ? socials ads ?), bringing true results (other than a pretty websites) and my persona. Also phoning is very hard for me. I see the progress and that I become stronger everyday, but I need to go faster, I've lost enough time.

I'm daily fighting my depression and addiction, recently I started to manage to quit smoking weed and drink alcohol (I try since almost 2 years, I was an heavy smoker for 10+ years) and to do sport again. I see the progress in myself since 3 years, people begin to see me differently, but I feel like I'm digging in granit with a spoon.

Nonetheless I'm nowhere near to abandon entrepreneurship for it is the reason I get up in the morning.

To answer your question Lex, what advice do I need ? I don't know, sometime I begin to feel like a loser (I have the tendency to compare myself to other) but I feel like I already know what I'm doing wrong. I must focus on one product that bring results to my clients, and prospect more and more. I hesitate to take a part time job because financial stress, but I can't get over the feeling that this time should be employed for something way more profitable, like the copywriting you do. For the moment I try to sell graphic design (I'm pretty good with photoshop now) but this feel like a waste of time compared to websites and clients are annoying and pay badly.

I know I can do it, I have the feeling that I am close get real results, I work well, I evolve and question myself, but I begin to feel thirsty, of money, of live, because currently I have nothing but my health and a few friends. Maybe I just needed someone like you telling me that I can get up once f*** again. (like you just did)
I do had my share of experience with depression, real diagnosed borderline, and panic attacks that make you unable to leave the house.

What I can tell is that good therapy can work but for most people it doesn’t.
Medication mostly doesn’t solve the root if the problem.

What I know for sure is that breathing techniques really work. I never found a tool more simple but truly efficient than the Sudarshan Kriya breathing techniques. I truly recommend you to do a workshop for these techniques. It is one of the most valuable tools that I got to know so far for dealing with psychological problems.

I am almost certain that if you try this a lots of your problems will disappear or at least get a lot easier.

Just try it and I hope you find it helpful.

In Germany you can find workshops at this organization: What is Sudarshan Kriya?

But I think they also offer it in Belgium too.

Looking forward to hear how your story goes on.

Regards
Mikel

Raedrum

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
232%
Jul 30, 2019

• eating a clean diet

Good luck.

Yess my mind being my ennemy has been the story of my life, but being remembered that sure helps a lot.
I will remember your words and strengthen the conquest of my mind day after day because it is the way to go.

Thank you !

I do had my share of experience with depression, real diagnosed borderline, and panic attacks that make you unable to leave the house.

What I can tell is that good therapy can work but for most people it doesn’t.
Medication mostly doesn’t solve the root if the problem.

What I know for sure is that breathing techniques really work. I never found a tool more simple but truly efficient than the Sudarshan Kriya breathing techniques. I truly recommend you to do a workshop for these techniques. It is one of the most valuable tools that I got to know so far for dealing with psychological problems.

I am almost certain that if you try this a lots of your problems will disappear or at least get a lot easier.

Just try it and I hope you find it helpful.

In Germany you can find workshops at this organization: What is Sudarshan Kriya?

But I think they also offer it in Belgium too.

Looking forward to hear how your story goes on.

Regards
Mikel

I understand 100%, I had dealt with anxiety attack in the past and therapy helped, but indeed often "hacks" that leverage big results (like respiration technique) is the way to go. I'll begin to do meditation and respiration techniques again.

For how my story goes on, I’m starting to be able to do without weed but now my hormonal/psychological state is rebalancing. It is stressing but I feel better, your commentaries helped me and today I picked up the phone and hustle good.

Thank you !

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
555%
Apr 17, 2022
Yess my mind being my ennemy has been the story of my life
You're not alone brother.

For the vast majority of people, we are our own worst enemy.

If you manage to conquer yourself by achieving mastery over your mind, body and emotions, life becomes limitless.

This is literarily 80% of the battle. If you can win this, achieving your goals becomes a cakewalk. You are playing life in EZ mode.

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
Few things that help me:

- Acknowledging our brains aren't designed for happiness, they are designed for survival. - It's not your brains job to make you happy.

- Emotions are like weather, some days it rains, some days its sunny. We get taught that we should remove all bad emotions (rainy days) and that they are a huge problem that must be 'solved'. It's called being alive.

- Depression is often your brains way of urging you to change. Change your circumstances, your choices, actions. Listen to it as a signal.

- Check in with Tony Robbins 6 core needs and see if you have any obvious lack.
- Certainty
- Variety
- Significance (feeling of)
- Love & Connection
- Growth
- Contribution

I often notice if I'm missing one or many of these in my life, I start to feel 'off'.

Raedrum

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
232%
Jul 30, 2019
You're not alone brother.

For the vast majority of people, we are our own worst enemy.

If you manage to conquer yourself by achieving mastery over your mind, body and emotions, life becomes limitless.

This is literarily 80% of the battle. If you can win this, achieving your goals becomes a cakewalk. You are playing life in EZ mode.

Thank you again, I will remember that as a beacon in my journey. It is difficult to imagine but if others can, why not me.

For now I returned doing meditation daily and I already feel much less stressed

Few things that help me:

- Acknowledging our brains aren't designed for happiness, they are designed for survival. - It's not your brains job to make you happy.

- Emotions are like weather, some days it rains, some days its sunny. We get taught that we should remove all bad emotions (rainy days) and that they are a huge problem that must be 'solved'. It's called being alive.

- Depression is often your brains way of urging you to change. Change your circumstances, your choices, actions. Listen to it as a signal.

- Check in with Tony Robbins 6 core needs and see if you have any obvious lack.
- Certainty
- Variety
- Significance (feeling of)
- Love & Connection
- Growth
- Contribution

I often notice if I'm missing one or many of these in my life, I start to feel 'off'.

This is very interesting, I indeed have some lacks. I must take to time to think about that and developp habits that drive results in order to fullfill that.

Thank you for your insights this seem logical but I don't often take the time to think and act about that, I'm too focused on specific things

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...