The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

8 Eyewear: From Idea, to Launch, to Growth (And Quitting the Job)

Idea threads

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
Great job looks great hopefully I can help spread the word to my friends and outdoorsmen communities

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
Hey @Vick , so psyched to buy some aviators! Please post when you've got 'em...I'm in!

Thanks bud. Wont be for quite awhile. Probably like 10-12 months till release

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
Update.

Well, my Facebook ads seem to be working amazing... finally.

Took me months of tweaking, but were now finally doing between 4-6k a day, and spending $1300-1500 on ads.

I would raise the ad budget, but I will run out of inventory before the next shipment, so I've kept it where it is for now. I'm placing a much larger order in a few days, so in a month or so, I'll be raising the budget to around $2000-2500 a day, maybe more.

VX order got delayed again. arrrgh, frigin China. lol, anyway, the shipment is expected March 10th to ship. So actually I'll be able to raise my budget when that sucker arrives.

Wayfarer model goes into production within a month. And the Aviator model shortly after that.

More Retailers keep pouring in lately, most likely from my ads doing so well. Our 1 Amazon retailer is placing orders like crazy, massive orders between $4-5k twice a month, so my ads must be having a great effect on there Amazon sales as well.

We opened up to Australia shipping, and the ads are doing very well there, converting like crazy. I've tried a few euro countries, but they wont convert for some reason, still working on tweaking those.

Working on Apparel line in my free time, taking my time with this.

Other then that, things are going amazing :) super stoked for the future!

Cheers.

EDIT - and yes, @MJ DeMarco I'm working on my About Us page, I decided to do a video and such, so its almost done ;) lol putting this off waaaaay to long.

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
We opened up to Australia shipping, and the ads are doing very well there, converting like crazy. I've tried a few euro countries, but they wont convert for some reason, still working on tweaking those.

Might be worth hiring a reputable ad guy from one of those countries. I'm often amazed at how much business and advertising sensibilities vary between even English-speaking countries like Scotland, England, and the USA. You know instinctively what the right kind of "zip" for an ad is in Canada or most of the USA because that's your milieu (But maybe not all. For example, what flies in Ontario or Calgary might not do as well in a rural part of the USA). An INSIDERS's eyes might be helpful abroad.

Last edited:

Mac

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Feb 10, 2015
I've been getting targeted by your ads. The one where the truck runs over the glasses looks like it's doing well.

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
I've been getting targeted by your ads. The one where the truck runs over the glasses looks like it's doing well.

Yup. Doing great. Make sure put a nice review in the comments ;)

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
In Australia the perfect market for you is operators in the mines, they all wear glasses like yours and all have money. Target them and sell them on that it has the safety rating thing so they can wear it while working.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
I'm not sure if this has already been covered in the thread, but with safety ratings for sunglasses, many professions can right them off on their taxes. For example, I wrote off my Oakleys on my taxes when I was in the Marine Corps because the particular pair had a ballistics rating.

Something you may want to use in copy when targeting certain professions.

pgtownsyou

Forge Ahead
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Oct 29, 2013
Minnesota
Mark,

What percentage of your visitors/sales come from mobile?

I recently added a 'sticky' add to cart button to my Shopify for mobile viewers and it seems to help with conversions. Basically the user is presented with an Add To Cart button no matter where they scroll to within the product page. Might be something worth looking into.

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
Mark,

What percentage of your visitors/sales come from mobile?

I recently added a 'sticky' add to cart button to my Shopify for mobile viewers and it seems to help with conversions. Basically the user is presented with an Add To Cart button no matter where they scroll to within the product page. Might be something worth looking into.

mobile traffic to my site is about 90% almost all my conversions are mobile.

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
Oh boy. Every day is like Black Friday for sales.

Shits getting nutty. Haven't even released VX yet.

I may need to look into a fulfilment center soon. I just hate paying out the expense for it because I'm lazy. Lol

iizu

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
260%
Jan 23, 2016
Finland
Oh, man. The sun is starting to shine in Finland, finally. Makes me wanna buy a pair of glasses. Any info on the VERD model? Those look absolutely cool. I'm getting a pair when they're ready to ship.

You spoke about getting into apparel earlier, how is this going?
Have you thought about branding your own EDC-stuff? Should fit in nicely with your current brand. Sunglasses are kind of EDC already.
(EDC=Every Day Carry)

On the other hand, It might "dilute" your current brand.

Keep crushing it!

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
Oh, man. The sun is starting to shine in Finland, finally. Makes me wanna buy a pair of glasses. Any info on the VERD model? Those look absolutely cool. I'm getting a pair when they're ready to ship.

You spoke about getting into apparel earlier, how is this going?
Have you thought about branding your own EDC-stuff? Should fit in nicely with your current brand. Sunglasses are kind of EDC already.
(EDC=Every Day Carry)

On the other hand, It might "dilute" your current brand.

Keep crushing it!

Ski and snowboard Goggles are next on the bucket list. And apparel. Not sure what else yet. But my attention has to be on that. Top priority.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Dude, with these great products and a distinct brand, you are becoming impervious to competitors.

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
Dude, with these great products and a distinct brand, you are becoming impervious to competitors.

its going really well i have to admit. this new model should help strengthen the brand. should be a good year :) hopefully

BlakeIC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 9, 2014
Not Washington
They fit!

I like that you shipped the sunglasses inside the case like you did.
The box was smashed open when I got it.

One thing I didn't like though was the limited shipping options in the checkout, but I also saw it shipped from Canada. So I understand that that creates limiting factors in your shipping options (pricing)

Also, they didn't leave big red marks on my nose like glasses typically do (to me).
Only slight redness that quickly disappeared.

Yay!!!!!!!!!

Those who are curious, I purchased the 'VX - LUX Black - Polarized

Also, I saw the word CHINA printed on the ear piece, is that required to be printed? I saw complaint(s) about your brand quality because of it.

I don't mind though, the Chinese can definitely produce things of quality.

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
They fit!

I like that you shipped the sunglasses inside the case like you did.
The box was smashed open when I got it.

One thing I didn't like though was the limited shipping options in the checkout, but I also saw it shipped from Canada. So I understand that that creates limiting factors in your shipping options (pricing)

Also, they didn't leave big red marks on my nose like glasses typically do (to me).
Only slight redness that quickly disappeared.

Yay!!!!!!!!!

Those who are curious, I purchased the 'VX - LUX Black - Polarized

Also, I saw the word CHINA printed on the ear piece, is that required to be printed? I saw complaint(s) about your brand quality because of it.

I don't mind though, the Chinese can definitely produce things of quality.

Ya, the CHINA logo is required, otherwise there are issues with importing the product into the country. Most people don't mind, but there is always that 1-3% of people who complain, even though pretty much everything in there house and wardrobe comes from China. Strange.

Glad they're working out for you ;) if you have any issues let me know.

Cheers bud!

Denim Chicken

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Jun 5, 2010
California
Ya, the CHINA logo is required, otherwise there are issues with importing the product into the country. Most people don't mind, but there is always that 1-3% of people who complain, even though pretty much everything in there house and wardrobe comes from China. Strange.

Glad they're working out for you ;) if you have any issues let me know.

Cheers bud!
Interesting. Do you know the specifics on this rule? Is this only on sunglasses, products of certain sizes, etc

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ

pds

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Apr 28, 2014
NYC

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada

Sounds like an easy-peel sticker would count as "permanent enough" if I'm reading that right.

Obviously you can't do much about people being upset that the glasses are produced there but being able to easily remove a sticker stating that fact should at least assuage the people who just care about the physical look of the glasses.

Something like this:
main-qimg-bb319c6f3bbb53fd7b48c3dadcc61b45

LateStarter

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Jan 26, 2015
Toronto, Canada
We have a removable sticker on our products. [emoji6]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

UncommonWay

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
462%
May 9, 2011
Pennsylvania, USA
Holy hell, Mark. I just finished reading this thread over the past few days. What you've done and are continuing to do here is just amazing. It has really helped me solidify my understanding for the requirement of process over events. I especially loved the way you bounced back from each setback and emerged stronger after each obstacle. Problems with your manufacturer...dealt with. Copycat ripoff artists...ignored and outclassed. Marvelous.

I also liked when you realized what was most important to you. Very...mature, I guess is the right word.

I'm going to continue referring back to this thread as I develop my fastlane. It was truly inspirational.

I'm posting your strength test video to my FB feed. I wear prescription lenses, so I can't wear your (awesome) sunglasses, but they deserve an enthusiastic mention nonetheless.

Greg R

Act, Assess, Adjust
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
465%
Oct 28, 2015
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
HUGE BUMP and REP++++.

I put off reading this thread for way too long. After seeing it mentioned in UNSCRIPTED at least three times, I knew that I had to read it... and I am pretty much speechless at the moment after basically reading it all in one sitting.

What a roller coaster of a ride! This should be a damn movie script.

I laughed, I teared up. This whole thread was real and it hit very close to home.

@Vick awesome job and thank you for being so transparent. I am really glad that you and the mods kept this thread up because I feel that it has/ will impact my life, my perceptions, and my path.

From the hard work that you and your wife put in trying to transition out of your job. To dealing with your manufacturer. What a perspective you've have given.

I am so proud of you and it was an awesome feeling to put myself in your shoes. It gave me a reality check of what I need to do in order to achieve my goals.

By the time I was nearing the end, I was hoping to see a liquidation event as that would be icing on the cake, but I have no doubt you will get there friend.

Some learning lessons that stood out most to me:
  • Refering to @biophase 's Hardway/ Easyway thread- Hard/ Easy pays off in spades
  • Learning on the fly is the only way to fly
  • Desert of desertion is a bitch and I am so glad that you pushed through
  • Focus your brand around a good story. Storytelling is everything.
  • Dealing with manus are a big fat B. Make sure you find a really good one and or have a back up.
  • Don't listen to everyone. Not your customers, not other forum members, family, and friends. They are not as informed as you thus you can only make the best decision based on the information that you have.
  • Always be improving. Product. Processes.
  • Stick to what is working.
Lastly since this story is so damn compelling, I will be buying myself a pair of these awesome sunglasses.

P.S. Don't forget to update this when Luxotica makes a bid.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Vick - I found a competitor for the service I'm planning on doing and they have VC funding, $100k in sales, etc. etc. But I can tell you one thing, I am coming up on their arses FAST and frankly I will execute 100x better.

Second Mover Advantage.

If anything get out of the validation stage. This company being alive and breathing validates it, now go beat em!
I'm late to the party...but I heard something along the lines of 'Pioneers get shot, settlers get rich.'
Must be a reference to the Wild West exploration lol.

EDIT: @Vick, amazing stuff. You somehow remind me of that young chap who opened one of the first online glasses stores and made a million in a year.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.