The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

6 Harsh Truths that Will Make you a Better Person

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Who would have thought that such Fastlane GOLD would come from a comedy website?

GOLD Jerry! GOLD!

The central thesis is this: The world doesn't give a shit how important YOU think you are.

If you want to know why society seems to shun you, or why you seem to get no respect, it's because society is full of people who need things. They need houses built, they need food to eat, they need entertainment, they need fulfilling sexual relationships. You arrived at the scene of that emergency, holding your pocket knife, by virtue of your birth -- the moment you came into the world, you became part of a system designed purely to see to people's needs.

I'm asking what do you offer? Are you smart? Funny? Interesting? Talented? Ambitious? Creative? OK, now what do you do to demonstrate those attributes to the world? Don't say that you're a nice guy -- that's the bare minimum. Pretty girls have guys being nice to them 36 times a day. The patient is bleeding in the street. Do you know how to operate or not?

Because that's the step that gets skipped -- it's always "How can I get a job?" and not "How can I become the type of person employers want?" It's "How can I get pretty girls to like me?" instead of "How can I become the type of person that pretty girls like?" See, because that second one could very well require giving up many of your favorite hobbies and paying more attention to your appearance, and God knows what else. You might even have to change your personality.

"But why can't I find someone who just likes me for me?" you ask. The answer is because humans need things. The victim is bleeding, and all you can do is look down and complain that there aren't more gunshot wounds that just fix themselves?

Because in my non-expert opinion, you don't hate yourself because you have low self-esteem, or because other people were mean to you. You hate yourself because you don't do anything. Not even you can just "love you for you" -- that's why you're miserable and sending me private messages asking me what I think you should do with your life.

Read more: http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-harsh-truths-that-will-make-you-better-person_p2/#ixzz2FL34TnY1

Full story...

6 Harsh Truths That Will Make You a Better Person | Cracked.com

Thanks to RealOG for the FB post.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

vtlambo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Mar 10, 2012
There are currently 70 users browsing this thread. (7 members and 63 guests).

Lol, damn.

^eagle^

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Mar 17, 2008
Florida
I get the part about adding value. I don't get where being a douchebag comes in. Maybe its being a team player vs. being an individual athlete like a tennis player. Just trying to wrap my head around it.

• Admin

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I don't get where being a douchebag comes in.

Perhaps you are offended by the tone because you are threatened by the truth it holds.

I find the "douchebag" tone entirely refreshing, perhaps because I'm entirely secure in my value.

I'd imagine those offended by it's tone are finding it as a reflection of their own personal insecurities.

^eagle^

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Mar 17, 2008
Florida
No I am open to criticism. thats not it at all. I think it's more because of My belief in "the Golden rule" I personally want open and constructive feedback. and even a occasional dose of reality. But Baldwins a**hole speech I found totally demotivatiing. Not because of the truths but because of the Golden rule. If you wanted to be treated that way I can see how that would motivate you. I just don't think everyone wants to be treated that way. And they could still perform just as well.

As a manager one of the things we had to learn was when o be a hard a$$ and when to be supportive. I got very good at it but couldn't take the shit rolls downhill people.

Also I believe that those motivated by harsh criticism tend to want more things and are more driven to make tens of millions of dollars or more. Those such as myself arent motivated to grow a multinational company. I just want a few million in the bank so I can retire and fish. I think it's more of whether :
A.you're a team player or an individual player
B. Your Goal in life. that is whether you want billions or just enough to be comfortable and your kids comfortable when you pass.

I personally believe that those seeking more than a few million and have mansions with 15 bathrooms aren't right in the head. But that's just my opinion. To each his own.

^eagle^

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Mar 17, 2008
Florida
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/14/opinion/why-i-am-leaving-goldman-sachs.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

I can totally identify with this guy here. I saw who moves up in corporate culture i was in. Those willing to screw the customer out of the most money possible and follow the butt kissing chain. all the while disconnecting from the customer. Sure one might make millions and possibly billions but he will still be an a$$ who no one truly respects.

But I can see why this is the prevalent form of motivation. Because most people are driven by fear and greed rather than logic or reason. I find myself butting heads with that. Thats why i never was successful in corporate culture.

I'm sure some of the people here will take the above article as a warning. Others will probably see it as a blueprint though. Those In my opinion are the one's who aren't right in the head.

mohawkdcg

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Aug 31, 2012
OC Cal
Thanks for posting this well written, high impact article. The symbolism of showing up with a knife to a scene with the GSW victim and being able to help or not, really makes the point. It's like having your face planted in a snow bank for its wake up quality.

It's not the point of the article but in a practical sense, everyone should learn CPR and first aid. This is something you can 'do' to make yourself more useful. I was at a friends house one time with my 5 year old son and someone told me my son was bleeding in the other room. He was lying on his back without moving and a pool of blood was forming on the white shag carpet and seemed to be coming from his eyes that were full of blood as well.

Out of about 20 people there, I was the only one that new first aid. Everyone else was just standing around. My training kicked in and I found the source was a deep gash in his forehead right between the eyes. This area bleeds fast. So I applied pressure to stop the bleeding and held it until more than 7 minutes passed to allow clotting. Then cleaned him up and applied a bandage.

The point is, out of 20 people, no one else knew what to do and he could have bled to death by the time an ambulance got there.

Turns out he had fallen on his toy matchbox 57 T-bird car and the tail fin cut him. He was frightened by the blood and reacted by freezing in place. A freak accident for sure but people not bothering to learn first aid is not an accident.

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
^eagle^... I'm facepalming right now. I know you want just a few million like it's no big deal, and you think the world should just be puppies and kittens and everyone should hand over their money freely in an exchange of millionaire making, but that's not reality. You may consider people like myself to be "not right in the head," but we embrace capitalism.

The article was hard truths. They're true. If you can't stand the heat, don't stand near the fire.

:smilielol:

^eagle^

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Mar 17, 2008
Florida
You are over generalizing. I never said the world was puppies and kittens. Straw man argument I keep hearing about. I get accused of that all the time but when I call someone else on it it's met with silence.

I know I think differently than most and yes, A few million is as much or as little as one perceives it. I took my share of knocks on my journey and I have posted my mistakes here for others as a warning. I see very few people posts their mistakes and failures. makes me wonder who is more ego centric. Plenty of ego to post their successes but no balls to post their failures. I know I am not as egocentric as others. And have learned some valuable lessons this year that will further me in the coming year. And I post my goofs and mistakes as a warning. Not as a cry for pity as one may think.

My point is how is being an over consuming douchebag make me a better person? The rest i agree with.

^eagle^

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Mar 17, 2008
Florida

InMotion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 18, 2011
I agree with most of what is in the article except the title... don't see how it will make you a better person although it will make you more money.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
rottenecard_4648153_wvsznm59nv.jpg

askhole-meme.jpg

My+Opinion+Askhole.JPG

197.jpg

InMotion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 18, 2011
Who is that for I wonder?

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
This thread is awesome! Thanks for sharing!

theDarkness

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Jul 11, 2012
David Wong is brilliant, and that Glengary scene is solid GOLD. I have posted it here a few times here before. One of my favorite things. The combo of Glengary + Wong meant this article was fated for greatness.

This is the money shot:

If you protest that you're not a shallow capitalist materialist and that you disagree that money is everything, I can only say: Who said anything about money? You're missing the larger point.

theDarkness

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Jul 11, 2012
I get the part about adding value. I don't get where being a douchebag comes in. Maybe its being a team player vs. being an individual athlete like a tennis player. Just trying to wrap my head around it.

I don't get where you're getting the thing about being a douchebag.

If you're talking about the Glengarry clip, you have to remember that this is in the Mamet style, and part of the genius of it is that it is so outrageous at the same time as it nails a core truth inside us . . . no one is suggesting that you actually start saying things like "Nice father? I don't give a shit." That's where you get to just enjoy Alec Baldwin being Alec Baldwin.

For me the bit where he feigns tossing back a beer always drives home the point. "Yeah, I was a car salesman. It's a tough racket."

^eagle^

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Mar 17, 2008
Florida
The central thesis is this: The world doesn't give a shit how important YOU think you are

True I understand that.But I would have gone home and played with my kids rather than listen to that Bullshit. Then I would have started my OWN car lot. I'm done with abusive bosses. Thats the whole reason I'm here!

Now hearing a customer bitch is a whole nother situation.

Thats the problem I have with this. The article implies that I have to put up with abusive partners, bosses, peers etc. F*ck that! I'll start my own business and fire the assholes myself! Unless they know how to treat a customer. Then I can put up with a little assholeness. One who makes money vs. one who rips off customers heads that is.

Just sayin'

The rest I agree with. In the meantime.....
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=477650185634392&set=a.268489309883815.67691.268330443233035&type=1&theater

TK1

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Mar 31, 2011
This article is like the ultimate fastlane article, homerun!

The thing I love most about this world is, that the world doesn't care about you.

Most people struggle with that fact, because that's the natural emotion that makes them feel bad "Why happens this to me, I am such a nice person?" "Why is he driving a lambo and is successful even though he's so rude?"

If you get around the fact that everything is only about "What's in it for me" you can actually be free IF you learn to handle your emotions and just get people what they want.

Love it.

ami.jpg

Alana

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Nov 16, 2012
In the middle of a national forest (in N. CA)
Oh no…look out….I just found a new favorite word: askhole.

As far as the debate as to whether or not the content from this site (cracked.com) is too harsh or not, I subscribe to the mentality of ‘tell it like it is; don’t pee on my leg and tell me it’s raining” I’m assuming most of us on this forum do; a pack of pit bulls we are (and proud of it). But here is my experience from back when I oversaw roughly 25 employees and dealt daily with customers: different people respond to different tones. There were several employees who I could give it to them straight and be done with it (same with customers). However, there were other employees that, in order to get through to them, I had to change my tone. Doesn’t mean that they were weaker or ‘worse’ than my tough little cookie employees, but they just responded better to a different approach. I am actually very thankful that there are softies in this world (lord knows that if everyone was like me it would not be a cuddly world at all).
Another way of looking at it: when I worked with dogs, I can’t tell you how many times folks would come in and try to instantly dominate a dog; show him who’s boss! I would have to tell them that they could get just as much respect and response from the dog by simply being assertive, calm and confident. You don’t have to raise your voice and yank the dog (or worse) to get control of the situation (and trust me, I worked with the worst of the worst when it came to dogs: Michael Vick’s pitt bulls anyone?).
Yes, people need to hear it like it is—I completely agree and love the initial post by MJ. And sometimes that will come across as straight and to the point (like a dagger) and sometimes it might need a different approach (a calm, assertive, non-sarcastic/ball busting tone).

To each their own…

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Amazing article. It really hit home for me.

Providing value isn't easy. Providing massive value is less easy.

^eagle^

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Mar 17, 2008
Florida
This article is like the ultimate fastlane article, homerun!

The thing I love most about this world is, that the world doesn't care about you.

Most people struggle with that fact, because that's the natural emotion that makes them feel bad "Why happens this to me, I am such a nice person?" "Why is he driving a lambo and is successful even though he's so rude?"

If you get around the fact that everything is only about "What's in it for me" you can actually be free IF you learn to handle your emotions and just get people what they want.

Love it.

View attachment 4339
What I like about this article is that it tells you to get off your a$$ and do something. F*ck the idea that the world does not give a shit about who you are. some people do give a shit about who you are (brown nosers) others truly don't. ( doers)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.