• Discuss Entrepreneurship | Start-Ups | Starting a Business | Wealth | Money | Success | Investing
  1. Escape the Grind. Resurrect The Dream. Live Happily Ever After.

Become an UNSCRIPTED™Entrepreneur.

Don’t just build a business—build a life and a legacy. UNSCRIPTED™ Entrepreneurship is a specific subset of business creation that awakens dreams, frees time, and explodes incomes—but more importantly, it changes lives.

Make no mistake; this isn’t something you “try”— this is something you live.
    KICKSTART YOUR PERSONAL REVOLUTION TODAY.
    Get The Book(s) Download More Info Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Change Yourself.
Change Your Life.
Change The World.

Join now and within minutes, you can start getting advice from real millionaire entrepreneurs who live the dream.

Notable! 6 Harsh Truths that Will Make you a Better Person

Discussion in 'Mindset, Motivation, Choices' started by MJ DeMarco, Dec 17, 2012.

1. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR FASTLANE INSIDER Read The Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $208,100
    Admin Post
    Who would have thought that such Fastlane GOLD would come from a comedy website?

GOLD Jerry! GOLD!

The central thesis is this: The world doesn't give a shit how important YOU think you are.

Full story...

6 Harsh Truths That Will Make You a Better Person | Cracked.com

Thanks to RealOG for the FB post.

Tedd, Insaint, beatgoezon and 31 others like this.
  2. Anthony_44

Anthony_44 New Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $30
    Wow, that is great because it is spot on! Wisdom in humor

3. vtlambo

vtlambo Bronze Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $135
    There are currently 70 users browsing this thread. (7 members and 63 guests).

Lol, damn.

4. ^eagle^

^eagle^ Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $95
    I get the part about adding value. I don't get where being a douchebag comes in. Maybe its being a team player vs. being an individual athlete like a tennis player. Just trying to wrap my head around it.

5. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR FASTLANE INSIDER Read The Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $208,100
    Admin Post
    Perhaps you are offended by the tone because you are threatened by the truth it holds.

I find the "douchebag" tone entirely refreshing, perhaps because I'm entirely secure in my value.

I'd imagine those offended by it's tone are finding it as a reflection of their own personal insecurities.

3 people like this.
  6. ^eagle^

Rep Bank:
    $95
    No I am open to criticism. thats not it at all. I think it's more because of My belief in "the Golden rule" I personally want open and constructive feedback. and even a occasional dose of reality. But Baldwins asshole speech I found totally demotivatiing. Not because of the truths but because of the Golden rule. If you wanted to be treated that way I can see how that would motivate you. I just don't think everyone wants to be treated that way. And they could still perform just as well.

As a manager one of the things we had to learn was when o be a hard ass and when to be supportive. I got very good at it but couldn't take the shit rolls downhill people.

Also I believe that those motivated by harsh criticism tend to want more things and are more driven to make tens of millions of dollars or more. Those such as myself arent motivated to grow a multinational company. I just want a few million in the bank so I can retire and fish. I think it's more of whether :
    A.you're a team player or an individual player
    B. Your Goal in life. that is whether you want billions or just enough to be comfortable and your kids comfortable when you pass.

I personally believe that those seeking more than a few million and have mansions with 15 bathrooms aren't right in the head. But that's just my opinion. To each his own.

7. ^eagle^

Rep Bank:
    $95
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/14/opinion/why-i-am-leaving-goldman-sachs.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

I can totally identify with this guy here. I saw who moves up in corporate culture i was in. Those willing to screw the customer out of the most money possible and follow the butt kissing chain. all the while disconnecting from the customer. Sure one might make millions and possibly billions but he will still be an ass who no one truly respects.

But I can see why this is the prevalent form of motivation. Because most people are driven by fear and greed rather than logic or reason. I find myself butting heads with that. Thats why i never was successful in corporate culture.

I'm sure some of the people here will take the above article as a warning. Others will probably see it as a blueprint though. Those In my opinion are the one's who aren't right in the head.

8. mohawkdcg

mohawkdcg Bronze Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $125
    Thanks for posting this well written, high impact article. The symbolism of showing up with a knife to a scene with the GSW victim and being able to help or not, really makes the point. It's like having your face planted in a snow bank for its wake up quality.

It's not the point of the article but in a practical sense, everyone should learn CPR and first aid. This is something you can 'do' to make yourself more useful. I was at a friends house one time with my 5 year old son and someone told me my son was bleeding in the other room. He was lying on his back without moving and a pool of blood was forming on the white shag carpet and seemed to be coming from his eyes that were full of blood as well.

Out of about 20 people there, I was the only one that new first aid. Everyone else was just standing around. My training kicked in and I found the source was a deep gash in his forehead right between the eyes. This area bleeds fast. So I applied pressure to stop the bleeding and held it until more than 7 minutes passed to allow clotting. Then cleaned him up and applied a bandage.

The point is, out of 20 people, no one else knew what to do and he could have bled to death by the time an ambulance got there.

Turns out he had fallen on his toy matchbox 57 T-bird car and the tail fin cut him. He was frightened by the blood and reacted by freezing in place. A freak accident for sure but people not bothering to learn first aid is not an accident.

9. dknise

dknise Gold Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,096
    ^eagle^... I'm facepalming right now. I know you want just a few million like it's no big deal, and you think the world should just be puppies and kittens and everyone should hand over their money freely in an exchange of millionaire making, but that's not reality. You may consider people like myself to be "not right in the head," but we embrace capitalism.

The article was hard truths. They're true. If you can't stand the heat, don't stand near the fire.

:smilielol:

ZF Lee and ^eagle^ like this.
  10. Milkanic

Milkanic Silver Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Read The Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $4,100
    Fuck, this means I have to work out and work on my website tonight. Great article.

^eagle^ and (deleted member) like this.
  11. ^eagle^

Rep Bank:
    $95
    You are over generalizing. I never said the world was puppies and kittens. Straw man argument I keep hearing about. I get accused of that all the time but when I call someone else on it it's met with silence.

I know I think differently than most and yes, A few million is as much or as little as one perceives it. I took my share of knocks on my journey and I have posted my mistakes here for others as a warning. I see very few people posts their mistakes and failures. makes me wonder who is more ego centric. Plenty of ego to post their successes but no balls to post their failures. I know I am not as egocentric as others. And have learned some valuable lessons this year that will further me in the coming year. And I post my goofs and mistakes as a warning. Not as a cry for pity as one may think.

My point is how is being an over consuming douchebag make me a better person? The rest i agree with.

12. ^eagle^

Rep Bank:
    $95
  13. InMotion

InMotion Silver Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $560
    I agree with most of what is in the article except the title... don't see how it will make you a better person although it will make you more money.

14. MJ DeMarco

Rep Bank:
    $208,100
    Admin Post
    rottenecard_4648153_wvsznm59nv.jpg

askhole-meme.jpg

My+Opinion+Askhole.JPG

197.jpg

12 people like this.
  15. InMotion

InMotion Silver Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $560
    Who is that for I wonder?

16. MJ DeMarco

Rep Bank:
    $208,100
    Admin Post
    No one in particular. This thread/article reminds me of the term "askhole".

2 people like this.
  17. Raindog

Raindog New Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $36
  18. Rickson9

Rickson9 Gold Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,038
    This thread is awesome! Thanks for sharing!

19. JoeBloggs

JoeBloggs New Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $57
    Absolutely amazing article. Thank you for posting it.

20. nzerinto

nzerinto Bronze Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,194
    Awesome article, that's going up on my "inspiration wall".... Thanks MJ

21. theDarkness

theDarkness Bronze Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $212
    David Wong is brilliant, and that Glengary scene is solid GOLD. I have posted it here a few times here before. One of my favorite things. The combo of Glengary + Wong meant this article was fated for greatness.

This is the money shot:

22. theDarkness

theDarkness Bronze Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $212
    I don't get where you're getting the thing about being a douchebag.

If you're talking about the Glengarry clip, you have to remember that this is in the Mamet style, and part of the genius of it is that it is so outrageous at the same time as it nails a core truth inside us . . . no one is suggesting that you actually start saying things like "Nice father? I don't give a shit." That's where you get to just enjoy Alec Baldwin being Alec Baldwin.

For me the bit where he feigns tossing back a beer always drives home the point. "Yeah, I was a car salesman. It's a tough racket."

1 person likes this.
  23. ^eagle^

Rep Bank:
    $95
    True I understand that.But I would have gone home and played with my kids rather than listen to that Bullshit. Then I would have started my OWN car lot. I'm done with abusive bosses. Thats the whole reason I'm here!

Now hearing a customer bitch is a whole nother situation.

Thats the problem I have with this. The article implies that I have to put up with abusive partners, bosses, peers etc. Fuck that! I'll start my own business and fire the assholes myself! Unless they know how to treat a customer. Then I can put up with a little assholeness. One who makes money vs. one who rips off customers heads that is.

Just sayin'

The rest I agree with. In the meantime.....
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=477650185634392&set=a.268489309883815.67691.268330443233035&type=1&theater

24. TK1

TK1 Silver Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $749
    This article is like the ultimate fastlane article, homerun!

The thing I love most about this world is, that the world doesn't care about you.

Most people struggle with that fact, because that's the natural emotion that makes them feel bad "Why happens this to me, I am such a nice person?" "Why is he driving a lambo and is successful even though he's so rude?"

If you get around the fact that everything is only about "What's in it for me" you can actually be free IF you learn to handle your emotions and just get people what they want.

Love it.

ami.jpg