The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

18y/o as of Yesterday, Time to get a move on!

man9er9er

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Feb 1, 2019
Hi everyone,

My name is Thomas, and I wanna start off by saying I have never used forums of any kind, The format is unfamiliar, I apologize for formatting errors if there are any.

My 18th was yesterday, I am a high school student with an eye towards college.

Background
I come from a ONCE wealthy, East Coast, Wall Street family.

As the market collapsed in 08' I watched my family collapse, as a kid. We moved from a big house in a wealthy area, to the suburbs, to my grandparents when we lost our home, and finally back to, what most of America would consider, a normal home. My dad decided to leave Wall Street and join a startup, where I watched him work tirelessly to make half of what he made in his late 20's.

That's essentially it wrapped up in a nutshell, excluding when my mother left my father just after all this. Stress does funny things to people, I suppose...

I don't wanna write a sob story but I feel it had to be touched on

Today
I'm tired of everything and ready to make a name for myself. I just became an "adult", legally, and I'm eager to get a move on!

I searched, "Things you have to do when you turn 18" and somehow I landed here. After reading some posts, I love everything this site stands for!

Plans
I plan on going to college and participating in ROTC in combination with an International Affair Degree, or a possible shift to an International Business Major.

I feel that the cost cut provided by ROTC, combine with the possible connections, international placements, and qualifications makes college viable for me. I know many people here dislike it because of debt, but ROTC might make it essentially free, or a very low loan. I'd love your opinions on this!

I'm a relatively strong student. But where I excel is Business. I have taken every Business class offered by my school and won various awards/competitions in my school. One such is The Shark Tank Project where I had to develop a product and compete at the class level, then the school level, and then in the final presentation where the Super Intendant of our schools was a shark along with a local successful businessman and the principle.

Currently, I'm focused on the class known as "Virtual Enterprise". I highly recommend looking into "Virtual Enterprise" if you have never heard of it, as I will not sit here describe it in its entirety. Basically, high schoolers create a product/service in their class. They split into branches: HR, Marketing, Design, Accounting, admin, etc. and they compete locally then nationally against other Firms.

I'm outgoing and would drop college plans with the rise of an opportunity that I believe in, right now I have no product or service to push. So I guess college it is for me!

If you have any tips/suggestions for me. I'd love to hear them!

I look forward to meeting all of you,

Thomas

@MJ DeMarco

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

NMdad

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Aug 6, 2017
New Mexico
Happy belated bday!

What lessons can you take from your family's transitions after the market collapse?

From those lessons, what do you think you should or shouldn't do?

NMdad

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Aug 6, 2017
New Mexico
That's cool you're getting exposed to business concepts. Now that you're officially an adult, you can get your feet wet & start a non-theoretical business. By that, I mean: offer a product or service & get paid real money for it.

The lessons you'll learn from trying stuff out in the real-world are invaluable.

So who do you want to help and how?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Welcome to the forum, appreciate the intro. Nothing wrong with going to college, assuming it doesn't cost you a fortune.

How does your family loose it all in 2008? Was it high leverage? Not hedged to the downside?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

man9er9er

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Feb 1, 2019
That's cool you're getting exposed to business concepts. Now that you're officially an adult, you can get your feet wet & start a non-theoretical business. By that, I mean: offer a product or service & get paid real money for it.

The lessons you'll learn from trying stuff out in the real-world are invaluable.

So who do you want to help and how?
Yea perhaps the Reason I don't have an answer to those questions is lack of life experience. I guess, through time I'll see an area that needs a product/service and ill be able to fill that!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...