The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

16 Years old, and need business ideas.

Jobei

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Jan 6, 2022
I'm 16 I know how to code (1 year), and do video editing(1 year). I've read all of MJ's books multiple times and I'm ready to start a business. Web design seems really intriguing to me but I want to know other possibilities. So please let me know if you can help. Thank you for anyone who responds and I appreciate it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ooooskar

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
Dec 9, 2021
You may want to look into the local law for your corporate code. If you are trying to form a business it may be important to do the work you are planning to do through and LLC so you are not personally liable. Since you are a minor you may not be able to form the corporation.

Jobei

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Jan 6, 2022
You may want to look into the local law for your corporate code. If you are trying to form a business it may be important to do the work you are planning to do through and LLC so you are not personally liable. Since you are a minor you may not be able to form the corporation.
Ik that you need to be 18 to form an llc so maybe do it under someone ik's name?

ooooskar

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
Dec 9, 2021
Ik that you need to be 18 to form an llc so maybe do it under someone ik's name?
You run into the issue of them owning the assets that you produce. I say you are at the stage where you could build your skills to a higher degree. If I was 16 again I would take up coding as well as the skills you are currently engaged in.

A digital product such as SaaS is something that is detached from your time. Just be careful there are plenty of folks who are most likely trying for the same market share with more time and skill than you. At 16, while your life is still supported by family is perfect time to gain skills while you are still financially supported.

Jobei

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Jan 6, 2022

Jobei

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Jan 6, 2022
You run into the issue of them owning the assets that you produce. I say you are at the stage where you could build your skills to a higher degree. If I was 16 again I would take up coding as well as the skills you are currently engaged in.

A digital product such as SaaS is something that is detached from your time. Just be careful there are plenty of folks who are most likely trying for the same market share with more time and skill than you. At 16, while your life is still supported by family is perfect time to gain skills while you are still financially supported.
Ok I appreciate it and will take it into account

Jobless

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jun 8, 2017
EU
Learn two slightly related skills well enough that you can combine them in rare ways, to solve problems for people.

Examples:

Web design + Video editing = An online community for video editors
Coding + Video Editing = A video editing app
Video editing + Culinary skill = Food video promotions

etc.

Jobei

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Jan 6, 2022
Learn two slightly related skills well enough that you can combine them in rare ways, to solve problems for people.

Examples:

Web design + Video editing = An online community for video editors
Coding + Video Editing = A video editing app
Video editing + Culinary skill = Food video promotions

etc.
Thank you thank you

D

DeletedUser84644

I'm 16 I know how to code (1 year), and do video editing(1 year). I've read all of MJ's books multiple times and I'm ready to start a business. Web design seems really intriguing to me but I want to know other possibilities. So please let me know if you can help. Thank you for anyone who responds and I appreciate it.
You don't find ideas; you emulate them instead. I.e Look at what already exists in the market and see how you can improve on what's being offered to it by being better, faster, cheaper, a different spin put on it, etc. But tbh at this stage in your life you are too young to legally engage in any official business capacity-thus making your options very limited. My advice would be to just learn the F*ck out of as much of everything as you can and save up as much money as possible (Try not to spend no more than 10-20% of what you make). You will unfortunately have to wait until you turn 18 before you can do anything Fastlane worthy. And also check out my thread: MINDSET - Are you dying in misery on how to figure out how to get started? Then please! Do save yourself from that soul crushing agony with this thread!

Jobei

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Jan 6, 2022
You don't find ideas; you emulate them instead. I.e Look at what already exists in the market and see how you can improve on what's being offered to it by being better, faster, cheaper, a different spin put on it, etc. But tbh at this stage in your life you are too young to legally engage in any official business capacity-thus making your options very limited. My advice would be to just learn the f*ck out of as much of everything as you can and save up as much money as possible (Try not to spend no more than 10-20% of what you make). You will unfortunately have to wait until you turn 18 before you can do anything Fastlane worthy. And also check out my thread: MINDSET - Are you dying in misery on how to figure out how to get started? Then please! Do save yourself from that soul crushing agony with this thread!
Ok will do this

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Two great skills to have.

Web design, video editing, SEO, ads, copywriting - they are all just tools to solve problems.

Any of them could be a very profitable business with the right approach.

So the best way to get started is to just get out there and find businesses that have problems you can help solve. Once you work with one business you can see what went well and then adjust and improve and go again.

You don't need anything more to get going - just start helping people to solve real problems.
(and you already have two good skills to do so, you can learn more as needed once you get going)

Jobei

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Jan 6, 2022
Two great skills to have.

Web design, video editing, SEO, ads, copywriting - they are all just tools to solve problems.

Any of them could be a very profitable business with the right approach.

So the best way to get started is to just get out there and find businesses that have problems you can help solve. Once you work with one business you can see what went well and then adjust and improve and go again.

You don't need anything more to get going - just start helping people to solve real problems.
(and you already have two good skills to do so, you can learn more as needed once you get going)
Thank you!

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
You don't need a corporation, you can just offer a service and get paid for it like every teenager and kid in history who has started anything. Once you get something going, you can worry about incorporation and other details.

Jobei

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Jan 6, 2022
You don't need a corporation, you can just offer a service and get paid for it like every teenager and kid in history who has started anything. Once you get something going, you can worry about incorporation and other details.
Thank you!

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
631%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
You should absolutely build up your web design and coding skills by building them for other businesses. You will learn how to whip up awesome websites and test your other ideas very quickly. I have built probably 10+ websites just for personal ideas I wanted to test. I learned how to do it by doing it for businesses when I was a bit younger. Now I can make things that look like it was a big budget.

You'll want to have some coding skills so you can build things that DO interesting stuff instead of just a pretty looking basic website.

Don't worry at all about having a corporation. You can do ALMOST whatever the F*ck you want as a kid, even though you think you can't. That's just what they want you to think. Just start getting customers and collecting money. Figure it out as you go along. The younger you are and the larger the business you build, the funnier the story becomes when you're older.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...