The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

10+ Years IT Contracting at €300-900/day (Learnings)

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Bump for those updating their CVs.

sojeer

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 10, 2018
I think they should look different. If an employer is looking for a permanent employee then they’ll prefer to see previous permanent employment. If they’re looking for a contractor for a specific project then lots of contract work implementing that will look more attractive. So it’s a case of highlighting different things on your CV depending on what role your going for.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on that, I will keep that in mind. In my case, currently I'm not so experienced so I've kinda mix these positions and not indicate which one is permanent or contract. Not sure if it is a good approach

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on that, I will keep that in mind. In my case, currently I'm not so experienced so I've kinda mix these positions and not indicate which one is permanent or contract. Not sure if it is a good approach
Put down all your experience so it can be read in one go. Then note where you worked and when I’m a separate section, with brief notes about responsibilities and achievements. Did you get a chance to watch the video of my CV?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

sojeer

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 10, 2018
Put down all your experience so it can be read in one go. Then note where you worked and when I’m a separate section, with brief notes about responsibilities and achievements. Did you get a chance to watch the video of my CV?
yes, I watched it and already have some ideas on how I can change it. Many thanks :)

Just only thinking if should I keep it as a one-pager or maybe extend it and include portfolio as well (I'm in UI/UX field), as for now I only redirect to my website through the CV.
I know that you had a lot of pages down there ;)

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
As a seasoned PO on different projects, I would say from my experience that these rules apply in general. Even if you have vast experience and knowledge in certain field. It is always a good sign to admit one does not understand something but is willing to find out.
Yeah. They want to hire people who say they don’t know but that they’ll find out or know someone who does.

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
Glad it's helping. It should help you be more "you" focused with your resume, and how to do better interviews. At all stages ask yourself what they're looking for and how to give it to them.
Had an interview today. The first portion was about describing each part of my career track and then it was tech-related questions.

I, unfortunately, wasn't able to answer some because I have never used the technology. This is what I hate about Corporate America. They say experience is king, and while it may be true, not all organizations give you the chance to get this experience because they silo you into a position that does nothing, but repetitive tasks. Learning comes to a screeching halt.

I used to want to be a cert king taker, but one lesson I have learned from an individual in an MSP back in the day was that the certificates you get or learn will not relate to the job and you will forget about all of the knowledge.

So while learning and skill enhancement may be encouraged, in most cases, it doesn't happen because what you learn in the certificate is not practiced within the job.

I do not want to be siloed into a role with repetitive tasks, I want to learn as much as I can and experience as much as I can.

Since I learned for 3.5 years in my previous role, since I only learned nothing but this proprietary product, I haven't used much of any knowledge I had in my early years and now it is causing me to be skipped.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I was a I.T. freelancer for 20+ years and made decent money £20K per month but the downside I was always on the road. It was long hours as clients paying you £650+ per day wanted a return and quite right. I got into freelancing as I was broke! it was simple as that. I learned new skills and kept ahead of the curve offering 110% value to my clients.
Do I miss those days no I do not as it did not scale as I could not clone myself plus operatings costs soared which crippled my net profit. I now have businesses that operate 24x7 and do the thing I like to do. Please do not be put off by freelancing I just hit a income wall and realised there must be more efficient ways to make money rather than trading time for money.
Exactly what I learned. I wasn't on the road but on client sites for months or years, and at a slightly lower rate. I don't miss those days, and I still enjoy having consulting clients that I work-from-home for. Having those consulting clients helps me see where I can build products/services that can scale without so much of my time.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I wrote a book on my freelance journey it sells on Amazon it's only £1.90 gives some good advice for newbies.

If you can remember the publication Freelance Informer you were in the great era of contracting!!!!!!!!
Dude! Are you selling that to all the IT folks out there who think about contracting but aren't?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.