The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

This awesome "life hack" is also the easiest to use.

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Three years ago, after 25 years, I traded Arizona's sun for Utah's mountains, upgrading my home from a plentiful 4,400 square feet to a sprawling 13,000. The game-changer? There were several, from an indoor basketball court to a home theater to the most important of all: a home gym.

collage-home.png

At last, I could exercise in peace!

There were no more teenagers glued to their smartphones while "working out," no more meatheads glaring at me for using the leg press, and no more scantily clad fitness influencers parading around like they were on a modeling runway.

Finally, it was just me, my workout, and the freedom to exercise shirtless without an audience. I could also blast my music as loud as I wanted.

As you can expect, my workouts became more consistent. I no longer had to commute to a gym, so working out was as simple as walking downstairs. It was the first time I had not had a gym membership in 30 years.

But something interesting happened.

While my frequency of workouts increased, the intensity and duration suffered.

It was easier to quit, to cut a workout short, or just wander next door into the theater.

Yes, I still made gains, but I hit a plateau pretty quick.

Then, a twist: a new gym opened just 12 minutes away in an area that desperately needed one. While I had no interest in rejoining the crowds of teenagers and camera-ready fitness YouTubers, this gym boasted a lap pool (mine is off-limits for nine months a year) and a dry sauna (it eclipsed my home's infrared sauna, which is capped at 150 degrees).

Boom!

Those two features— a blazing hot sauna and a year-round pool—turned me from a skeptic into a buyer on the spot.

Quick refresher: Any feature or benefit that flips a switch for potential buyers, transforming curiosity into commitment, is a value skew. And the more value skews you present to potential customers, the more buyers you get.

What skew can you add to your business to attract more buyers?

While this newsletter isn't about value skew (keep reading) it is worth repeating—more value skew = more buyers.

Here is a sample list of value skews you can leverage in your business. Remember, the more "value skews" you put into the competition, the more runners you can get to cross the value threshold. (This concept is not discussed in my first two books, but in my 3rd book, The Great Rat Race Escape )

• Better marketing
  • Better user experience
  • Better pricing
  • Better ingredients
  • Better packaging
  • Better customer service
  • Better features
  • Better convenience
  • Better ordering options
  • Better shipping options
  • Better color combos
  • Better amenities (spa, pool!)
TheValueSkew.png
Anyhow, back to my gym story...

After joining my new gym, I went every day, even to stretch or jump rope.

Then, something amazing happened—my workout intensity and duration went from 5s and 6s to 9s and 10s.

I got over my plateau and leveled up, becoming stronger and fitter.

Why?

I altered my environment.

While I wouldn't say I like crowds, being surrounded by highly fit people, both men and women, elevated my intensity and motivated me.

What if your desk was next to your favorite entrepreneur or business mogul? What if I sat next to you?

Wouldn't you do better work? And have better productivity?

This is the ultimate life hack for transformative change: Shift your environment.

If you ever watched "My 600lb Life," where morbidly obese people try to lose weight and fail, you'll notice one commonality: They fail to change their environment.

After consulting with Dr. Now, people return home to a dietary shitshow enabled by family members. You cannot lose weight when your dinner options are donuts, pancakes, and buckets of fried chicken.

In other words, don't expect to cure your alcoholism while owning a tavern.

So, if you're feeling stuck and your motivation is gone, overhaul your environment!

My leap from Chicago to Arizona, selling a company not once but twice and stepping back into a gym after two years away testify to this principle's power.

But don't think you must upend your life with a cross-country move.

It's the more minor shifts that can pack the biggest punch. Try reorganizing your desk, changing your work location, or simply tidying up. Whenever I write, I clean up my workspace; a cleaner workspace = cleaner writing.

Consider switching jobs or even roles within your current job. Maybe it's time to embrace significant personal changes, like starting or ending a relationship.

Change a living situation.

It could be as simple as biking to work, writing by the sea, or swapping the gym for home workouts. Yes, you might do better working out in solitude versus a crowded gym.

YouTuber Casey Niestat's goal of running a marathon in under three hours, chronicled in a compelling video, vividly illustrates this principle. Despite the video's main message of perseverance and incremental progress, a crucial turning point came through an environmental shift.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IiTdSnmS7E

After years of stagnation, Casey broke his plateau by teaming up with an Olympic marathon runner. Transitioning from solo training to mentorship transformed his performance.

Check out the video—it's an inspiring watch.

So, what's the takeaway?

Manipulate your environment to fuel your success—it is one of the simplest and most potent life hacks you can use.

• How can you alter your surroundings to accelerate your growth?
  • What aspects of your environment are holding you back?
  • What can you modify, shift, or remove?
  • What's stopping you from these changes?
  • What's the best environment and worse?

Know thyself— then change your environment and change your life.

~ MJ

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
You become a product of the enviroment you are in. True also with the people you are around which then gets translated to your worth is equal or near that of the 5 closest people to you.

Proximity to things matters so much. Even in terms of focus, mood, etc. If you've been in a bad mental state working in your home office, your mind is now anchored those two things together.

The only big challenge is when you start to believe changing your environment isn't possible.

I hear from people at times, I don't have anywhere else to go. That's simply not true unless you are non-ambulatory. You just aren't being creative or bold enough to think of new options.

Great points MJ.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
I love Casey Neistat, and that was a wonderful video.

Similarly to how he hired the olympic coach, I felt stuck in a rut on a big project I'm working on, and after a day of minimal progress, and feeling the self-doubt creeping in on whether or not I had what it takes to see this project to completion, I hired someone this morning who's successfully done this thing themselves to help coach me through it.

Just needed a fresh perspective after hitting a wall with my own brainstorming/planning.

KJFast

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Dec 8, 2023
Last June/July I took the proactive decision to move into my dad’s house. The main reason for this was I felt it would be more conductive to my self improvement/development.

I was right. We work out, go to events (that I’d say are healing) and aim to eat healthier and better.

My freedom here is also apparent. I don’t have to pay rent and my dad is fully supportive of my entrepreneurial goals, whereas my mum was neglecting and cautious of my entrepreneurial goals.

Super valuable post MJ, environment changes everything! The people you surround yourself with, vibe of the place you live and even how tidy your room is!

One tip for people is, go somewhere alone (call it a holiday if you like) where you are there for a month or so outside your normal life and completely focus on that project you wanted to work on. Friends call you up and say “wanna come out and drink” -> “I’m in X country/city”. (I found this in a very old iman gadzhi video, thought it was a good tip.)

Bless up guys, keep moving forwards in your life.

circleme

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Jan 17, 2023
What if I sat next to you?
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4eMhddTPg4

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Thanks for your post, MJ. Liked it a lot and it's true for me as well. I've read a similar approach in the book Atomic Habits.

The issue I face is that it is most of the time way more convenient to just stick to your environment (your home gym in your example, my home office in my case) instead of going to places where like-minded people reside. I know it's an excuse, but in some niches, finding those people can seem quite difficult. Especially if they live in monk-mode within their rooms as well. (e.g., solo SaaS founders).

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Great post MJ.

I've been on LinkedIn quite a bit recently, trying to figure it out (again!).

I've been actively unfollowing anyone posting content I find annoying (typically the "here's how you need to post your content on LinkedIn" influencer types).

I've been actively engaging with people doing interesting stuff and writing in a way I like, to encourage the algorithm to show me more of their stuff.

My LinkedIn feed (and inbox) is much better now, as I've surrounded myself with people actually doing stuff rather than just posting about how to do stuff.

It's a simple way to surround yourself with people who will inspire and motivate you, and cut out those that don't.

Panos Daras

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Oct 10, 2022
Manipulate your environment to fuel your success—it is one of the simplest and most potent life hacks you can use.
I 100% agree. This has worked for me in everything I have achieved.
It is also backed up by scientific research.

To paraphrase:
  • The person who designs their environment is the person who designs their life.
  • We can be the architect of our success or the architect of our own demise.
  • Choosing not to change anything in our environment is also a choice.

Thanks for the post @MJ DeMarco!

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
This is the ultimate life hack for transformative change: Shift your environment.

Love it, great advice. 100% true.

It can mean something so simple and easy as signing up for an app like Strava to get motivated to do endurance sports!

Or something as big and important as moving countries to better your life.

Or something in the middle, signing up for a forum to debate business concepts, lessons, helping others and getting help in return.

Being surrounded by other entrepreneurs will make you a better entrepreneur. It's just a fact, I don't make the rules.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
easy as signing up for an app like Strava to get motivated

My wife got a Whoop which is another biometric health tracker.

I already have an Oura ring and have no complaints, and certainly wasn't looking for another device to monitor my HRV, sleep, and other biometrics.

However when she showed me the app, and it ranked you in comparison to others in your age group (a quasi-competition) I immediately bought one. This was a value skew that compelled me to buy. It also allowed me to manipulate my environment and see how I'm doing around other people my age.

My Oura does not do that.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.