The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Why what car you drive matters

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
Ok, this is an interesting topic that I'd like to share with you fellas, and would love to get your thoughts(or personal experiences) with this.

Here's a video of Brad Lea who discusses a matter from Warren Buffet, who said that what you drive doesn't matter.

Warren Buffet does have a point though. He's known worldwide as the "investing god/god of compound interest" and is worth like $80 billion dollars so it's sort of irrelevant for him at 90 years old. But for us who are below his level or are grinding to become very successful, what you drive will matter(it does great things to your confidence too). Especially if you're a business consultant or a real estate agent and you attend physical meetings frequently, then it matters even more.

Look at it from your perspective. You're selling a house, and two real estate agents pull up who are equally skilled and have equal intelligence in their craft. One pulls up in a beat up dirty Opel Astra while the other guy pulls up in a sexy red Ferrari 488 GTB. And you're the decision maker. Who are you going to pick to do business with? And who would most people pick? I'll pick the Ferrari guy over the former all day, and 9/10 people will probably do the same.

Why?
The Ferrari sends a signal to our brain(consciously or subconsciously) that THAT GUY knows what he's doing, and is probably very successful at his craft so he's more qualified. It shows credibility, status, and success all together. And that car sends a message that success is possible for you too(especially if you're a car guy). Many young kids or guys get crazy when they see one in person. If you've ever driven one or own one, then you know exactly what I'm talking about. There ain't nothing better than waking up and seeing a car like that in your garage.

Don't believe me? Watch these experiments by YouTube pranksters who pick up girls in supercars. They never get rejected by these random girls. You may call them gold diggers or what have you but most people would have done the same thing.

Ultimately a car SHOULD never define who you are, it's just icing on the cake after years of hard work. WHO you are as a person and WHAT you think of yourself is the most important thing, what anybody else thinks of you shouldn't F*cking matter to you. And if a badass automobile will help you with increasing your success, then go for it. Just make sure you can afford it :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
One pulls up in a beat up dirty Opel Astra while the other guy pulls up in a sexy red Ferrari 488 GTB. And you're the decision maker. Who are you going to pick to do business with? And who would most people pick? I'll pick the Ferrari guy over the former all day, and 9/10 people will probably do the same.

I'd pick the Opel Astra guy because I'd assume the Ferrari guy would overcharge me to keep paying off a car he can't afford.

This, plus I automatically assume that people in fast or expensive cars need to prove something to others and I generally distrust them.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I'd pick the Opel Astra guy because I'd assume the Ferrari guy would overcharge me to keep paying off a car he can't afford.

This, plus I automatically assume that people in fast or expensive cars need to prove something to others and I generally distrust them.
This. Except I wouldn’t pick someone in a dirty car (unless it’s a jeep and/or fresh dirt).

I agree that what you drive and wear makes a difference. In the UK, Ireland, and maybe the rest of Europe you’d likely not be judged favourably showing up in something that stands out too much. Read into that what you will.

Personally, I like my car and phone and take a certain glee if someone judges me unfavourably by my (clean) 2006 Toyota Corolla or iPhone 5SE.

hexelbyte

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
May 31, 2021
Houston, TX
In an era where people play lego with their bodies and Barbie with their lives, hard to say if people that have exotic cars actually own them.

Attention seeking has increased while attention span decreased.

I get what you are saying, the major of people, when asked "What is wealth?" Would say exotic cars, mansions, expensive apparel. So, if your goal is to appeal to the masses, you know what to do.

It's rare to see people that drive exotic cars, actually own them. Most are looking for attention, for a monthly fee.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
I agree that what you drive and wear makes a difference. In the UK, Ireland, and maybe the rest of Europe you’d likely not be judged favourably showing up in something that stands out too much. Read into that what you will.

Yeah the flashy cars may be more of an American thing. I mean, you can obviously see expensive cars in Europe, too, but few people would do more business with a guy in an expensive car, particularly in a corporate environment.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Yeah the flashy cars may be more of an American thing. I mean, you can obviously see expensive cars in Europe, too, but few people would do more business with a guy in an expensive car, particularly in a corporate environment.
Depends what type of expensive car. A dark coloured top end Range Rover, Merc, BMW, Jag, etc. That says “class”.

Turn up in an expensive sports car and it *could be* akin to a youngster turning up with loud exhaust and spoilers.

Yes, what you drive matters. It depends if you’re trying to impress someone and what impresses them.

Know your audience/market.

Mathuin

Provide Relative-Value or Die Trying
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Dec 20, 2020
Belfast, Northern Ireland
Look at it from your perspective. You're selling a house, and two real estate agents pull up who are equally skilled and have equal intelligence in their craft. One pulls up in a beat up dirty Opel Astra while the other guy pulls up in a sexy red Ferrari 488 GTB. And you're the decision maker. Who are you going to pick to do business with? And who would most people pick? I'll pick the Ferrari guy over the former all day, and 9/10 people will probably do the same.
I'd pick the guy in the Ferrari.

Don't believe me? Watch these experiments by YouTube pranksters who pick up girls in supercars. They never get rejected by these random girls. You may call them gold diggers or what have you but most people would have done the same thing.
Most of these are complete bullshit using actors. But I get your point.

View: https://youtu.be/qGrx_cE4o4A

I'd assume one of the main benefits that comes from owning an expensive car comes from the networking at super car meetups and drives etc.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Everyone tries to buy that lines up with their views on values and status - relevant to how they gauge status.

Warren Buffet likes his car pick because it aligns with his"smart money" mindset and also his background.

You can see how he thinks about similar purchases like a private jet or a yacht...

Screenshot 2022-03-13 at 18.09.50.png

Screenshot 2022-03-13 at 18.09.03.png

Brad Lee on the other hand is going to have a different model of status and a different set of values.
It is likely he is going to drive something much more flashy cause that is what his audience/status is focused on.

"Look at it from your perspective. You're selling a house, and two real estate agents pull up who are equally skilled and have equal intelligence in their craft. One pulls up in a beat up dirty Opel Astra while the other guy pulls up in a sexy red Ferrari 488 GTB. And you're the decision maker. Who are you going to pick to do business with? And who would most people pick? I'll pick the Ferrari guy over the former all day, and 9/10 people will probably do the same."

Well, context matters here - is this house I am selling in Beverly Hills or is it a small 100k house in Ohio?
A lot of people in certain situations would be put off from dealing with someone driving a Ferrari.

"Don't believe me? Watch these experiments by YouTube pranksters who pick up girls in supercars. They never get rejected by these random girls. You may call them gold diggers or what have you but most people would have done the same thing."

A LOT of this stuff is fake ha.

Don't get me wrong - I love supercars.
But context is king for what is going to make the most sense to drive.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
Ok, this is an interesting topic that I'd like to share with you fellas, and would love to get your thoughts(or personal experiences) with this.

Here's a video of Brad Lea who discusses a matter from Warren Buffet, who said that what you drive doesn't matter.

Warren Buffet does have a point though. He's known worldwide as the "investing god/god of compound interest" and is worth like $80 billion dollars so it's sort of irrelevant for him at 90 years old. But for us who are below his level or are grinding to become very successful, what you drive will matter(it does great things to your confidence too). Especially if you're a business consultant or a real estate agent and you attend physical meetings frequently, then it matters even more.

Why?
The Ferrari sends a signal to our brain(consciously or subconsciously) that THAT GUY knows what he's doing, and is probably very successful at his craft so he's more qualified. It shows credibility, status, and success all together. And that car sends a message that success is possible for you too(especially if you're a car guy). Many young kids or guys get crazy when they see one in person. If you've ever driven one or own one, then you know exactly what I'm talking about. There ain't nothing better than waking up and seeing a car like that in your garage.

Ultimately a car SHOULD never define who you are, it's just icing on the cake after years of hard work. WHO you are as a person and WHAT you think of yourself is the most important thing, what anybody else thinks of you shouldn't f*cking matter to you. And if a badass automobile will help you with increasing your success, then go for it. Just make sure you can afford it :)

I disagree.

And let me point out that you stacked your argument. You picked a shit dirty car versus a flash *dream* car for most boys on this forum.

I’ve been around raising money for a long while. Let me tell you:
1. What car you drive matters but a Ferrari will lose you deals. You are a douche bag in the eyes of a real investor. You are frivolous and are a wannabe. Why? Because you are still asking something!!! You buy this car when you’ve got F*ck you money.
2. Clean good car is what sends the right message. If you are a realtor, it’s about space and convenience for your clients! So an SUV would make a lot more sense than a useless Ferrari.

Ironically, I talked to my friend at the dealership for super cars - most are financed! :rofl: if my realtor shows up in a Ferrari, I assume he’s an idiot. Just my 0.02 cents. Do what you will with that.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
I disagree.

And let me point out that you stacked your argument. You picked a shit dirty car versus a flash *dream* car for most boys on this forum.

1. What car you drive matters but a Ferrari will lose you deals. You are a douche bag in the eyes of a real investor. You are frivolous and are a wannabe. Why? Because you are still asking something!!! You buy this car when you’ve got f*ck you money.
2. Clean good car is what sends the right message. If you are a realtor, it’s about space and convenience for your clients! So an SUV would make a lot more sense than a useless Ferrari.

Ironically, I talked to my friend at the dealership for super cars - most are financed! :rofl: if my realtor shows up in a Ferrari, I assume he’s an idiot. Just my 0.02 cents. Do what you will with that.

Exactly.

"Who you going to trust more - a guy in a dirty t-shirt or someone in a $40,000 Tom Ford suit"

There is a middle ground here - viewing this on such extreme ends of the spectrum is not useful.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

There are sooooooooo many more factors.

I watched the video, and the line he said about how you treat your car is true.

It's more important that you take care of the things you have, rather than how fancy those things are. That's what really tells me what kind of person you are.

Last edited by a moderator:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

I didn't watch the video, but taking the question to heart...

I would hire neither.

The Ferrari guy is overcompensating for something, or overcharging. I view this guy as douchy, and highly inappropriate to show up to a client's house in his "trophy", even if he was selling my $5M+ house.

The Dirty Opel Astra also shows a lack of care and attention to details.

Both cases show a person who fails to read the room, almost like a referee in a basketball game.

The best referees go unnoticed. When you notice them, that's when they are failing.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
When a man has enough money, he should have a car fitting for the event.
When I visit a construction site, I d take the Astra. When I take my customer to the construction site, I d take a car showingrespect to him. And when I take him to tohe gulf club on weekend, maybe the Ferrari.

JJnosleep369

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Mar 5, 2022

Why?

Ultimately a car SHOULD never define who you are, it's just icing on the cake after years of hard work. WHO you are as a person and WHAT you think of yourself is the most important thing, what anybody else thinks of you shouldn't f*cking matter to you. And if a badass automobile will help you with increasing your success, then go for it. Just make sure you can afford it :)
I agree with Warren Buffet, as long as your car isn't dirty, and very scratched all over it doesn't really matter. The rich know and recognize each other. But I think that following Crafting a "luxury" car like a BMW, AUDI, or even any classy sedan brand might help get more customers.
Nevertheless playboy cars uh... i don't know

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
There are sooooooooo many more factors.

I watched the video, and the line he said about how you treat your car is true.

It's more important that you take care of the things you have, rather than how fancy those things are. That's what really tells me what kind of person you are.
Yeah, that's right. Everything is in the details. It's just like with cleaning your room. You can tell a lot about a person just by looking at their room.

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
I didn't watch the video, but taking the question to heart...

I would hire neither.

The Ferrari guy is overcompensating for something, or overcharging. I view this guy as douchy, and highly inappropriate to show up to a client's house in his "trophy", even if he was selling my $5M+ house.

The Dirty Opel Astra also shows a lack of care and attention to details.

Both cases show a person who fails to read the room, almost like a referee in a basketball game.

The best referees go unnoticed. When you notice them, that's when they are failing.
Who would you hire then? A guy who pulls up in a bike?

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
I disagree.

1. What car you drive matters but a Ferrari will lose you deals. You are a douche bag in the eyes of a real investor. You are frivolous and are a wannabe. Why? Because you are still asking something!!! You buy this car when you’ve got f*ck you money.

I don't know man. Maybe it just depends on the person.

On one hand, I know a good amount of very wealthy real estate investors who drive fancy cars to their meetings and they make deals regardless of what the "real" investors think of them. They got fu money and drive their Ferraris and Bentleys to all meetings and they seal the deals.

So you're saying that just because someone owns a Ferrari or a Lambo is a wannabe? What if the guy is proud of his achievements and enjoys his life?

That's like saying a hot girl with an amazing body who's been working her a$$ off for her dream body for 5+ years should hide her booty because she shouldn't be labeled as a slut or a bitch by other girls. If she's proud of her achievements then let her do it. People are gonna judge you no matter what. Same thing can be said about the guy who's a real estate agent who pulls up in a Ferrari to meet his clients. If the car increases his confidence and helps him seal the deal, then why not?

Last edited:

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
I'd pick the guy in the Ferrari.

Most of these are complete bullshit using actors. But I get your point.

View: https://youtu.be/qGrx_cE4o4A

I'd assume one of the main benefits that comes from owning an expensive car comes from the networking at super car meetups and drives etc.
That's right. I'm talking about the guys who can actually afford those automobiles, not rent them just to showoff. Some of them are fake, yes. :rofl:

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018

On one hand, I know a good amount of very wealthy real estate investors who drive fancy cars to their meetings and they make deals regardless of what the "real" investors think of them. They got fu money and drive their Ferraris and Bentleys to all meetings and they seal the deals.

So you're saying that just because someone owns a Ferrari or a Lambo is a wannabe? What if the guy is proud of his achievements and enjoys his life?

Dude, if they have fu money, they buy fu cars! By definition, those who are very wealthy and have fu money aren't "grinding" as you put it below. Why are you shifting your original argument?

But for us who are below his level or are grinding to become very successful, what you drive will matter(it does great things to your confidence too). Especially if you're a business consultant or a real estate agent and you attend physical meetings frequently, then it matters even more.

I'll repeat. If you are still grinding as some realtor or "consultant", then I am telling you - keep grinding. A Ferrari won't help you secure sophisticated investors or clients anymore than your shit dirty Opel ;). The focus is all wrong.

Alright, so spill the beans? Did you just buy a super car and having buyers remorse? Is this why this thread exists? :rofl:

Speculatooor

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Jul 11, 2019
Netherlands
It really depends, but overall the message is right. Appearance is a large part of how people judge you, which is important if you are working with clients. The type of car you drive, clothes you wear, level of fitness, haircut, etc. all give signs to the outer world about yourself. People notice those signs and make judgements.

Some people give more weight to certain things than others. I find the trashbag he is wearing a turn-off for example.

The best is when you are at a point where you are not bound by giving off the right impressions to other people and are just able to buy whatever car you like the most. (And I mean 'not bound' financially as well as mentally).

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

You go from somebody making a first impression to some people going to an investor meeting. Those are two very different occasions.

Your argument here does not make sense.

In the real world if somebody is showing up to an investor meeting, it doesn’t matter what kind of car they show up in. Does the fact that they show up in a cheaper car mean that they can’t afford the investment? Will their money be refused?

Last edited:

Guyfieri5

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Jul 13, 2019
Raleigh, North Carolina

Why?

I tend to lean the other way. While owning an expensive sports car is a cool thing and I’d never say anything take that away from someone, I don’t think confidence should come from something external, like a car.

If Opel guy knew what the hell he was doing and showed heart and a strong desire to help me achieve my goals, I’d go with him hands down. I don’t care what anyone drives.

Personally, my wife and I share a 6-year-old SUV. I drive a company vehicle for work that I don’t pay a dime for. I derive my confidence from setting hard goals and achieving them. Confidence is a state of mind your body rewards you with for doing hard things. Don’t fall for the trap so many fall into thinking that confidence can be bought. It can’t. The excitement of buying a new car wears off in 2 weeks, the feeling you get for being a hardcore goal-achieving machine lasts a lifetime.

JJnosleep369

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Mar 5, 2022
I tend to lean the other way. While owning an expensive sports car is a cool thing and I’d never say anything take that away from someone, I don’t think confidence should come from something external, like a car.

If Opel guy knew what the hell he was doing and showed heart and a strong desire to help me achieve my goals, I’d go with him hands down. I don’t care what anyone drives.

Personally, my wife and I share a 6-year-old SUV. I drive a company vehicle for work that I don’t pay a dime for. I derive my confidence from setting hard goals and achieving them. Confidence is a state of mind your body rewards you with for doing hard things. Don’t fall for the trap so many fall into thinking that confidence can be bought. It can’t. The excitement of buying a new car wears off in 2 weeks, the feeling you get for being a hardcore goal-achieving machine lasts a lifetime.
There are many things money can't buy, like trust...

A nice car, a big house etc... it's just a gift, a goal for someone, but before the goal there is a lot of work and that's what really counts

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
Confidence is a state of mind your body rewards you with for doing hard things. Don’t fall for the trap so many fall into thinking that confidence can be bought. It can’t.
This is a very powerful statement and 100% true. Yes, shiny things (like Rolex, cars etc) can make you feel like you’ve gained confidence. But real confidence isn’t that. There is something about people with deep inner confidence that we find attractive. People who show up and have a presence. You see them walk in the room and people just pay attention. You don’t even know why or what car they drive. They just have it. It’s inner confidence that great leaders possess. I wonder if @Kak would want to do an episode on confidence for entrepreneurs.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Who would you hire then? A guy who pulls up in a bike?

Are you being serious or just facetious?

My real estate agent drove an Infiniti sedan... it was practical, modest, and reliable -- it was understated and demonstrated professionalism.

My other real estate agent drove a Chevy Tahoe, again, practical and relevant to his job, and I'm sure he was worth 8-figures as well. He wasn't interested in making a flamboyant statement on the job. In fact, I'd guarantee you anyone looking for a $5M - $10M house would be turned off at some RE agent rolling up in a Ferrari, but yea, it might impress the guy looking for the $350K starter.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Are you being serious or just facetious?

My real estate agent drove an Infiniti sedan... it was practical, modest, and reliable -- it was understated and demonstrated professionalism.

My other real estate agent drove a Chevy Tahoe, again, practical and relevant to his job, and I'm sure he was worth 8-figures as well. He wasn't interested in making a flamboyant statement on the job. In fact, I'd guarantee you anyone looking for a $5M - $10M house would be turned off at some RE agent rolling up in a Ferrari, but yea, it might impress the guy looking for the $350K starter.
The OP doesn't understand that you aren't driving that car for yourself if you are a realtor, you drive it for your clients. The last thing I want to do is ride around for 4 hours in a Ferrari to look at houses LOL. If a realtor pulled up in that, I'd be like, "I'm driving and I'll follow you."

Let's see, my real estate agent's cars. Well, there's the Infiniti. A Cadillac Escalade. A Chevy Trailblazer. An Acura TSX. A Subaru Outback and a Chevy Tahoe. Nope, no Ferraris or sports cars anywhere close.

The problem here is that the OP is making an extreme argument. You either have a dumpy a$$ car or an exotic. What about a Honda Accord vs a Mercedes S600? I bet you aren't choosing because of the car. I bet you will choose the person that interviewed better. If they both interview exactly the same, Who are you picking @Martin Z?

BTW, I sold my McLaren to a real estate agent that was 21 years old. I highly doubt that he drives it to listing appointments, but I will ask him (not sure if he will answer me) and let you know.

Guyfieri5

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Jul 13, 2019
Raleigh, North Carolina
It really depends, but overall the message is right. Appearance is a large part of how people judge you, which is important if you are working with clients. The type of car you drive, clothes you wear, level of fitness, haircut, etc. all give signs to the outer world about yourself. People notice those signs and make judgements.

Some people give more weight to certain things than others. I find the trashbag he is wearing a turn-off for example.

The best is when you are at a point where you are not bound by giving off the right impressions to other people and are just able to buy whatever car you like the most. (And I mean 'not bound' financially as well as mentally).
I agree. At some level appearances matter (having good hygiene), but at the end of the day, confidence shouldn't come from something like an expensive car. That mindset is just a financial disaster waiting to happen.

AnNvr

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Apr 5, 2021
Australia
In an era of rented lambos of income YouTubers and flashy stuffs bragged by any classe level of bro-marketers to sell their subrscription model, a car as a meter to measure the level of wealth (and related knowledge of how to build it) is simply meaningless.

The only millionaire I know does not even own a car.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I understand both sides, but am a more on Gary's side here.:rofl:

Let's agree that people do matter... They are where your money comes from, they are who work for you and work with you. Being a leader is incredibly important. But, you don't need a flashy car to lead and if you are leading me to your "impressive" car, you are leading me away from what actually matters, and I will notice.

The people who impress me most are people that aren't trying to impress me.

View: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/gTMxOZfNy2g

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!