The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

ChatGPT - Am I missing something here

Idea threads

Mark Horrocks

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Feb 13, 2016
Hi,

I am from a computing background and have a computer science and had my own I.T company for 20+ years.

I tried ChatGPT is this just emperors new clothes or is it my age showing.

I instructed it to write content for me and after a while it all started all looking the same.

This cannot be good for SEO I write all my content myself and rank very high in a competative industry that has took me about 3 years to get there.

I like natural content flow and I do not think ChatGPT does this. Plus everybody will have the same content moving forward.

With respect to it producing code I think does it produce efficient code?

In the commercial sector you break down business requiremnets into functional and then through the software lifecycle were does ChatGPT fit in here?

It was fun using it but it's not for me.

Plus if I was paying for SEO and someone was using ChatGPT to produce it I would be pretty pissed off.

I will probably get slated for this.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

kyrisu

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Apr 23, 2023
I think I'm in a similar boat as you (I'm a software developer with over 15 years in the industry).

What made it click for me is when I've read Simon Willson article comparing Chat GPT to a "calculator for words". It just made sense since then:

- want it to answer factual question - no go (this can actually be solved with the right plugins like Wolfram Alpha)
- want it to paraphrase something - can do (although there's still the problem of hallucinations)
- want it to create a short, catchy marketing copy / ad based on a product description - it's a tool for you

In my opinion, it has the potential to replace junior people (both for copy and code). You still need to review the output, but it's a start.
It can also work as a brainstorming tool. What it says is sometimes garbage, but it may point you in the right direction or make you think.

Mark Horrocks

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Feb 13, 2016
I think I'm in a similar boat as you (I'm a software developer with over 15 years in the industry).

What made it click for me is when I've read Simon Willson article comparing Chat GPT to a "calculator for words". It just made sense since then:

- want it to answer factual question - no go (this can actually be solved with the right plugins like Wolfram Alpha)
- want it to paraphrase something - can do (although there's still the problem of hallucinations)
- want it to create a short, catchy marketing copy / ad based on a product description - it's a tool for you

In my opinion, it has the potential to replace junior people (both for copy and code). You still need to review the output, but it's a start.
It can also work as a brainstorming tool. What it says is sometimes garbage, but it may point you in the right direction or make you think.
Thanks for your comments especially the marketing copy. I would love a tool I could give it a set of data 5 years and verbally ask what it recognised in terms of specific questions. I know data mining tools exist but it requires a great deal of work.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Here's one way I'm using ChatGPT to speed up what I do:

I also used it to come up with ad copy for a beauty niche I know nothing about.

kyrisu

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Apr 23, 2023
I would love a tool I could give it a set of data 5 years and verbally ask what it recognised in terms of specific questions.
That's actually semi possible, but it involves a bit more work than just pasting the data into the prompt. Event with GPT 4 with 34k token context length (meaning your prompt can have ~24k words) it may not be enough for larger datasets.

"semi possible" because there's still the issue of hallucinations, so you will need to double-check the data.

Mark Horrocks

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Feb 13, 2016
That's actually semi possible, but it involves a bit more work than just pasting the data into the prompt. Event with GPT 4 with 34k token context length (meaning your prompt can have ~24k words) it may not be enough for larger datasets.

"semi possible" because there's still the issue of hallucinations, so you will need to double-check the data.
I wish I could find the right people to help me in this area I just do not have the time to learn it all. I have also been trying also to find a Betfair developer for 3 years. We have all of these outsourcing websites out there not mentioning names but I have struggled. I like to functionally decompose my requirements with a clear spec and then hand it over to the right people to implement. I think life was easier 10 years ago. Grumpy old man here!

GuavaFruit

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Oct 21, 2012
I instructed it to write content for me and after a while it all started all looking the same.

Have you got some examples of the kind of prompts you've used? In my experience the prompt can make a dramatic difference to the kind of output you get. Were you testing with ChatGPT or GPT4?

I tend to use it much like @kyrisu , as a way of checking my thinking and finding blind spots.

I think the other thing driving the excitement is just how quickly it's got to this level of performance. Some of the recent techniques like instruction fine-tuning and reinforcement learning from human feedback have led to huge increases in performance and we're still pretty early on understanding how to get the best out of them.

There was some interesting research on this recently: [2304.11062] Scaling Transformer to 1M tokens and beyond with RMT . It's still early days and it's not entirely clear how much of that context window the model can actually exploit. [2303.09752] CoLT5: Faster Long-Range Transformers with Conditional Computation has a more robust evaluation but only goes up to 64k.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
The biggest problem with ChatGPT v4 now, is that, say, if you ask it to write a short storey about a mouse who went on an adventure in the city, it will keep writing more or less of the same plot. You can ask it to rewrite with new prompts but it's still the same with perhaps a few words changed.

The randomization is not wild enough. We need ChatGPT to be able to churn out a very random, wide, diverse variety of content on the same topic.

Mark Horrocks

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Feb 13, 2016
Have you got some examples of the kind of prompts you've used? In my experience the prompt can make a dramatic difference to the kind of output you get. Were you testing with ChatGPT or GPT4?

I tend to use it much like @kyrisu , as a way of checking my thinking and finding blind spots.

I think the other thing driving the excitement is just how quickly it's got to this level of performance. Some of the recent techniques like instruction fine-tuning and reinforcement learning from human feedback have led to huge increases in performance and we're still pretty early on understanding how to get the best out of them.

There was some interesting research on this recently: [2304.11062] Scaling Transformer to 1M tokens and beyond with RMT . It's still early days and it's not entirely clear how much of that context window the model can actually exploit. [2303.09752] CoLT5: Faster Long-Range Transformers with Conditional Computation has a more robust evaluation but only goes up to 64k.
I have a set of structured data that I produce with my bespoke software I wrote. I need to look at the data looking for patterns. I currently use SQL in a relational database to do this and it does work. I want to see if A.I can understand it better.

GuavaFruit

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Oct 21, 2012
I have a set of structured data that I produce with my bespoke software I wrote. I need to look at the data looking for patterns. I currently use SQL in a relational database to do this and it does work. I want to see if A.I can understand it better.

If it's heavily numeric data you might have limited success with the large language models. It takes a bunch of trickery to get them even to simple sums correctly.

The randomization is not wild enough. We need ChatGPT to be able to churn out a very random, wide, diverse variety of content on the same topic.

I think this is a consequence of the alignment work (RLHF). Random, very diverse content might occasionally produce content that is offensive or harmful.

You can have a play with a bunch of different models for free on AI Playground - the text-davinci-xxx models are bigger than ChatGPT (gpt3.5-turbo) on there but haven't undergone RLHF or instruction tuning. You can also play with the temperature used, the higher the temperature the more random and diverse the output would be.

(If you're going to play with those models, your prompts need to be formulated as a completion not as instructions)

kyrisu

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Apr 23, 2023
The biggest problem with ChatGPT v4 now, is that, say, if you ask it to write a short storey about a mouse who went on an adventure in the city, it will keep writing more or less of the same plot. You can ask it to rewrite with new prompts but it's still the same with perhaps a few words changed.

If your client allows it - play with the temperature parameter. Temperature closer to 1 should give you a lot of variation in the responses, although it may be less coherent.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
(If you're going to play with those models, your prompts need to be formulated as a completion not as instructions)

Do you have an example of what you mean by "completion" and not as instructions?

GuavaFruit

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Oct 21, 2012
Do you have an example of what you mean by "completion" and not as instructions?

Sure. An example completion might be:

"Story title: What happened when a small mouse went to the big city

Body: There once was a small young mouse called "

Essentially the model is completing from your prompt onward (which is exactly what it was trained to do, predict the next word).

That's in contrast to instruction, which is just "Write me a story about a small mouse going to a big city".

Mark Horrocks

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Feb 13, 2016
Sure. An example completion might be:

"Story title: What happened when a small mouse went to the big city

Body: There once was a small young mouse called "

Essentially the model is completing from your prompt onward (which is exactly what it was trained to do, predict the next word).

That's in contrast to instruction, which is just "Write me a story about a small mouse going to a big city".
Many thanks today for all your comments it is much appreciated. I love the level of knowledge on this website.

vampa

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Apr 25, 2023
I feel like chagpt can be good for SEO content but purely to write outlines or structures of an article - the rest needs to be written by a human.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I think you are missing it.

ChatGPT is a tool. It has saved me countless hours in time.

If the tool is used wrong, it won't work for you. Kinda like buying a hammer to pound a screw into a piece of wood.

Minimally, ChatGPT is a great tool to give you leads for problem solving.

A lot of times it doesn't solve the problem, but it gives you clues where you should be looking.

Mark Horrocks

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Feb 13, 2016

If the tool is used wrong, it won't work for you. Kinda like buying a hammer to pound a screw into a piece of wood.

A lot of times it doesn't solve the problem, but it gives you clues where you should be looking.

I was looking for a tool I could daily feed it my bespoke data and it would learn and produce ideas as I said before I use conventional SQL queries aqainst this data in my 10+ years relational database which I designed and implemented under Unix. I know I am missing something in my data but it's how to ingest it.

nopalmer

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Feb 7, 2023

I like how you put it. At first, I was wondering the same thing. Mostly because it's really easy to spot the content written by ChatGPT since there is quite a recognizable pattern. However, I had a chance to talk to a couple of guys who spend hours writing prompts and testing them. One glance at these was enough for me to see that these instructions are far more complex than those I tried out. Consequently, the content was of much better quality than my poor attempts. It still needed some editing but the fact is - this tool can save tons of time when used properly.

shayfer

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 9, 2023
Alabama

I agree that ChatGPT is a tool and it has saved me countless hours in time as well.
When it comes to writing it's a great starter and template. I never use the exact words it produces.
For example, I use it to reply to work emails but change the words to "shayfer language" but keep the main points and to also not look like an AI generated response.

Speaking of ChatGPT I stumbled across Github Copilot today that uses ChatGPT. Anyone using this service? Looks like it would be great to code anything or at least get you a great starter template.

GuavaFruit

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Oct 21, 2012
Speaking of ChatGPT I stumbled across Github Copilot today that uses ChatGPT. Anyone using this service? Looks like it would be great to code anything or at least get you a great starter template.

I use Copilot though I find for throwing up a first pass of things GPT4 is better, I tend to get better results explaining the nuances of what I want. Copilot's great for editing and adding code though.

If you do use Copilot and visual studio code I recommend trying the nightly Copilot plugin and then installing Github's Copilot labs plugin. This gives you extra functionality like having Copilot explain bits of code to you and generate tests automatically.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
ChatGPT 4 has become such an invaluable and powerful tool that I use every day. However, it's only as good as the prompts you provide it. You can put GPT on steroids when using browser extensions and plug-ins.

Here are just some of the things I use it for daily:
  • As a Virtual/Personal Assistant
    • writing/responding to customer/prospect emails
    • pitch emails (HARO)
    • summarizing long or complex articles, emails, etc.
  • As a Marketing and SEO Consultant
    • Analyzing customer survey data to identify common answers
    • Brainstorming promotional/blog/marketing campaign ideas
    • Fine-tuning our customer avatar
    • Creating various calendars (email marketing, content/blog, social posts, etc)
    • SEO and Keyword research
  • As a Copywriter
    • TIP: be sure to explain your business, products, and customer avatar first to improve the output
    • TIP: ChatGPT knows sales and copywriting frameworks - specify which framework you want it to use
    • Email and SMS copywriting - subject lines, preview texts, and email
    • Writing UVPs, headlines, and subheadings
    • New Product descriptions
    • Long-form sales pages
    • Rewriting or expanding existing product descriptions
    • Ad copy and social media post copy
    • Blog articles and advertorials
  • For Shopify Theme Code Customizations
    • I've used it several times to fix or customize code saving me money by not hiring it out.
Here are some of the Chrome browser extensions I use:
  • HARPA AI | ChatGPT - crazy good AI Assistant (possibilities with this extension are endless)
  • Keywords Everywhere (can connect to your ChatGPT account)
  • GPT for Work - a Google Sheets/Docs Extension (I use to analyze survey response data)
  • AIPRM for ChatGPT
  • Youtube Summary with ChatGPT
[edited to specify the extensions are Chrome browser extensions]

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Here are some of the extensions I use:
  • HARPA AI | ChatGPT - crazy good AI Assistant (possibilities with this extension are endless)
  • GPT for Work - a Google Sheets/Docs Extension (I use to analyze survey response data)
  • AIPRM for ChatGPT

How? I don't have access to plugins under my paid subscription. Am i missing something?

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
How? I don't have access to plugins under my paid subscription. Am i missing something?
They're just Chrome browser extensions. Install them and connect them to your ChatGPT account.

Last edited:

shayfer

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 9, 2023
Alabama
ChatGPT 4 has become such an invaluable and powerful tool that I use every day. However, it's only as good as the prompts you provide it. You can put GPT on steroids when using browser extensions and plug-ins.

Here are just some of the things I use it for daily:
  • As a Virtual/Personal Assistant
    • writing/responding to customer/prospect emails
    • pitch emails (HARO)
    • summarizing long or complex articles, emails, etc.
  • As a Marketing and SEO Consultant
    • Analyzing customer survey data to identify common answers
    • Brainstorming promotional/blog/marketing campaign ideas
    • Fine-tuning our customer avatar
    • Creating various calendars (email marketing, content/blog, social posts, etc)
    • SEO and Keyword research
  • As a Copywriter
    • TIP: be sure to explain your business, products, and customer avatar first to improve the output
    • TIP: ChatGPT knows sales and copywriting frameworks - specify which framework you want it to use
    • Email and SMS copywriting - subject lines, preview texts, and email
    • Writing UVPs, headlines, and subheadings
    • New Product descriptions
    • Long-form sales pages
    • Rewriting or expanding existing product descriptions
    • Ad copy and social media post copy
    • Blog articles and advertorials
  • For Shopify Theme Code Customizations
    • I've used it several times to fix or customize code saving me money by not hiring it out.
Here are some of the Chrome browser extensions I use:
  • AIPRM for ChatGPT
[edited to specify the extensions are Chrome browser extensions]
I have been addicted to playing with these Chrome extensions all morning after reading your post. This needs to be a High Value Topic.

Have you found any extensions that allow ChatGPT to create pictures, charts, graphs?
I have tried different ways to input more into text into the chat window but hate the limit. I think it's like 2048? Have you figured out a way to get around that as well?

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Hi,

I am from a computing background and have a computer science and had my own I.T company for 20+ years.

This cannot be good for SEO I write all my content myself and rank very high in a competative industry that has took me about 3 years to get there.

I like natural content flow and I do not think ChatGPT does this. Plus everybody will have the same content moving forward.

With respect to it producing code I think does it produce efficient code?

In the commercial sector you break down business requiremnets into functional and then through the software lifecycle were does ChatGPT fit in here?

It was fun using it but it's not for me.

Plus if I was paying for SEO and someone was using ChatGPT to produce it I would be pretty pissed off.

I will probably get slated for this.

Part of what I do is create SEO content for an agency that has 50+ clients. ChatGPT speeds up the workflow but it cannot do all the work for you.

It cannot be trusted to provide correct information. Therefore, it can't be used to write content straight up. You have to provide it with the right information, otherwise ChatGPT is going to say some stuff that sounds right but could be downright harmful.

What it's GREAT for is changing the tone of your writing, finding synonyms, paraphrasing, simplifying, expanding on text, and organizing unorganized text. This makes ChatGPT a real lifesaver for those who spend hours sitting trying to figure out the right way to communicate an idea: you ask ChatGPT and it'll do it in as many ways as you want.

It's not going to stop some people from trying to use ChatGPT the "easy way", though. Those people are gonna get penalized by Google for having dupe content. Good luck to those people.

The code sucks but I hear CoPilot is a little better.

Mark Horrocks

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Feb 13, 2016
Part of what I do is create SEO content for an agency that has 50+ clients. ChatGPT speeds up the workflow but it cannot do all the work for you.

It cannot be trusted to provide correct information. Therefore, it can't be used to write content straight up. You have to provide it with the right information, otherwise ChatGPT is going to say some stuff that sounds right but could be downright harmful.

What it's GREAT for is changing the tone of your writing, finding synonyms, paraphrasing, simplifying, expanding on text, and organizing unorganized text. This makes ChatGPT a real lifesaver for those who spend hours sitting trying to figure out the right way to communicate an idea: you ask ChatGPT and it'll do it in as many ways as you want.

It's not going to stop some people from trying to use ChatGPT the "easy way", though. Those people are gonna get penalized by Google for having dupe content. Good luck to those people.

The code sucks but I hear CoPilot is a little better.
I totally agree. ChatGPT cannot convey emotions when writing content. I am not convinced by this AI tool it reminds me of the 'Spinwriter' products to produce content years ago absolute rubbish. I have just be playing with Discord for image generation got asked for a subcription upgrade straight away. Not produced an image yet. Tulip fever comes to mind here.

GuavaFruit

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Oct 21, 2012
Have you found any extensions that allow ChatGPT to create pictures, charts, graphs?
I have tried different ways to input more into text into the chat window but hate the limit. I think it's like 2048? Have you figured out a way to get around that as well?

Not inside ChatGPT but Microsoft has a free beta for it's OpenAI-powered designer up Microsoft Designer - Stunning designs in a flash

With regards to cramming more text in to the context window, without switching to some other model (GPT4 on the OpenAI API has a 32k context window if you're approved), you can get GPT4 (which you need to have ChatGPT Pro to use) to condense it's context which can sometimes buy you a little more space: View: https://twitter.com/gfodor/status/1643415357615640577

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
ChatGPT cannot convey emotions when writing content.

It can, but it might not be the emotions you intend to convey. Ultimately the best way to use ChatGPT for writing that I've found is to print out prose and then let me manually go through it and improve it myself.

Ask ChatGPT to rewrite your content in a persuasive tone. It'll sound like cheesy sales copy. Ask it to write it in a journalistic tone. It'll sound like a CNN article. Ask it to write it in a heartfelt tone. Still cheesy, but not bad. ChatGPT is better at this than people give it credit for.

Everyone thinks their writing is good, but I've tested my copy against ChatGPT's copy. Some won, some lost.

ChatGPT is not as good as it will be, though. And Alex Hormozi recently tweeted something like: "What if ChatGPT is just the MySpace of AI tools?"

I would also beware of self-serving bias, since many people who make money doing stuff that ChatGPT can do have an incentive to believe that they can't be replaced by a computer. I'm not convinced this is true.

However, I keep saying this: "the eyes of the master do more work than his hands". All human communication NEEDS a human eye to look at it before it's published, otherwise the risks are just too high.

9w13cky7

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 26, 2023
Brussels, Belgium
I wish I could find the right people to help me in this area I just do not have the time to learn it all. I have also been trying also to find a Betfair developer for 3 years. We have all of these outsourcing websites out there not mentioning names but I have struggled. I like to functionally decompose my requirements with a clear spec and then hand it over to the right people to implement. I think life was easier 10 years ago. Grumpy old man here!
/!\ Warning /!\ potential rabbit hole ahead. Also, a bit of what I would not call dumbing down, but more kind of trying to explain without the AI techie nerd speak that I might even get wrong after around 40 years of playing with neural nets (yes, I started at 10 years old with basic adjacency tables and Markov chains, for those who know about these things).

A lot of what ChatGPT can do reminds me an awful lot of a kind of advanced version of a program written a long time go, called Racter (short for Raconteur) which was used to create a book, now I think sadly very hard to get hold of, called "The Policeman's Beard is Half Constructed."

Essentially, Policeman's Beard is a collection of ramblings, poetry, and so forth (from what I remember) generated by the Racter software which had been trained on a large corpus of natural language.

To understand the benefits and issues of ChatGPT, you just need to remember that all it is doing is a bit of pattern matching and using generative logic to start, continue, and then edit a sentence before letting you read it. Generative logic is just a more advanced form of predictive text. When I think of it like that, it makes more sense of the results I get out of it.

I have a BSc. in Computer Studies, and written books about procedural content generation in video games that use a lot of these kinds of techniques to create novel examples of rule based content that sometimes goes a bit awry. Point of example: in the 1980s there was a space flight fighting and trading game called Elite which created star system names based on a table of letter sequences, and even it had to have a stoplist of words and fragments to prevent the system accidentally creating a star system with a naughty name.

(Other examples exist, but I'm not citing them all here because it would bore you, I'm sure).

The issues with ChatGPT are various... One: plagiarism. In a system that is recreating text based on observed patterns, there is always a chance of accidentally regurgitating someone else's work. The more niche the subject, the fewer the samples, and the greater the chances are of getting caught out.

Two: "hallucinations" including actually fabricating content to match some kind of presumed conclusion that has been drawn from creating a pattern accidentally containing ... erm, BS, to put it mildly. This happens, I suppose when the predictive branching finds itself locked in a loop where the only way out is to take a *really* long shot and hope it pans out. Then try and backtrack to make it look legit. Cunning AI.

Three: Rabbit holes. You can spend *hours* mucking around just trying to get the prompts right. There are also a STUPID number of books on the topic, and I strongly suspect many to be pure snakeoil, and not a few to have been written by using ChatGPT. DISCLAIMER: I have read not a one of them so I could be wrong, but don't ask me to recommend because having not read them that would be very unprofessional of me.

Those are the big three for me. The first is easily dealt with by Copyscape (is that still a thing?) The second by fact-checking; arguably if you need to do that level of fact-checking you may as well just do the research in the first place, in my opinion. And the third, well, ask around - people are always finding short-cuts and good prompt templates.

Also, don't forget that the GPT 4 API (although a paid service) will help anyone who wants to use the technology to analyse summarize and make something of large data sets that is a bit more fun that putting it into a database and writing SQL queries mixed with C/C++/Java/Python or *whatever* code. It's on my list of "stuff to research for fun when I get a minute"

Aaand, finally. I've used ChatGPT to create guitar music (in tablature, and chord sequences), almost got it good at creating word searches and crossword puzzles, complete with clues, but those need some work on the prompt side. I've had it summarise, translate and create texts (some with gaps in - my wife teaches English & Dutch to native French speakers) with a context and education level that is part of the prompt: as in "Create a text for secondary school students learning English as a foreign language, in their second/third/fourth... year about ...."

Fun times ahead, rabbit holes to explore!

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
I would also beware of self-serving bias, since many people who make money doing stuff that ChatGPT can do have an incentive to believe that they can't be replaced by a computer. I'm not convinced this is true.

However, I keep saying this: "the eyes of the master do more work than his hands". All human communication NEEDS a human eye to look at it before it's published, otherwise the risks are just too high.
^^^ Worth quoting.

I should point out that I never just take ChatGPT's output and paste it straight away. That would be folly. I always review it for accuracy, brand voice, etc. Everything takes some level of editing. Don't be lazy about it. I also run anything that will be posted publicly through Copyscape and an AI detection tool like ContentatScale.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.