The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Another new old guy who wants off the sidewalk

Buickestate

any colour as long as it comes with wood
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 4, 2015
Ontario
The first quote at the start of part one of MJ's book from Jodie Foster, spoke volumes to me. I've spent most of my life trying to be normal. I was successful in that goal.... But I'm not normal, what is normal isn't what I wanted. So why try to be normal ?

Who am I and what brought me here?

I'm 51, originally from eastern Ontario of French and Irish decent. I was raised in Belgium, Algeria, China, Switzerland, and a bit here in Canada during summer holidays and Christmas vacations. I got some culture shock when I finally moved to south western Ontario in the mid 80's. Trying to fit in and not stand out is what started me trying to be "normal"

I'm a Chef by trade, but I've had numerous career changes over the years. Like many I was never good with money in one hand out the other. After all money is the root of all evil, and it can't buy happiness. I like to blame the schools I attended for not teaching the skills to handle money, but in reality I never too the time to learn. I'm a car guy and that's where most of my spare change has gone. If I were to clean out my garage and sell off all my spare parts and some of my cars I would have a good lump of cash, but I would have to go buy back a part I just sold for my next project.....

What brought me here
The fact that what I've been doing isn't working for me, never has. Pure 100% sidewalk life. I succeeded at being a typical normal Canadian. I got the suburban ranch home, two car garage, lawn mowers, snow blowers, cars, a mortgage and only a few pay days away from disaster. So I've spent a lot of time recently reading and learning. To quote Norm from cheers "Life's a highway, and I can't find the on ramp" then the internet one day led me to a guy Named Tai Lopez, I bought his 67 steps, watched his videos, I figured the guy must have something to teach.... Lots of name dropping, with some content, and a fair bit of repetition. the cars don't impress me... if you watch some of his youtube videos where he has someone's pretty daughters around him while he talks, the girls have that look that says "when is this guy going to shut up and pay me what he promised ? " Tai's not a car guy and to say never invest in something that rust, tells me he has no clue about classic and collectible cars....
Of course I googled Tai Lopez and that search brought me here, I read some posts on the forum. I then drove to Lethbridge Alberta where I bought my copy of the millionair's fastlane. On the way home I visited Mount Rushmore, Carhendge in Nebraska, the American picker's store in Iowa, Oh and spent ten days visiting with the grand kids in southern Alberta.....

Why am I here
I'm here to learn, I wan to get away from the sidwalk life. I wan to learn how to build a business that can generate enough income both active and residual so that me and she who likes to be obeyed can travel and visit some of my old stomping grounds, and spend more time with the grand kids with out having to worry and budget for it. When we're not travelling it would be nice to have the time and money so I can go spend time in my garage turning wrenches and to have fun.

I'm looking forward to the changes with an open mind

Pat

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
Welcome to the forum Pat! Being here is already a step towards not being normal. :joyful:

Of course I googled Tai Lopez and that search brought me here, I read some posts on the forum.

Ha! I figured that thread was getting a lot of traffic via Google. Nice. :)

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Awesome intro, thanks for making the drive to Lethbridge. ;) @RHL is a car guy here and his business interests lie there, take a look at his posts. (Although cars or not, his posts tend to rock anyway.)

Buickestate

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 4, 2015
Ontario
Awesome intro, thanks for making the drive to Lethbridge. ;) @RHL is a car guy here and his business interests lie there, take a look at his posts. (Although cars or not, his posts tend to rock anyway.)

I'm not yet sure where my business interests should lie. My experience tells me that making my automotive hobby my focus can affect my personal enjoyment of the hobby. The risk of the shoemaker's shoes, the barber's own hair, or the psychiatrist's children is on my mind. Is there not one of your youtube videos where you mention not making one's hobbies or areas of personal interest one's business focus? Besides would rather stay away from automotive industry and explore other venues where I can expand my interests and knowledge base.

I'm not Ron Popeil but I often wake up with some cool business ideas, but being down here on the sidewalk my ideas just stay in my head. I'm here to learn how to my ideas and run with em.

Buickestate

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 4, 2015
Ontario
Welcome to the forum Pat! Being here is already a step towards not being normal. :joyful:

Ha! I figured that thread was getting a lot of traffic via Google. Nice. :)

Thanks, I've never really been normal. I'm just going to do my own thing from now on.

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
The first quote at the start of part one of MJ's book from Jodie Foster, spoke volumes to me. I've spent most of my life trying to be normal. I was successful in that goal.... But I'm not normal, what is normal isn't what I wanted. So why try to be normal ?

Who am I and what brought me here?

I'm 51, originally from eastern Ontario of French and Irish decent. I was raised in Belgium, Algeria, China, Switzerland, and a bit here in Canada during summer holidays and Christmas vacations. I got some culture shock when I finally moved to south western Ontario in the mid 80's. Trying to fit in and not stand out is what started me trying to be "normal"

I'm a Chef by trade, but I've had numerous career changes over the years. Like many I was never good with money in one hand out the other. After all money is the root of all evil, and it can't buy happiness. I like to blame the schools I attended for not teaching the skills to handle money, but in reality I never too the time to learn. I'm a car guy and that's where most of my spare change has gone. If I were to clean out my garage and sell off all my spare parts and some of my cars I would have a good lump of cash, but I would have to go buy back a part I just sold for my next project.....

What brought me here
The fact that what I've been doing isn't working for me, never has. Pure 100% sidewalk life. I succeeded at being a typical normal Canadian. I got the suburban ranch home, two car garage, lawn mowers, snow blowers, cars, a mortgage and only a few pay days away from disaster. So I've spent a lot of time recently reading and learning. To quote Norm from cheers "Life's a highway, and I can't find the on ramp" then the internet one day led me to a guy Named Tai Lopez, I bought his 67 steps, watched his videos, I figured the guy must have something to teach.... Lots of name dropping, with some content, and a fair bit of repetition. the cars don't impress me... if you watch some of his youtube videos where he has someone's pretty daughters around him while he talks, the girls have that look that says "when is this guy going to shut up and pay me what he promised ? " Tai's not a car guy and to say never invest in something that rust, tells me he has no clue about classic and collectible cars....
Of course I googled Tai Lopez and that search brought me here, I read some posts on the forum. I then drove to Lethbridge Alberta where I bought my copy of the millionair's fastlane. On the way home I visited Mount Rushmore, Carhendge in Nebraska, the American picker's store in Iowa, Oh and spent ten days visiting with the grand kids in southern Alberta.....

Why am I here
I'm here to learn, I wan to get away from the sidwalk life. I wan to learn how to build a business that can generate enough income both active and residual so that me and she who likes to be obeyed can travel and visit some of my old stomping grounds, and spend more time with the grand kids with out having to worry and budget for it. When we're not travelling it would be nice to have the time and money so I can go spend time in my garage turning wrenches and to have fun.

I'm looking forward to the changes with an open mind

Pat
Welcome to the forum. Great intro. Thanks, I chuckled in places. "She who likes to be obeyed..." Lol.

Interesting take on Tai. Name dropping, repetition, and only a little content. You should fit in well here. :)

Buickestate

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 4, 2015
Ontario
Just a quick update as to what I've been up to ....

I'm just poking about this forum reading some threads and learning things. trying to get a grasp of the flow of knowledge happening here. I don't feel that I'm ready to contribute much to the forum at this time since I've not yet finished reading the fastlane book. I'm just half way through, it's not that I'm a slow reader, it's more that this book is making me think and with every page it's working on tweaking and changing my though patterns. It's become a love hate thing, I love the book, but hate that it stimulates my mind and that keeps me up at night, thinking and rethinking of the many ways I need to change my life. A few late nights spent alone with my thoughts thinking isn't going to kill me, in fact it's what I need.

I find it amusing that some of my fellow newbies will post without doing their homework. I wouldn't expect any of the original members to share any information that could harm their business or income streams. A good example of this, is a good friend of mine owns a mobile automotive detail business, he travels from dealers to dealers cleaning and detailing used cars so the dealers can maximize their profits on the vehicles. A clean well detailed car will look newer and be more appealing. One day he was buffing out older oxidized yellow headlights for this dealer, it was a Saturday and the dealer's son was there, the dealer asked " do you mind if my son watches you work, he is very interested in what you're doing?" My friend didn't see any issues with that. However come the very next Saturday when my friend arrived at that dealer to work his magic, the dealer informed him that his services where no longer needed since they were now doing it in house cause his son now knows how to restore headlights.........

Along with reading the book and the forum here, I've been watching MJ's youtube contributions.

Buickestate

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 4, 2015
Ontario
Update, I finally got the book read, but I'm sure it will need more reading in the new year. There are things I need to work on and learn, I suck with math so I need to learn and understand more about the financial portions of the fastlane. Any advice on what's out there that would help me learn the financial skills.
This afternoon after finishing the book, I had a few ideas go through my head. After dinner I was thinking of where to spend my energies and what form should my fastlane be. I'm a car guy my love is older cars, restoring them going to shows cruise nights swap meets crawling through the older sections of junkyards. Without a doubt my love interest lies with older classic cars and the car hobby as a whole. In the past 20 or so years I've gone all over buying and dragging home project cars to restore. Cars are in my blood , my blood often times is part of the cars I've built.
With that knowledge I'm leaning towards self publishing. I've been reading about the topic and watching youtube videos. I feel confident that I can take this route and produce positive results. However I want to learn more about self publishing, I don't think reading a few websites and watching an hour of youtube videos is enough to start with.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Update, I finally got the book read, but I'm sure it will need more reading in the new year. There are things I need to work on and learn, I suck with math so I need to learn and understand more about the financial portions of the fastlane. Any advice on what's out there that would help me learn the financial skills.
This afternoon after finishing the book, I had a few ideas go through my head. After dinner I was thinking of where to spend my energies and what form should my fastlane be. I'm a car guy my love is older cars, restoring them going to shows cruise nights swap meets crawling through the older sections of junkyards. Without a doubt my love interest lies with older classic cars and the car hobby as a whole. In the past 20 or so years I've gone all over buying and dragging home project cars to restore. Cars are in my blood , my blood often times is part of the cars I've built.
With that knowledge I'm leaning towards self publishing. I've been reading about the topic and watching youtube videos. I feel confident that I can take this route and produce positive results. However I want to learn more about self publishing, I don't think reading a few websites and watching an hour of youtube videos is enough to start with.
What about doing YouTube videos for other car enthusiasts and see where that takes you?

@RHL ?

Buickestate

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 4, 2015
Ontario
What about doing YouTube videos for other car enthusiasts and see where that takes you?

@RHL ?

Andy,

I've done that in the past, had a decent following, I was getting close to the point where my account and many of my videos could have started generating income, but I pulled out of youtube and closed my account. I did so since many of my videos were linked with and even had David Rock participating on my videos prior to finding out about his past and current issues with the Law and children, I did not and still do not want to be associated with him in any form. I found out about Dave's past prior to this becoming mainstream and affecting his reputation. I then confronted him about his past, he was quite open but by his account he was the victim. I quickly distanced myself from him and his videos. Since many of my youtube followers were also fans of his, many of the comments and messages from them on my account and videos where related to Dave's legal matters, many were asking why I was no longer making videos with him. I closed that account and pulled my videos since my youtube account was just Hitchhiking on his fame. I do not want to be associated with that mess. My final words about Dave is that I've not talked with or seen him in five years. His trial ended late last month and he was found guilty and will appear in court for sentencing in early January 2016.

I can always revisit youtube, when I'm ready. I have a good knowledge of what generates views and what does not.

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
Checkout @DtRockstar1 .. He has a YouTube channel and is into cars big time. Nice guy. Always good to talk.

CrazyChris

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Feb 12, 2015
Based on my experience, YouTube alone isn't very fastlane unless your channel has a huge following and you are pumping out videos at least weekly. Even with a large-ish channel you'll still need to sell things through it just to generate a decent income.

Source: Have a channel with 100k subscribers.

I'm interested to see if @DtRockstar1 experience has been similar.

Buickestate

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 4, 2015
Ontario
Based on my experience, YouTube alone isn't very fastlane unless your channel has a huge following and you are pumping out videos at least weekly. Even with a large-ish channel you'll still need to sell things through it just to generate a decent income.

Source: Have a channel with 100k subscribers.

I'm interested to see if @DtRockstar1 experience has been similar.

It can become a a supplement to one's income, but it does consume a lot of time and effort. You're right though it's not very fastlane.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States

Turning passion into a business can ruin the joy of the hobby as you mentioned earlier, OR, it can make you have an incredibly successful business, because you are so in-tune to the needs of your customers and your passion shows in your work. It just depends.

A business has to start with a need. You have two decades worth of car hobbyist contacts. What is something these guys complain about? What would make their lives easier? Is there a commonly used restoration product that has some faults that could be improved? Solve a need, and the money will follow.

To me this sounds like "chasing money". You've heard about people making money with self-publishing, and now you think that it sounds do-able. What is the need here? Is there a lack of information about some topic related to cars that people need to know? Is there a guide or resource that people would love to have, but doesn't yet exist?

In your daily interactions, keep your eyes and ears open. Listen to what people say through a filter of "how can I help you". For example, anytime my wife starts off a sentence with "I hate..." or "I wish...", I open up the Evernote on my phone and start taking notes!

Buickestate

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 4, 2015
Ontario
Turning passion into a business can ruin the joy of the hobby as you mentioned earlier, OR, it can make you have an incredibly successful business, because you are so in-tune to the needs of your customers and your passion shows in your work. It just depends.

You are right, it is a fine line. I don't wish to loose the joy I have for it. This is an area that I plan to visit after I found my fastlane. I also fear that the classic car hobby is slowly going to die off. The younger generations are interested in it as much. The push towards a greener future is also affecting this hobby. Here in Ontario there has been instances where the police and our ministry of environment have waited outside cruise nights and car show then randomly pulling cars over and inspecting them till they find faults so they can issue fines and tickets. So far that is only happening in the Toronto area where there is a real issue with street racing, so the blanket the whole car hobby and not just the street racers. I can see guys leaving the hobby just to avoid that kind of harassment. I can think of several solutions right off the top of my head.

A business has to start with a need. You have two decades worth of car hobbyist contacts. What is something these guys complain about? What would make their lives easier? Is there a commonly used restoration product that has some faults that could be improved? Solve a need, and the money will follow.

The main three complaints I hear are about their wives, kids and politics. I'm not going to there. I've only just started to change my mind set from the sidewalk, I'm not yet where you are with your mindset, but I'm learning how to tune in. I still have years to go. I'm sure in the days, weeks, months to come I'll hear the complaint that will trigger me into action.

To me this sounds like "chasing money". You've heard about people making money with self-publishing, and now you think that it sounds do-able. What is the need here? Is there a lack of information about some topic related to cars that people need to know? Is there a guide or resource that people would love to have, but doesn't yet exist?

Here too there is a fine line between chasing money and filling a need. To me the term selfpublishing sounds self serving. There is always a need for more resources and information, the key is how to present it in a form that is both inviting and user friendly. Books may not be the best venue, a website might be better.

In your daily interactions, keep your eyes and ears open. Listen to what people say through a filter of "how can I help you". For example, anytime my wife starts off a sentence with "I hate..." or "I wish...", I open up the Evernote on my phone and start taking notes!

I'm learning to do just that.

You just touched on an issue I've been meaning to ask people about. I have a smart phone but I only use it to tell time, talk with family friends and customers, I take pictures and videos with it, and use the calculator function. I know that I'm under utilizing this thing. How can I make better use of it?

Buickestate

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 4, 2015
Ontario
Just an update, it's 2pm here on Christmas eve. All the gifts are bought wrapped and ready for tomorrow morning. It's time load the DVD player with "it's a wonderful life" sit back on the couch with an adult beverage. She who likes to talk through movies cuddled next to me on the couch.

Hope that everyone has a safe and Merry Christmas.

God Bless us all

Buickestate

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 4, 2015
Ontario
Happy New year, the year ahead is going to be interesting.....

yet%20to%20be%20written_zpsdazd4zgv.jpg

Buickestate

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 4, 2015
Ontario
I've been doing some reading, trying to get my ducks in order. Life has a way stepping in and messing your plans, My neighbour Hung himself in his shop, A good friend's mom died, One of my Local car guy buddies suffered a massif heart attack, and my best friend's 3 year old grand son was diagnosed with leukemia and is undergoing aggressive Chemo. Not to mention the number of artists I grew up listening to, passing on. It's just been a good start to the year.

I plan on changing the course this year has started on for the better.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I've been doing some reading, trying to get my ducks in order. Life has a way stepping in and messing your plans, My neighbour Hung himself in his shop, A good friend's mom died, One of my Local car guy buddies suffered a massif heart attack, and my best friend's 3 year old grand son was diagnosed with leukemia and is undergoing aggressive Chemo. Not to mention the number of artists I grew up listening to, passing on. It's just been a good start to the year.

I plan on changing the course this year has started on for the better.
These kinds of things will never stop. They are part of what happens while we are here. Any of us could suffer an injury or disease that would thwart our plans. Any of us could have a person very close to us have something happen.

Accept that these things happen. Allow your emotion in the moment and feel it to the fullest. Then move on with what you want to do and leave the emotional baggage behind.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%