The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Are low cost "tripwire" offers unethical?

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
"Would you like fries with that?" = Up-selling ... lol

It's a fun for us to poke fun because McDonalds is a pretty low-rent business mass-marketed towards the lowest common denominator... aWe associate McDonalds employees with sidewalking and we associate their customers with low-class people who don't care about the future.

Let's not forget that McD's is worth nearly $62 Billion dollars for just these practices. "Would you like fries with that" IS the OG of upsells. It's so well done and so ingrained into us that McDs customers EXPECT and even WELCOME the question.

Dollar Fries ARE tripwires. Toys in happy meals = GENIUS incentive to get kids on board.
Every big mac tastes the same, every batch of fries tastes the same and you're not taking a risk when you order even when traveling. McDs is a mammoth of a company and they're doing a LOT of things right.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
I think this whole discussion is a straw man.

Who cares?
It's a good discussion. Does it really matter if the post that prompted it was disingenuous?

Lots of good higher-level thinking and ideas coming out of it, people seem engaged, and there's practically NO rep, speed, recognition, money, or promotion upside from the OP even if it was just clickbait.

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
@DennisDuty Yeah after I posted that I realized it might be taken the wrong way, but I didn't fix it. The "lol" was because it's a clever up-sell.

I agree, there's no way McDonald's would be doing as well as it is if it wasn't doing things right business-wise. I actually watched something on Netflix that covered McDonald's because I wanted to learn more about it.

@MJ DeMarco Haha! Coincidence. I was seriously about to print the PDF offered on this website. https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/

piesandak47

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Mar 7, 2014
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I don't get why a lot of people think I'm trolling or using this as clickbait or whatever. I legitimately just wanted to know what everyone thought about tripwires haha.

I think the source of people calling them unethical was from the thread about ryan deiss and his work, but maybe I misinterpreted it.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
I think the source of people calling them unethical was from the thread about ryan deiss and his work, but maybe I misinterpreted it.

Maybe you cant read. Nobody ever said that tripwires were unethical in that thread. People criticized the unclear one-click upsells.

Ryan Deiss' stuff is absolute F*cking GOLD if used for a real business with real value behind the marketing. His strategies took my business from 0 to 6 figures in 6 months and will take my business to 8-9 figures in the next 5 years.

Last edited:
G

GuestUser112

Its all about perspective really. If McDonalds started pretending that its double cheeseburgers were healthy it would be a complete lie and therefore unethical. But they don't, so it isn't. If you're a poverty stricken young man with the ambition to become a professional wrestler, McDonalds is a life saver because the calorie content for the price is insane. It doesn't make sense for people to starve in America when you can get a 350 calorie burger for a dollar. You won't look like Ryan Gosling but hey your alive.

However, I also think its unethical for people to refuse to use their brains. Ignorance is a choice. So if you attend a $10 000 seminar about how to spend money wisely, you're just as much of an a-hole as the guy who's giving it. Its like all these people complaining about the educational system when they live next to a library and have internet access.

Is 'selling' unethical? If you think so, you might as well go join the army... Irony.....

Tripwires are just a selling tool.

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
I am still waiting for someone (the OP or other) to post me an example of anyone that called a tripwire unethical.
I've looked.
He may be referring to that thread that someone posted the links for and got all confused about us berating the guy who did it.

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
All a "tripwire" is is a product priced lower than its market value. How is that remotely unethical?

You're basically providing a product that the value the person gets from it is WAY above its price point, be it $15, $7, $1 etc.

A free trial to a SaaS is a tripwire - it's a very low barrier to entry.

I use Shipstation to ship my orders - they gave me a free trial and I was hooked. Was I unhappy that they started billing me after the 30 day free trial period? Hell no. I gladly send them money each month.

In the same line of thinking, there is nothing wrong with an upsell either.

If you read Ready, Fire, Aim you'll see many successful businesses were built using a tripwire, for break even or a loss, and the profit was made on back end sales.

Most people only think of the product. Buy product X and sell it for price Y. Make sure Y is less than you paid for it. Most people don't take in account the cost per acquisition (CPA).

If you can start thinking, how do I acquire a customer at break even, and then profit on back end sales, you'll go much further than most people.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Last edited by a moderator:

Ma Co

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
362%
Apr 2, 2012
Vietnam
It's a fun for us to poke fun because McDonalds is a pretty low-rent business mass-marketed towards the lowest common denominator... aWe associate McDonalds employees with sidewalking and we associate their customers with low-class people who don't care about the future.

Let's not forget that McD's is worth nearly $62 Billion dollars for just these practices. "Would you like fries with that" IS the OG of upsells. It's so well done and so ingrained into us that McDs customers EXPECT and even WELCOME the question.

Dollar Fries ARE tripwires. Toys in happy meals = GENIUS incentive to get kids on board.
Every big mac tastes the same, every batch of fries tastes the same and you're not taking a risk when you order even when traveling. McDs is a mammoth of a company and they're doing a LOT of things right.

Just as an interesting aside:

In one of Dan Kennedy's seminars he advocates: "Raise your prices!!!"
Then he mentions that the FIRST time McD's lost money is when they came up with their $1 menu.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.