The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Youtube Question

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
For anyone that makes video's, I have a question. The first ad that comes up on the video for 5 seconds....... do you get paid if I only watch 5 seconds and then skip? Do you get paid more if I watch 10 seconds and then skip? Do you get paid more if I watch the whole thing? I like to help some of the people and for the people who have less views, I'd take the time to watch 25 more seconds if I knew it would make them a few more pennies. Everyone talks about how much they make and how the ads work but I've never seen a video on anything like this. Thanks

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Nick M.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jul 13, 2018
I don't know exactly how creators get paid, but I do know how advertisers pay.

So advertisers only pay when one of two things happen for skippable video ads:
  • The viewer interacts with the ad (e.g., click)
  • The viewer watches 30 seconds (or if the ad is shorter, then they pay when the entire video is watched)
YouTube then splits the ad revenue 50/50 with the creator. I'd assume, then, creators get paid every time advertisers pay.

If that's true, then here are the answers to your questions:

The first ad that comes up on the video for 5 seconds....... do you get paid if I only watch 5 seconds and then skip?

Nope.

Do you get paid more if I watch 10 seconds and then skip?

Nope.

Do you get paid more if I watch the whole thing?

Not more, but you will get paid.

In YouTube Studio, you'll see a number called CPM. This is how much you got paid per 1,000 views on average. I don't know if YouTube reports how many people skipped vs. watched the ad.

And there are other types of ads that run on videos, such as banner ads and non-skippable ads. Each has its own payment rules that I'm not as familiar with.

Here's a long article answering many questions you may have:

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
For anyone that makes video's, I have a question. The first ad that comes up on the video for 5 seconds....... do you get paid if I only watch 5 seconds and then skip? Do you get paid more if I watch 10 seconds and then skip? Do you get paid more if I watch the whole thing? I like to help some of the people and for the people who have less views, I'd take the time to watch 25 more seconds if I knew it would make them a few more pennies. Everyone talks about how much they make and how the ads work but I've never seen a video on anything like this. Thanks

I have run a few youtube ads so let me answer it for you.

We pay to have the ads shown not the other way around, it isn't cheap either.

To say they all make alot of money wouldn't be true at all.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
Just tag one of the mods or put in a complaint on one of the side tabs.

Complaint? Come on now.... I'm no complainer. I might bitch a lot but I'm not a complainer. :rofl: ;) I was just joking. Actually, there is only 1 guy that I'd ever complain about and the only thing I complain about him is that he lives in Hawaii and I can't break his neck because I have no interest in going to Hawaii :innocent: :halo:

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Complaint? Come on now.... I'm no complainer. I might bitch a lot but I'm not a complainer. :rofl: ;) I was just joking. Actually, there is only 1 guy that I'd ever complain about and the only thing I complain about him is that he lives in Hawaii and I can't break his neck because I have no interest in going to Hawaii :innocent: :halo:

HAHA :p i meant to put a tongue in cheek emoji, but the stupid thing didn't work on my phone lol.

Iv'e only ever paid money to have the ads up, never received any.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
You get paid if the video is watched past 30 seconds. That is the magic number, 30 seconds because the person paying for the actual ad is charged by YouTube for the view after that point regardless of how much is watched after that.

If you want in-depth free training to help some people on how to best utilize YouTube videos for their business I recommend you watch the free VIP YouTube Ads workshop:

I was just wondering so I know to watch the ads or not. I'll watch 32 seconds in order to help some people out. But for example, today there was a 5:31 ad and there was no way I was going to watch that thing so I just skipped it after 5 seconds. Sometimes I do just walk away and let it run though.

Last edited by a moderator:

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
If you want in-depth free training to help some people on how to best utilize YouTube videos for their business I recommend you watch the free VIP YouTube Ads workshop:

That looks like the front end of a sales funnel Peter.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Why do we have to reserve spots for free online training that’s likely recorded? That always gets me...

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I was just wondering so I know to watch the ads or not. I'll watch 32 seconds in order to help some people out. But for example, today there was a 5:31 ad and there was no way I was going to watch that thing so I just skipped it after 5 seconds. Sometimes I do just walk away and let it run though.
You might be helping the owner of that YouTube channel get some ad revenue, but there’s some advertiser paying for that video view, who may also think their video is getting viewed all the way to the end so must be doing a good job of holding your attention. Maybe the YouTube algorithm will then show that ad more often because Google make money from it and figure it must be relevant because people watch to the end?

If I want to skip an ad I skip it. That seems the fairest thing to do right?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
That is actually a very good question! Guess that is how things work online and as long as I get value for my input I don't mind.
I’m not knocking getting value. If you get value then great.

I’m just questioning why folks dress up their offer such that people’s BS detectors go off. Is it deliberate to separate their market from those who wouldn’t buy from them? Or are people blindly following someone else’s blueprint?

Me personally, if I have a free video for you to watch them it’s on YouTube, or if I put it behind a squeeze page then I’ll be transparent that you opt in to access the free video. I won’t pretend it’s live. (Not saying that guy you linked to has a pseudo live training - I didn’t sign up.)

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
As long as I get educated and my business is helped with the knowledge I don't mind. In life and business it is always a give and take, simple.
Hold on. I’m just suggesting you skip an ad if it’s not for you, and watch it if it is.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
I only skip things I am not interested in my brother. YouTube I am interested in mastering so let me see what I learn in the workshop. I do research on people before I sign up and this person is making money on YouTube and is a legit marketer. I will listen to what he has to say, no question.

You will probably learn more by spending $100 yourself in google ads and running your own youtube ads than what you would paying someone $499.99 after being put into a sales funnel that reveals all of there secrets..

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Not at all. Been online since 2007 and one thing I have learned is to learn from those that are getting results in the area you want to master, simple. I am an expert in certain things but not all things so I seek out the best of the best and then listen to them.

As suspected from me he is most likely making money selling the system more so than actually using the system himself....

Might want to look around a bit, few people here saying they got scammed.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
As suspected from me he is most likely making money selling the system more so than actually using the system himself....

Might want to look around a bit, few people here saying they got scammed.

Am I missing something? His channel has less subscribers than mine and I suck at YouTube..

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Not at all. Been online since 2007 and one thing I have learned is to learn from those that are getting results in the area you want to master, simple. I am an expert in certain things but not all things so I seek out the best of the best and then listen to them.

Common man you can't be that nieve...

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Common man you can't be that nieve...

No point debating this one.

The landing page is definitely a sales funnel. The influencer is definitely a guru. His channel definitely doesn't have a million views (because I can count). Most of his videos have a high number of dislikes which means the people who watched them thought they were shit.

As a reminder to everyone else who likes to not waste money:

1. Most people who get sucked into guru cults think they're too smart to be duped.
2. Guru cults target smart people with money because broke people can't buy.
3. The red flags of a guru include the terms "invest in yourself" and "only learn from people who have what you want"
4. The longer you're around someone the more likely you are to be influenced by them
5. If it looks like a guru and smells like a guru...

For a refresher on all of this stuff, see my super gold thread on the topic:

Bobby_italy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Jan 19, 2016
What does a guru mean? Either a person is getting results and knows what they are doing which is all verifiable online or they don't, simple. If anyone is practicing what they preach then it would be wise to take notes and listen. I am not an accountant for example so if I want to master accounting I find an accountant that is getting results and listen to them. Not rocket science. Anyhow...enough on this topic. Got work to do...
I think you're just trolling and that "guru" is also a complete failure as other people stated.
You're midway through a funnel and it's very sad to witness.
Good luck learning from the best when actually all the info you need is out there for free from better people than him.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
You might be helping the owner of that YouTube channel get some ad revenue, but there’s some advertiser paying for that video view, who may also think their video is getting viewed all the way to the end so must be doing a good job of holding your attention. Maybe the YouTube algorithm will then show that ad more often because Google make money from it and figure it must be relevant because people watch to the end?

If I want to skip an ad I skip it. That seems the fairest thing to do right?

I will decide depending on who made the video. While I always pride myself on being fair, in this case, it might not be 'fair' but it's as fair as I can make it to please me. AND, you just gave me an idea..... I'm going to start letting this long 5-10 minute ads run so they have to pay everytime..... maybe it will cost them millions with no sales and they will get the idea to cut that sh!t out. Maybe they won't be able to rent those fancy cars to put in front of that fancy, rented house for the day.

Nick M.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jul 13, 2018
I will decide depending on who made the video. While I always pride myself on being fair, in this case, it might not be 'fair' but it's as fair as I can make it to please me. AND, you just gave me an idea..... I'm going to start letting this long 5-10 minute ads run so they have to pay everytime..... maybe it will cost them millions with no sales and they will get the idea to cut that sh!t out. Maybe they won't be able to rent those fancy cars to put in front of that fancy, rented house for the day.

Also, I believe if you make 10+ minute videos, you can place multiple ad breaks.

I could be wrong, but I believe 2+ ad breaks doesn't decrease your revenue per ad. It scales linearly. So 2 ads mean twice the revenue (assuming the video holds their viewer's attention). And you don't simply get an extra ad per 10 minutes. A 10-minute video can have 3-4 ads if you wish.

So you might even want to try to experiment with multiple ad breaks if the content is long enough.

That's why so many YouTube videos are 10:01 seconds long–it's just long enough to put in more ads.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
Also, I believe if you make 10+ minute videos, you can place multiple ad breaks.

I could be wrong, but I believe 2+ ad breaks doesn't decrease your revenue per ad. It scales linearly. So 2 ads mean twice the revenue (assuming the video holds their viewer's attention). And you don't simply get an extra ad per 10 minutes. A 10-minute video can have 3-4 ads if you wish.

So you might even want to try to experiment with multiple ad breaks if the content is long enough.

That's why so many YouTube videos are 10:01 seconds long–it's just long enough to put in more ads.

lol I'm not making any videos. I just watch the videos. Just trying to help some of the Youtubers.

I get that it's 2 sided...... should I help the Youtuber or click off after 5 seconds..... that's why I will watch the ads on the smaller channels now. Try to get them a little revenue going.

Nick M.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jul 13, 2018
lol I'm not making any videos. I just watch the videos. Just trying to help some of the Youtubers.

I get that it's 2 sided...... should I help the Youtuber or click off after 5 seconds..... that's why I will watch the ads on the smaller channels now. Try to get them a little revenue going.

I see. I've found some Chrome extensions in the past that move certain ads off-screen, so the YouTuber still gets paid and you don't have to see it. I don't recall the name of those.

For skippable ads, perhaps you can try this Chrome extension:

It allows you to skip ads automatically after 30 seconds—again so they get paid and also so you don't need to see any more ads than necessary. I used to use several of these kinds of plugins before I really quit watching YouTube.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power