The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

You Will Never Be A Millionaire!

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
It's said that revenge is a powerful motivator. It's not necessarily revenge in this case but you know what I mean. Messages like that can be extremely motivational. Use the energy to catapult you right into what you want to achieve.
I think I have to say this is how I arrived at Fastlane, people telling me success isn't achievable, because they haven't done it themselves. And of course, I've always been stubborn and say watch me. I've always used that is leverage since a young age. And usually people always are surprised for some reason when I do the impossible after they've been negative and say that can't happen. lol

Usually it's when people push me to the edge, and I do get pissed off. I say watch me. lol

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JacobBW

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Mar 28, 2016
Australia
It's a constant thing - family wants to keep you the same, that way you're a known quantity.
Start stepping out of line and they get scared of the change that inevitably comes with it - they will have to adapt to the 'new' you. As if your ambitions or potential wealth would change you. In theory wealth and success just make you more of what you are, right?
Then there's the fact that they don't want to be shown up close what they have chosen not to pursue or achieve for themselves. The element of jealousy.
I've stopped caring what family think of my next ventures. I've also stopped expecting anything in particular - my wife will get pissed-off at this or that and can't get her head around why I'm so calm about it - it's because I don't expect anything from them, so I can't be disappointed.
Don't get me wrong - I still love them, I've just let go of the disappointment aspect.
I call it a healthy dose of distance (even though we live in the same town).

Don't let them hold you back.
You're gunna change, so go ahead and grow.

Tapp001

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
May 24, 2016
31269705.jpg

Glad to meet another member of the nowadays rare "I don't thrive by thinking positively"-crowd :rockon:

Im generally happy and upbeat to those that insult me because 1) I think its funny, and 2) It short circuits their brains, causing angst and confusion.

Apparently once in high school somebody punched me at a party (im sure I deserved it), but instead of responding in anger I just asked "why?" in an annoyed tone of voice. I completely forgot about it, and it only came up when the guy who punched me asked me about it a decade later.

omar

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Jul 16, 2013
It's unfortunate, but I've found that you have to be really careful sharing your internal desires with others.

To be fair, I'm sure there are many psychological reasons why it doesn't work well.

Especially one being the other persons fear that you will outgrow and leave them behind which will make them second guess their own lives.

Essentially their subconscious thoughts are:

If you make it, what will that say about me.

JokerCrazyBeatz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 1, 2016
Ive been held down by many people all my life , told by teachers i'd be nothing , told by exs that my dreams would only happen by "luck" not winning over my ex's parents b/c i dont believe college could help me. And that proved to me that i really DID have potential , i've always had a vision just never had the connectors to make it happen.

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
May 21, 2011
I stopped talking about my shit a long time ago. 99% of people that know me have no idea what i do and probably don't care, including family. I don't need any baby mamas or tort lawyers ruining my shit.

Almantas

Nothing to Lose
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
475%
Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
The opinion of people is a reflection of their own lives and experiences. I would feel sorry for their limited belief system, nothing more.

V8Bill

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Feb 9, 2012
Australia
Is this true? We all get attacked on a regular basis. Why do some handle it better than others? It has more to do with how you accept the energy.
True, it depends on how you handle it but for the most part we do care what people think and a slap whether physical or verbal isn't a pleasant thing.

Yeah, it stings but for how long and how it's interpreted is (you're right) up to the individual. I'm not referring to disagreeing with a point of view (that's intelligent debate). I'm talking about abuse and personal attacks.

JohnZ123

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Jan 23, 2014
My "uncle" once told his children in front of me (12) to never do something like me like pursuing entrepreneurship because it's foolish 1 year ago. At that moment I was incredibly mad but didn't react on impulse. Every time someone doubts me I use it as motivation to be more productive.

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
people say they want to be rich but how will you know that you have enough ?

why are you working so hard for ?

to be happy ? to be free ?

what's the meaning of life for you ?

i don't want to be a milionaire but to have my bills paid

if someone said to me " look, i will pay your bills , i will give you 3000 dollars a month but now onwards you must accept to never try to become a millionaire "

i would say " god ! sure !! "

i don't want to be rich, i want to be free !!

Last edited:

IrishSpring600

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 24, 2013

if someone said to me " look, i will pay your bills , i will give you 3000 dollars a month but now onwards you must accept to never try to become a millionaire "

But that's not growth, that's gross.

V8Bill

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Feb 9, 2012
Australia
So settle for mediocrity?

That's not what the fastlane is about.

You don't have to be rich to be fastlane, but you have to make the effort and strive for wealth.
But that's not growth. Just ew.

Not necessary to put someone down because they want freedom.

Obtaining freedom is the ultimate goal for many (I believe most). Some want to be free to make money and others want to make money to be free. For those (including me) financial freedom is a means to that end. For a lot of active business builders it's not about the lust or love of money. Not everyone wants to immerse themselves in business every single waking hour of every single day of their lives forever until they die.

I'm in business to obtain freedom and if someone was to hand it to me on a plate I'd also jump at it and spend my life doing what I wanted to become a "millionaire" for. I have zero need for labels like "millionaire". I believe that in the context of this site the term is used both literally and also as a metaphor. Lots of people will achieve the freedom they crave way before they become a "millionaire" (and all it's various definitions).

Sure, business is fun for many people and there's nothing wrong with that (I like it because I get to meet cool people as well) but going hell for leather every day just to make more, then more, and more and more money with no end or purpose in site isn't for everyone and I think that's probably a good thing.

IrishSpring600

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 24, 2013
Not necessary to put someone down because they want freedom.

Obtaining freedom is the ultimate goal for many (I believe most). Some want to be free to make money and others want to make money to be free. For those (including me) financial freedom is a means to that end. For a lot of active business builders it's not about the lust or love of money. Not everyone wants to immerse themselves in business every single waking hour of every single day of their lives forever until they die.

I'm in business to obtain freedom and if someone was to hand it to me on a plate I'd also jump at it and spend my life doing what I wanted to become a "millionaire" for. I have zero need for labels like "millionaire". I believe that in the context of this site the term is used both literally and also as a metaphor. Lots of people will achieve the freedom they crave way before they become a "millionaire" (and all it's various definitions).

Sure, business is fun for many people and there's nothing wrong with that (I like it because I get to meet cool people as well) but going hell for leather every day just to make more, then more, and more and more money with no end or purpose in site isn't for everyone and I think that's probably a good thing.
You're right. I apologize, @GMSI7D

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ

I understand where you're coming from, and it makes a certain amount of sense.

The reason it doesn't resonate with me is that I define freedom differently. Here's how I see it:

sure, I may have my bills paid this month, and next month. But what if I want to take a fancy vacation? What if a relative gets really sick and needs lots of cash for treatment? Heck, what if I want to learn some new skill from some of the best teachers in the world? When we have kids, we'll want to either home school or put in a top tier private school. This means more cash outlay.

All these things take massive amounts of money, beyond just paying our bills month to month. I think the reasons I outlined above, alongside many others, is why so many of us strive for liquid millions.

Not trying to tell you that you're wrong, or that you're mediocre - just trying to get the two sides of the argument to see eye to eye and get some understanding. Whatever makes you happy, makes me happy for you.

MattR82

Platinum Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
I can understand what he is saying but I think he just did a poor job of describing it. No need for Ferraris and Lambos but also no need to work as a slave for someone else your entire life.

IrishSpring600

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 24, 2013
That's his destination, not ours. A big problem I have is that I don't have a destination. I sure don't want to work the midnight valet shifts; they waste my day. I spend a lot of time reading during the shifts.

But all I am satisfied doing, currently, is helping people by finding out if they're having trouble with something, greeting people on the streets and bringing a smile to their face, and buying my supplements.

I guess my true destination would be to have seven days a week for free to do whatever the heck I want and whenever the heck I want, with whoever! I guess I have to figure out how much that would cost for the next 70 years or so until I am an old fart? But by then I'll probably want a mansion. Please help with my analysis paralysis. How far ahead do I have to plan?

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
No, you just need to figure out how much that will cost per month and then create long-term passive income streams that generate that monthly amount...
Just a few thousand a month makes a huge difference in everything.

IrishSpring600

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 24, 2013
No, you just need to figure out how much that will cost per month and then create long-term passive income streams that generate that monthly amount...

I will do this by today (the figuring out the monthly cost part)

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
Just a few thousand a month makes a huge difference in everything.

Who says I cant be a millionaire? I will and I shall. No ifs ands or buts. There is plenty of ABUNDANCE in this world. I dont believe in scarcity. ONly Abundance.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario

I'm going to tell you right now: if you take this Fastlane stuff seriously, you WILL hit that point.

I know I've busted your balls before because you're bad at statistics and you should go ahead and retake it in school, but I know you can do it.

If you want to pay your bills without a job, you CAN. Anyone can. I truly believe this.

It's not easy but you'll get there.

Once you get there, though, one of two things will happen:

1) You'll start to want more

2) You'll get complacent

#2 is a bad thing and you need to avoid it until the day you SELL your business.

#2 is the same kind of complacency that turns sprightly 22 year olds into fat and sluggish 30 year olds. It's the same kind of complacency that keeps people in jobs they hate, in relationships that are toxic, in hometowns that are stifling.

You think that's all you want, but until you get there, you won't understand how damning that attitude can be.

IrishSpring600

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 24, 2013
Let's define the lifestyle.

1) What exactly do I want?

I want to be happy and have a lot of friends. Friends that I can share positive
energy back and forth with. Friends that I can run into while doing my daily
activities. I want to be able to spread positivity throughout the world to
others. Lifting helps me do that. Lifting is a powerful tool. After my workouts,
I can just ride my bike and say Hi to people. I can also just walk and say Hi.
This brings a smile to my face because I want to share my positivity and it
makes me feel good. Most importantly, I want to do whatever I want, whenever I
want, and with whoever I want. I want to be free from making money (financially
free); my time should not have to involve making money. Here are my expenses:

- Beta-alanine
- Fish oil
- Protein
- Food (Parents currently feed me, but this won't always be.)
- A gym membership
- A roof (I currently live with my parents, but this won't always be.)
- Transportation (Right now, my bike is sufficient but needs maintenance.
I should get my bike checked up.)
- Condoms
- Foot Spray
- Bike Maintenance
- Meetups (clubs like Toastmasters, Dancing, Yoga)
- Dating
- Internet
- Phone (currently parents pay it, but this won't always be.)

Food (per month):

Gallon of milk every four days: $30
Chicken thighs and drumsticks (two thighs, three and a half drumsticks/day): $30
Eggs (6/day): $10
Pasta (box/3 days): $10
Ketchup (box/14 days): $5
Pizza (1/week): $40 (DAMN!)

Roof (per month):

I want to stay in my own 1-bedroom apartment for now. That would be chill.
Most 1-bedroom apartments where I want to live are at least $1.2k.

Transportation would involve bike maintenance. Possibly an average of $15/month.

2) Assess the (monthly) cost

- Beta-alanine: $13.50
- Fish oil: $17
- Protein: $50
- Food: $125
- A gym membership: $38
- A roof: $1.2k
- Transportation: $0
- Condoms: $25
- Foot Spray: $20
- Bike maintenance: $15
- Meetups: $80
- Dating: $120
- Internet: $30
- Phone: $60

Lifestyle cost: $1793.50/month
Lifestyle cost, roof and food (except the pizzas) paid for: $508.50/month
Easily affordable working as a high school teacher, except for the fact 40 hours
and more will be gone from my day, and I'll always be focused on teaching, not
on self-improvement and providing value to non-students. No thanks, Jeff.

Edit: I've reconsidered the decision to be a high school math teacher and I'm going for it. I'll be earning more than my slowlane job, but at the rate I'm going I will hit my MST (see below) in 20+ years. That's a little too slow, so I may need an exit plan.

Allowances:
I may buy a new car (an Audi S4, only $50k) eventually, but I'm not leasing it.
I don't know of any allowances I could get. I may try out some new supplements
($30). I may go to some nice dinners ($100).

Gross Living Cost: $1793.50/month + $130/month = $1923.50/month
Gross Living Cost (living at home, or LAH): $508.50/month + $130/month =
$638.50/month

Net Living Cost: $3205.83/month
Net Living Cost, LAH: $1064.16/month

Money System Target: ($3205.83*12)/.05 = $769,399.20
Money System Target, LAH: ($1064.16/month*12)/.05 = $255,398.40

Interesting!

Business System Target = $9617.50/month
Business System Target, LAH = $3192.50/month

Last edited:

Torobaro

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Mar 30, 2016
Spain

Once you are free you would get bored, there is nothing as exciting like having an ambitous goal and working towards it.

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
Once you are free you would get bored, there is nothing as exciting like having an ambitous goal and working towards it.

i promise you when i am free, i won't get bored at all

all i want in my life is fishing, watching the stars with my binocular and mining for minerals in the french alps as a hobby

i am basically a monk

this is enough for me

i thought i wanted the good life: the nice chalet in the alps and so on

but at 40 , i am mature enough now to see reality

eTox

Expect success, but prepare to fail.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
May 21, 2016
Toronto
I recall reading Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill almost 2 years ago and there it said something along the lines: Keep your eyes and ears wide open and keep your mouth shut. Friends and family are usually the number one enemy in achieving your success.

Fast forward a year and a half later when I truly realized the power of silence.

There is a great Russian saying: "The less they know, the sounder they sleep."

:tiphat:

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
I have to chime in and agree that doing nothing for the rest of my life would be pretty boring. I've worked hard my entire life. I've been working in some capacity (job or business) for 15 years. I'm considering selling my business after this Christmas season. I was going to do nothing and just spend time with family etc. Within the last few weeks I realized that doing nothing is simply not going to happen. I just can't sit at home and knit. I can't just go fishing, hunting, socializing. I want to be building something, I want to be doing something. I've got 3-5 different businesses that I could start tomorrow and make money at any of them. So go fishing or build the next multi-million dollar company? I'll take the challenge. I want to more than survive, I want to thrive.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014
Talking to my dad about some of the insane risks I've taken in the last couple of years (and his disapproval of my answering emails and phone calls at night time and on weekends), I explained to him that my motivation wasn't to get rich, just to get to the point where I didn't wake up every morning with my day already belonging to another person. His response:

Someone will always own your time.

I have that phrase written on my desktop. The sheer sadness of it is extremely motivating.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.