The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Years of learning, now time to engage in actual process

stantechie

It’s never too late to hit the fast lane!
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Feb 6, 2020
Vancouver
Good morning and hello everyone!

I have been silently following along on this forum for some time, and have listened to all three of the books by MJ (Audible versions). I'm re-listening to Unscripted right now after finishing the new Rat Race book, and I'm inspired to actually get started in the process and stop action faking.

I've been at the idea stage for several ideas for a long time now. I realize the hang up I have is that my job is good (I enjoy it for the most part). But over the past two years the workload has doubled and the wage hasn't budged. It's a slow lane and I need better for my life, health and family.

My background is in telecommunications network technology, and I've always had a side hustle managing Linux servers, IT support, building custom solutions for single clients (I enjoy this stuff).

My ideas revolve around taking some of those custom solutions and adding scale to reach several clients. I've got a few marketing strategies in mind once I have a website built that will convert well, automate the payment flow and services being offered. I quite liked what MJ had suggested in one of the books about sending a FedEx directly to potential clients to stand out from the crowd.

Being a perfectionist I have to really watch that I don't waste too much time setting this up, as it needs to look good and be functional, but I could get stuck at the implementation stage for too long if I'm not careful. I need to be more like Microsoft and push out a beta service then spend the time cleaning up the bugs later rather the waiting until it's perfect to deploy.

Most of my ideas are based around SaaS (software as a service) since I already have the resources and infrastructure skills to host it.

I guess the big issue I face right now is I have a half dozen ideas that each target different industries and I'm certain that each of them have good potential as I've run a lot of market comparisons to see what companies are actually using. Even though there are companies already offering SaaS in these industries, they all seem to be missing something - most commonly the support needed for companies that are not yet using these solutions. So while there's a large part of the market open (those not yet having automated online systems) the technical capabilities of my target markets are going to be low. That's a good thing as my solution can save them time and money and bring in more business in many cases. Having been a major believer in offering SUCS (superior unexpected customer service) for my side hustle, I think this is an area I can excel at.

Is it enough to offer a better quality service with SUCS and go after these clients, or will I just be setting myself up for more work supporting these new clients? The idea is to scale and improve upon things by bringing greater value than the competition. If it takes 1-2 hours per customer to get them up and going it feels like I will just be replacing one job for another (at least initially), but then if there's a $25-100 per month fee they pay, that's something that will continue on with minimal support anticipated over the coming months/years. I'm good at developing how to's and scripts to automate things, so if I encounter repetitive troubles I'm certain I can automate a large portion of the solutions required to help the scaling efforts.

Anyway that's all for now. I figured I should introduce myself if I'm going to be posting here and thanks to many of the inspiring posts that I've had the pleasure of reading over the last year or two!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
The best way to figure things out is to just do them... and figure it out as you go.

This thread kinds reflects that position...

Welcome to the forum.

stantechie

It’s never too late to hit the fast lane!
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Feb 6, 2020
Vancouver
The best way to figure things out is to just do them... and figure it out as you go.

This thread kinds reflects that position...

Welcome to the forum.
Good advice - get started and see how it goes, then adjust from there.

I'll have to see if there are any like-minded individuals on this forum that would like to help keep each other accountable. I have a hunch this forum will be good for that.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Good advice - get started and see how it goes, then adjust from there.

I'll have to see if there are any like-minded individuals on this forum that would like to help keep each other accountable. I have a hunch this forum will be good for that.

Here's an accountability partner thread...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...