The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

WTF: Robert Greene's writing in "The 50th law" is insufferable

For any book discussion

Samson II

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Sep 30, 2015
There are definitely gems here if you focus purely on the info from 50, but you'll have to wade through Greene continually giving his (often naive and banal) spin on things. Not to mention it is terribly boring, and that means a LOT coming from me. Also, if you are versed in world history, you will find his constant inaccuracies/ oversimplifications annoying.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
constant inaccuracies/ oversimplifications annoying.

Can you give an example? I haven't read the book but have heard it referenced many times.

Luffy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Dec 20, 2014
It's Robert Greene, I absolutely loved the book. I read it during the spring, one of the best books I've ever read along with TMF . Each lesson that comes from 50's lifestory is a gem, I didn't care too much for the historical anecdotes but I loved when Greene gives his opinion after the historical lessons. I don't know how you can be bored because 99% of the time I was hooked.

Samson II

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Sep 30, 2015
goddangit, I hear "John greene" so much in my english class i must have gotten them mixed up. I guess I could understand others liking it, I just didn't feel like Robert Greene actually had a real understanding of fearlessness like 50 does; like he understood it in theory, but didn't grok it (understandable, since the lives of Curtis Jackson and Robert Greene are about as far apart as possible). It was like a student writing a thesis for his degree in fearlesness(if such a thing existed). I would've much preferred it being written by 50 himself, but, that's just me.

Luffy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Dec 20, 2014
goddangit, I hear "John greene" so much in my english class i must have gotten them mixed up. I guess I could understand others liking it, I just didn't feel like Robert Greene actually had a real understanding of fearlessness like 50 does; like he understood it in theory, but didn't grok it (understandable, since the lives of Curtis Jackson and Robert Greene are about as far apart as possible). It was like a student writing a thesis for his degree in fearlesness(if such a thing existed). I would've much preferred it being written by 50 himself, but, that's just me.
He must have gotten approved by Fifty because they collaborated on it so we can't really critique that.

Samson II

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Sep 30, 2015
Can you give an example? I haven't read the book but have heard it referenced many times.
Greene claims Napolean was fearless (he probably was but for different reasons) because supposedly he lead his army through the alps to show them that it could be done. That's just a legend, however. He actually sent them several days ahead of him and then followed them on a smaller, less vulnerable trail.

Boozoon

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Sep 4, 2015
I think the way Greene polarised you is the reason he is so successful. He made you come into a forum, write a thread about how you don't like his work and probably send some new readers his way with your dislike.

You can dislike him all you want (personally I liked his 48 laws and the seduction book when I was younger) but man, you must study how he is able to make people love/hate him at the same time.

Also, if it was written by 50 himself it will probably get edited into a very "meh" version of the original. Just because he uses something, doesn't mean he understands it and then it doesn't mean that he is able to communicate his thoughts.

Finally, I believe that in the grand scheme of things, oversimplifications and inaccuracies, intended or not, help the writer make a point.

You might like "Me, INC" by Gene Simmons though, one of the few books written by a successful man that actually inspires and educates. You can never again complain that you work too much, until you read how much Gene worked before he even got started with music. I am not even suggesting How to get rich by Felix Dennis, it's up there along with TMF .

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
I liked the 50th law, although I agree with you on his writing being insufferable. He's so pompous sometimes it reads like a parody.
So? He's a writer. His job is to do research and convey information. Actually having lived following those principles is the reason 50-Cent was involved, I think.
Greene claims Napolean was fearless (he probably was but for different reasons) because supposedly he lead his army through the alps to show them that it could be done. That's just a legend, however. He actually sent them several days ahead of him and then followed them on a smaller, less vulnerable trail.
I don't understand your point. "Leading" an army doesn't mean being physically in the vanguard, and being fearless doesn't mean being stupid. Making a risky move that could cost you an army is fearless, being there and risking your life is beyond stupid when you have a country to rule.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Thread title changed from:
  • WTF: John Greene's writing in "The 50th law" is insufferable

to:
  • WTF: Robert Greene's writing in "The 50th law" is insufferable

Michael W.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Mar 2, 2009
Ok City, OK

So he still did, just embellished? Kind of like acting big when your small?

Carnage

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Sep 4, 2015
I didn't see that the Title was changed, so I was super confused at everyone saying "It's Robert Greene" hahaah

Mineralogic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jul 28, 2014
There are definitely gems here if you focus purely on the info from 50, but you'll have to wade through Greene continually giving his (often naive and banal) spin on things. Not to mention it is terribly boring, and that means a LOT coming from me. Also, if you are versed in world history, you will find his constant inaccuracies/ oversimplifications annoying.

His 48 laws was downright psychopathic....incredible the people falling over themselves on amazon reviewing it like its a religion

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago

While the OP may find Greene's writing insufferable, it doesn't change the fact that those living through insufferable situations often find a great deal of comfort and power in Greene's words.

Mineralogic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jul 28, 2014
Your values aren't the market's values.

Amazon has a massive fake reviewer problem. Everyone should be on notice right now for overliance on social media and reviews of products when decision making is needed to judge a market

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
I didn't see that the Title was changed, so I was super confused at everyone saying "It's Robert Greene" hahaah

Ironic that the critic of Greene's writing couldn't even seem to muster a well-written title. @Potente

His 48 laws was downright psychopathic....incredible the people falling over themselves on amazon reviewing it like its a religion

One sentence can't possibly suffice as an entire book review.

Indeed, some of the Laws seems psychopathic. Crush your enemy totally, for instance, seems out of the realm of sanity. However, if you are the CEO of a company, you need to focus on dominance, not competition.

Crushing the enemy, invading its markets, taking away its talent, even destroying their reputation - all of that is necessary within a specific context. I've known of far too many stories in which a leader neglected to heed this truth - and has the bite marks from reality's teeth to prove it.

Last edited:

Mr.Donnerhuhn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Aug 2, 2015
Interestingly enough, despite having written a book on power, Greene doesn't actually live by them. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...967/Why-Robert-Greene-isnt-who-you-think.html

Would anyone expect a person to live by all 48 of these laws in all situations with all people?

I find the 48 laws of power to be more of a guidebook of things to be aware of when dealing with sociopaths (of which plenty are CEO's, executives, politicians, VC's, etc...power, or at least the perception of it, is something they lust after)

Delmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY
Would anyone expect a person to live by all 48 of these laws in all situations with all people?

Of course not, if someone did live by all 48 laws, that person would need to be screened for psychopathy.

I find the 48 laws of power to be more of a guidebook of things to be aware of when dealing with sociopaths (of which plenty are CEO's, executives, politicians, VC's, etc...power, or at least the perception of it, is something they lust after)

"Only for knowledge and defense, never attack"

Mr.Donnerhuhn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Aug 2, 2015
Of course not, if someone did live by all 48 laws, that person would need to be screened for psychopathy.

hillary-clinton.jpg

JAMES-L67

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jan 24, 2014
I actually enjoyed the book.... I respect 50 and what he has achieved, and although the narratives were a little vain at times, I still came away with some useful info

ChrisJTurner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Mar 13, 2015
UK
Ive got the 50th Law on Audiobook, its free on Spotify.

It send me to sleep every single time, probably because the narration is boring.
However, have picked up gold nuggets of information; but I have long forgotten them.

Mineralogic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jul 28, 2014

exactly, but reading the book you will have a guidebook to how many of these people think and lead privately, and you can see how its injected into their public persona/policy at times as well

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
2016 is already starting out scary good.

It's not that I'm surprised, it's just that it's really nice to see that good, old-fashion, hard work - the kind I know @jon.a would respect - pays off.

@MJ DeMarco I appreciate the shout-out in the first copy of your first book. It was like you saw something in me, like a coach who secretly knew that the new kid on the roster runs a 3.64 second 40 yard dash, like you saw a spark that maybe even reminded you of yourself - in the same way that @Potente and @ChasingPaper and @Mattie and @Kingmaker and @juan917 and @theag and richkid/grumpycat/deleteduserXXX remind me of myself (which is why Ryan - RIP - and I clashed. We just didn't understand each other. What else would you expect from two competitive, super-freak geniuses LOL. I am sure, if I ever meet him, I will shake his hand and say "you won, bro." And he would shake mine and say "you won too, bro." And we will both be telling the truth.)

For those who find an entire list of 48 Laws a bit onerous, and have understandably had your tummies upset by some of the darker connotations, the downright evil ends that can be wrought, with the execution of Greene's work.

Greene essentially lays out a matrix of patterns that course throughout the human experience. These patterns reveal themselves time and again, in situation after situation, competition after competition, interaction after interaction, generation after generation, century after century, millennia after millennia...

universe after universe, multi-verse after multi-verse?

But I digress.

Greene concerns himself with the actions of human actors, whose actions hold weight, which affect the real world and other human actors around them.

It is a simple statement of logical fact that a series of certain actions leads to a very specific result, one that is so inescapable that one might mistake said "fate" or "destiny" with some concept born out of mysticism.

Eat lots of Mcdonald's burgers, and you'll get fat.

Drink too much beer, and you'll turn into a drunk.

Smoke too much weed, and you'll end up like Turtle from Entourage... Season 1. @theag

Do too many workouts, and you'll get so sexy that people will hit on you and check you out.

Hustle to hard and too long, and you'll end up successful, forced into the limelight by your successes, and be burdened with being the unmistakable provider in your family, the Alpha of the Pride.

Actions have consequences.

That's why I like making phone calls. Life can be so complicated. Making phone calls is simple.

Providing value is simple. Winning capitalism is simple.

No wonder Greene himself once remarked that, if he ever met someone who practiced all of his 48 Laws, that person would be quite an unpleasant person.

That person would be...

a MON$TAR.

What if Robert Greene has played a trick on all of us?

What if the Master has created a whole brand new breed of humanity, the Masters, the Masters of Masters...

Wickedly ridiculous?

The Most Masterful of Masters, whimsically working wizardry with the winning words of wisdom, capriciously counting colossal stockpiles of cash, playing not chess, but Go.

What if, in deep meditation, Greene composed his work in order to unleash upon the world a being perhaps too intense to be contained, unrestrained and set free from all of the former limitations of mere humanity.

Mere humanity, a repugnant existence.

Mere humanity.

Human, all too Human.

Last edited:

MrShah

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Jul 10, 2014

I disagree with you. Greene has is own style of breaking down complex things into simple and easy to understand context. He's probably one of those influential writers who writes controvential books. Each page is a gem, and each chapter have their own weight, and each it is true.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.