The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

WTF: Robert Greene's writing in "The 50th law" is insufferable

For any book discussion

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
I disagree with you. Greene has is own style of breaking down complex things into simple and easy to understand context. He's probably one of those influential writers who writes controvential books. Each page is a gem, and each chapter have their own weight, and each it is true.

Check out this thread.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Delmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY
No wonder Greene himself once remarked that, if he ever met someone who practiced all of his 48 Laws, that person would be quite an unpleasant person.

That person would be...

a MON$TAR.

What if Robert Greene has played a trick on all of us?

Actually, I believe he said a person who followed all 48 laws would probably be diagnosed with anti-personality disorder. After reading the book, I agree, that person would probably powerful, but I'm not sure he'd have too many meaningful relationships with people since many of the laws advocate for destroying people's trust. Each law is useful in various contexts, but using all 48 might get you power but at the expense of wealth.

I disagree with you. Greene has is own style of breaking down complex things into simple and easy to understand context. He's probably one of those influential writers who writes controvential books. Each page is a gem, and each chapter have their own weight, and each it is true.

To build on this, reading Greene for historical accuracy is flawed. If you want a history lesson, read a history text. If you want a fable about power that is based off history, Greene is the man to read.

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
Actually, I believe he said a person who followed all 48 laws would probably be diagnosed with anti-personality disorder. After reading the book, I agree, that person would probably powerful, but I'm not sure he'd have too many meaningful relationships with people since many of the laws advocate for destroying people's trust. Each law is useful in various contexts, but using all 48 might get you power but at the expense of wealth.

Lol.

So he says.

Then again, a practitioner of The 48 Laws would also know precisely that, the fact that certain laws apply only contextually. In the very preface of the book, it states that "playing the game" will make you a better lover, a better friend, a better everything. All of us play the game, whether we realize it or not, whether we want to admit it or not, whether we consciously and carefully do it or not. Some of us are simply more conscious about it than others.

To build on this, reading Greene for historical accuracy is flawed. If you want a history lesson, read a history text. If you want a fable about power that is based off history, Greene is the man to read.

The truth is not in the fables, and you should know this, if you've read and studied Greene. The truth is in the "Keys to Power," in the post-mayhem/post-transgression/post-observance of the law "fable," the part when he "breaks everything down." Much of the 50th Law is written in this manner.

Delmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY
Then again, a practitioner of The 48 Laws would also know precisely that, the fact that certain laws apply only contextually. In the very preface of the book, it states that "playing the game" will make you a better lover, a better friend, a better everything. All of us play the game, whether we realize it or not, whether we want to admit it or not, whether we consciously and carefully do it or not. Some of us are simply more conscious about it than others.

I'm reflecting on the laws of setting up a fall guy and keeping people in suspended terror. Those laws will do a lot to harm your reputation and make people not trust you (I know he offers various warnings about those 2).

The truth is not in the fables, and you should know this, if you've read and studied Greene. The truth is in the "Keys to Power," in the post-mayhem/post-transgression/post-observance of the law "fable," the part when he "breaks everything down." Much of the 50th Law is written in this manner.

I do, I think I worded it wrong. The fables are illustrations of his points in the transgressions, observations, and keys to power section. They entertain you and setup a situation that once he gets into the important parts, you can look back on and understand his point.

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
I'm reflecting on the laws of setting up a fall guy and keeping people in suspended terror. Those laws will do a lot to harm your reputation and make people not trust you (I know he offers various warnings about those 2).

The laws may sound terrible and bloody. Then again, perhaps - in this way - they merely reflect the contents of one's own mind.

More to the point, Greene points out that even the infamous Crush Your Enemy Totally Law depends on context.

Sun-Tzu said win without bloodshed. That's something to keep in mind as well, considering Greene's respect and dependence upon Eastern strategy.

tngsnow

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Oct 11, 2015
As I was getting less motivated in my craft because I wasn't getting results fast enough, I came across this chapter:

Chapter 8 - Respect the Process—Mastery

Fifty says (as he narrates it in the audiobook):

"The fools in life want things fast and easy-money, success, attention. Boredom is their great enemy and fear. Whatever they manage to get slips through their hands as fast as it comes in. You, on the other hand, want to outlast your rivals. You are building the foundation for something that can continue to expand. To make this happen, you will have to serve an apprenticeship. You must learn early on to endure the hours of practice and drudgery, knowing that in the end all of that time will translate into a higher pleasure—mastery of a craft and of yourself. Your goal is to reach the ultimate skill level—an intuitive feel for what must come next."

I recommend that anyone who is dealing with boredom and fear to read this book, it will show you the true path to becoming anything significant in this life. But only if you apply it on your life.

tngsnow

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Oct 11, 2015

Theory is nice. Application is better.

Listen to the recording in the context of PACE, construction, energy and energy efficiency.

@Cyriex
@axiom

Real eye opener, reminded me of Brazil, we are dealing with some deep shit here, unemployment everywhere, money changing to other hands, companies falling apart.

But besides all that chaos, there are people making money.

D

Deleted35442

Theory is nice. Application is better.

Listen to the recording in the context of PACE, construction, energy and energy efficiency.

@Cyriex
@axiom
Calling Greene psychopathic. Lol. Guys like this think playing capitalism takes place in a room full of velvet walls with plush cushions. Most guys here can only visualize where most of them are now: the starting point. Try making it to the point where you're in charge of a five hundred million plus company answering to a board and shareholders. The world is only getting more competitive and no matter what anybody tells you here there are many other people out there willing to do what you will not to scrape every last bit of market share out there. You know what students in business school used to read and still do to this day? Sun Tzu's Art of War. The modern day application of this is debatable but there's a reason for it. Think on that.

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
Calling Greene psychopathic. Lol. Guys like this think playing capitalism takes place in a room full of velvet walls with plush cushions. Most guys here can only visualize where most of them are now: the starting point. Try making it to the point where you're in charge of a five hundred million plus company answering to a board and shareholders. The world is only getting more competitive and no matter what anybody tells you here there are many other people out there willing to do what you will not to scrape every last bit of market share out there. You know what students in business school used to read and still do to this day? Sun Tzu's Art of War. The modern day application of this is debatable but there's a reason for it. Think on that.

Most people on the public section of this site (can't speak for the INSIDERS's group YET) aren't business people, bro. They don't call CEO's. They don't talk through deals with them.

Knowing what you're talking about isn't a prerequisite for typing on the internet.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.