The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Would you pay for a home delivery/shopping service currently (and in future)?

Genius01

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Dec 18, 2017
Nigeria
I'm considering setting up a home delivery service, possibly in partnership with someone.
Basically for someone to do your shopping for you at the retail stores (or other places), and deliver it to your doorstep, and save you the time and stress of queueing up and possible risks.
I have a few questions.

Would you use a home delivery service for shopping currently if it's available in your area? (As lockdown is being eased off in many places.)

How much would you pay for it now, ....say per delivery or whichever way you would prefer to pay (e.g. monthly or annual membership subscription).

More importantly,
Would you still want to use such a service say in like 6months or 1 years time, when the whole coronavirus thingy is over?
And if you would, how much would you be willing to pay for it at that time (I mean, on a normal day, without coronavirus).

It will help if you could state your city, for some context, as I believe different areas will be willing to pay different prices, depending on circumstances.

I've been researching it and trying to see if the numbers would work.

Thanks.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Pink Sheep

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Apr 29, 2019
It doesnt matter what we think. Ask the market.

D

Deleted78083

I would do it if I were a busy employee living far away from the closest supermarket. Honestly, it is a good idea, try it, maybe first for people that have all the reasons not to go to the supermarket.

Genius01

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Dec 18, 2017
Nigeria
It doesnt matter what we think. Ask the market.
Lol, in this case, "You" are part of the potential market...or most people are.
That's why I'm asking you and others.

Genius01

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Dec 18, 2017
Nigeria
I would do it if I were a busy employee living far away from the closest supermarket. Honestly, it is a good idea, try it, maybe first for people that have all the reasons not to go to the supermarket.
Thanks, yes...I guess it will mainly be for people that are typically too busy to go to the supermarket. Or for some reason want to avoid the semi-crowded environment of supermarkets this period.

Aron

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Mar 26, 2019
hey,

Had a similar idea, decided to not go for it.
Here is why:

1) I think one problem could be that due to long queues the price for paying the person, who actually goes shopping rises to an level, where people don´t want pay for it anymore.

2) Aleast in germany(where I live) the big supermarktes already offer such a service. You can choose, whether you want the collected purchase to pick up at the store or be delivered to your door.
Fee for someone collecting your purchase and then picking it up is like 3$.
They have extra checkouts for employees picking, which leads to a disadvantage, if you want to compete with them.

Nevertheless, the situation in your city could be different and worth a try. But keep in mind, wheter you want to compete with big supermarkets in the long run.
Maybe a collaboration with those could be a solution to solve the queue and competition problem.

Ismail941

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
May 7, 2019
Give it to a try, test/experiment it, validate it and see what is going on

Genius01

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Dec 18, 2017
Nigeria
hey,

Had a similar idea, decided to not go for it.
Here is why:

1) I think one problem could be that due to long queues the price for paying the person, who actually goes shopping rises to an level, where people don´t want pay for it anymore.

2) Aleast in germany(where I live) the big supermarktes already offer such a service. You can choose, whether you want the collected purchase to pick up at the store or be delivered to your door.
Fee for someone collecting your purchase and then picking it up is like 3$.
They have extra checkouts for employees picking, which leads to a disadvantage, if you want to compete with them.

Nevertheless, the situation in your city could be different and worth a try. But keep in mind, wheter you want to compete with big supermarkets in the long run.
Maybe a collaboration with those could be a solution to solve the queue and competition problem.
You raised some valid points there.
They're definitely things to keep in mind.
I'm still weighing it whether it's worth it.

Genius01

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Dec 18, 2017
Nigeria
Give it to a try, test/experiment it, validate it and see what is going on
The first step to trying it out is to seek for basic feedback, which is what I'm doing.
Don't want to just jump in blindly without evaluating what people's response to it is likely to be.

TheWriter

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Jan 24, 2020
A cool place
I'm considering setting up a home delivery service, possibly in partnership with someone.
Basically for someone to do your shopping for you at the retail stores (or other places), and deliver it to your doorstep, and save you the time and stress of queueing up and possible risks.
I have a few questions.

Would you use a home delivery service for shopping currently if it's available in your area? (As lockdown is being eased off in many places.)

How much would you pay for it now, ....say per delivery or whichever way you would prefer to pay (e.g. monthly or annual membership subscription).

More importantly,
Would you still want to use such a service say in like 6months or 1 years time, when the whole coronavirus thingy is over?
And if you would, how much would you be willing to pay for it at that time (I mean, on a normal day, without coronavirus).

It will help if you could state your city, for some context, as I believe different areas will be willing to pay different prices, depending on circumstances.

I've been researching it and trying to see if the numbers would work.

Thanks.

Similar services are already available in many countries:

rc08234

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Jun 29, 2011
South Jersey
I use to do this for a supermarket chain. I worked for a 3rd party company who had a contract with the supermarket. The supermarket charged the customer 5$ to shop it and 5$ to deliver. The people that shopped it were employed by the supermarket, however we the delivery drivers weren't. I never figured out how the company I worked for made money

Genius01

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Dec 18, 2017
Nigeria
Similar services are already available in many countries:

Thanks, that actually suggests there is a market for it. The price point will probably be the key issue.
Meanwhile, the article you quoted seems to have been generated by an article spinner, it literally gave me a headache when I was reading it all through.

I use to do this for a supermarket chain. I worked for a 3rd party company who had a contract with the supermarket. The supermarket charged the customer 5$ to shop it and 5$ to deliver. The people that shopped it were employed by the supermarket, however we the delivery drivers weren't. I never figured out how the company I worked for made money
Lol, I guess it must operate on really narrow margins....like most big retail stores do.
Efficiency of operations and cost minimization will be key.

Isn’t that what Favor does?
Thanks for mentioning it, yes...more or less.
I've looked them up and I can see they've scaled back their operations from several states to focus on Texas alone in order to achieve profitability (which they did after 5-6years of operation).
I'm looking at a way to run things more efficiently and with much less overhead.

Lyinx

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 28, 2019
Lancaster County, PA
In my local area there are a few services like this, I didn't check into it lately, but at that time they were charging +10% on top of cost (and most likely a minimum fee)
They probably buy the more popular supplies from the store at a case price and store it so they can make a few extra bucks, but that's up to them to do that.

Genius01

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Dec 18, 2017
Nigeria
Isn't this what taskrabbit and instacart do?
Yes, they both do similar things in various forms.
TaskRabbit- is for all types of tasks, from home delivery to plumbing and handyman services.
Instacart is focused on food/groceries mainly.
I think there are a number of companies/services in the home delivery space doing things in various ways, with varying models and in different locations.
I still think there is some space to play though....don't know for sure....but then, no one ever knows for sure until they actually enter the market.

In my local area there are a few services like this, I didn't check into it lately, but at that time they were charging +10% on top of cost (and most likely a minimum fee)
They probably buy the more popular supplies from the store at a case price and store it so they can make a few extra bucks, but that's up to them to do that.
Thanks for the figures/estimates on pricing.
Any particular reason you preferred not to use those local services at the time? (I'm inferring you didn't use them).
Was it majorly the cost? Or awareness...or simply natural inertia of trying something new?

Lyinx

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 28, 2019
Lancaster County, PA
Yes, they both do similar things in various forms.
TaskRabbit- is for all types of tasks, from home delivery to plumbing and handyman services.
Instacart is focused on food/groceries mainly.
I think there are a number of companies/services in the home delivery space doing things in various ways, with varying models and in different locations.
I still think there is some space to play though....don't know for sure....but then, no one ever knows for sure until they actually enter the market.

Thanks for the figures/estimates on pricing.
Any particular reason you preferred not to use those local services at the time? (I'm inferring you didn't use them).
Was it majorly the cost? Or awareness...or simply natural inertia of trying something new?
Actually, was a much more simple reason... I live at home and dad does all the shopping :)
I've seen our grocery bill years ago when it was $300+/week (8 children plus dad and Mom eat a LOT of food), might not be exact...
so, if you spend $30 to get it delivered to you, or spend half an hour shopping (since your on the road anyway) then it's not a big deal.
However, If I would be indoors and watching the news every day right now and scared to death? I'd pay to have someone bring food to me (until I run out of money of course).
If I would have to do my own shopping (which will happen next year) then I'd probably either go or might re-consider such a service at that time. the stores that I shop at are small stores in the country so I doubt that they would work very well with places like instacart or such.

In my area, if you would start the business, I'd focus on locally grown items and would source it from local growers.
If I'd be in your shoes, I'd rather have a catalog/list (one paper with all the options on it) so that they could write on it what they want/checkmark each item? with a section to add other items. Be straight up-front with your customers, tell them if you are buying directly from the stores or if you stock items there.
I'd probably push to own a small reefer at my property with frozen goods so that I could buy case lots/skid lots at good prices of the most popular items.
I'd also push for people to text a photo of their order in and I'll show up at their door with the items on a certain day (depending on population density you could deliver every day or one day out of the week in certain areas so you don't have the mileage.) Alternatively, you could set up a "drop site" if you're in a high population area, all they need to do is go to the end of the development/street/etc.. and pickup their prepaid orders.

Prepaying orders is a big thing if you don't want them to change their mind!

Genius01

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Dec 18, 2017
Nigeria
Actually, was a much more simple reason... I live at home and dad does all the shopping :)
I've seen our grocery bill years ago when it was $300+/week (8 children plus dad and Mom eat a LOT of food), might not be exact...
so, if you spend $30 to get it delivered to you, or spend half an hour shopping (since your on the road anyway) then it's not a big deal.
However, If I would be indoors and watching the news every day right now and scared to death? I'd pay to have someone bring food to me (until I run out of money of course).
If I would have to do my own shopping (which will happen next year) then I'd probably either go or might re-consider such a service at that time. the stores that I shop at are small stores in the country so I doubt that they would work very well with places like instacart or such.

In my area, if you would start the business, I'd focus on locally grown items and would source it from local growers.
If I'd be in your shoes, I'd rather have a catalog/list (one paper with all the options on it) so that they could write on it what they want/checkmark each item? with a section to add other items. Be straight up-front with your customers, tell them if you are buying directly from the stores or if you stock items there.
I'd probably push to own a small reefer at my property with frozen goods so that I could buy case lots/skid lots at good prices of the most popular items.
I'd also push for people to text a photo of their order in and I'll show up at their door with the items on a certain day (depending on population density you could deliver every day or one day out of the week in certain areas so you don't have the mileage.) Alternatively, you could set up a "drop site" if you're in a high population area, all they need to do is go to the end of the development/street/etc.. and pickup their prepaid orders.

Prepaying orders is a big thing if you don't want them to change their mind!
Fantastic post, with fantastic tips there.
Thanks a bunch!!

S.Y.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 4, 2017
Canada
I would, for groceries.

On the same subject,what I will definitely pay for is:
- a service that will create plant based meal plans with simple recipes (by nutritionist or people that know enough to create balanced meal plans)
- shop the ingredients locally for me (using services like lufa farms when in season and groceries stores when not)
- add on the go things like Soylent as an option
- deliver them to me
- all at a decent price

THAT! I will be interested

Isn't this what taskrabbit and instacart do?

+ doordash and certain groceries stores here in Montreal.

Genius01

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Dec 18, 2017
Nigeria
Sorry about that. I just googled the term and shared with you the first link that popped up.

Lol, thanks all the same, still got some useful nuggets from the article despite the headaches. :)

I would, for groceries.

On the same subject,what I will definitely pay for is:
- a service that will create plant based meal plans with simple recipes (by nutritionist or people that know enough to create balanced meal plans)
- shop the ingredients locally for me (using services like lufa farms when in season and groceries stores when not)
- add on the go things like Soylent as an option
- deliver them to me
- all at a decent price

THAT! I will be interested

+ doordash and certain groceries stores here in Montreal.
Thanks a lot man!
Interesting perspective.
Specialty niche shopping and delivery.....in this case vegan.
Makes a whole lot of sense.
I would happily deliver the first one to you free of charge if I ever get to set up something like this in Montreal.
Same with @Lyinx for his fantastic tips, lol.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.