The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.
Marketing, social media, advertising

01Ascension

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Aug 14, 2018
I want to build a website for my business. Can you guys give some guidance on which platform should I go with WordPress or Shopify?
I have been doing this thing for a couple of years now, so I think I can advice on this.

If you just want a business portfolio website = Wordpress
If you want an ecommerce store,
Wordpress + WooCommerce if you are on a budget,
Shopify if you can afford it.

Both WooCommerce and Shopify are equally good and versatile to various customizations.
If your website is going to have a huge traffic, large number of products or you don't like dabbling with servers and web hosting providers, go with Shopify from the start.

Goodfella999

My biggest regret is not starting sooner
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Apr 29, 2022
South FL
I tried woocommerce years ago and it had more coding knowledge necessary than shopify

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
I want to build a website for my business. Can you guys give some guidance on which platform should I go with WordPress or Shopify?
It depends, what business are you running? Is it an eCommerce store? Are you running service-based business? Consulting?

WordPress would be the way to go for regular businesses. Shopify isn't a bad choice either for Product-based businesses. I have never tried WooCommerce though.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
If it's an eCom store, go Shopify and get the Kalles theme from Themeforest. It comes with lifetime Shopify page builder + tons of eCom plugins so you don't end up getting 'death by a thousand cuts' by Shopify's nickel-and-dime for each app you use.

Jane Oliver

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Dec 29, 2022
I have been doing this thing for a couple of years now, so I think I can advice on this.

If you just want a business portfolio website = Wordpress
If you want an ecommerce store,
Wordpress + WooCommerce if you are on a budget,
Shopify if you can afford it.

Both WooCommerce and Shopify are equally good and versatile to various customizations.
If your website is going to have a huge traffic, large number of products or you don't like dabbling with servers and web hosting providers, go with Shopify from the start.
Hello, Can suggest some good agency with affordable prices?

Jane Oliver

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Dec 29, 2022
It depends, what business are you running? Is it an eCommerce store? Are you running service-based business? Consulting?

WordPress would be the way to go for regular businesses. Shopify isn't a bad choice either for Product-based businesses. I have never tried WooCommerce though.
Hey,
suggest some good agency with affordable prize.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
I tried Shopify for a year. A nightmare! I d never touch that shit again.

Wordpress and Woocomerce is work to come to a success, but in the end your tome spent will be no more than with the shopify crap.
If I ever have to make a shop again, I ll ask an agency to do it.

Jeix

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Oct 1, 2018
Milan, Italy
We've been having a good time with shopify, we sell collectible products like card games, board games and such both in person and on our ecommerce.

An agency asked us €11,000 to develop a woocommerce wordpress website. We didn't want to invest that kind of money. We found a good an trustworthy freelancer on upwork who recommended us a designer they knew. We were able to set up our store in less than 2 months. We paid the developer about €2000 and €1000 to the designer. The developer was also willing to help us out in the long run with all of our needs and did some very important tweaks according to what we wanted for an extra €500 over the course of the month following the launch. He's still with us and is paid by the hour only when we need him, it's great.

There's two main things me and my partners like about shopify.
The first is that you get a website ready to go with all the technical side taken care of, you don't need to worry about security, hosting or anything like that, it's a ready-made solution and it's great if you are starting up because the basic plan will be more than enough and it's quite cheap for what it is.
The second is that every major website has a built-in integration with shopify that can be easily set up with a few clicks. For example, let's say you want to advertise on google. You don't need to create a custom ad for every product you have. All you have to do is connect your shopify to your google ads account and the software will automatically create ads using your products and show them to the people they think are looking for them. This has been a big winner for us during this recent Christmas, a lot of people found us while looking up gifts to buy on google and we made sales.
Similarly, instagram has a shop feature that lets you integrate your shopify store in a native experience within the app.
All of these shortcuts can help out a lot when you are starting out because they give you something that's good enough to start without requiring much attention from you.

I'm sure that once your business is big enough you'll want more freedom in what your website can do and you might want to consider other services but it seems to me like you are just starting out so I'm sharing my experience from our business which is also relatively new.
Hope that helps!

Jane Oliver

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Dec 29, 2022

heya my business is e-commerce store. What would be your recommendation on what would be the best?

monnffffiiiiiii

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Oct 16, 2022
I tried Shopify for a year. A nightmare! I d never touch that shit again.

Wordpress and Woocomerce is work to come to a success, but in the end your tome spent will be no more than with the shopify crap.
If I ever have to make a shop again, I ll ask an agency to do it.
Can you elaborate?

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
heya my business is e-commerce store. What would be your recommendation on what would be the best?

My favor goes to Shopify Starting on the $30 dollar plan.

monnffffiiiiiii

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Oct 16, 2022
If it's an eCom store, go Shopify and get the Kalles theme from Themeforest. It comes with lifetime Shopify page builder + tons of eCom plugins so you don't end up getting 'death by a thousand cuts' by Shopify's nickel-and-dime for each app you use.
Could you elaborate?

Xeon

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore

Xeon

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Why this theme specifically?

Are there other teams where you get free plugins and services?

Are there any other ways to reduce your Shopify bill?

Because it's the one with the highest review (or among the top 2 - 3 highest) on Themeforest and has lifetime access to a 3rd party pagebuilder tool (which by itself would cost $xx.xx / month just for that). I've seen the demo thoroughly and if I were to move to Shopify, this would be the setup I would get. The theme itself also has all the eCommerce add-ons like the sticky Add to Cart for mobile versions, something which, again, requires additional paid apps to achieve. $5 here, $5 there, for each and every funtion you need, adds up to a lot for people who're low on capital and trying to bootstrap.

With this theme, you pretty much pay $29.90 monthly for Shopify only, for a decent eCom store, unless you need some unique add-ons. This is as low as it gets.

I don't remember coming across other themes that are better than this one. I guess the thing that really attracts me the most is the page builder; I'm not going to spend tons on cash for those expensive ones like GemPages, Shogun or PageFly.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
Can you elaborate?
I don t know, how to say.
I tried to make a shop with Shopify for about 3 months. The entire Sopify system si confused for me. No logical construction.
Maybe its because I m no native English speaker or because I began my coding career with Basic and C and didnt develop it into Generation Z thinking.
So imo everithing is better than Shopify. Not one single conection to any fullfilment provider I tried did ever work.

So after 3 months I gave up and didnt look back.

Only my expieriences.

Doris221649

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jun 13, 2023
Regardless of whether you have relevant website building and Internet experience before, Shopify's simple UI and website building guide can allow you to quickly complete a series of seemingly complicated operations such as binding domain names, decorating stores, and launching new products.

Highly customizable is the biggest feature of Wordpress. Because it positions itself as an open source content management system, you can implement various powerful functions on your website through WordPress plug-ins.

If you are a new seller, choose Shopify.

But if you are an e-commerce seller with some basics, and even have your own technical team, Wordpress is actually a better choice in the long run.

Doris221649

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jun 13, 2023
If you need greater customization flexibility and complete control over your website, as well as some understanding of the technical aspects, then choosing WordPress is a good choice. If you want to quickly create an eCommerce-focused online store with more focus on user experience and ease of management, then Shopify might be right for you. The final decision should be made based on your specific needs and capabilities.

nopalmer

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Feb 7, 2023
My former colleague started an eCommerce business and is using Shopify. He had some minor issues here and there, but overall he's happy with it. A good marketing strategy, though, is what makes all the difference. Going toward personalized recommendations or cross channel marketing gives excellent results in the eCommerce industry. For example, consistent branding across all platforms can increase revenue by up to 23%, as a recent study shows. So, keep in mind possible integrations as a factor when deciding on which platform to use. Make sure you'll be able to implement the best marketing strategy down the road. And be willing to invest. Whatever you save by using a free plan or doing things by yourself (both are good ways if you know how), try to invest in improving your chances for success. Talking about paid ads, software purchases, starting a blog on your website, link-building... Put some extra effort and aim higher.

Subsonic

How you do anything is how you do everything
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Aug 16, 2022
Germany
Use html, css and js with stripe integration raw.
Nothing better than a fully hand coded ecom site.
Oh, also buy yourself a server pc and set up your own web hosting server for full control and some experience with c1 and sql.

(If you want to needlessly suffer)

Panos Daras

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Oct 10, 2022
I kicked off my web journey with WooCommerce and WordPress. With a shitload of effort, numerous ChatGPT prompts, and a bucketful of trial and error, I finally scraped together a website that didn't completely suck. But soon, WordPress, true to its reputation, began to kick up a storm.

Just to paint you a picture: One fine morning, my website layout decided to have a midlife crisis. It changed randomly, and I hadn't the foggiest idea why. So, I'm stuck searching through Google, trying to decode this mystery - wasted a whole F*ckin day on that mess. And don't even get me started on the hell that is WooCommerce. Basic stuff like changing the cart layout was like trying to do quantum physics. And altering button-cart color and link color? An absolute nightmare.

For shits and giggles, I decided to give Shopify a whirl. I kid you not, I had a functional site up and running within an hour, without any tutorial bullshit. I also took BigCommerce for a spin, but their back end looked like a teenager's bedroom. But Shopify? Everything's right where you need it, and the design is geared to convert customers - which is what bloody matters, not my pathetic attempts to stroke my ego with artistic website design.

Plus, setting up analytics in Shopify is a piece of cake, unlike WordPress, where I'm constantly pestered with popups screaming at me to buy the full version of the plugin. And when the plugins update, they completely screw over the ones that haven't - a total shitshow!

So here's the bottom line. I'm packing up and heading to Shopify this week. I'm done with the drama of seemingly cheap but ultimately expensive solutions.

And while I'm at it, I'm shaking things up with other cheap-but-shit solutions. So, goodbye Notion, hello Monday. I pay more but I don't care

oliviyaa

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jul 3, 2023
USA
Here are some things to consider when choosing between WordPress and Shopify for your business website:

WordPress:

• More flexibility and customization options. You have full control over the design and features of your site.
• Wider range of eCommerce plugins. You can integrate many different payment gateways, shipping carriers, etc.
• Less expensive, especially for basic websites. WordPress is free to use.
• Better for more complex websites with lots of pages and features.

Shopify:

• Easy to set up and use. No technical knowledge required.
• Made specifically for online stores. It has all the core eCommerce features built-in.
• More professionally designed store templates.
• Easier updates and maintenance. Shopify handles all the backend work.
• Higher transaction and subscription fees.
• Better for simpler online stores with fewer customizations needed.

Overall, WordPress gives you more flexibility and customization at a lower cost, while Shopify is easier to set up and manage for simple online stores focused mainly on eCommerce. Some businesses start with Shopify and transition to WordPress as their needs grow in complexity.

Hope this helps!

sanderdehoogh

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Jul 3, 2023
Having worked with a bunch of platforms, here's my take.

Give Wordpress a wide berth. Its incredibly versatile and the most used platform in the world, but I found it unreliable because of the various plugins that won't work together nicely. When we ran a company website on Wordpress we would regularly run into issues with security, compatibility and underlying code, ending with taking the whole website down.

I have no extensive experience with Shopify.

One we've worked with a lot now is Hubspot. Originally it was built as a marketing platform and over the years they've now expanded into website, marketing, sales and ticketing. I have always found it super easy to work with, as long as you stick to standard templates. Big benefit is the integration- once your website is up and running you'll also have a CRM, marketing etc. system going. The cost is similar to Shopify and it will integrate with Stripe very nicely for payments.

So I'd say- broaden the search and have a look at that one too. Let me know if you'd like to know more, our website has just launched and I am happy to share how it worked for us.

LuisovvV

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Sep 7, 2022
i would choose wordpress and WooCommerce. It has a bit of a learning curve bit in the end it is a lot more versatile. U can do literally anything with it thanks to the plugins available. Good luck.

Financial_Femme

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
Jun 11, 2023
Oliviyaa could not have said it better, in the end it is all about scaling isn't. Start with Shopify, and then when you have gained the traction you want move to WordPress.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.