• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. The forum software will be upgraded on Sunday May 26th and may not look normal during the transition. Some functionality may be offline. This is TEMPORARY and is expected to last up to 8 hours.
  2. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Why spelling is important.

Discussion in 'General Entrepreneur Discussion' started by Russ H, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Russ H

Russ H Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,420
    This is a topic that has been mentioned, on occasion, to bloggers and others who have written e-books or websites and want feedback.

Namely, that if you put your work out there and want to be perceived as professional, you need to write properly.

Or, you need to hire someone to edit your crud so that you can get your message across without turning off the reader. :)

We hang out on the tripadvisor forums to help travelers, and here is a GREAT example (posted today) of how an earnest assessment can become ridiculous when spelling is bad:

I did keep reading after I hit the first few snags, but my respect for the writer diminished significantly.

Sadly, their lowball score is what tripadvisor uses, so the damage will be done, spelling or no.

So here goes: How many of you think I'm just being Obsessive Compulsive here?

When you write something online, how important is spelling/grammar to you?

Do you feel that others make too much of this?

-Russ H.

PS Just for fun: How many spelling errors can you find in the review above?

2. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $404,781
    Admin Post
    Russ you aren't OCD ... you bring to light a problem I see more and more. Now, I admit I make spelling errors all the time ... however, these horrific diatribes are more common than not and it isn't just spelling ...

Improper capitalization / No capitalization
    No use of periods
    No use of commas

Just look at the comments on most blogs ... most write in this unfinished fashion. Web 2.0 has struck a light on the grammatically deficient.

Now if I wrote this instead, would anyone take me seriously?

Russ you aren't ocd you bring to light a problem I see more and more now i admit i make spelling errors all the time however these horrific diatribes are more common than not and it isn't just spelling improper capitalization no capitalization no use of periods o use of commas just look at the comments on most blogs most write in this unfinished fashion web 2.0 has struck a light on the grammatically deficient

3. rcardin

rcardin Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $81
    Is it just the spelling that bothers you or the overall grammar? Being a teacher I am used to reading much worse than this. As an Adult I would hope you could at least get the spelling correct.

4. Allthingznew

Allthingznew Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $95
    I think in forums and such typos will happen, but the example above is painful to read. sorry, I might have been willing to count before I started reading, but I'm not going to read it again. :smx4:

I don't think you're off base, words have meaning. I am often derailed when someone even misuses a word in conversation because I know what it means and that's the direction my mind follows. Sometimes I can just chuckle to myself and sometimes I am thoroughly confused.

I'm guilty in forums of my fingers moving slower than my mind moves and a proof read can often be a good idea. I also appreciate reading good writing.

5. Luke12321

Luke12321 Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $934
    I agree. I grew up on instant messaging and short-hand lingo started with that. Text messaging has taken it to a new extreme level. I am not someone who text non-stop like some but I have actually caught myself in college classes using the lingo. Sometimes not even knowing it until I go back and proofread my paper! I guess if you are texting and then start writing, the mind has a hard time switching back and forth sometimes?

I think the problem is only going grow....especially when the kids who have been texting since age Eight starts publishing online.

6. Luke12321

Rep Bank:
    $934
    Have you witnessed any lingo in papers?

Such as:

lol, brb, rotfl

7. Runum

Runum Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $12,839
    No I don't think you're being too picky Russ. However, I think that spelling, like handwriting, is becoming a lost art for several reasons. One of the main reasons is the computer. The students are taught keyboarding in middle school, which they need. One of the first things they discover is spell check. They don't understand the limitations of the system and they don't really care. I really do believe that one does lose credibility with repeated grammatical and spelling errors.:cheers:

8. Luke12321

Rep Bank:
    $934
    Good point. Spell checking does kill the need to worry about spelling. I speed through papers and then use spell-check. Just easier that way for me....

9. JScott

JScott Legendary Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $46,582
    Yes, but only because you used the term "diatribe"... :)

Seriously, when someone can't communicate, I often chalk it up to laziness (they either didn't bother to learn, or don't bother to be rigorous about what they did learn). And if someone is going to be lazy, they probably won't succeed anyway, so I'm not going to waste my time.

That said, sometimes poor communication is more attributable to language barrier, and that's completely different. If someone is attempting to learn a new language, that's the opposite of laziness, and I'll go out of my way to try to decipher the info and help.

Now that I think about it, perhaps my desire for rigor in this area comes from the fact that I wrote software for a long time...when you write software, one misplaced semi-colon can ruin your whole week... :)

10. yveskleinsky

yveskleinsky Bronze Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,743
    Poor spelling in certain venues I can handle. I understand that not everyone is a fantastic speller, and that's okay on in certain venues. ...But there is a difference between being a poor speller and just not caring. Russ' example illustrates the point of someone just not caring.

Frankly, to me writing is an expression of who you are- and matters just as much as your appearance if not more so if it's published! If someone writes/posts something that is just sloppy, to me it's the same as them showing up in person looking like a hobo and demanding respect and credibility. If a person doesn't care how they appear, then I don't take too much of my time trying to figure out who "they really are". I'm also a firm believe in that how someone does something is generally how they do everything. ...I don't have the time or the energy in an attempt to unscramble what someone is trying to say. If they don't care enough, well, neither do I.

11. Bilgefisher

Bilgefisher Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $413
    On a forum it really doesn't bother me, but I tend to agree that in a professional setting it sticks out. If your job is a writer, then the public face of your business is the words on a page. Your customers (readers) use that to evaluate your performance.

Does a plumber need to worry about the grammatical flow of his sentences when writing a letter. No, its not his job. But he better be damn sure on the job he acts professionally, has quality craftsmanship and the plumbing has no leaks. The customers use these items to evaluate his performance.

12. JScott

JScott Legendary Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $46,582
  13. LightHouse

LightHouse Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $30,763
    50 bux sez everyone in here speels right

Seriously though, I tend to not double check everything when I post because I am moving so fast. After awhile it was suggested I get IE7 Pro with a built in spell check. That has help significantly.

It's not that I can't write or I am illiterate, but that I'm short of time.

14. rcardin

rcardin Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $81
    I'm not picking on you or your beliefs but ......

We were in Corpus Christie the 2nd week of June camping. We had a nice 23ft travel trailer but it was getting too small for the 3 of us. We decided to get some air and go LOOK at a new RV. We had been on the beach for 3 days now. Hair was wind blown, beach shorts and a tee shirt, I had a 3 or 4 day beard going not to mention a pony tail half way down my back, and toting our 11 year old dressed like us. We stopped at the first dealer and the guy was cordial and showed us what we wanted. We told him we would go talk about it and might come back.
    The next stop we encountered the dumbest salesman I have ever seen. The first question he asked my wife was" Are you planing on living in it?" That was the deciding factor right there of where we were going to spend our money.

We went back to the first dealer and he was surprised to see us back. We filled out the app and he entered it in. In his mind he never thought we would have a chance based on appearance. When he ran the credit score he looked up and said he didn't even have to get phone approval based on the credit score. We picked up our new travel trailer the next day.

Moral is: beware of first impressions based on appearance.

15. Allthingznew

Allthingznew Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $95
    So your words are spelled correctly, but it doesn't stop misuse.

There, their, they're
    Base, bass
    Bear, bare
    Tear, tare
    To, too

You get the idea.

16. yveskleinsky

Rep Bank:
    $1,743
    For the most part I agree with you. If I am in a position of selling something to someone, I don't judge their appearance. I've worked in RE too long to do that!

However, if someone is wanting something from me (feedback, a date, a job etc.) then I expect them to put some effort in.

17. Luke12321

Rep Bank:
    $934
    I agree with you 100%. I work with so many kids out of high school who speak/write terrible and it does hurt my image of them. Even if I know they are a hard working...smart person, it makes me think less of them. Why? Because like someone said, it mostly because of being lazy!

18. JScott

Rep Bank:
    $46,582
    I don't lump appearance and communication together...

Appearance doesn't mean much to me (unless it's plain old dirty/unclean), and living in Silicon Valley, I've learned that the unshaven guy in blue jeans and a t-shirt most likely has a lot more money than the guy in the suit...

But communication is different. If you can't communicate, you can't strategically try to acquire your wants, you can't negotiate, you can't compromise, and you'll have a hard time trying to achieve your goals...

Just my $.02...certainly not trying to judge...

19. JScott

Rep Bank:
    $46,582
    I don't think Russ was referring to the occasional spelling mistake or missed punctuation. He was more referring to those people who write in such a way as to make it difficult to ascertain what they are thinking and trying to communicate...

20. biophase

biophase Legendary Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $189,580
    I rarely use spell check. I don't even use it in MSword. I usually reread what I type and catch any spelling errors then. Most of the time, I change the post when I reread it to improve the grammar or structure.

Regarding the food review in the original post, the spelling errors make the person's critique of the restaurant lose value. It could be a 12 year old kid writing a review. It could be a person who has never visited this restaurant. We can't believe that a person who actually visited the restaurant and has such a palette would write so poorly and would be satisfied to put his or her name on that review.

21. JScott

Rep Bank:
    $46,582
    I do the same thing, especially on this forum. I probably average about 2-3 edits per post in this forum, as I often catch misspellings and poor wording that I decide to change...

Actually, I wish there was a way to find out how much edits I've done to see what my typical post-to-edit ratio is... :)

22. I85

I85 Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $53
    I agree with this. However, being able to spell does not equate to being able to communicate with your peers. At least not in my opinion.

Poor grammar and spelling do not really bother me. However, when I start to get a head ache "trying" to read something poorly written...that's a different story. :bgh:

23. yveskleinsky

Rep Bank:
    $1,743
    It depends on your audience. I would argue to say that lax communication skills are like bad manners- they're not that important around close friends and family, but generally important to everyone else. If you are in sales of any kind, (and pretty much every aspect of life is sales- from dating to business and everything in between) then it's important to realize that your "ads" are only as good as their weakest elements. Meaning, when prospects are reading your ad copy and they come across a mistakes with grammar and spelling or typos, inconsistencies, sloppiness etc. they get a little question mark over their head. If your prospect has enough questions marks over their head they quickly discard your message as being junk.

24. JScott

Rep Bank:
    $46,582
    But if you really want to get ahead in life/business, it's not your peers that you need to successfully communicate with...it's your bosses, your customers, your vendors, your employees, etc...

25. I85

I85 Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $53
    I agree. We are all humans. Occasionally we will leave a question mark over someone's head. That is no big deal, imo. However, when you leave them with 10 question marks over their head......different story.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.