The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Why is mentor important in our journey?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Katherine

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
248%
Mar 11, 2019
Singapore
Just sharing: Over the long weekend, my family and I went prawning and my son got bored and wanted to catch the yabby. After struggling to catch one for 40 minutes, a kind stranger in his late 50s came over and showed my son how to catch them without bait! He took the time to coach my son and within 15 minutes, he caught 3 yabbys!

This got me thinking about the importance of having mentors in our lives. Just like the uncle who generously shared his knowledge, having someone to guide and teach us can make a world of difference. This is especially true in entrepreneurship where having a mentor can speed up our learning process and help us avoid costly mistakes.

A good takeaway for me: Be humble and open-minded to learn from experts in our field. Who knows, they might just have the key to unlocking our success! Thank to the Uncle who taught my son how to catch yabby and for reminding me of the importance of having mentors in our lives.

20230602_125632.jpg

20230602_125821.jpg

P/S: Next day, we had a delicious homecooked yabby and seafood lunch with creamy tomato sauce :p

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Thanks for sharing the life story!

We used to have threads here in this forum, talking about how it's way better to go without a mentor, and to just learn from books or online courses (the ones that only give you some videos and slides, that is). Folks somehow think its a lot cheaper and faster.

I think that represents lots of self-limiting beliefs and fears.

The truth is that every industry on the planet is here today...because someone mentored somebody to become titans.
Even your average corporate prisoner has a mentor, although he may not know it.

I also think the human connection that mentors bring is extremely vital.

We live in a dark world where people have forgotten to have empathy, care and patience. For a quick example, why is the food & beverage industry filled with shitty tales of rude waiters and chefs? They simply weren't mentored to exercise empathy and care. But I find this has spread to so many other businesses I deal with daily now...

That being said, mentors are humans...and will have their weaknesses.

Some might be grumpy...some may have more pride than is necessary...some may also stray outside their area of competence once in awhile...

I don't think human weaknesses should have us shying away from mentors.

Instead, it's an opportunity to learn lessons that so few hunger for...but may never get in their lifetimes.

Spenny

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
He'll never forget that act of kindness. Moments like that are what make life so worth living.

Katherine

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
248%
Mar 11, 2019
Singapore
I also think the human connection that mentors bring is extremely vital.

I agree on this. While I do not dismiss reading books or listening to podcast (they are very good ways to grow), there is nothing better than having feedback and action right in front of us. My son was able to get immediate feedback when he attempted to do the same thing. The key learning point when he took my son rod and hands together that my son was able to experience the correct way of doing things. His expression was priceless when he caught the yabby with his help and his confidence soared know he could now do this since he learnt the "secret".

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Katherine

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
248%
Mar 11, 2019
Singapore
He'll never forget that act of kindness. Moments like that are what make life so worth living.

Oh yes. I love how he next tried to coach his little sister (2 years younger) to catch the yabby as well. The act of kindness will get to pass it on.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.