Maybe some of you have the same problem as I do?
I understand that sticking with one thing and consistently producing day after day is the road paved to success.
Process over event.
BUT
By default I am not like that at all!
See if there are two people that I could potentially invest in.
The one wasn't the smartest guy, but he has a clear track record of producing (his thing) everyday without exception. I would bet on this guy vs the the smartest guy in the room who randomly works on whatever he is hyped about.
I am trying to become THAT guy, who plugs away at his thing everyday.
But how to do it?
Isn't that the big question.
I thought I would share a story from last summer on how I worked at this problem.
My goal:
Consistent output (of my thing) over a LONG period of time.
So I said to myself. If I can learn to run consistently every single day. This will do two things.
It will make me mentally tougher, and it will directly translate to my ability to stick with things like copywriting every day..
So I took up running. (jogging is probably more accurate)
I had only one criteria.
How many days I could go without missing a day.
So I measured only one thing.
I put a red X on a calendar for everyday I went and went months without missing a day.
You see it didn't matter if I only got out and ran a half a block as long as I got out and ran it counted.
Secondly I began to extend my runs just a little everyday. I didn't really try hard I just went a little further every week as I got into better shape. Until I was running 6 mi a day frequently. (I was having fun, because I wasn't over doing it)
Then something happened.
A cousin of mine found out I was running and he wanted me to get the Nike + app so we could share our runs.
So I did.
Now his goal was way different then mine. He was dreaming of running a marathon.
I didn't think anything of it, we are both into running. Motivating right?
But there is a key distinction right here.
He was focused on speed.
I was focused on process.
So every time we would call and talk, he would talk about his fastest mile, and I began feeling really lame.
I told him I was doing some thing like a 12 min mile and he was like. "That can't be right thats just a little more then a walk"
So then my focus began to shift. (I am competitive.)
I began focusing on speed.
I did get faster and faster.
BUT
I began to miss days.......
I would have high days, then I would get tired and not run, because I was burned out.
Now up until the point before my focus shifted, I had been running for like 7-8 months and loving every min. of it.
Just the fact that I was mastering a discipline of being out there everyday was awsome.
And I never pushed it that hard, I simply had one rule. NEVER EVER MISS A DAY.
But once I began focusing on speed, (the end event, over process) all the fun was gone. I didn't have the endurance for year after year daily process. (It wasn't sustainable )
In fact I quite running for a few months completely.
But once I realized what went wrong I started again.
Here is the lesson I learned.
To create a consistent process.
Measure the right things.
So that your focus will be on the right things.
Measure Process not event.
Measure daily action not speed.
You see speed is a byproduct, it is not actionable.
If you focus on speed vs process you will try short cuts that don't work
Daily process can be a pile of fun!!! If you aren't in to big of a hurry to enjoy the journey.
Good Luck!
I understand that sticking with one thing and consistently producing day after day is the road paved to success.
Process over event.
BUT
By default I am not like that at all!
See if there are two people that I could potentially invest in.
The one wasn't the smartest guy, but he has a clear track record of producing (his thing) everyday without exception. I would bet on this guy vs the the smartest guy in the room who randomly works on whatever he is hyped about.
I am trying to become THAT guy, who plugs away at his thing everyday.
But how to do it?
Isn't that the big question.
I thought I would share a story from last summer on how I worked at this problem.
My goal:
Consistent output (of my thing) over a LONG period of time.
So I said to myself. If I can learn to run consistently every single day. This will do two things.
It will make me mentally tougher, and it will directly translate to my ability to stick with things like copywriting every day..
So I took up running. (jogging is probably more accurate)
I had only one criteria.
How many days I could go without missing a day.
So I measured only one thing.
I put a red X on a calendar for everyday I went and went months without missing a day.
You see it didn't matter if I only got out and ran a half a block as long as I got out and ran it counted.
Secondly I began to extend my runs just a little everyday. I didn't really try hard I just went a little further every week as I got into better shape. Until I was running 6 mi a day frequently. (I was having fun, because I wasn't over doing it)
Then something happened.
A cousin of mine found out I was running and he wanted me to get the Nike + app so we could share our runs.
So I did.
Now his goal was way different then mine. He was dreaming of running a marathon.
I didn't think anything of it, we are both into running. Motivating right?
But there is a key distinction right here.
He was focused on speed.
I was focused on process.
So every time we would call and talk, he would talk about his fastest mile, and I began feeling really lame.
I told him I was doing some thing like a 12 min mile and he was like. "That can't be right thats just a little more then a walk"
So then my focus began to shift. (I am competitive.)
I began focusing on speed.
I did get faster and faster.
BUT
I began to miss days.......
I would have high days, then I would get tired and not run, because I was burned out.
Now up until the point before my focus shifted, I had been running for like 7-8 months and loving every min. of it.
Just the fact that I was mastering a discipline of being out there everyday was awsome.
And I never pushed it that hard, I simply had one rule. NEVER EVER MISS A DAY.
But once I began focusing on speed, (the end event, over process) all the fun was gone. I didn't have the endurance for year after year daily process. (It wasn't sustainable )
In fact I quite running for a few months completely.
But once I realized what went wrong I started again.
Here is the lesson I learned.
To create a consistent process.
Measure the right things.
So that your focus will be on the right things.
Measure Process not event.
Measure daily action not speed.
You see speed is a byproduct, it is not actionable.
If you focus on speed vs process you will try short cuts that don't work
Daily process can be a pile of fun!!! If you aren't in to big of a hurry to enjoy the journey.
Good Luck!
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
