• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Trading Life for a Weekend?
    Build a Business, Build a Life.
    Unleash the Dream.

Become an UNSCRIPTED™Entrepreneur.

UNSCRIPTED™ Entrepreneurship is an entrepreneurial business strategy that unleashes dreams, frees time, and explodes your incomes—but more importantly, it changes your life forever. Make no mistake; this isn’t something you “try”— this is something you live.

FREE Download (Unscripted) FREE Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Notable! Who quit a good-paying Slowlane job and is now a Fastlaner?

Discussion in 'Lessons from Success/Failure' started by Justin Gesso, Jun 15, 2016.

FORUM SEARCH

Need answers about entrepreneurship? Search FIRST! More than likely your entrepreneurial topic has already been discussed.
Powered by Google Site Search.
  1. Rawr

Rawr Gold Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $5,003
    Wise words man.

Philip Marlowe likes this.
  2. Bearcorp

Bearcorp Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $328
    I quit my slowlane career in September to go full time in my fastlane business, I'm not a big contributor here, mainly because the information more experienced members add surpasses what I can contribute, a big thanks to MJ, reading his book and being a member of this forum made me believe it was possible.

3. Cparsons

Cparsons Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,270
    @Vigilante, I tried to send you a message but it wouldn't go. I would love to know more about how you get consulting gigs via LinkedIn.

I have improved profitability for my employer by raising utilization rates/implementing pricing initiatives, as well as raised customer service levels. I feel like these are very valuable but have no idea how I would use them to get consulting work. I'd love to hear your input!

AgainstAllOdds likes this.
  4. Cparsons

Cparsons Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,270
    What kind of cleaning business?

5. Vigilante

Vigilante Legendary Contributor Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $131,718
    They find me. For me it is only due to my pedigree of working for the worlds largest retailers. They find me on LinkedIn.

AgainstAllOdds likes this.
  6. GMSI7D

GMSI7D Gold Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $5,496

stories are part of numbers

what interests me is the actual numbers. not isolated stories

the news are filled with isolated stories :

the guy who won the lottery, the guy who do this or that.

but the news are not reality of the everyday life

what is the conversion rate of the fastlane philosophy ?

what are the numbers of the dashboard ?

quick calculation :

conversion rate = ( numbers of fastlane milionaires / numbers of readers of MJ Demarco's books and forum ) X 100

let's say there are 100,000 readers ( forum and books ) . i don't know the number. anyway

let's say there are 1000 millionaires here

(1000 / 100,000 ) X 100 = 1 %

1 % of fastlane millionaires and 99 % of people wishing to reach the summit

the conversion rate is not that interesting

so the main question : how to get that conversion rate to 10 % ?

7. JScott

JScott Platinum Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $26,927
    I have no idea what the number is, but if it's 1%, I would consider that not only interesting, but a success.

Few of us are successful at positively affecting 1% of the people we interact with in the world, let alone getting them to financial freedom. Personally, if I could get 1% of the people I meet to financial freedom, I'd consider that an amazing contribution to the world.

GoodluckChuck and samsara like this.
  8. MrYoshi

MrYoshi New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $77
    I had an awesome business development role at a huge tech company and it was the definition of a comfy slow lane job. I did very well there but realized how miserable I was after 7 months. I was making around 80k, which is pretty good for a 24-year-old out of college. I also read the Millionaire Fastlane and realized that it's now or never to jump into this. I actually plan on creating a progress thread this weekend to go over everything.

9. BrooklynHustle

BrooklynHustle Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,723
    Left a six figure job at Microsoft in 2013 to pursue the app business. Definitely don't miss a thing.

How Apps Set Me Free From the 9 to 5 (And How the Game has Changed) | HuffPost

10. Jav100

Jav100 New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $110
    Just curios - how much funds did you have in the bank to cover your expenses during the transition?

Or did you work in the app while working. As MSFT?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. GuitarManDan

GuitarManDan Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,687
    I'll be joining this list very shortly!

Background: quitting my 6 figure investment banking job in two weeks and moving from NYC to Arizona to pursue a fastlane venture.

I've been working on my fastlane business for approx. 3 months now and have been putting in hours every single night after work and on weekends.

The work culture is absolutely miserable and when I decided Id had enough, fortunately I stumbled upon MJ's book and the forum here. I am a pretty frugal person so I have a nice safety net as I get started.

The fastlane business is involving personalized coaching for an industry I've been heavily involved with for the last 5-6 years.

Kingmaker and Bottomsouth like this.
  12. Raaa

Raaa Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $362
    Not me but I know @458 has

I'm sure there are numerous other members who have left "high paying slow lane jobs" to pursue the fastlane lifestyle.

13. BrooklynHustle

BrooklynHustle Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,723
    I started the app business on the side while still traditionally employed

That December was the first month things started to take off. By the end, my business' revenue for the month was just slightly more than double my before tax pay for the month.

I quit the following April, and my revenues only increased, giving me all the confidence I needed. Since I was already living below my means on the job salary, between that and the business income, during that 4-5 month period, I was able to bank more cash than I had ever had before, and continue to build on it after that.

Kingmaker likes this.
  14. Philip Marlowe

Philip Marlowe Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $293
    Truth. I have yet to leave my six-figure slowlane job, but I'm on the path. And that's not because I dislike it (the exact opposite - great people/boss), but rather because it's fragile and my job is ultimately dependent on a handful of variables outside of my control, which is unacceptable.

Sorry I can't tell my story (yet), but I do know what it's like to have a well-paying job that supports the family while yearning for something more.

And I should add that one of the challenges in telling anybody is that you look a bit spoiled in your first world problem. In other words, I have an amazing job that I love that pays me insanely well....and yet I want something more. Hard to find anyone who can relate except here.

Cableabe and Kingmaker like this.
  15. Jav100

Jav100 New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $110
    Aww that's awesome to hear. I've got a good paying gig and am working on the side but struggle to make any fast progress given things move at a snails pace.

Staring at a computer for another few hours is tough after a full days worth doing it.

Are you outsourcing any activities? I try to do everything which I know is a bad move but I feel like outsourcing itself requires time.

16. Jav100

Jav100 New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $110
    I don't have a family yet but the pressure is on to start one.

But I think I am scared to high hell of having a family and a normal slow lane job. I along with others (some of which are way smarter/skilled than me!) have been laid off for ridiculous reasons (company stock down, management changes their mind every three months, general economy, etc.)

I rather be the captain of my own ship - I truly think there's no security at a job - unless you live in Europe with those labor laws.

When you are in charge I think you have more security or at least have visibility to be road ahead.

17. Philip Marlowe

Philip Marlowe Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $293
    When you're in charge you have more control over your actions, but I'm not necessarily sure about security (I agree on visibility, or at least direction). I work with someone who owns a consulting business and while he has tremendous flexibility and can do the job in his sleep, clients can just up and leave him. He's relatively diversified, but it still hurts.

At a 9-5 you can get fired, sure, but most days you also just walk out the door at 5PM and wait on your paycheck without much thought for anything else behind the scenes.

It's good you have a burning desire for something more, but i don't begrudge anyone in the slow lane (we need them - they served me coffee in first class this morning on my way back from Dallas!)

Kingmaker likes this.
  18. Jav100

Jav100 New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $110
    Fair points. I guess having seen people work hard, do a good job and be talented - and still get canned because the stock price is down a few pennies or investors didn't make 20% gains did it for me. :)

Then again I've always worked in sales or marketing so it might be a bit more aggressive in these areas.