The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Who here is in Oil and Gas Industry??

dompie85

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jan 16, 2015
Houston, Texas
I just recently moved to Houston Tx and have grown quite an interest in the O&G industry. I do not work in the industry but would like to learn a lot more and network with people in the industry. My interest in particular is in Upstream and Midstream.
Anyone here I can connect with or learn from???
Would be greatly appreciated

P.S. father recently (blindly) invested half mill in midstream in mex, but that’s a story for another time if interested.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

dompie85

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jan 16, 2015
Houston, Texas
What do you want to learn?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Proper terminology, midstream (product coordination distribution), upstream (exploration and production), investing, and in the know stuff (political, new development, etc) . Basically when I go out to network or call someone, I want to at least sound like I kinda know what I’m talking about and actually know what I was saying. I’d like to be able to hold a conversation when a topic comes up. All I can talk about now is the elections in Mexico and that’s about it

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
Google the hell out of the area you want to know. O&G is insanely big, with so many different disciplines. An exploitation engineer will have a completely different vocabulary from someone in geology or distribution or production... Find an area that interests you and start reading papers on it, or even news clippings or press events.

Check out some job postings and look at what they are looking for in candidates as well. Those will hit on some topics and phrases that you can then delve deeper in to.

dompie85

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jan 16, 2015
Houston, Texas
Yea been googling the hell out of anything related to the industry. I also google new info that I get from oil and gas news. Basically learning the all around basics right now

MetalGear

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
258%
Jan 24, 2017
Narnia
  • Oil 101 1st Edition by Morgan Downey.
  • The Prize - Daniel Yergin is also great but a super long read.
  • I would join some networking events, charities that you like, and go to happy hour around the energy corridor.
  • You will have a hard time NOT meeting someone in the oil and gas industry there

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida

Robert Paulson

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Feb 6, 2018
Texas
rigzone.com is another good resource.

After reading up a little bit, post some more specific questions. Sounds like there's a few of us here who know a bit.

dompie85

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jan 16, 2015
Houston, Texas
Vague question it is. I have Google and YouTube to use as my primary education of the industry as a whole. I was looking more so to network with people in the industry and ask what they do and go back to google to research more. Unsurprisingly, reaserching one thing leads to multiple new things to research. But all I’m currently doing is reading and learning. Don’t have anybody to talk to on this topic like most people do with sports. Hence the networking part

Robert Paulson

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Feb 6, 2018
Texas
I'm a contract controller and work with small conventional operators and a few service companies. I used to work for bigger operators that ran horizontals. So, if you have upstream questions that pertain to that, I can help talk it out. My operations knowledge is limited though.

One of the operators sold interest in wells retail a couple different ways, so I can give input there too.

Fire away.

dompie85

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jan 16, 2015
Houston, Texas
Ok, I’ll try to make the long story short...
So my father, somewhat blindly invested half a million dollars into midstream in Mexico. I Say somewhat blindly because if I asked him what midstream is (or upstream and downstream) he wouldn’t have a clue. I don’t even want to mention his lack of knowledge on the political situation right now in Mexico.... Him and his part owners are leasing a fuel farm for around 30k a month. That fuel farm has been sitting empty for like 6 months and is currently staffed with 1 person doing security. His part owners are 2 28 year olds Mexican cousins from prominent families (I can attest this part is true), also new to O&G.
I currently don’t hold any ownership of this investment although was promised a little, and I was told to “find a diesel distributor to fill these tanks” so I appointed myself “product coordinator”. 2 months go by and I ask “are we ready for product? I’m ready to roll”... “waiting for 2 permits”
We supposedly have both permits, but I’m so out of the loop with wtf is going on that I’m just standing back waiting on them to let me pull the trigger. I feel l want to just venture out on my own because any suggestions I have for all them, they’re like “meh, ok, that’s cool” Meanwhile, I see this money being burned... makes me sad.

P.S. Did I forget to mention that these guys “know somebody/ a decision maker in Pemex”?? Smh..

Ok finally that’s out of the way...
Once my father invested into this venture, I got (and still am) excited about the O&G industry! I’ve been trying to soak up relevant and even irrelevant information pertaining to the industry as a whole. My education is far from over and my excitement continues to grow. I’d really like to get into the industry, (logistics side) but I don’t know what yet...

Also another reason why I wanted to network with O&G people. They may open up some ideas for me.

Robert Paulson

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Feb 6, 2018
Texas
Describe logistics.

West Texas is popping right now. If you're familiar with trucking, you could probably get something going. It's a boom time out there, so it's relatively easy to pick up work, but don't leverage yourself too heavily, because as we saw a few years ago, this business can go pfft like a balloon in a cartoon.

RahKnee

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
May 27, 2013
I just recently moved to Houston Tx and have grown quite an interest in the O&G industry. I do not work in the industry but would like to learn a lot more and network with people in the industry. My interest in particular is in Upstream and Midstream.

P.S. father recently (blindly) invested half mill in midstream in mex, but that’s a story for another time if interested.

I'm in the industry and in the Houston area. Hit me up w a direct message and we can chat. Disclaimer: you might have to buy me a beer

Saystim

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Jun 21, 2018
Hello Friend! I am not from the oil and gas industry. I just want to let you know that I know some people who have worked in this industry. I will consult them about it and I will answer you soon. So, you can stay connected with me. Thank you so much!

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
I used to be a drilling engineer in Alberta for three years.

I started from the bottom (derrickhand) and worked my way up pretty fast. If you got half a brain, can show up to work sober, and can handle the non-pr environment you will do fine.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
Don’t have anybody to talk to on this topic like most people do with sports

Feel free to PM me with whatever oil related is on your mind. I have worked in that industry for 10ish years. The industry is massive, so might not know a ton about what you want to know, but as you say, opening a dialogue can be great

victoria weiss

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jun 7, 2018

I've worked in the upstream portion of the industry for about 6 years. Feel free to dm me with any questions.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.