The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Who here has worked in a (strategy) consulting firm? How do they get their clients?

BlueMoon

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Jun 3, 2018
Earth
It amazes me more each and every day how many consulting firms there are - and absolutely killing it. The whole irony is that many recruit people fresh out of college, with no experience, pay them decently, and then 3x their hourly rate to advise major corporations. All in all, I find the business model fascinating and have some ideas around it.

However, what still puzzles me is, how do these firms get their clients? I understand a McKinsey has a reputation so companies flock to them, but what about the 25-100 people sized consultancy firms? How does that work? Do you pitch for projects? Is it all about networking? Something else? Would love to learn more about it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
which ones have you researched and called? what did they say?
what are the top 100 firms? what do their sites say?
what marketing is going out from them? who would it be targeted toward based on the way it was structured?
which ones have job openings you could go interview to ask more?

BlueMoon

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Jun 3, 2018
Earth
Hey thanks for the reply. I made a thorough list of companies and am in talks with a couple. The problem is the vast majority of them are essentially a dinosaur and have built up their name and clientele a decade ago or longer than that.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
The problem is the vast majority of them ... built up their name and clientele a decade ago or longer than that.
I’m curious. What’s wrong with that?

Work backwards from there. How did they build up their reputation over decades or more?

I don’t find it ironic or strange at all that they have processes in place that can take smart youngsters and have them delivering value by following those processes. Kinda like how McDonalds can take someone off the street and use them to profitably deliver value almost immediately.

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
They do everything.

Just like the top lot do.

Small firms will generally have started as one man or two man bands (or women :) I hasten to add) in not just one industry but one sector within that industry - usually with some background success.

eg A friend of mine is Global Strategic Operations Director for Vodafone. Prior to that was EMEA and prior to that was UK and prior to that was Strategy Manager for xyz Dept you get the drift.

So if he went solo one day think what he would do.

Same as you right?

Make a well targeted list of potential clients and approach them using any and all means possible. So in this case small to midsize Telecoms companies.

Get the results and leverage off of them for more business.

Expand staff then spread to horizontals/verticals within the sector. (To use some industry waffle)

And only then go into different industries.

As a kid David Beckham wanted to play for Man Utd.

Laser focus on football, football, football.

Kids teams , youth teams then Man Utd then Captain then England then Captain of England.

Rock solid foundation and reputation boxes ticked.

Then move to US to help grow soccer there, build training centers there and around the world and only then move into other things like hotels, restaurants, merchandising etc etc

Dan

Thoelk

Artificial Psycho
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Feb 18, 2014
Belgium
I'm currently a manager @ one of the Big Four, focused on Data Science/Analytics.
As already has been said:
  • Urgent need -> client needs 'bodies' no matter the cost
  • They pay for the framework, not the person itself (say as you want about consulting companies, but atleast you know upfront the way-of-working)
  • Networking, mainly alumni networking... in the spirit of the slow-lane, consulting is a top-notch career path (both money & exposure-ways.. with the biggest hit given to your freedom & work-life).. If people leave, they mostlikely leave due to a shift in their private life and/or a great offer at a client. All (strategic) consulting companies threat their alumni really well, as they often are the next gatekeeper to get in the client's company if a competitor was there earlier.

Coming out of 'the industry', I never understood why companies would pay so much... Still have my doubts about the actual costs, but TBH it resonates with a corporate version of 'CENTS' on an executive level most of the time.

The reason I joined is to learn financial/business 'stuff', besides my technical expertise... I'm learning a lot, yet the biggest learning I get is in: A) efficiency (work-overload) B) becoming more strict (saying 'no') C) increasing my pitch.

Tiago

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Mar 22, 2014
Each firm has their own way of creating clients. I can tell what works for me as a coach which is similar to consulting:

Reach out to ideal clients. Invite them to a quick chat, see if there's a fit, and serve them.

Practice client astonishment. Your current clients are the best source of repeat business and referrals. Practically 80% of my clients renew our work engagements and 60-70% of my clients are referrals because of how much focus I spend on better serving current clients.

Implement a referral system.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
Have a look at Consulting success podcast by Michael Zipursky. It's really good.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

BlueMoon

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Jun 3, 2018
Earth
They do everything.

Just like the top lot do.

Small firms will generally have started as one man or two man bands (or women :) I hasten to add) in not just one industry but one sector within that industry - usually with some background success.

eg A friend of mine is Global Strategic Operations Director for Vodafone. Prior to that was EMEA and prior to that was UK and prior to that was Strategy Manager for xyz Dept you get the drift.

So if he went solo one day think what he would do.

Same as you right?

Make a well targeted list of potential clients and approach them using any and all means possible. So in this case small to midsize Telecoms companies.

Get the results and leverage off of them for more business.

Expand staff then spread to horizontals/verticals within the sector. (To use some industry waffle)

And only then go into different industries.

As a kid David Beckham wanted to play for Man Utd.

Laser focus on football, football, football.

Kids teams , youth teams then Man Utd then Captain then England then Captain of England.

Rock solid foundation and reputation boxes ticked.

Then move to US to help grow soccer there, build training centers there and around the world and only then move into other things like hotels, restaurants, merchandising etc etc

Dan
Great post thanks for taking the time to write this up.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.