The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Who are you? Let's find out.

Anything related to matters of the mind

struka

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Feb 22, 2018
TN
I started on Jordan Peterson's course called Future Authoring, see the thread below, and as I have anticipated I got stuck on the ideal future. I have opened and closed my browser for the last 2 days without typing anything. I had this issue before but I was hoping that this time around I would be able to concur it. Unfortunately, that is not the case once again.

Jordan Peterson's Future Authoring program helped me achieve (literally) everything I wanted.

The deeper I get into this type of course or self-help, I realize that I do not know myself and it prevents me from moving forward. Has anyone had this issue? If so, how did you overcome it or what did you do to determine who you are?

I know I am a procrastinator and that is my biggest fault because I put off a lot of things without accomplishing anything (need to work on this).

I have taken Myers Briggs test (I'm an ESTJ) and Enneagram (Type 3, 3w2).
Even though both my personality tests show that I am motivated, I just don't feel like I am and part of it is because of procrastinating things and not knowing what I want in life because I don't know myself. Basically, I am on the shoulder of a road that is at crossroads (if that makes any sense).

Any suggestions on what you have done to find your true self?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
@eliquid has a great thread about aligning what you’re doing with what suits you.

I’ve done the Belbin test a couple of times. It was meh.

I did Perry Marshall’s “Marketing DNA Test” and it was a big aha moment for me. I wrote about it somewhere in here.

I think it matters when you’re in motion. I’m not sure it’s as helpful if you’re navel gazing.

I think people tangle themselves up too much and need to get moving instead.

See if any of these lines resonate with you:

“Tell me what you’ve done and I’ll tell you who you are.” (Some dude who climbed Everest)

“F*ck why. It only holds you back.” (Craig DeSorcy)

“Go on the B of Bang.” (My sprint coach way back when)

“Pick a direction. Get started. Keep going.”

“You can’t steer a parked car.” (James Schramko)

“Start.” (Our very own @Vigilante)

I hope that doesn’t come off as dismissing you’re question of “how to find your true self”.

I literally believe you’ll find your true self by getting out there and helping people, rather than over-analysing things.

I’m going to link to a call I had with someone. Let me know if it resonates.

And this might help you too:

Joey El

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Mar 16, 2016
Down Under
...stuck on the ideal future.

...what did you do to determine who you are?

...(I'm an ESTJ) and Enneagram (Type 3, 3w2).

...I am on the shoulder of a road that is at crossroads

Hi struka.

Andy’s right, that eliquid thread is long but worthwhile. Good to see you are implementing writing anyway.

You may notice the quote of your original post is cut up. It really resonated with me, but mostly those lines.

I do apologise for my chopped-up communication style, it’s getting late here. Anyway someone will get value from my perspective so here goes. (I’ve been dying of cancer on & off since 2015.)

Stuck on the ideal future.

Perfect. I don’t know much about you except a post in the ?5am thread about gym before baby wakes up?

First, assuming you have written your past, and you say are at a crossroads. Actually on the shoulder of a road that is. So you know where you’ve been, your key beliefs/memories, and your vehicle?

That’s what made who you are.

ESTJ & 3w2 only describes that.

What you do to determine who you are. I say depends on your personality!

• • •
So here is a conceptual strategy, that was refined as I literally repeated the same catastrophe at an accelerating rate, forcing me to look at as if I was a complete stranger.
• •

Deep Motivation.

Most of us will take on the beliefs of 5 closest people. So stripping away external influence will show you the true Why’s fit in your pattern. These will still adapt as you grow but are unlikely to be uncovered by less than 7 repetitions of someone, in your face asking why do you want “whatever you just said” until that deep answer emerges.

Edit:posting on mobile so continued below

Last edited:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hi struka.

Andy’s right, that eliquid thread is long but worthwhile. Good to see you are implementing writing anyway.

You may notice the quote of your original post is cut up. It really resonated with me, but mostly those lines.

I do apologise for my chopped-up communication style, it’s getting late here. Anyway someone will get value from my perspective so here goes. (I’ve been dying of cancer on & off since 2015.)

Stuck on the ideal future.

Perfect. I don’t know much about you except a post in the ?5am thread about gym before baby wakes up?

First, assuming you have written your past, and you say are at a crossroads. Actually on the shoulder of a road that is. So you know where you’ve been, your key beliefs/memories, and your vehicle?

That’s what made who you are.

ESTJ & 3w2 only describes that.

What you do to determine who you are. I say depends on your personality!

• • •
So here is a conceptual strategy, that was refined as I literally repeated the same catastrophe at an accelerating rate, forcing me to look at as if I was a complete stranger.
• •

Deep Motivation.

Most of us will take on the beliefs of 5 closest people. So stripping away external influence will show you the true Why’s fit in your pattern. These will still adapt as you grow but are unlikely to be uncovered by less than 7 repetitions of someone, in your face asking why do you want “whatever you just said” until that deep answer emerges.
You’ve been fighting cancer for 4 years?

Jesus... that puts everyone’s “problems” into perspective.

Hats off to you sir for continuing the fight and for helping your fellow man out.

Prayers and good wishes to you and your family.

Joey El

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Mar 16, 2016
Down Under
Edit: Thanks Andy. Blessings come in the worst wrappings.

Continued: 7 levels why.

I asked these in 3 areas:
Family. Finances. Mind/body.
...for simplicity & at a deep level many things boil down to the same core.

Accuracy is guaranteed by the emotional depth of doing these questions properly.

Accurate models.

(I could add criticisms of many gurus here but on to the How.)

Exhausted?
That was as deep as needed, the rest gets better:)

Enneagram is a good quiz to take once your core is freshly exposed. I found the best way is set aside time because my routine buried the feelings quickly, doing it all correctly once is harder but sets a good precedent (as a fellow procrastinator).

Then, personality hacker .com, in particular...
The car model.
This is the fastest way to understand the deep power of those 4 letters in MBTI. It also correlated well in my case to enneagram type, with a little more info because deep research is easier accessible on mbti.

p.s. if you’re a JP fan, the 5 axis trait model is accurate and can correlate. I just got it done on this step without it.

So once you have the right identity & understand how you change. Which Antonia & Joel describe for each: )

Priority.

Interesting I read the other day this was only ever a singular word, until society was rich enough to afford to add plural ‘priorities’.

I was poor- depleted in every way. Which was a bonus because that meant 1 and only 1 priority.

And eventually the other things fit into my roadmap, along the way. Some crossroads met up again, I could just choose long way or direct way. But I have a compass to 1 thing...

You can’t be lost with that.

It’s so priceless, there’s a story about Richard Branson turning down $1million for a speaking gig when his 1 thing was more valuable at the time.

And faced with life & death choices, I knew my direction.

I still do.

If this helped I’d love to know.

Thank you for reading.

Last edited:

struka

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Feb 22, 2018
TN
Thank you everyone that has taken the time to reply to this and given me insightful information. Joey, THANK YOU especially as when you see the word "cancer" it puts things in perspective. Like Andy has mentioned, prayers to you and your family.

I am currently going through the list of suggested threads that have been linked so thank you for those. After I have posted my original thread, I spent a few hours reading more about the Enneagram Types and it seems I am stressed about something. The thing is, I am not sure what I am stressed about (not work or family) so I am looking into this a little more; I have a feeling it is lack of organization within my house (I have a toddler and 2.5 month old so stuff is EVERYWHERE) as my personality needs things to be in order and organized.

I took the "personality hacker" test and it came out to be ESTJ which the same as any other MBTI test however I plan to dive deeper into their "Car Model". It seems I need to focus on developing my co-pilot function of Introverted Sensing ("Memory"). Did you buy their Starter Kit? If so, was it worth it?

Lastly, after doing additional research and reading, I think the lack of motivation also comes from being too comfortable.

I think I am onto something... There must be some changes for me to get motivated, whether it be organized within my life, have a big F'it moment, or get out of my comfort zone.

Joey El

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Mar 16, 2016
Down Under
... I need to focus on developing my co-pilot function of Introverted Sensing ("Memory"). Did you buy their Starter Kit? If so, was it worth it?

Lastly, after doing additional research and reading, I think the lack of motivation also comes from being too comfortable.

I think I am onto something... There must be some changes for me to get motivated, whether it be organized within my life, have a big F'it moment, or get out of my comfort zone.

First, all good now, still...Appreciate that thank you:) no I never paid for their deeper stuff. PM me for the free therapy I got most benefits from.

“Memory” is a tricky name one, think of Introverted Sensing & your first post “I realise that I do not know myself” and ask does it “seem” or do you need to work on that co-pilot function...

Also, my 13 month old is filling our house with chaos...jp Lobster King harps on tidy your room for a reason;) So yeah I can relate, also with the initial problem of resistance to Future Authoring.

Happy to link you to the free resistance melting techniques that got me organised, working through F’it (unhealthy finances) & Happily from ‘comfort’ to ‘growth’ zone:)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.