The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Where do you buy your barcodes?

YoungBroward

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
May 15, 2016
My supplier and I have finalized my product, now I just need to design the packaging which i need a barcode on for amazon( I think). Where did you buy yours? Should I get both a upc and a ean? I also need to come up with a business name, does amazon require you to be a registered business? Can you register your own business at 16?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

DillanE

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Nov 21, 2016
New Jersey
My supplier and I have finalized my product, now I just need to design the packaging which i need a barcode on for amazon( I think). Where did you buy yours? Should I get both a upc and a ean? I also need to come up with a business name, does amazon require you to be a registered business? Can you register your own business at 16?

To answer a couple of your questions, you WILL need a Tax ID number to sell on Amazon. You WILL NOT need one for eBay.

Also, go on to the IRS website (Google it) & try to register. Have your business name figured out first.

Dillan

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
To answer a couple of your questions, you WILL need a Tax ID number to sell on Amazon. You WILL NOT need one for eBay.

Also, go on to the IRS website (Google it) & try to register. Have your business name figured out first.

Dillan

This is not correct.

You don't need a Tax ID to sell on Amazon. You can sell on Amazon using your SSN. You don't need a business name. However, it's always smarter to sell through a business entity.

If you're just testing a new product or business, you might better off starting fast and then registering a company later. This is what I've done before.

If you have significant assets to protect, I suggest forming company structure before hand.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015

I buy mine from Barcode Love, If you buy codes you get duplicate UPC and EANs, it doesn't really matter, however I would use UPC if you're in North America, otherwise EAN, but like I say, I don't think it matters.

Register as an individual and worry about that later.

I'm not sure what country your in, so you have to check if you're allowed to register the business at 16; however like I said, unless you know you are about to do millions of products straight away, start as an individual and go from there.

If you already registered as a business and are awaiting to put in details, delete your business account and start again, the changes will kick in, in the next billing cycle.

Good luck! :-D

João Pedro

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Oct 31, 2016
Fortaleza, Brasil
Hey,

You must definitely purchase them by "GS1". It is the official barcode company.

I've done the whole process on a company i worked for... it is very straightforward. They will guide you through the whole process.

If you are serious about your product, go straight to the source. It is safer that way.

Good sales!

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States

I've used this company many times: https://www.nationwidebarcode.com/

The order includes both UPC and EAN s. UPC is all you need in U.S., EAN is more commonly used in Europe.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014
Since it sounds like this is your own branded product and not something you're reselling, I'd use GS1 so you can have your own company prefix. If you never plan on selling more than 10 SKUs and don't have much of a budget, the 3rd party barcode providers might be sufficient.

DBXI

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
176%
Nov 24, 2015
I bought 1000 UPC codes off of an Ebay seller for around $2 and used that to get things going on Amazon. There has been some talk about Amazon starting to check against GS1 but as of yet it hasn't been enforced that I know of. If you want to get into big box stores you'll definitely need official GS1 registered barcodes. You could have the supplier print your UPC barcodes on the box and then put the Amazon FNSKU labels over the UPC or you could just have the supplier print the FNSKU directly on the box. I'd recommend opening a separate bank account getting an LLC setup but there have been plenty of people that have sold under their SSN and then after getting some traction moved things to a separate business entity.

Kevin Farney

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Nov 1, 2016
I've used easyupc.com for my first product. Super easy... I'm very new to this though so take that for what it is.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.