The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

$1B+ Powerball Jackpot - Did You Buy Your Ticket?

funkj25

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Dec 5, 2011
It's the chance of a lifetime. The biggest Powerball jackpot ever. You may never have another chance to be truly wealthy.

I don't have the chance to post often and contribute so I wanted to leave this handy guide here for your reference.

losing-powerball-ticket.jpg

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

funkj25

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Dec 5, 2011
It's positive EV so why not?

That's actually true. I used to buy them only when they were +EV. Too much poker theory for us apparently.

Edit (addition): Even though your return is more than 2.73 dollars for a dollar invested (great rate of return indeed) the downside is if you are still stuck in the event mindset. If you're past it, then honestly no harm no foul if it brings some entertainment to your day. If you're stuck in the event over process mindset, not worth the poison imo.

Second edit: I forgot powerball is now $2 a ticket (that's how long since I've bought one), making the EV much lower. Math conscious mind wouldn't let me go without correcting my mistake above.

Last edited:

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
The department i work in all threw in 2 dollars into the pot so I just HAD to throw in 2 dollars.

I'd be so pissed if after all the fastlane work ive been doing while the rest of them watch world star and netflix shows and movies, they end up winning the damn powerball and im the only one left in the department LOL!!! I think that would cross the line of me not giving a crap, i would be ENVIOUS...

Trivium iz rC

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Jan 23, 2014
Saw this thread just as soon as I got home. 5 mins ago I was filling my gas tank & went inside to grab a pack of gum. Guy in front of me bought $150 worth of powerball tickets.

It's sad to see that most people have lost hope & effort to win in life, it also bothers me to think that these people think that GOVERNMENT will help them. Yet Government takes advantage of these people and offers them these scams.

Brett877

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Oct 9, 2014
Missouri
Saw this thread just as soon as I got home. 5 mins ago I was filling my gas tank & went inside to grab a pack of gum. Guy in front of me bought $150 worth of powerball tickets.

It's sad to see that most people have lost hope & effort to win in life, it also bothers me to think that these people think that GOVERNMENT will help them. Yet Government takes advantage of these people and offers them these scams.

RIGHT!!!! I have seen people who are making less that 20k a year spend 100 on scratchers and 100 on powerball and complain that they lost and their broke. Its a mentality defect that keeps people down ( by their own fault) .... same people that blame the rich for them being poor... Really dislike people like that

mws87

talk less, listen more.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
May 5, 2015
California
There should be one for the winning ticket too. The number 15: The amount of years before you're bankrupt and totally out of your jackpot.

(65% of lottery winners are bankrupt within 15 years)

DKNJ

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Mar 20, 2014
New Jersey
It's fun to play when the jackpot is that high. I threw in $10 for the hell of it. I remember in high school, Mcdonalds was having the monopoly peel off game for $1mm. My buddy and I gave the drive thru guy $30 for as many cups as he was willing to give us. He gave us about 6 sleeves of cups. We were peeling cups feeling like geniuses. I think we made a good amount back in breakfast sandwiches and other winning food items. Ahh good times. Lol

Last edited:

Mr.Donnerhuhn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Aug 2, 2015
It's fun to play when the jackpot is that high. I through in $10 for the hell of it. I remember in high school, Mcdonalds was having the monopoly peel off game for $1mm. My buddy and I gave the drive thru guy $30 for as many cups as he was willing to give us. He gave us about 6 sleeves of cups. We were peeling cups feeling like geniuses. I think we made a good amount back in breakfast sandwiches and other winning food items. Ahh good times. Lol

I remember when Taco Bell was giving away the original Xbox back when it was new and all the rage. I WON THAT F***ING CONTEST, but because I had entered the ticket two days before my 13th birthday (had to be 13 or older to win) my ticket was disqualified.

F*** Taco Bell and the Slowlane

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I remember when Taco Bell was giving away the original Xbox back when it was new and all the rage. I WON THAT F***ING CONTEST, but because I had entered the ticket two days before my 13th birthday (had to be 13 or older to win) my ticket was disqualified.

It's ok man. It's gonna be ok.

Just put the gun down and slowly back away.

We'll get you the xBox. Everything is going to be ok.

Just take it easy.

Duane

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Jul 23, 2015
Lakeland FL
My father is obsessing over the lotto right now. He buys them all the time and is confused as to why I'm not buying one.

I told him I wouldn't be as fulfilled making the 300 million or whatever you'd actually take home by winning the lottery than if I made that on my own.

My fortune is due to dumb luck, what a story to take to my grave, I really accomplished something in my life.

Then ofc you already know what his reply was, "but you can't say no to 800 million dollars".
Yeah, you have a 1 in 295,000,000 shot, good luck.

Alan LT

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Nov 1, 2014
South Florida
My father is obsessing over the lotto right now. He buys them all the time and is confused as to why I'm not buying one.

I told him I wouldn't be as fulfilled making the 300 million or whatever you'd actually take home by winning the lottery than if I made that on my own.

My fortune is due to dumb luck, what a story to take to my grave, I really accomplished something in my life.

Then ofc you already know what his reply was, "but you can't say no to 800 million dollars".
Yeah, you have a 1 in 295,000,000 shot, good luck.

I tried explaining that to people in my family too. They don't want to believe that the odds aren't in their favor. They just respond with "if you don't play, then how are you going to win."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
The department i work in all threw in 2 dollars into the pot so I just HAD to throw in 2 dollars.

I'd be so pissed if after all the fastlane work ive been doing while the rest of them watch world star and netflix shows and movies, they end up winning the damn powerball and im the only one left in the department LOL!!! I think that would cross the line of me not giving a crap, i would be ENVIOUS...

Just wait 5 years.

5 years of grinding in the fastlane there's no way you will be working there, ever again.

5 years and every single one of them will be bankrupt and back working there buying lotto every week.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ

funkj25

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Dec 5, 2011

I'm glad someone wanted to do the math for us. I just did the quick EV for the jackpot, not the rest because well, I'm too lazy to care?

I know I've been pissed on by a particular forum user before for being math oriented in my decisions, but if done correctly the math doesn't lie. No emotion or "gut instinct" involved (although I still find it useful from time to time).

Anyway, cool link MJ, thanks.

DKNJ

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Mar 20, 2014
New Jersey

Haha damn, they disqualified your ticket for 2 days. That's some bull.

Bouncing Soul

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 13, 2014

My math chops are better than about 99% of the world's, I'm a long way from poor and I bought a ticket. We won't be broke within 5 years of a liquidity event either, lottery or otherwise.

The problem with the lottery (on the buyer side) IMO, is when people lose sight of the fact it's a game, or gambling...whichever you prefer.

For winners it's the set of habits that have led to whatever their financial situation is probably aren't ready for that level of financial problems.

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
Like eating Pizza Hutt with respect to your health, the lotto is for all intents and purposes always -EV.

But like eating Pizza Hutt, some people are healthy enough to indulge without it mattering in any appreciable way, some aren't.

Like any gambling enterprise, the house always wins. Always.

Best of luck to all of you anyway.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
A girl in front of me today at a convenience store ordered $70 worth of lottery tickets. She forgot she had purchased something else, so her total was just over $70. She had to return the other items because all she had was the $70. She literally spent the only $70 she had on lottery tickets. In a grocery store, I would have covered the balance for her. Not in a gas station when she spent all her money on the voluntary tax. And she is just one amongst the masses that did the same thing.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
A girl in front of me today at a convenience store ordered $70 worth of lottery tickets. She forgot she had purchased something else, so her total was just over $70. She had to return the other items because all she had was the $70. She literally spent the only $70 she had on lottery tickets. In a grocery store, I would have covered the balance for her. Not in a gas station when she spent all her money on the voluntary tax. And she is just one amongst the masses that did the same thing.
The world needs ditch diggers, too.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Whoa. I had no idea people would spend so much on lottery tickets...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.