The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

$1B+ Powerball Jackpot - Did You Buy Your Ticket?

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
Well, I wasted $6 on three tickets. But maybe I didn't waste it because I'll keep the ticket as a REMINDER.

A reminder that I missed out on the biggest jackpot in US history :arghh:.

Just messing around. I had no emotion attached to the purchase and afterwards, it was, :meh:.

But I am interested in what someone should do (law, accounting, privacy, etc.) if they receive a large sum of money like that. A guy I lost contact with who was in law school gave some advice on that, but I forgot most of it. I did write it down, so it's likely in a small notepad in one of my boxes.

Anyone willing to share what should be done after winning the lottery? (assuming we're responsible people here and not going to spend any of it immediately or at all on "cocaine and hookers" :joyful:).

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
I'd buy a bulletproof Hummer H1 because I'd probably paranoid AF for the first few weeks...then I'd educate myself.

Edit: Nobody hit it and now it's at 1.3 BILLION.

7lZwLKc.jpg

Last edited:

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
A girl in front of me today at a convenience store ordered $70 worth of lottery tickets. She forgot she had purchased something else, so her total was just over $70. She had to return the other items because all she had was the $70. She literally spent the only $70 she had on lottery tickets. In a grocery store, I would have covered the balance for her. Not in a gas station when she spent all her money on the voluntary tax. And she is just one amongst the masses that did the same thing.

So I see your Florida accilmation is going along swimmingly.:)

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011

AG356

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
599%
Apr 19, 2015
I don't know why you all hating ... it's a 50/50 chance.
You either win or lose.

giphy.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Bouncing Soul

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 13, 2014
Like eating Pizza Hutt with respect to your health, the lotto is for all intents and purposes always -EV.

But like eating Pizza Hutt, some people are healthy enough to indulge without it mattering in any appreciable way, some aren't.

Like any gambling enterprise, the house always wins. Always.

Best of luck to all of you anyway.

That's a great analogy.

A girl in front of me today at a convenience store ordered $70 worth of lottery tickets. She forgot she had purchased something else, so her total was just over $70. She had to return the other items because all she had was the $70. She literally spent the only $70 she had on lottery tickets. In a grocery store, I would have covered the balance for her. Not in a gas station when she spent all her money on the voluntary tax. And she is just one amongst the masses that did the same thing.

That's just awful and depressing.

hatzil

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Nov 29, 2015
Israel
People who rely on winning the lottery is stupid. even If i win a lottery like this i will miss all the fun. this is not for me, i love the actions themself, thats make me a happy person :)

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
I'd buy a bulletproof Hummer H1 because I'd probably paranoid AF for the first few weeks...then I'd educate myself.

Edit: Nobody hit it and now it's at 1.3 BILLION.

Haha! But it seriously sucks that safety would have to be a major concern too. $1.3 BILLION? Hmmm...

Anyways, Hugh Hefner picked a great time to announce the sale of his Playboy Mansion. Someone is going to win, and I bet he or she would be interested in buying it. Not only would it be awesome for lifestyle, but it could be a nice investment. At $200 million, I'm not sure, though.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3391929/Legendary-Playboy-Mansion-set-sale.html

P.S. If the Playboy Mansion and the reason for its fame do not change after its sale and anyone reading this can attend one of their parties, feel free to PM with me an invite. :D

edit: The next video of Tai will surprise you. He'll be recording from the Playboy Mansion! Watch.

Last edited:

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Came across this cool little "lottery simulator"... Makes things more realistic. You can choose how much to play and see your odds. I did $2,000,000 in a background tab while working and didn't hit the jackpot lol.
http://graphics.latimes.com/powerball-simulator/

A
nd then this link answers a big question I always had: Couldn't I just buy ~$265M worth of every combo and get ROI on guaranteed win.
http://money.cnn.com/2016/01/11/news/powerball-jackpot-win-guarantee/

I will shamelessly buy $20 of tickets tomm.. I like to keep the tickets on my desk for motivation. The fantasy of how I'd spend those millions vs. the realization that I can do it myself through biz with better odds and get those same fantasies.

BlakeIC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 9, 2014
Not Washington
Came across this cool little "lottery simulator"... Makes things more realistic. You can choose how much to play and see your odds. I did $2,000,000 in a background tab while working and didn't hit the jackpot lol.
http://graphics.latimes.com/powerball-simulator/

A
nd then this link answers a big question I always had: Couldn't I just buy ~$265M worth of every combo and get ROI on guaranteed win.
http://money.cnn.com/2016/01/11/news/powerball-jackpot-win-guarantee/

I will shamelessly buy $20 of tickets tomm.. I like to keep the tickets on my desk for motivation. The fantasy of how I'd spend those millions vs. the realization that I can do it myself through biz with better odds and get those same fantasies.
Decided to run it at $5,000,000 throughout the day, this is what I got
DzI3B7z.png

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
I found a website that breaks down the payouts when taking Annuity, Cash, Federal and State Taxes into account.

The "net" cash payout for where I'm at (based on the current jackpot) is: $697,500,000

Buickestate

any colour as long as it comes with wood
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 4, 2015
Ontario
Why is this even a thread?

My thoughts are it's only eight quarters, you might have that much in your cup holder. Only one ticket can win, only buy one ticket.

The factors against me buying one are ,my time driving there and back On a highway that is known for white outs this time of year, there are bridge tolls, plus the time waiting time at the boarder before entering Michigan, buy the ticket, fill up my tank, turn around and go home again. In the end that $2 ticket will cost me $30 USD, or $43 Canadian. We've just had a blast of winter weather. It's just not worth risking my life for 1.4 billion dollars. I could do better things with my time and money, like putting gas in my snow blower and clearing out my driveway.....

Last edited:

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
It's just not worth risking my life for 1.4 billion dollars.
Not with these odds. I'd bet you'd make the drive to close a $1.4b business deal though. I would.

P.S. $2 is eight quarters :p

Travis.I

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 11, 2014
Washington, US
I bought a few because why not for the thrill and entertainment.

But really if I won the full amount its at currently, I think life would be boring. You basically at that point have a shit ton of money. Doing most entrepreneurship stuff will only make you way smaller amounts, so you'd probably lose interest fast.

I'd say I hope I dont' win it because I rather live life experiencing things and progressing instead of just being given all the money I will ever need now. If I do win it, I really don't know what I would do with it. Lets just start with, I do not want to win it.

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
Lets just start with, I do not want to win it.
Well that's bullshit. If you didn't want to win, you wouldn't have bought a ticket. I'd rather win $1 billion that work my a$$ off for it. Who cares if you didn't earn it. Use the money to start or buy a business. I'd love to win, and I'd work my a$$ off to own a MLB franchise. It's not like you're going to win $1 billion and then sit at home with your thumb up your a$$.

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe

Travis.I

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 11, 2014
Washington, US
Well that's bullshit. If you didn't want to win, you wouldn't have bought a ticket. I'd rather win $1 billion that work my a$$ off for it. Who cares if you didn't earn it. Use the money to start or buy a business. I'd love to win, and I'd work my a$$ off to own a MLB franchise. It's not like you're going to win $1 billion and then sit at home with your thumb up your a$$.
How close minded can you be? I explained why I bought it. I could lash out in a paragraph like you but I will just let little bitch haters hate.

mws87

talk less, listen more.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
May 5, 2015
California
Use the money to start or buy a business. I'd love to win, and I'd work my a$$ off to own a MLB franchise.
Just remember--the majority doesn't look at winning a large sum of money as capital or an opportunity to create and build something, I'm glad most of us here (if not all) do.

Most usually see it as an opportunity to own lavish things, gamble more and blow all their money. Hence why such a large portion of people blow all their money within 15 years.

Buickestate

any colour as long as it comes with wood
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 4, 2015
Ontario
We got 10...
The store is only a block away
There were no lines
It will only take a couple of minutes to check 10
It was only $20
It's a lot of money if the stars align
Good Luck

Equilibrium

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Jun 14, 2015
Haha damn, they disqualified your ticket for 2 days. That's some bull.
nope i will attest to this. found bright purple M&M's in a bag and ate them. later found out there was a sweepstakes ''find odd color and win!'' could have won a camery HAHA..
To this day I pay attention to what I'm eating. :hilarious:

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix
Here is how I'm playing powerball-1,000+ organic reach, zero spent

I've seen a couple of companies do this. Fantastic idea for marketing, makes me giggle, mostly because everyone will assume that they are getting an equal division of the winnings when, in reality, if you win, you can dish out a dollar to everyone & you've split it with them. Then, the lawsuits will come.

I'm just glad that AZ has a law that you can claim the winnings anonymously. Because I wouldn't tell a damn soul.

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
Guys, just think--after tonight, someone may have dozens of estranged relatives and friends suddenly remember them and return to their life.

Or it keeps increasing and A LOT of people will buy into another draw, haha.

How long has it been growing anyways? The forum is how I heard about it.

edit: the jackpot is almost twice as much as it was when OP titled it. Crazy fast increase and by a crazy amount.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.