The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Where Can I Find Better Quality Friends?

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

Should I leave my hometown and old friends behind?

• YES! They are Dragging you Down....Leave...Leave Now....And Don't Come Back

• NO! Stay Where You Feel Comfortable....Your Friends Know You Best....

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
yeah that's life....i'd say 95%+ of people are happy to go through the motions, never learn

This, by definition, reflects the concept of Ubermensch.

Greatness means going where others have not gone before, and almost always during it without them, despite their disbelief, doubt, hate, and criticism that is both unsolicited and unqualified.

keep trying attend business seminars, network and you'll meet like minded people. )

I definitely don't go to enough networking events.

I want to do more, even non-business related.

There is a vast universe of interesting symposiums and events to attend.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Rudynate

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Mar 3, 2016
San Francisco, CA
You can start by looking at yourself. Your hatred for your town will not go away if you move. You will find a reason to hate the next place as well.

That is the conventional wisdom. In 12-step programs it is called "taking a geographic cure." And it is true that, no matter where you move, you take yourself along. But I don't think it is always the case that wanting to change your surroundings is doomed to fail.

I visited San Francisco for years. I always noticed that the people I met here were invariably very interesting. I always wondered, "Is it that this town attracts interesting people, or is it that ordinary people become interesting when they place themselves in a stimulating environment like San Francisco?" And I wondered what would happen to me if I moved here.

I did move to San Francisco, and it was the smartest thing I ever did. I have lived here for many years and the velocity I have maintained in that time is unbelievable.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
That is the conventional wisdom. In 12-step programs it is called "taking a geographic cure." And it is true that, no matter where you move, you take yourself along. But I don't think it is always the case that wanting to change your surroundings is doomed to fail.

I visited San Francisco for years. I always noticed that the people I met here were invariably very interesting. I always wondered, "Is it that this town attracts interesting people, or is it that ordinary people become interesting when they place themselves in a stimulating environment like San Francisco?" And I wondered what would happen to me if I moved here.

I did move to San Francisco, and it was the smartest thing I ever did. I have lived here for many years and the velocity I have maintained in that time is unbelievable.
Believe me, I would never suggest that relocating is not an option. I like to move around. I was only recommending a look at self first.

Rudynate

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Mar 3, 2016
San Francisco, CA
I spent my adolescent years in Rochester NY. I and all of my siblings thought it was a complete toilet and couldn't wait to get away. I got away from it as soon as I could. I had to move back there for a couple of years due to family circumstances and I realized that it really had been that bad and was grateful that I had escaped. Rochester is occasionally called "Smugtown," and there's a reason for that. They might have gotten cured of that smugness after Kodak filed for bankruptcy a few years ago.

Aaron W

^‿^
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Nov 25, 2015
Toronto
Take action to surround yourself with the people you would like to be around.

Like playing golf and business? Become a caddy at a high range course.

Like surfing and clothing brands? Go surf and frequently visit surf shops/fashion shows.

But even as I say this - I'm in the same boat as you, I find myself, not to be pretentious, a lot more mature then most friends as well as aiming for greater goals. But find this difficult to as I'm in a city and there is not a great amount for 21 year olds here with the same mind set and fortunate to live DT.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
How can I establish better friendships with people who are worth my time?

I'll actually turn the question around and give you the chance to point your finger back to yourself.

What can you improve about yourself that can turn you into a higher quality person?

I'll use a dating analogy from my own past experiences. How do I date a really attractive girl? I used to think it was a matter of "getting" the girl. Some trick or tactic that had me chase after her. When I was 30 pounds overweight, worked a dead-end job, and stayed on my computer most weekends, I somehow thought at the time that I had to do something, instead of becoming something.

Then, one day, I decided to live an interesting life. I built 2 profitable companies, began travelling around the country, gaining new and exciting experiences, becoming a best-selling publisher, started exercising and eating healthy again, and putting on the mindset and sense of identity that I am already a higher quality person than I used to be.

I didn't notice this at first, and I didn't know why, but every since I became this new person, changing on the inside (my actions, behaviors, switching to a positive and limitless mindset), taking those actions to make something of my life, a lot more attractive girls (physically/mentally/emotionally as ) started to appear out of nowhere.

And it's important to know that I used to identify myself as someone without any luck dating since college....and I always used to identify myself as a struggling entrepreneur who couldn't find mentors or help...
  • I stand in the line at the store and more attractive girls smile and talk to me.
  • I'm getting asked out, instead of asking the girls out.
  • I had a twenty minute long conversation with one of the most successful venture capitalists in the world, while walking through a park one day.
  • The owner of one of the most successful entrepreneur conferences said he would sponsor my first international trip out of the US to help grow my business into new cultures.
All this started to happen out of nowhere. I didn't go out and try to search for these people. It's almost as if they just came to me....

With the dating, I don't tell the girls I'm an entrepreneur/travel/live a life most people can't dream of, I don't talk about money or success...it's almost as if the people you want to attract in your life just seem to appear out of nowhere....only after you change yourself.

So let me ask you this? You don't have to answer out loud - What qualities can you change in yourself first so you can become the type of person that will attract the people you want in your life?

D

Deleted35442

jeb-bush-crosseyed-meme.jpg

Amazonian_Chimp

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Mar 14, 2016
Bremerton, WA, USA
I'll actually turn the question around and give you the chance to point your finger back to yourself.

Then, one day, I decided to live an interesting life. I built 2 profitable companies, began travelling around the country, gaining new and exciting experiences, becoming a best-selling publisher, started exercising and eating healthy again, and putting on the mindset and sense of identity that I am already a higher quality person than I used to be.

I didn't notice this at first, and I didn't know why, but every since I became this new person, changing on the inside (my actions, behaviors, switching to a positive and limitless mindset), taking those actions to make something of my life, a lot more attractive girls (physically/mentally/emotionally as ) started to appear out of nowhere.

And it's important to know that I used to identify myself as someone without any luck dating since college....and I always used to identify myself as a struggling entrepreneur who couldn't find mentors or help...
  • I stand in the line at the store and more attractive girls smile and talk to me.
  • I'm getting asked out, instead of asking the girls out.
  • I had a twenty minute long conversation with one of the most successful venture capitalists in the world, while walking through a park one day.
  • The owner of one of the most successful entrepreneur conferences said he would sponsor my first international trip out of the US to help grow my business into new cultures.
All this started to happen out of nowhere. I didn't go out and try to search for these people. It's almost as if they just came to me....

With the dating, I don't tell the girls I'm an entrepreneur/travel/live a life most people can't dream of, I don't talk about money or success...it's almost as if the people you want to attract in your life just seem to appear out of nowhere....only after you change yourself.

So let me ask you this? You don't have to answer out loud - What qualities can you change in yourself first so you can become the type of person that will attract the people you want in your life?

You hit the nail on the head...
This is exactly what i've started doing since I made this post.
I've stopped giving a F*ck, and committed myself to living the most interesting and exciting life possible.

The losers in my life have started to drop away....

They can't keep up with the pace

They don't understand my new business

They don't get why I keep travelling...

And They never will understand until they unshackle themselves from the cave...

JokerCrazyBeatz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 1, 2016
You found him ! I'm your friend , now be better today then you were yesterday . And keep that process of growth till you reach higher then you've ever thought

21elnegocio

WholeFlips Wholesaling Houses Virtually
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Feb 28, 2012
Downtown Phoenix, AZ
I have a lot of people in my life, Mostly people from my past. These people are rather committed to doing nothing worthwhile with their lives. Many of the people in my past, I let go of. They are no longer a part of my life. I have come to the conclusion, that it is time to cut more losers off.

The problem is there is a lack of quality people in my life, to replace them with. The town i'm living in is a dump. I can't seem to find quality friends, no matter where I look. I only live an hour outside of Seattle. Everybody who was worthwhile, moved over there. Every time I go to the city I interact with good people, who aren't thinking and acting like the losers in my hometown.

I understand that even in the city there are people I should be avoiding, and not associating with.

How can I establish better friendships with people who are worth my time?

People who will help me get to where I want to go, instead of dragging me down.

I this is a childish question. If you want to cut them just do it. Just like I did, I didnt tell them no im not hanging out with you anymore, I would just tell them "You know what I would love to but I am will be busy that day" Go to nice places in your city even to a bar, gym, dancing classes. People with money and ambitions like enrolling in hobbies. Go to real estate meetups, there is always plenty of all kind of people there not just real estate investors. Add friends with money on social media !

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.