The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

When you don't have ideas. What should I do today?

Idea threads

Fab89

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Dec 30, 2017
Uk
At the moment I have no ideas for want I want to pursue.

What should I do about that?

I feel like I should be doing something today but not sure what that thing is. I'm sick of reading and watching videos about stuff.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Sep 11, 2018

I feel like I should be doing something today but not sure what that thing is. I'm sick of reading and watching videos about stuff.
There is a chapter about that on Unscripted .

BlokeInProgress

Business Building Warrior
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 6, 2014
Australia
Read threads from this forum. You'll pickup gold nuggets that'll get your thinking gears moving.

lejus

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Jun 8, 2017
UK
1. meditate
2. read
3. exercise
4. plan your day
5. investigate productivity and focus hacks
6. investigate habits forming and consider your habits their formation and better habit replacements
7. find industry that you like or that you think is profitable (second one is probably better), ask ppl from there how they've done it, call them, email them, message them, ask how would they start, what would they do,
8. take action, this thread is good, you ask ppl who done it how they done it, ask more, do more of what they said don't just take in information, use it
9. continue above for next 10 years, adjust as you go

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Step outside and go help someone.

Olimac21

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Dec 3, 2015
Belo Horizonte, Brasil

Talk to someone who knows more than you (mentor for example) or start analizing your past and problems you have solved in the last few years.

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Sep 11, 2018
I'm a software developer.
Then there are enough needs to be solved to keep you busy for 100 lives. Talk to people, find out what are their needs, and voila. Alternatively, do some research about any software product, see what are the complains of their users, and what you can improve.

GJoshi

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Oct 14, 2018

- You can create a web app that scrapes threads and questions (their links) from different forums and Q/A sites about topics related to Idea, idea generation, executing ideas, etc. This will create a huge directory of articles, questions, and answers related to a real problem you have and others might be having. And websites you're scraping data from won't mind because you are sending traffic to them.

I'm sick of reading and watching videos about stuff.

- Seems like you watch and read a lot of self-improvement, personal development, and self-help stuff, me too. You watch it, I watch it, and millions of others watch it. Why not use the same scraping system and create an auto-generated list of best self-help videos and content?

The obstacle is the way, my friend.

I'm a firm believer in the saying "Process yields ideas".

I'd recommend you to just pick something simple and start building it. Once you get in the process of creation, you'll realize you get tons of ideas about what you're creating and what surrounds it.

I hope I could make sense and could help you with your problem.

lejus

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Jun 8, 2017
UK
I'm a software developer.

I assume you work for someone right? Stop treating it like work and look at it as a spy project (become Fab007). Volunteer for any extra work, ask people who do other things in the company what they do, how and what's the biggest struggle they face in this company, how could it be solved. As soon as you have a picture of what are the most important aspects, and what basic skills you need. Start a similar company with improvements to problems they have. If they are very small, it should be easy to replace most of the things yourself, if they are very big there should be lots of inefficiencies to which you can offer solutions. One way or another, figure out how it works, start on your own, improve what can be improved, offer more value to your customers and you will be fine.

Baku85

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Mar 19, 2017
Spain
I was asking the same questions during past months.
Jumping from one idea to another, reading many books, watching YTs etc.
It dead end way. Of course its good to educate but not just educate.
So I started doing something.

I am a software developer, so well I decided I can do some web/mobile/plugins etc stuff quite easily.
Of course then few weeks more I needed to search internet if its worth it etc bla bla bla.
Everywhere ppl are saying mostly its saturated market, bla bla bla. But there are some ppl doing it and making money, because other ppl wants to buy those products.
So I decided to do smth, no matter what other ppl are saying. And I am doing it! Now while moving forward I see now some perspective there. I read book about selling, I have now more ideas how I could reach more ppl in need of my product. Now its still in dev mode but well I see now that I needed to just do smth. When I will finish it, which is comming soon, then I will start selling it, so I will learn a lot of things, and I know it. Of course there can be situation that no one would like to buy it, but well at least now I know how I am going to sell it. Even if no one will buy, I will get info why, what could I do better etc. etc. It is better than just reading next book for sure :)

My wife is starting also her own business. I am helping her a bit. New area for both of us, but we see potencial customers, so we are going into that direction.

Just do something in any area, with internet all those books, yt etc it is very easy now to get some good level of knowledge in most of areas. Even if you will get into saturated market so what :) You will try then be better than competition. Many ppl are saying, idea is not most important thing, most importat is execution where most of ppl fail.

Good luck

Zcott

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Jul 24, 2018

I know your frustration too well, and I suspect many forum users here do as well.

You're an aspiring entrepreneur, then you discover TMF and Unscripted , then the forum, read the threads. There's momentum and you're excited... but then some time passes and you find yourself wanting to move forward but you're still going around in circles.

Best advice I have seen on here (I think it might be in Unscripted , too) is just do something.

Follow a business model, start an ecommerce store, start a service in something you know and force yourself in the market. Doing that has a two fold effect.

1) You've actually done something. It's no longer 'one day' but 'day one.' Should you fail, the experience of doing something will help you in starting again because you now know you're capable and excuses are dumb.

And 2) you become more aware of what is a good idea and what is a bad idea. You start seeing problems where there wasn't one before.

I say this from experience. I was clueless on what to do, but I've started something and have broken mental barriers and found inspiration for new ideas in the future.

This was a bit lengthy, but I hope this helps.

Apo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Feb 19, 2019
London

Hi Fab, so I was a little bit like you 6 months ago and decided to start changing step by step. I have a 8 to 6 job currently in Finance in London and this industry killed my creativity that I had when younger.
For the past 5 years I had plenty of business ideas that I started developing but I was whether too late in the market, failing at differentiating my product enough or just not enough motivated by the idea to make it happen so these projects ended up not happening. I do not see this time as a waste of time because I met tones of people while studying and researching, I learnt about different topics (AI in Radiology, social networks, e-trading, nightlife and social events....) but at some point I was tired to still be at the same point....

So what I decided to do was to focus this year on things I wanted to do for myself, part of my bucket list that could be achieved on a short term, decided to change my routine and habits, to read on different topics and say yes a bit more often to new experiences (nothing that would harm my health though).

I decided to create a YouTube channel as hobby for 1 year to video document that as it gives me the feeling to work on my own little project, gets my imagination and creativity working again looking for new ideas and more than anything else, I can do it now and do not need anyone for that!

There is no downside as the aim is to use my brain again and get more creative by being creative!
It puts me in a better place to get more ideas about things outside of YouTube. The more you are creative, the MORE you are creative, I remembered that too late...

My advice to you is to find your own thing that will ask you to be creative on a daily basis, write a blog? Start interestin topics adding value on the Fastlane forum, go to more events to talk to people around, do something you love doing in a more creative way. If you like cooking, try to come up with new recipes, if you like playing music, try to create and write a song, if you like video games, try to build a small streaming channel... no matter what you do, just CREATE something, produce something. You will not necessarily end up being a chef, a song writer or Ninja the top streamer but you will prepare your brain to trigger new ideas and be creative again.

I do not aim to become a big YouTube Channel, I enjoy doing it as hobby and getting feedback to improve (especially the negative ones as I take that as challenges) but since I have been doing that I started again having more ideas about potential businesses and just it gave me a fresh motivation to achieve something that I had lost wasting my time working for an employer who does not give a s**t about me as a person but just see me as a cash generator for the company...

CREATE anything, change your habits and routine and more ideas will come!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.