The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

When to quit....

ryanbleau

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
223%
Jun 22, 2014
Scottsdale , Az
My day job? Funny question as this is a entrepreneur forum. Those that have read my progress thread kind of know my situation. Had a lucrative furniture design company out east. Sold off all the tooling and moved 2800 miles west to be where my heart desired. Started a small residential service company that apparently has become the talk of the town. In the meantime I have a day job as a Commercial plumber to the pay the bills while the business gains steam. It's only a matter of time before my time is strained and one will suffer. Do I wait till I start slacking at work because of my business and the run full steam with the business or gently let them down and proceed with my own work. At this point I am making more doing my own work. But not by a huge margin.

What is your personal benchmark for ending work for your own business?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Esquire

Divorce Shark
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Oct 13, 2012
Connecticut
What is your personal benchmark for ending work for your own business?

When I earn more money as an entrepreneur than I do practicing law ... that is when I think I will either throw in the towel "on my day job" ... or, at the very least, hire a couple associate attorneys to show up at my court hearings (so I don't have to).

I enjoy what I do (divorce attorney) ... call my own shots (self employed) ... so I don't mind trading time for money ... at least, for now.

But that would be my benchmark.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Maybe you could quit when your business pays you enough for you to be happy you have your monthly expenses covered, and when you have a bit of money set aside to cover a lean few months (the amount here depends on your circumstances).

Or maybe you can reduce your hours or days in work? I've used that tactic a lot, putting myself onto 3 day weeks or 5 hour days to free up time to work on my business.

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
As soon as you possibly can, even if that means eating ramen for a few months.

When you take the leap, when your business HAS to make it - it's sink or swim - is the turning point.

If you're past the point of proving the model, I say go all in.

What's the worst that will happen? Will they take your birthday away? Is it going to kill you?

Just jump, the safety net is there - you just can't see it.

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...rinter-off-the-balcony-and-quit-my-job.49257/

Little excerpt since you aren't an INSIDERS:

I told him I was making the orders myself and had just bought a thermal printer to make printing and shipping faster.

He said, "What?! Throw that F*cking printer out the window and get that shit outsourced so you can scale like a mofo." Well, 4 weeks later my shit was outsourced.

b7BJQwN.jpg

As promised, I threw my thermal printer off my balcony (there's video). I had gotten so many orders that I couldn't fulfill them. The next day I quit my job...

Last edited by a moderator:

revel

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Sep 26, 2015
so I don't mind trading time for money ... at least, for now.

Good post, but would it not be better to have freedom of time and place? Those assistant attorneys could be hired, and there would be freedom of time and place while still making money. I find that the problem is people like to chase more and more money when they could autopilot it and be able to travel and devote time to taking it easy.

To Ryan: My benchmark is when I'm tired of going to that other job, and there is noticeable strain in between both of those jobs it's time to quit. It's time to move on to what actually excites you. Because all in all one job will always suffer humans aren't made to multi-task and trying to focus on two things at once simply won't work out. If you quit that plumber job, and rely on your company to pay the bills it's worth it in the end because you will learn the experience of cutting corners to make things work in entrepreneurship...why not get that experience now then later on when the company is at its peak?

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
My benchmark is when I'm tired of going to that other job

^^^ I recently decided to use this as a benchmark. I probably start sabotaging things semi-subconciously when I'm in a contract and tired of it. Best to cut the chord before it gets to that stage.

EDIT: Welcome to the forum @revel

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.