The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

When did you realize the system is rigged?

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
For me, I discover it by watching and understanding the comedy speech by George Carlin entitled, Life is Worth Losing and observing my parents and peers on what they are doing in their everyday lives.

His speech was almost fit the definition of the SCRIPT.
My life has never been fair except in one way -- each human has 24 hours per day. It's our ONLY point of equality.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
I don’t understand, what is ment with rigged.

A entrepreneur builds a company. He employs people to work for him. He is free and not rigged. He rigs the other side.

The man working for that entrepreneur is in a rigged system,because he gets less than the entrepreneur?

Hm.

When he s ill, the entrepreneur has to pay his paycheck though and so on.

If a man gets the one or the other, its a question of choices.
But in my opinion its not a rigged systen from itself.

Shouldn t the question be: when did you recognize, that you have choices. Isn’t the FYM the point when you realize the choices you have?

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
Sometimes I feel like my company sat on the committee to write The Script.

In many ways, I can defend the pharmaceutical industry in good faith. But there are days when I know thegood things we do don't outweigh the reality of it all.

I was so enamored by my job.

I was a rock star.

Walk into an office with Starbucks in one hand and a briefcase full of drugs in the other hand. Cute receptionists smiling big and waving at me. A nurse gives me a big hug and grabs her venti skinny soymilk late and calls me a life saver. I got my fat bonus check yesterday and on our morning conference call the regional director said I'm the one to go to for clinical knowledge.

Then I see the doctor, "Oh (insert name of drug), how about you go into this room and tell this patient who's dying why her prescription costs $1,200 a month"

All I can do is parrot back the party line, "blah blah insurance companies suck blah blah patient assistance program blah blah."

Suddenly, Im not a rock star. I'm the face of a company who makes a great drug for really sick people... and the price keeps going up every month.

And then I meet the husband of the patient and he tells you it's ok. Because he'll pay whatever he needs to to keep his wife alive. And then he tells me that none of the hospitals will put her on a transplant list because she's too sick.

And then my day just goes to shit.

Combine that with:
  • Your CEO testifying before congress then getting fired with a $30 million severance
  • Realizing that you're not getting paid for almost half the prescriptions you sold
  • Realizing you're not going to hit quota because you're not getting paid on half of the scripts you sold
  • Getting sold the dream of middle management only to be told you're not qualified when the position opens up
That's when I realized the system is rigged. And it sucks. And the only reason I go to work in the morning is because I can put 20% of that pay check towards my business.

When did you realize the system was rigged? More importantly, what did you do about it?
To me it is about a rigged system. It is about leaving a sinking boat.

A good financial analyst who plays by the script is someone who studies cfa after work, and attend weekend network event, and in these days get involved in some ai projects to help financial institutions to cut cost.

Does not seem to go well with the trend of increasing automation and outsourcing.

Unless you have some unique and valuable skill that is replaceable by someone from China and India who is cheaper, and can outsmart and outwork you, and resistant towards the eventuality of automation, it is a dead end.

This is exacerbated by the growing work from home trend now. No one needs a visa to work on your job.

working hard for yourself there is still some good chance.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
I don’t understand, what is ment with rigged.

A entrepreneur builds a company. He employs people to work for him. He is free and not rigged. He rigs the other side.

The man working for that entrepreneur is in a rigged system,because he gets less than the entrepreneur?

Hm.

When he s ill, the entrepreneur has to pay his paycheck though and so on.

If a man gets the one or the other, its a question of choices.
But in my opinion its not a rigged systen from itself.

Shouldn t the question be: when did you recognize, that you have choices. Isn’t the FYM the point when you realize the choices you have?
Yes. You are telling the truth that we have choices. And by you knowing that truth, you are able to step out of that box.

A lot of different aspects can be considered "rigged". Some people have built-in advantages -- or they look that way. But, are they really???? I can look at my life from a longer view and know that some of those advantages are "golden handcuffs". They actually stop the person from succeeding and reaching their potential. Here's an example:
When I was 19, (a long, long time ago) I was a country girl who went to downtown Los Angeles to make my fortune. I went to a start-up college that is now world-famous for its students. It was a private, specialized education. Most of the other students had a lot of advantages. Their daddies paid for their apartments and their living expenses. They had unlimited school supplies. I was working just about full time, going to school full time, and I could barely buy enough food. The others made fun of me every day because I had no social life and I was working so hard. I only had the school supplies which were included in my tuition. I had to make them last for the whole semester. But, I made straight As while they muddled through the classes. I made friends with my teachers and professors who gave me great references and insights. I got a stellar education that I still daily use today. The other student's advantages actually held them back because they didn't grab onto that opportunity as I did. I was there to learn -- they were there to hang out. Yes, the system appeared to be "rigged" against me. It worked perfectly for me. I've collected a few other college degrees since those early days in Los Angeles. But, I'm still grateful for the attention I got from my teacher and professors during that first run at higher education.

As an editing note: I never expected to get a fair shake. I always knew the system was "rigged" against little country girls like me. I always knew I must work harder and smarter than people who born with a silver spoon in their mouths. I saw that many of their advantages were really an Achilles' Heel. Most of the time, it would lead to their downfall either from them making a major misstep or complacency. I had to do nothing -- but keep on working. It was my leg up on the system. AND I ALWAYS KNEW I WOULD WIN IN THE END. I accepted that I would lose a few battles along the way, but the war was mine.

Last edited:

Velo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Nov 25, 2020
Realized it at the age of ~18, right when I went to college. I was so demoralized I lost all motivation to continue. Needless to say the next several years were not very kind to me.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Realized it at the age of ~18, right when I went to college. I was so demoralized I lost all motivation to continue. Needless to say the next several years were not very kind to me.
Uh? Years wasted? Allowing your life to shaped by events or others? Someone must have given you an unrealistic view of the world!

My world view was always pretty down to earth. I've never had built-in advantages of a "privileged birth". I'm a "boot-strap kid" who climbed out of a modest beginning. (I'm still amazed when I have a run of good luck.) I knew from the start that I must work longer and harder than the "chosen few". And I must be better educated and prepared in order to come out on top. Additionally, I believe that I must cheerfully optimistic and have a good sense of humor while I'm working through my day. Those basic beliefs make my moments, my days, and my years very kind to me. I've done more than I ever dreamed of when I was young.

knazzaro710

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Dec 20, 2020

I understand that :/ something similar to what I'm going through right now. However, I wasn't fortunate enough to realize quite that early. After I got my undergraduate degree in psychology, I knew that I needed a Master's to do anything in that career. I took time off from school after undergrad and I wish more than anything that I realized the system was rigged during that time off.

I didn't get to reading TMF until this year. Now, I'm in a Master's program and feel like every minute I spend doing schoolwork or being educated by the system is a complete lie. Although there is an extreme amount of intrinsic value I can provide in this career and truly have a passion for it, I have absolutely NO MOTIVATION to do anything that feeds into this system, but 1.5 years left of my program.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
I understand that :/ something similar to what I'm going through right now. However, I wasn't fortunate enough to realize quite that early. After I got my undergraduate degree in psychology, I knew that I needed a Master's to do anything in that career. I took time off from school after undergrad and I wish more than anything that I realized the system was rigged during that time off.

I didn't get to reading TMF until this year. Now, I'm in a Master's program and feel like every minute I spend doing schoolwork or being educated by the system is a complete lie. Although there is an extreme amount of intrinsic value I can provide in this career and truly have a passion for it, I have absolutely NO MOTIVATION to do anything that feeds into this system, but 1.5 years left of my program.
You sound SO disillusioned! What's your purpose in Life?

knazzaro710

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Dec 20, 2020
You sound SO disillusioned! What's your purpose in Life?

Well I don't know if disillusioned is the correct word because I am so grateful that I have experienced this change in mindset. Ever since I have started this journey (despite only being a year into it) I have already grown, experienced, and learned so much more than I initially thought possible. I'm sorry if I came off as unhappy despite this realization.

I think what's frustrating me the most is the cognitive dissonance I feel between my beliefs and actions that are geared towards entrepreneurship and being in an environment that is essentially part of the system.

The truth is, I 100% feel and know that pursuing a business that generates significant value to its audience is what I want to put my all into., no matter how long it takes. My confusion lies in my current extremely expensive commitment and its current worth to me. Does the end career provide extreme value and give me a huge sense of fulfillment? Yes. But is it also part of a system that I'll essentially only be a cog in, with little control to ever make the true impact I strive for? also Yes.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Well I don't know if disillusioned is the correct word because I am so grateful that I have experienced this change in mindset. Ever since I have started this journey (despite only being a year into it) I have already grown, experienced, and learned so much more than I initially thought possible. I'm sorry if I came off as unhappy despite this realization.

I think what's frustrating me the most is the cognitive dissonance I feel between my beliefs and actions that are geared towards entrepreneurship and being in an environment that is essentially part of the system.

The truth is, I 100% feel and know that pursuing a business that generates significant value to its audience is what I want to put my all into., no matter how long it takes. My confusion lies in my current extremely expensive commitment and its current worth to me. Does the end career provide extreme value and give me a huge sense of fulfillment? Yes. But is it also part of a system that I'll essentially only be a cog in, with little control to ever make the true impact I strive for? also Yes.
I know how you feel. I went to law school when I was in my early 40s. I knew before the end of the first year that I didn't want to be an attorney. It wasn't about justice and fair play -- it was about applying books and books of rules...
Yes, I finished and I'm a Juris Doctor. I ended up being an expert witness in RE and doing litigation support. That career lasted for many years and I loved it. I knew the RE business and I knew the legal business. It gave me a leg up. Overall, was it worth the education, time, and the costs? There are many times that I really asked myself. I was working full time during those years in school and carrying 9 grad units. Then I had to pay off the student loans... But, the bottom line is -- yes. I still use that education everyday -- even in my retirement.
Your field of study has MANY uses. I would lean into it. Understanding the how and why of human behavior can take you a long ways. It's your education. You do whatever you want with it!

knazzaro710

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Dec 20, 2020
I know how you feel. I went to law school when I was in my early 40s. I knew before the end of the first year that I didn't want to be an attorney. It wasn't about justice and fair play -- it was about applying books and books of rules...
Yes, I finished and I'm a Juris Doctor. I ended up being an expert witness in RE and doing litigation support. That career lasted for many years and I loved it. I knew the RE business and I knew the legal business. It gave me a leg up. Overall, was it worth the education, time, and the costs? There are many times that I really asked myself. I was working full time during those years in school and carrying 9 grad units. Then I had to pay off the student loans... But, the bottom line is -- yes. I still use that education everyday -- even in my retirement.
Your field of study has MANY uses. I would lean into it. Understanding the how and why of human behavior can take you a long ways. It's your education. You do whatever you want with it!
that's a great way to look at it and I appreciate this perspective on graduate schooling. You're right, whatever knowledge I'm learning now can help me even if I don't necessarily work in that career. I'm glad you achieved a positive outcome from your education even if it led to something different than you imagined.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
that's a great way to look at it and I appreciate this perspective on graduate schooling. You're right, whatever knowledge I'm learning now can help me even if I don't necessarily work in that career. I'm glad you achieved a positive outcome from your education even if it led to something different than you imagined.
You will have a lot of social pressure when you finish and you don't followed the expected path -- I sure did. My friends assumed that I would fall into line. They thought I had to buy the right car and the right house and the right wardrobe and belong to the right club...

Since I had been in RE for years and had several credentials, I could have stepped right into being a RE attorney... and made $500 per hour... but, I had a nightmare. I dreamed I was stuck in an office, filled with piles of fat files that were stacked waist deep. And I had huge nocturnal eyes from never seeing the sunlight. I was coming in before the sun came up and going home after it set. I was eating my lunch at my desk. All I was doing was contract work -- paper after paper. UG! Oh how I hate paperwork and love RE field work!

So, I bought a little rag-top sports car and I spent most of my time on the road going from job to job. I had jobs from Central California down to Mexico -- and over into Arizona and Nevada. By the time I retired, I turned down 2 or 3 jobs for everyone I took. I was single women who had no pets or house plants. My whole life was geared to my business. I was living in the Greater Los Angeles area. I just got in my little car and I went where I wanted, when I wanted. I consulted for banks, the Federal Government, attorneys and I also did a lot of residential/commercial appraising during those years. I started off with my own corner office in the building down the street manned by my 4 secretaries. In the end, I moved my office into my extra bedroom. It was me, my digital camera, my computer system, and my cell phone. The digital advances meant that I no longer needed secretaries.

I hope my story inspires you. I have gone and done more than I ever could have dreamed. I came from a very modest beginning. I ended up in Los Angeles playing with the big boys. It took a LOT of work and education (4 college degrees, multiple licenses, and lots of experience). I was working and going to school when others were partying. BUT, I never forgot where I started and I've always been grateful for all the breaks I got over the years.

knazzaro710

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Dec 20, 2020
You will have a lot of social pressure when you finish and you don't followed the expected path -- I sure did. My friends assumed that I would fall into line. They thought I had to buy the right car and the right house and the right wardrobe and belong to the right club...

Since I had been in RE for years and had several credentials, I could have stepped right into being a RE attorney... and made $500 per hour... but, I had a nightmare. I dreamed I was stuck in an office, filled with piles of fat files that were stacked waist deep. And I had huge nocturnal eyes from never seeing the sunlight. I was coming in before the sun came up and going home after it set. I was eating my lunch at my desk. All I was doing was contract work -- paper after paper. UG! Oh how I hate paperwork and love RE field work!

So, I bought a little rag-top sports car and I spent most of my time on the road going from job to job. I had jobs from Central California down to Mexico -- and over into Arizona and Nevada. By the time I retired, I turned down 2 or 3 jobs for everyone I took. I was single women who had no pets or house plants. My whole life was geared to my business. I was living in the Greater Los Angeles area. I just got in my little car and I went where I wanted, when I wanted. I consulted for banks, the Federal Government, attorneys and I also did a lot of residential/commercial appraising during those years. I started off with my own corner office in the building down the street manned by my 4 secretaries. In the end, I moved my office into my extra bedroom. It was me, my digital camera, my computer system, and my cell phone. The digital advances meant that I no longer needed secretaries.

I hope my story inspires you. I have gone and done more than I ever could have dreamed. I came from a very modest beginning. I ended up in Los Angeles playing with the big boys. It took a LOT of work and education (4 college degrees, multiple licenses, and lots of experience). I was working and going to school when others were partying. BUT, I never forgot where I started and I've always been grateful for all the breaks I got over the years.

Wow! That truly is an amazing journey and thank you so much for sharing. It's so incredible how life can work itself out in your favor with the right mindset, determination, and action taking. It just goes to show you that any education or background can be leveraged toward a goal, even if your goal is completely different from the norm of the educational background. I'm so glad you were able to achieve amazing things in your business can only make sure I put myself in circumstances and work my tail off to achieve similar results!

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska

Think about it. I didn't know that girls couldn't do commercial appraising -- there was only 7% women in that business. I was doing it by the time that the "Good-'ol-Boys" caught up with me and let me know that I wasn't welcome. I thought they were joking, but they were serious. And they were too late to stop me. I had a whole list of clients and I was busy. It was the 1980s. By the time they licensed RE appraisers in the 1990s, I had taken their classes and I qualified for a Certified General license -- the highest license that they give out.

Most of the stuff I've done has been similar -- I didn't know that I couldn't do it -- so I just jumped in started. I found out what classes and education I needed. I got the licenses. And I used my selling skills to set up a client base. I cold called. I showed up. And I baked piles and piles of chocolate chip cookies. I wrappedup one dozen, home-made cookies and added my business card to the ribbon on the cookies... to give out with every visit to my clients and potential clients. At that time, I had to deliver the appraisal reports in person. I took it as an opportunity to make my clients smile. I also gave the cookies to planning people and counter people at the different cities and counties where I had to research the properties. I was always welcome with those cookies and my big smile.

Last edited:

knazzaro710

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Dec 20, 2020
Think about it. I didn't know that girls couldn't do commercial appraising -- there was only 7% women in that business. I was doing it by the time that the "Good-'ol-Boys" caught up with me and let me know that I wasn't welcome. I thought they were joking, but they were serious. And they were too late to stop me. I had a whole list of clients and I was busy. It was the 1980s. By the time they licensed RE appraisers in the 1990s, I had taken their classes and I qualified for a Certified General license -- the highest license that they give out.

Most of the stuff I've done has been similar -- I didn't know that I couldn't do it -- so I just jumped in started. I found out what classes and education I needed. I got the licenses. And I used my selling skills to set up a client base. I cold called. I showed up. And I baked piles and piles of chocolate chip cookies. I wrappedup one dozen, home-made cookies and added my business card to the ribbon on the cookies... to give out with every visit to my clients and potential clients. At that time, I had to deliver the appraisal reports in person. I took it as an opportunity to make my clients smile. I also gave the cookies to planning people and counter people at the different cities and counties where I had to research the properties. I was always welcome with those cookies and my big smile.

thats amazing that you really went above and beyond to show potential customers they are valued, which should be how every business operates! When you put the customer first and aim to impact their life, success will likely follow.

And in terms of not having the knowledge that it was frowned upon for girls to conduct business in your field, ignorance was truly bliss! I've always said that half of any battle in the mindset and knowing what we are capable of. If you believe you are not able to succeed in something, it'll likely be a self-fulfilling prophecy. Just have to keep attention where it matters most! Thanks for sharing your story!

Jdes91

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Oct 5, 2020
I think it was when I got my first pay cheque working in the health system. I saw the crazy amount of money that was deducted in taxes and fees. Then months later when I applied for a permanent position my hours got cut from 39 to 35 hours a week which made it even more difficult to save and invest money on top of all the costs of living on my own. Also, there was a lot of down time at my job which made me realize that I could be putting some of that energy towards building a small business or designing a product that could make me money. I read the millionaire fastlane and the rest is history.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
I think it’s true for pretty much every country that the nation was sold out to international bankers by globalist shill politicians a long time ago. The times we are witnessing today is just an expansion of what was already happening.

Everything will be paid for by taxpayers whether anybody likes it or not. No democracy, no due process, no nothing.

Taxpayers should be paying less as the economy expands not more. We should only add money to our money supply as the economy grows not when it’s shutdown.

The most “rigged” part of our system is our monetary system. It’s why universities keep building big building and yet add very little value to our economy.

hellolin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 27, 2015
Some food for thought...

View attachment 36361

I work indirectly with one of those, who owns the most expensive one. I get paid well, don't do much, have no skin in the game, and you are paying for it, and no, you have no choice to opt out either. I know it's rigged cause I am living in it, only that I know for most people, they don't think it's rigged.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.