The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

When did you decide to turn the side hustle into the main hustle?

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Danny Schaffer

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Mar 4, 2017
South Africa
I'm on the verge of quitting my job to take on my side-project store full-time. Have come across some great eCommerce related info on how to make the transition from hobbyist to business owner. But really want to hear from actual business owners in all industries who've done it successfully or unsuccessfully.
  1. How did you know when it was the right time to leave your job, or other projects to give all your time and energy to your side project?
  2. Were you making enough profit to cover your expenses?
  3. What are some other great resources that helped you take the leap?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Xavier X

Gold Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Jan 1, 2016
These United States
I made a 1 year exit timeline, and informed upper management at about 6 months left to go.
"In 6 months, I'll be moving on, so there's ample time to start shopping for a replacement for me."

Why did I do that? Sometimes you need to corner yourself into doing things you keep putting off - with little wiggle room.

I knew it was time, because my 9-5 was overly time intensive, and physically incompatible with my business direction.
I was closing my physical business (with employees running it), and transitioning to Owner-Operator, so it wasn't feasible with a 9-5.

I had some money saved up, but nothing major, because my physical business had taken all of it.
I was in destroy and rebuild mode. It had to be done, and that's what I did. I haven't looked back since (3 years ago).

It was a lot easier, because I was in my 20s and had no financial obligations to anyone else.
However, those with a family to care for might want to err on the side of @Vigilante 's advice above.

Hassen

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Mar 13, 2015
As soon as my side hustle earned as much as my salary I quit my job immediately. And when my little ecommerce business' earnings fluctuate I just freelance here and there to bring in more cash, but still by doing things I like... or at least don't hate. Man did I hate my office job.

I would say having the side income replace your main income before you take the leap is an absolute must... or maybe if you have half a year's living expense saved up it would probably help a bit, but still without a stable salary you just get buried in stress instead of being able to actually use the freed up time to work on your business.

Also idk about you guys, but what happened with me is when I quit my job, I ended up spending a year just traveling and chilling and spending all my savings without really working on expanding my FBA business, lol
No regrets tho!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
  1. How did you know when it was the right time to leave your job, or other projects to give all your time and energy to your side project?
  2. Were you making enough profit to cover your expenses?
  3. What are some other great resources that helped you take the leap?

1. When the going to the day job was costing me more in lost profits, than it was making me in salary.
2. Yes
3. Hating my job helped a bunch, haha.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!