The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What's better than low hanging fruit?

Marketing, social media, advertising

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Apples that are already falling out of the tree!

Think of paid search as putting the basket under the tree to catch the apples already falling out of the tree.

If you shake the tree so more apples fall out of the tree (via all other marketing channels), it seems sensible to ALREADY have your baskets waiting under the tree doesn't it?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I don't know what this means yet but I'm sure in due time I will get to that point and love it, ha!
Lol... it's me not explaining it well enough. :)

Let say you're selling "Get Right Sports". It's a new brand of tyres and no-one has ever searched for them on Google.

You build your business and get your first customers and word of mouth. Maybe you even bid on Google for "sports tyres" and manage to "increase brand recognition" (puk...) by having "Get Right Sports Tyres" in your ad.

People start telling friends about the great deal they had for these awesome sports tyres, from some new brand called "Get Right Sports".

Their friends go to Google to search for these fabulous new tyres.

And they can't find you.

In my mind, you've generated demand for your product, without ensuring you're there on Google to fulfil that demand when it starts to grow.

Your smart competitors will spot this new brand name, and start bidding on it, and they will try and sell to those sports tyre seekers.

They've capitalised on all your hard work.

The whole tree thing is how I often explain it to people.

If you want to get some apples from that apple tree in your back yard, what's the first thing you should do?

Should you leave your basket on your kitchen floor and hope that the apples fall into it?

Hmmm... that doesn't work.

Maybe you should go out there and shake the tree harder so there's a better chance of an apple falling into the basket in your kitchen?

Ha... that's even dumber.

Or maybe you should go and put your basket under the tree to catch the lovely ripe apples that are ALREADY falling out of the tree.

THEN, with your correctly positioned basket, you can go and shake the hell out of the tree, not worrying that they will fall into your competitors baskets.

This video explains it too:

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
Ahh, sweet! So you could test a product for viability, then back off - put out your baskets, then start shaking. Pretty cool, tks!

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Ahh, sweet! So you could test a product for viability, then back off - put out your baskets, then start shaking. Pretty cool, tks!

^^^ Yes, that too.

I'm more worried about people going off doing other marketing endevours without bidding on their brand.

This post explains it a bit more:

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
What's better than low hanging fruit (continued...)

I had a call with someone yesterday and realised I've expanded on this metaphor a bit since I initially wrote it.

You want to make an apple tart. There's an apple tree in your back garden.

The apples already falling out of the tree! The apples that are already in motion.

Before you go and shake the tree and get more apples to fall out of it, you should make sure your basket is already placed under the tree to catch the apples that are already falling out of it.

(Before you generate demand for your product/service, fulfil the demand that's already there. Help the people in motion first.)

However, if you want to make an apple tart, what's even better than apples already falling out of the tree?

The apples already in your basket!

Don't neglect what's you've already got.

Maybe it's current clients/customers that you can either entice back, or sell something else too.

Maybe it's people you already know that might need your product or service.

Maybe you can start by helping family and friends, before you go further afield.

Ika

Busy Idiot
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Aug 9, 2016
Germany
My end goal is to have the apple in my mouth left to chew!
aka not longer doing the work, but have someone or something doing the work (putting the apple in my mouth) for me :)

But until then, great image to explain that system! It makes me rethink a lot..

safff

Redlining
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 11, 2015

Apples that are already falling out of the tree!

Think of paid search as putting the basket under the tree to catch the apples already falling out of the tree.

If you shake the tree so more apples fall out of the tree (via all other marketing channels), it seems sensible to ALREADY have your baskets waiting under the tree doesn't it?

Have got to say a huge thanks for your posts Andy! Have spent the last week or so spending more time digesting them and taking a critical view of my ads and landing pages (especially since reading 'landing pages do not convert' I've been looking at the focal points and looking at how the landing page/product page/offer delivers on the Ad).Still haven't mastered the target audience side of it but have righted some mistakes that I wasn't even really aware of. Really appreciate it!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.