The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What it feels like to provide value...and why that's all that matters

LordGanon

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
294%
Jun 22, 2020
Germany
So I've given the whole idea of value vs. money-chasing some thought for the past few weeks.

It's true, and I'm pretty sure a lot of us are guilty: We're often in it because of the money. Not because we want to provide value. Instead, we chase through ideas, hoping to find the one shortcut. Although we know that there are no shortcuts in life. And even if we found it: We could have used the time we spent looking for the shortcut building something meaningful.

A few days ago, something interesting happened. Out of curiosity, I googled myself. I found stuff about university lectures and talks I held and about my political activities, mostly.

But then, I stumbled across something interesting.

Some guy wrote a blog article about a robotics project he was building. He mentioned my name several times. He had used the source code I wrote for an electronic compass. That Chinaware absolutely did not do what the specifications said it would, but I made it run, anyway. I blogged about this. That source code I wrote allowed him to complete his robotics project. He said it was the only working source code on the internet he could find.

A few months earlier, an elderly man wrote me an email because he had found my source code, too, and asked me to program a plane model for him, because my source code was the only working code he found and he really wanted to enter an autonomic model plane contest.

I remembered that. And then I began to cry. You might wonder why.

The last couple of years have been hard. My alcoholism and my depression nearly killed me, several times. I had to move back in with my mother. I really hit rock bottom. I had absolutely no feeling of self-worth left.

To pass the time in unemployment after my time in psychiatry, I picked up electronics and programming Arduinos. So I was sitting there in the basement of my mother and taught myself how to program microcontrollers and electronic components. I found a problem I was very frustrated with, solved it, and shared the solution.

Yes, indeed, I need money. I'm in debt, and I don't want to be.

But you know what really made me happy that day that I googled myself? That although I had ruined my life and was dwelling in the basement of my mother, I apparently managed to provide value to the life of others. And I finally felt a glimpse of self-worth again. And that's something money can't buy.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Incredible story, thank you for sharing...

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
So I've given the whole idea of value vs. money-chasing some thought for the past few weeks.

It's true, and I'm pretty sure a lot of us are guilty: We're often in it because of the money. Not because we want to provide value. Instead, we chase through ideas, hoping to find the one shortcut. Although we know that there are no shortcuts in life. And even if we found it: We could have used the time we spent looking for the shortcut building something meaningful.

A few days ago, something interesting happened. Out of curiosity, I googled myself. I found stuff about university lectures and talks I held and about my political activities, mostly.

But then, I stumbled across something interesting.

Some guy wrote a blog article about a robotics project he was building. He mentioned my name several times. He had used the source code I wrote for an electronic compass. That Chinaware absolutely did not do what the specifications said it would, but I made it run, anyway. I blogged about this. That source code I wrote allowed him to complete his robotics project. He said it was the only working source code on the internet he could find.

A few months earlier, an elderly man wrote me an email because he had found my source code, too, and asked me to program a plane model for him, because my source code was the only working code he found and he really wanted to enter an autonomic model plane contest.

I remembered that. And then I began to cry. You might wonder why.

The last couple of years have been hard. My alcoholism and my depression nearly killed me, several times. I had to move back in with my mother. I really hit rock bottom. I had absolutely no feeling of self-worth left.

To pass the time in unemployment after my time in psychiatry, I picked up electronics and programming Arduinos. So I was sitting there in the basement of my mother and taught myself how to program microcontrollers and electronic components. I found a problem I was very frustrated with, solved it, and shared the solution.

Yes, indeed, I need money. I'm in debt, and I don't want to be.

But you know what really made me happy that day that I googled myself? That although I had ruined my life and was dwelling in the basement of my mother, I apparently managed to provide value to the life of others. And I finally felt a glimpse of self-worth again. And that's something money can't buy.
Wow. Thanks for sharing.

1) You didn’t ruin your life.

2) Help people at scale and when you’re asleep. Put that helpful or entertaining article, code, advice, video or whatever out there and people might start finding it. It’s amazing to think people can get value from something you created years ago. MJ is the perfect example.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Feedback loop! Keep going and going and going and going like the little energizer bunny

Create_Value

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
400%
Aug 9, 2018
Way to go, LG! A life of meaningful service is far more valuable than a life spent in selfish pursuit of "success."

Be mindful of the internal narrative you live...because it creates much of the emotion you generate from the inside out. Don't lock yourself into a narrative where you are "a failure." This is just a chapter of your life, and the next chapter is beginning now.

schazz

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Jul 12, 2013
New York
Thank you for being vulnerable and sharing that. And I know this post isn't about making money exactly, but it sounds like you have the knowledge and ability to create things that people would pay you for as well.

smokeybear

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 27, 2020
Orange, CA

LordGanon, thanks for sharing your story. It times like that that we must remember our self-worth. We always need to recognize the power that we bring to the world. We all have strengths and weaknesses to deal with. The reality is, we must lean into what we're good at and continue to grow in areas that we're not so solid in. As an inspiring entrepreneur, I'm excited at learning about myself and putting processes and systems into the world. Based on your story, you've already started that process too. Like Winston Churchill once said, "If you're going through hell, keep going!"

Keep your head up brother! Brighter days are ahead!

Best,

Raul

Photool

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jul 17, 2020
Orlando Florida
Most times our greatest pains and struggles become our greatest assets.

They help us see what we want and what we don't want.
They help us discover the learning lessons
They help us wake up to each of our own individual reasons, drives, and desires .

It's interesting but the things we usually struggle with most of our lives become our life purpose . We strive so deeply to overcome them our-self that we can then help others overcome it by sharing our failures , successes, and insights.

Your'e on the path my friend, don't let off @LordGanon

Daemonyos

Eudaimonia.
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Aug 3, 2020
Austria
When a man is at his lowest, you'll learn wo he really is.
That's what got you into programming - that's what got me into being obsessed with fixing me and at the same time helping immensely ill friends of mine.

Helping people is pure bliss.

mr4ffe

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Nov 3, 2018
Stockholm, Sweden
But people on the internet always tell me business owners are selfish and evil!

Seriously though, keep up the good work! I'm sure you'll find a way to make money by bringing value to others.

themarkboogie

Mamba Mentality
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Oct 8, 2020
Bay Area, California
Awesome stuff, man. Felt sad to hear about your lows but inspired hearing about your highs.

Also, glad to hear providing value to someone else brought you happiness. A lot of things in life can't be quantitatively measured and those are usually the things that really matter at the end of the day.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.