The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What is the best book on sales?

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I've been doing sales for 10+ years now.

I can tell you with some certainty that SPIN Selling is by far the most ACCURATE book on effective selling I've ever seen. By that I mean if you look at what the top salespeople do, and compare it to what is in this book, it lines up 1:1.

Be warned - it isn't a "feel good" story book. It is a serious book on sales methods with plenty of examples and explanations for everything.

If you are serious about picking up a serious book on sales - you really can't go wrong with this.

And if you find you are in need of a pick-me-up book on selling and attitude go find Og Mandino's Greatest Salesman in the World. It's essentially sales brainwashing - repeating good advice over and over for about 10 months in incremental steps. I found when I was down and out and just hated people and picking up the phone, this book (audio version anyway) really helped put my mind back in the right place.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

xaviel

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Jul 23, 2012
Canada
Mastering Influence by Anthony Robbins - Step by step blueprint on how to become a top Salesman. Talks about the psychology, the strategy and the tactics. Its the complete package. And it only costs $300. (Audio CDs + Workbook). If you can only buy 1 thing, buy this.

The Ultimate Sales Machine by Chet Holmes (book). $30. It will give you a complete blueprint on how to maximize your sales & marketing efforts. Everything will be firing on all cylinders. Shows you how to setup systems for your sales & marketing.

The Ultimate Business Mastery by Anthony Robbins and Chet Holmes. $2000 ($10,000 now?). Takes all the concepts from the Ultimate Sales Machine, and Mastering Influence, and goes WAY deeper in each of them. This program is for CEOs. ITs gives you a complete blueprint, strategy & tactic layout on how to run your Sales & Marketing (Each component: Agents, advertising, presentations, etc). This is 70+ hrs of material in a DVD format. Everything is step by step, it has a logical flow to it. It has assignments as well. I highly recommend this program.

My thoughts on Straight Line Persuasion System. $2000. Not worth the money. I went through the entire 10 (or 12?) DVDs and its a diluted version of Mastering Influence. Jordan's thoughts are ALL OVER THE PLACE. And its hard to follow. It could of been easily only 1 DVD. The summary is: 1) Be sharp as a tact. 2) Your tonality is extremely important. There is no homework, no blueprint, etc. Its very ad hock.

Bottom line, if you want a complete system, get Mastering Influence: (Step by Step, applicable to all sorts of industries, has homework, easy to follow). If you have the money, go for the Ultimate Business Mastery program.

I hope this helps.

Greg

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
What is the absolute best book that you have ever read on all things sales?

There is no objectively "best" book on anything, let alone sales.

As far as sales goes, it depends who you ask.

If you value empirical evidence and logic as your guide to success, then the two best books on sales ever written are SPIN Selling and Rainmaker. The former describes the only empirically proven (superior) method of closing large clients. The latter describes how top-producers ( at least seven figure annual earners) get their clients.

A lot of people on this forum seem to get a hard on over how to make $1,000 in a week, a few thousand a month, over-obsessed with hitting some (usually low) threshold of monthly income.

The aforementioned books are for men, not boys.

Boys chase little money.

Men chase the type of MJ DeMarco money that gets you real freedom.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
What is the absolute best book that you have ever read on all things sales?

The phone book. Start calling people. Make up a product. See if you can sell them on it.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I've been doing sales for 10+ years now.

I can tell you with some certainty that SPIN Selling is by far the most ACCURATE book on effective selling I've ever seen. By that I mean if you look at what the top salespeople do, and compare it to what is in this book, it lines up 1:1.

Be warned - it isn't a "feel good" story book. It is a serious book on sales methods with plenty of examples and explanations for everything.

If you are serious about picking up a serious book on sales - you really can't go wrong with this.

And if you find you are in need of a pick-me-up book on selling and attitude go find Og Mandino's Greatest Salesman in the World. It's essentially sales brainwashing - repeating good advice over and over for about 10 months in incremental steps. I found when I was down and out and just hated people and picking up the phone, this book (audio version anyway) really helped put my mind back in the right place.

After JAJTs recommendation a long time ago to read this book I have to second what he says here.

I also want to add that if you are starting a sales intensive business, make sure you can scale before you sock 3 years into it... Don't ask me why I know.

Oh and the Zig Ziglar sales book is pretty good too.

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
Green Eggs and Ham, Sam-I-Am was persistent and always closing.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Is this for real ? Are you people getting paid?

Are you for real? You come back and revive your old thread with statements like this? AND you never handed out one thank you to those that took the time to reply to your original question?

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan
For sales psychology, I am a HUGE fan of Influence by Robert Cialdini, for sales copy, CA$HVERTISING. The 7 core principles Cialdini teaches you in the book play such an integral part in all sales related approaches. The principle of reciprocation alone is a very powerful tool. Give someone something for free, no matter how big or small, and they will be indebted to you and feel obligated to return the favor to you. This usually results in them feeling obliged to buy from you.

EEasyMoney

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 14, 2013
California, USA
I'm going old school on this one...

Ziglar on Selling - Zig Ziglar.

It might not be 100% relevant today, since it was written before there was even an internet, but a salesman is a salesman. It's a state of mind that is most important, not what channels you use to sell in.

Rafal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jul 14, 2011
Warsaw, Poland
there's also one little know book that's good:

The Secret of Selling Anything - by Harry Browne
which is recommended by many top copywriters.

Good stuff.

This book refutes selling clichés accepted without question for years,
and proves in terms of the real world as it is that the stereotyped image
of the “born salesman” is a mistake. Here is a painless way to become
a good salesman, to influence others, to become more in demand,
to increase your sales significantly, and make more money
~ without remaking your personality, without becoming forceful,
aggressive, or eloquent.

zoomzoom

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Apr 22, 2013
Without a doubt, Jordan Belfort's "Straight Line System" if you are going to invest in your sales education, invest in Jordan - I have lived and died by the sale for 3 decades up until 4 years ago when I got into online marketing and I would give 6 out of a 5 star rating for anyone wanting to become not a better salesman... a master of sales!

The object is to see yourself and the close on a straight line (you ------> the close) and all of your actions in between must stay as close to that line as possible, actions being "gathering intelligence" about your prospect, why they are interested in ___ are they ready to buy etc and getting the prospect to know, trust and love your product, you (and your company) you need to be in control of the sale from beginning to end... NOTHING ELSE MATTERS but staying on the straight line... assuming that the product will actually help the prospect. You never sell for the sake of making a sale.

You can learn more about it here: Jordan Belfort Straight Line Sales Psychology he's got books, courses and seminars.

Kencan98

Fair Enough?
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Aug 6, 2013
Long Island, NY
Belforts stuff IS all over the place but it's still worth ten times what he charges. Yeah, he talks about state management and all the other PD stuff but if you can just master the art of LOOPING you'll triple your sales instantly. Yes, it's watered down compared to his older stuff but the main parts of it are still in tact and the main reason why it works is the looping at the end. You build a logical and emotional case as to why the person should buy (the 3 10's) and with every "no" you just keep looping over and over again and building on the 10's. If it's done correctly and the person is a qualified prospect the call either ends up with you getting hung up on or him buying.

D

Deleted14762

Jordan Belfort's training program

Price?
Can I torrent it?

Nevermind, 2k.. 3k.. One hell of an entrepreneur haha
Sounds like the tony robbins of the sales world. Lots of motivation..for even more moneyyyy
Trust me, it's the greatest sales course out there, by a guy who made 200m pitching stocks, now that's something you should invest into. And once you start raking money with this system, you'll be sending your kids to the finest schools. ;)

S

stranger

How to be a sales superstar by Mark Tewart is no bad reading.

Really, there's not 1 book which can teach you how to sell. You know something from here and there.
For example, the good title sells a bad book.:cool:

InLikeFlint

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Nov 19, 2012
Michigan, USA
Experience > Reading a Book - Go out and start making sales, you'll get the hang of it pretty quick!

shoaib

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Jul 14, 2013
I would say listen to Dan Kennedy & Jay Abraham courses.

Nothing more you need to kick it out of the part!

Skys

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Dec 20, 2011
The Netherlands

Price?
Can I torrent it?

Sounds like the tony robbins of the sales world. Lots of motivation..for even more moneyyyy

Kencan98

Fair Enough?
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Aug 6, 2013
Long Island, NY

Price?
Can I torrent it?

It's worth the $2,000. I have it and I'm also very good friends with a person who was a trainee at Stratton (still in the business) and he still uses the same pitch books he had back then when he brings someone new onto his team.

The guy created the most successful selling machine in the stock business in history. He knows what he's talking about. And yes, he's a felon, but he could have used his sales stuff to sell Microsoft or AT&T and he still would have killed it.

arcola

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Feb 17, 2013
Los Angeles
Hey thanks so much for the great feedback guys. I really appreciate your answers. I have to ask, what do you think makes the Jordan Belfort program worth $2000?

And is it really a book or a seminar?

Joshyybaxx

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
241%
Sep 23, 2012
Sydney, Australia.
I've got 2 courses as my go to sales courses, one being Jordan Belfort Straight Line persuasion and the other is Aaron Sansoni The Sales King system.

Sansoni has a little bit more of a complete system with life goals etc.

Belfort has a better system if you're purely looking for sales techniques.

They're both videos with action books and some flash cards.

To answer your question, not sure on the book, Influence is a must read, sales is all about influence. :)

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
I have to ask, what do you think makes the Jordan Belfort program worth $2000?

I will be getting Jordan's course for sure. The info is right there on the sales page http://jordanbelfort.com/products-list/ ....audio CDs, a book, DVDs, flash cards, a case (fancy haha) and a 1 year membership to his website with coaching.

You can lose much more money on worse things being sold online, believe me :headbanger:. I bet Jordan's course is great though.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.