The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What does "embrace the suck" mean?

Anything related to matters of the mind

mav55339

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Jun 2, 2023
This was said to me when I was getting advice on weight loss. How do I "embrace the suck" when it comes to weight loss?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
This was said to me when I was getting advice on weight loss. How do I "embrace the suck" when it comes to weight loss?
Losing weight is going to be uncomfortable and inconvenient(suck), accept(embrace) it.

Nvardaro4

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Jul 2, 2022
“Embrace the suck”. Often used during my time in the military because everything you do sucks. But as I’ve learned in life anything worth doing, anything of value is going to be difficult there fore it will suck. Value is linked to difficulty and “suck.” If it was easy to be in great shape or easy to have a lot of money, then you would just have it but it would have no value. Anything of value is going to have some attachment of suck because it’s going to be difficult. So, you need to expect the suck and embrace the suck and know that by going through it, it will make you better. Stop worrying about how you feel about things. Just do them. Do difficult things as a man. You will slowly gain value. When you see a man in great shape, you should understand that it didn’t happen by accident. He planned for it, he has characteristics of delayed gratification, discipline, hard work, consistency, focus, and grit. Be this type of man.

mav55339

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Jun 2, 2023
“Embrace the suck”. Often used during my time in the military because everything you do sucks. But as I’ve learned in life anything worth doing, anything of value is going to be difficult there fore it will suck. Value is linked to difficulty and “suck.” If it was easy to be in great shape or easy to have a lot of money, then you would just have it but it would have no value. Anything of value is going to have some attachment of suck because it’s going to be difficult. So, you need to expect the suck and embrace the suck and know that by going through it, it will make you better. Stop worrying about how you feel about things. Just do them. Do difficult things as a man. You will slowly gain value. When you see a man in great shape, you should understand that it didn’t happen by accident. He planned for it, he has characteristics of delayed gratification, discipline, hard work, consistency, focus, and grit. Be this type of man.
Awesome thanks

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
What do you mean by embrace it? How do I embrace it?
It’s like when you have to walk 5 miles and it starts raining. Instead of thinking this sucks and soaking wet. You say, come on nature is that all you’ve got?! Give me more rain! Bring it on. And you power through your walk and arrive all pumped up.

Subsonic

How you do anything is how you do everything
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
282%
Aug 16, 2022
Germany
Did you expect loosing weight to be easy ? No.
Then what's the issue, this is what hard feels like.

That should give you the gist of the concept.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Some tips to help you embrace the suck:

1) Swap "I have to" for "I get to", and rub your hands with glee.

"I have to get up an hour early to go for a run."

"I get to get up an hour early to go for a run."

2) Realise that hurdles (problems) in your path are stepping stones in disguise ... meaning the problems *are* the path (you move forward as you overcome each hurdle).

3) "A stream with no rocks is a stream with no song."

If it's too easy you won't appreciate it.

Len_1590

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 13, 2023
It’s like when you have to walk 5 miles and it starts raining. Instead of thinking this sucks and soaking wet. You say, come on nature is that all you’ve got?! Give me more rain! Bring it on. And you power through your walk and arrive all pumped up.
Honestly, some of the best feelings being out in the rain/snow running/walking and it starts getting heavier.
Looking up at the sky letting it hit your face smiling and laughing and still going.

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
Honestly, some of the best feelings being out in the rain/snow running/walking and it starts getting heavier.
Looking up at the sky letting it hit your face smiling and laughing and still going.

This happened to me a few months back, but instead of looking at the positives I was absolutely livid because I was so wet. Guess my mindset needs some work! ha

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Not just in weight loss. It is pretty much old-school advice to endure hardship first, and then rewards will come.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
557%
Apr 17, 2022
In life you get to choose between pain or suffering.

You either voluntarily go through the pain of disciplining yourself in order to achieve your goals. You gradually and systematically become the person that you want to be.

Or you avoid the pain, follow the pleasure, and end up experiencing endless suffering after 10-20 years because you've missed the mark, have failed to achieve your goals, and your dreams have remained just that - dreams.

I'm not saying that life should be a living hell until you get to your goals. That is a stupid way to go about living life, and it's not sustainable.

But what I am saying is that regardless of the path you've chosen, you will face obstacles, adversity, and things not going according to plan. Adjusting the course always requires discipline, humility, self-reflection, and courage.

In short - a certain level of physical or emotional pain and discomfort.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Matt Lee

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
421%
Aug 9, 2022
I'm down close to 15 lbs since starting my cut. I'm probably another 15-20 lbs from 8% BF.

It's just been switching my mental dialogue from "Oh man, not this again"... the daily fasting, 1 huge meal a day, cardio, and loads of water...

to "bring it on" whatever I need to do to look how I want to look.

You realize either way it SUCKS right? Being overweight SUCKS. Losing weight and having to cut down on what you eat SUCKS.

Whether it's weight loss or weight gain, everything has a drawback and a price. You're choosing what you would rather suffer over. To suffer for a lean body you're proud of that displays discipline and health or... a fat body that constantly reminds you that you have no self-control. It's one pain over the other. It's not going to be easy.

So choose what you'd be willing to embrace the suck for. Embracing is just making a mental choice to go do it.

It's always a better feeling to get to choose what you would want to sacrifice for a certain goal. It's like how people voluntarily put themselves in a 180°F sauna vs people crying about the weather walking in the 105 °F summer heat.

Also, man, once you shed off like 5 lbs your inner positive feedback loop kicks in. You'll lose weight a lot faster and easier once you just get into the rhythm of moving your body and eating clean.

mikecarlooch

Apprentice & Student Of The Game
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
354%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
consistent repetition of the basics.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
This happened to me a few months back, but instead of looking at the positives I was absolutely livid because I was so wet. Guess my mindset needs some work! ha
At some point, you are so miserable that you embrace it and it just becomes funny. For example, you are hiking and it's pouring and it's miserable. You stop to eat lunch and find out your backpack was open and your lunch is completely soaked. At this point, do you bitch and moan or just laugh hysterically? This is the difference between enjoying the rest of your hike and being pissed off the rest of the day.

mav55339

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Jun 2, 2023
I'm down close to 15 lbs since starting my cut. I'm probably another 15-20 lbs from 8% BF.

It's just been switching my mental dialogue from "Oh man, not this again"... the daily fasting, 1 huge meal a day, cardio, and loads of water...

You realize either way it SUCKS right? Being overweight SUCKS. Losing weight and having to cut down on what you eat SUCKS.

Whether it's weight loss or weight gain, everything has a drawback and a price. You're choosing what you would rather suffer over. To suffer for a lean body you're proud of that displays discipline and health or... a fat body that constantly reminds you that you have no self-control. It's one pain over the other. It's not going to be easy.

So choose what you'd be willing to embrace the suck for. Embracing is just making a mental choice to go do it.

It's always a better feeling to get to choose what you would want to sacrifice for a certain goal. It's like how people voluntarily put themselves in a 180°F sauna vs people crying about the weather walking in the 105 °F summer heat.

Also, man, once you shed off like 5 lbs your inner positive feedback loop kicks in. You'll lose weight a lot faster and easier once you just get into the rhythm of moving your body and eating clean.
Awesome thanks

mav55339

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Jun 2, 2023
In life you get to choose between pain or suffering.

You either voluntarily go through the pain of disciplining yourself in order to achieve your goals. You gradually and systematically become the person that you want to be.

Or you avoid the pain, follow the pleasure, and end up experiencing endless suffering after 10-20 years because you've missed the mark, have failed to achieve your goals, and your dreams have remained just that - dreams.

I'm not saying that life should be a living hell until you get to your goals. That is a stupid way to go about living life, and it's not sustainable.

But what I am saying is that regardless of the path you've chosen, you will face obstacles, adversity, and things not going according to plan. Adjusting the course always requires discipline, humility, self-reflection, and courage.

In short - a certain level of physical or emotional pain and discomfort.
I see thanks

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
At some point, you are so miserable that you embrace it and it just becomes funny. For example, you are hiking and it's pouring and it's miserable. You stop to eat lunch and find out your backpack was open and your lunch is completely soaked. At this point, do you bitch and moan or just laugh hysterically? This is the difference between enjoying the rest of your hike and being pissed off the rest of the day.
True, but it can be easier than done. Especially when you live in a country you hate.

mav55339

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Jun 2, 2023
Good point

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
462%
Mar 15, 2018

“Embrace the suck” is fore more than just weight loss. It’s about life.

Best explained by the man who used to be fat, unsuccessful, loser in every possible definition of the word … only to emerge as the hardest man alive:
View: https://youtu.be/A-wsBfpyfVs

mav55339

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Jun 2, 2023

Thanks. It sucks either way really puts it in perspective for me. All I have to do is choose the suck which benefits me.

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
Here's my favorite video of him. His books honestly are the best if you read them. I love David Goggins.

His best advice for getting stuff done, he said in order to develop a callous mind. It's doing the exact opposite of what your brain wants.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=X0s1D4-CnDs&fbclid=IwAR3vg32J-qn4s_cQBsZqMJZq_epMcnPQNB97fQZX46MO8kw4E5AljI4gMmc&ab_channel=WakeUpMentality

Rangermac2

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Jun 1, 2020
Tennessee
To embrace the suck means to accept the discomfort for its rewards. For weight loss, many people will quit because it sucks when you're pouring sweat, your muscles are burning, and you're trying to catch your breath. A juxtaposition forms because it's more comfortable not to lose weight but it leaves you worse off. Embrace the immediate suck, the struggles and you will improve

Jocko Willink has a good video on that, about saying "good" in the face of adversity - things that suck, are rewarding to accomplish

mav55339

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Jun 2, 2023
To embrace the suck means to accept the discomfort for its rewards. For weight loss, many people will quit because it sucks when you're pouring sweat, your muscles are burning, and you're trying to catch your breath. A juxtaposition forms because it's more comfortable not to lose weight but it leaves you worse off. Embrace the immediate suck, the struggles and you will improve

Jocko Willink has a good video on that, about saying "good" in the face of adversity - things that suck, are rewarding to accomplish
Thanks

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.