The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What Did You Learn From Math?

sravi

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Dec 1, 2012
What are some awesome paradigm shifting truths that you learned about life, business and the universe thanks to math?

For me it is the realization that cutting corners just isn't worth it if one sits down and does the actual math. Money if it isn't spent, grows exponentially with time.

I love sitting down with a spreadsheet and doing scary life math or calculations these days.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
The biggest paradigm shift for me was Pareto's law, the 80/20 principle. I try to use it as much as possible as it is so powerful, especially in business. Knowing there is a big disparity between related figures that you can then use for your advantage is very enlightening.

For example knowing that 80% of your profits will come from 20% of your products and 80% of your sales will come from 20% of your customer base. So finding ways of reducing the costs of those top selling products and identifying the commonalities of your best customers so you can focus on marketing to similar audiences will make a huge difference to your bottom line with the least amount of time and effort.

We should all be leveraging the Pareto principle wherever we can.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
The biggest paradigm shift for me was Pareto's law, the 80/20 principle. I try to use it as much as possible as it is so powerful, especially in business. Knowing there is a big disparity between related figures that you can then use for your advantage is very enlightening.

For example knowing that 80% of your profits will come from 20% of your products and 80% of your sales will come from 20% of your customer base. So finding ways of reducing the costs of those top selling products and identifying the commonalities of your best customers so you can focus on marketing to similar audiences will make a huge difference to your bottom line with the least amount of time and effort.

We should all be leveraging the Pareto principle wherever we can.
And that 80/20 is fractal in nature. Do 80/20 twice and you end up with 64/4.

Half our results could be coming from only 5% of our input.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
I love the universality of math. Unlike the rules of language..."i before e, except after c, and wherever else it's wrong" 2+2 is always 4.

Olimac21

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Dec 3, 2015
Belo Horizonte, Brasil
I loved math when I was a kid because the more you practice the better you got at it, period and there was only one correct answer, not like in social sciences subjects where your answer is open to interpretation

It is an exercise of persistence and logical thinking, if you do 100 exercises of something you are struggling with it is almost impossible to not see improvements.

Recently I read from Charlie Munger the importance of decision trees and inversion (Invert the problem) very basic ideas but powerful if applied correctly.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
I love maths, because its straight and honest!
NO bullshit!

Tubs

Starting fresh
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
277%
Apr 5, 2019
VA
When I was in middle school I remember being bored in class and messing around with my calculator. I started messing around with adding up how much I made at my part time job to see how much I'd make over the course of a year and how long it would take me to make a million dollars if I didn't spend any money.

250 years!

So I started calculating for full work weeks with higher wages. Even without factoring in any expenses it was taking an incredibly long time. So I ended up realizing early that a job couldn't make you rich. Messing around with the numbers I realized the importance of scale pretty early on. But I didn't really think of any realistic ways to implement it and promptly forgot about it when I went to lunch the next period :rofl:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.