The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What Catches Your Attention?? MJ said he would answer it on the forum.

Marketing, social media, advertising

River McTasney

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Mar 13, 2019
I ask, "What catches your attention?"

The reason I ask is because I study a lot of neuromarketing and subconscious influence. I wanted the general question to be answered by the first thing that came to mind. Maybe I should ask, "What do you think catches your attention?"

I originally asked MJ this directly because I wanted an uninterrupted answer by somebody who receives a much higher income. The reason for this target is because like MJ said in TMF , he already has everything he wants and if he wants anything else he just goes and buys it. So I want to know what catches the attention of the guy who already has everything he wants. MJ wanted me to ask more detailed questions but where would that lead the creativity of the thread? I think I'll leave it general and see where it goes.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
A nice car for a reasonable price would catch my attention.

Like the Audi Q8 for I dunno ... $50k .... that would grab my attention I guess.

audi-q8.jpg

A woman with a nice big round butt and nice physique would catch my attention I guess.

ef674bc6de67bd2561128a3f2202200e.jpg

Nice house that looks stunning and has great views (location, location, location) and a nice price tag would also grab my attention.

imagereader.aspx

A replicable business model that can generate a million dollars for anyone that follows the steps outlined in its manual would also grab my attention.

how-to-start-a-franchise.jpg

Insights into how things really work whether its societal, politics, business, banking, power or whatever also catches my attention.

the_dictators_handbook_why_bad_behavior_is_almost_always_good_politics_1501907867_d227691c.jpg

A really good story - presented with great animation/gfx and cinematography would also grab my attention.

Netflix-series-2017-blog~2018-01-09-09-33-35~cache.jpg

Almost everything else won't grab my attention.

Not into sports, not into who's beefing with who, not interested in chicken sandwich craze on social media, not into most news stories, not really into social media like instagram etc.

Last edited:

Achieve_Bay

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 5, 2019
as a consumer what catches my attention is something I'm either already looking for (example being: if I'm actively looking for a new TV, and I hear something good about a certain brand) or something that is related to one of my interests (example: I'm a huge Superhero guy, so if I see something with that kind of theme I'd be more inclined to buy it)

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
A replicable business model that can generate a million dollars for anyone that follows the steps outlined in its manual would also grab my attention.

Is there any way to get a hold of manual for these types of companies? I didnt know they come with manuals. I feel like analyzing the franchise booklets, if there are any, would be a veritable goldmine of business ideas.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
Is there any way to get a hold of manual for these types of companies? I didnt know they come with manuals. I feel like analyzing the franchise booklets, if there are any, would be a veritable goldmine of business ideas.

Most of the good ones come with manuals called standard operating procedures. I believe you'll only get hold of the SOP once you pay the franchise fee, not before (because of the sensitive IP info in them).

Entre Eyes

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Sep 7, 2019
Traveling to Higher Conciousness
A nice car for a reasonable price would catch my attention.

Like the Audi Q8 for I dunno ... $50k .... that would grab my attention I guess.

audi-q8.jpg

A woman with a nice big round butt and nice physique would catch my attention I guess.

ef674bc6de67bd2561128a3f2202200e.jpg

Nice house that looks stunning and has great views (location, location, location) and a nice price tag would also grab my attention.

imagereader.aspx

Insights into how things really work whether its societal, politics, business, banking, power or whatever also catches my attention.

the_dictators_handbook_why_bad_behavior_is_almost_always_good_politics_1501907867_d227691c.jpg

A really good story - presented with great animation/gfx and cinematography would also grab my attention.

Netflix-series-2017-blog~2018-01-09-09-33-35~cache.jpg

Almost everything else won't grab my attention.

Not into sports, not into who's beefing with who, not interested in chicken sandwich craze on social media, not into most news stories, not really into social media like instagram etc.

You my friend are the 2nd Most Interesting Man. :)

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Most of the good ones come with manuals called standard operating procedures. I believe you'll only get hold of the SOP once you pay the franchise fee, not before (because of the sensitive IP info in them).
Yea but those things gotta be somewhere on the internet somewhere. Or there's gotta be someone willing to scan them.

broswoodwork

Intermediate User of the Flying Guillotine
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
313%
Oct 16, 2015
Yea but those things gotta be somewhere on the internet somewhere. Or there's gotta be someone willing to scan them.
@Walter Hay 's book talks about some strong NDA verbiage for folks who actually join the organization, which they'd likely have to do before getting the op manual. I think it'd be tough to get someone to risk takeback of their entire investment, plus litigation, to leak the franchise operation books.

Maybe a disgruntled former franchisee? But they may be books from a less than stellar operation.

I don't know...

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja

kkoasdfawfqwe2

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Feb 17, 2017
Europe
Oh darn... I know Apple's Customer Service manual leaked online and that was a goldmine. Maybe you'd have to make friends with some franchisees.

My first job was in Apple's customer service (by phone).

I was stunned as to how specific and neat procedures they have, and not to mention how they have procedures for 99% of things that can happen.

And for the most part, these procedures actually work and are very effective.

To be honest I became a bigger Apple fan by working at them, they truly treat their customers well if you ask me. At least they let us treat the customers well.

Oh you accidently paid $5.000 in the appstore? OK no problem, let me refund that for you...

The amount of people crying from happiness over the phone actually made the work quite meaningful in some way.

Let me know if you want to know specifics if there is anything you might want to apply to your own business.

Bertram

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 25, 2015
Virginia
A hummingbird.
A good voice.
Coffee aroma.
Iridescent dragonfly parked in the air.
Forecasting clouds.
Steamy shower.
Strawberry.
Getting the joke.
Humility.
Desert silence.
A scrambling deer's shadow.
Eroded three-foot swells my kayak floats over like a bubble.
Meow.
Bronze.
A threatened innocent.
Walk down a mountain.
Ancient village canal.
A Watteau illuminated by real daylight.
Haunting folk bluesy train-calling violin.
Bach English Suites No. 2.
Scruffy ice-coated forest.
Salsa group.
Selfless action.
Blue water.
Spoken Russian.
Horizon.
Samurai armor.
Fine holster.
Bob Ross.
Honeybees bopping on the flowers.
Morality.
Child leaning in for encouragement.
All green lights.

Last edited:

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Steak.
Dogs being walked on the street.
Scenes I see visualized as paintings.
BF's buns. Tee hee

Bertram

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 25, 2015
Virginia
"What grabs your attention?"

"SOP manuals!"
"Yeah!"
"Yeah!"
"Me too!"
"I'm in!"
"Yeah!"

Funny.

Last edited:

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I ask, "What catches your attention?"

The reason I ask is because I study a lot of neuromarketing and subconscious influence. I wanted the general question to be answered by the first thing that came to mind. Maybe I should ask, "What do you think catches your attention?"

I originally asked MJ this directly because I wanted an uninterrupted answer by somebody who receives a much higher income. The reason for this target is because like MJ said in TMF , he already has everything he wants and if he wants anything else he just goes and buys it. So I want to know what catches the attention of the guy who already has everything he wants. MJ wanted me to ask more detailed questions but where would that lead the creativity of the thread? I think I'll leave it general and see where it goes.

Not sure what exactly you're asking for (as I mentioned in my response) but here's some immediate things that come to mind...

Email: Demonstration of an effort, one that shows you've done your research and due diligence. I get a ton of email and it is impossible to respond to it all. Lets just say if you ask me a question that was clearly outlined in one (or both) of my books, you are unlikely to get a response. If you refer to me as "DJ DeMarco", you probably won't get a response. If you mention something that few people know (again, showing you've done your research) I might pay attention.

In terms of advertising or marketing: humor and risk taking will get my attention. Not saying that this technique is effective, just that it will garner my observation because I'm always looking at things from a student/observer/entrepreneur perspective.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Carnies.

(Circus folk. Nomads, you know. Smell like cabbage. Small hands.)

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Haha at @100k !

For me personally.. these things garner my attention:

1. Good design
2. Attractive women
3. The laptop guy in the corner in the hoody amongst a room full of suits
4. Anything or anybody going backwards or going the opposite way (trends, etc.)
5. Passion, enthusiasm
6. Effort that's self initiated
7. Someone who's only flash of wealth is the low key Audemar on his wrist
8. Beautiful car engineering (mainly super & hyper cars)
9. Bad body language

In regards to like ads or social media type stuff; the only things that grab my attention is something that's deep on a hobby or passion of mine. Example: An entrepreneur meme won't catch my attention, but someone posting something about entrepreneurial depression will surely catch it.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
@Walter Hay 's book talks about some strong NDA verbiage for folks who actually join the organization, which they'd likely have to do before getting the op manual. I think it'd be tough to get someone to risk takeback of their entire investment, plus litigation, to leak the franchise operation books.

Maybe a disgruntled former franchisee? But they may be books from a less than stellar operation.

I don't know...
Anyone who passed on an SOP, or Operations Manual would be taking an almighty risk. I guarded mine jealously, because it alone was worth more than the franchise license fee I charged new franchisees.

My books are hacked by black hat criminals and I let that pass me by, because they contain affiliate links that generate passive income, and they also become obsolete as changes occur in the industries such as sourcing, importing, freight and product labeling.

My franchise operations manual on the other hand contained full descriptions of unique and incredibly effective advertising techniques, face to face sales techniques, technical product information not even understood by virtually every competitor, as well as a list of tried and tested suppliers who allowed my franchisees great privileges because of my long standing reputation.

If anyone would like a copy the price is $50,000.

Walter

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.